• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - is available now on PC

Jayjayhd34

Yeah not great. NEVER had my PC shut off (though it wasn't the PC, but the UPS I've got it connected to). Saw a max of about 800W in power draw just on the main menu + shader compilation. Crazy.

That's strange I'm getting 700 watts for my whole flat with an rtx 4080

Kataploom

Gold Member
RE4 doesnt give the true vram usage to be honest.
The game uses around 7-7.5gb vram on my PC (1080ti with 11gb vram), yet in the settings its saying like 12gb vram usage or soemthing like that.

Also, and i know its blasphemy to say this with some PC users, but i play on a 60hz tv, so i play games at vsync 60fps. Most of these AAA games are console ports on PC, and using console like settings (60fps) negates a lot of these problems people have with recent PC ports (loading stutter, crashing, etc). At least for me and my PC anyway.
That's probably one of the reasons why I don't get any problem on PC, I play on a TV but leave FPS unlocked or fixed at 60-120 fps most of the time and I never pick Ultra settings, those are literally "unoptimized settings" for dick measuring internet contests.

While playing Quantum Break two days ago, I started getting a very annoying black flickering artifact, I'm on a 6700xt and playing the game at 1800p, and doing some tests I lowered the resolution to 1440p and it got magically fixed, like the game wasn't designed for very high resolutions at unlocked fps and it gets artifacts due to game engine trying to run out of its bounds.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Shit. If shader compilation is taking an hour and the CPU is maxed out for an hour, it might kill the CPU like those 3080 Tis running Diablo right?

I had this issue in Fortnite. For some reason, the first map took forever to load and it had my CPU running at 100% 188 Watts and went up to 85 degrees. It never goes above 60 watts in games. This happened for a good 3-5 minutes. I was starting to get worried, but then it loaded. Must have been doing shader compilation now that I think about it.

An hour on a 13900k is fucking nuts. I was going to install it but now im going to wait. Dont want my CPU dying.
You think a CPU maxed out for 1 hour will kill it?

What would I do when I render stuff for weeks in a row...

Stuart360

Well, I did not expect to spend my first hour in Last of Us to be spent in menu watching my CPU get toasted that's for sure
If its anyhting like the Unchated 4 port (which i believe the same devs did the port), if you lock the game to like 60fps while theshaders are compiling, your system wont be flogged to death.
the problem is it has the polygon title screen on while compiling and unlocked framerates means the system is being pushed hard while the compiling is happening.

Sheesh, not looking forward to the lengthy shader compilation on my i5-13600KF, not least because while it might take 30-60 hours or whatever, as soon as I update my graphics drivers then it will require the shaders to be recompiled all over again. This is the really annoying thing about this whole process on PC as you cannot just generate them one-time on first running the game and that's it until you uninstall the game. It's the one advantage that the consoles have over PC as they can load the game in seconds on first loading it up whereas PC owners do not get that luxury.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Have you played TLOU Part 1 already?
Nope. waited for the PC version after seeing the console version didnt hit native 4k 40 fps most of the time. them patching out the 40 fps mode kept from getting it during the black friday sale.

Hopefully my 3080 can get me a 40 fps locked experience at 4k. If not, i can always switch to dlss quality which often times creates a much more stable image.

RE4 doesnt give the true vram usage to be honest.
The game uses around 7-7.5gb vram on my PC (1080ti with 11gb vram), yet in the settings its saying like 12gb vram usage or soemthing like that.

Also, and i know its blasphemy to say this with some PC users, but i play on a 60hz tv, so i play games at vsync 60fps. Most of these AAA games are console ports on PC, and using console like settings (60fps) negates a lot of these problems people have with recent PC ports (loading stutter, crashing, etc). At least for me and my PC anyway.
Yeah, I was talking about the MSI Afterburner counter for regular RAM. VRAM in that game even with the highest textures hardly every goes above 7.5 GB but the system ram definitely went over 16 GB in at least one section.

I also play at 60 fps. Would rather have good IQ than 120 fps on my first run. However, my latest experience with PC games has been really really rough. They run fine with RT off. 60 fps locked at native 4k or dlss, but the moment I turn on RT, everything goes haywire. Gotham knights had these ridiculous stutters every 20-25 minutes that would last for a minute. Literally 2-3 fps slideshows. Hogwarts is a stuttering mess thanks to framerate fluctuations that go from a locked 60 fps to 30 fps out of nowhere. RE8 straight up crashes with RT on if you dont stay under their vram limit by 3GB. And even then it crashes and causes massive stutters randomly. Ive been playing RT games since 2019 and i know there is a performance cost and im willing to cut my resolution in half to get RT but no matter what I do with these latest games, I just cant get RT to run on my $850 3080. A card I bought just to play games in RT because my PS5 was not good enough for RT.

Denton

Shader comp done!

Took some 20-30 minutes I think. It was ok. But like Uncharted 4 the game does not support DSR natively so setting desktop to 4K beforehand is needed. How annoying.

Needlecrash

This game is a resource MONSTER. HOLY SHIT.
annoyed season 1 GIF by Animals

Stuart360

Nope. waited for the PC version after seeing the console version didnt hit native 4k 40 fps most of the time. them patching out the 40 fps mode kept from getting it during the black friday sale.

Hopefully my 3080 can get me a 40 fps locked experience at 4k. If not, i can always switch to dlss quality which often times creates a much more stable image.

Yeah, I was talking about the MSI Afterburner counter for regular RAM. VRAM in that game even with the highest textures hardly every goes above 7.5 GB but the system ram definitely went over 16 GB in at least one section.

I also play at 60 fps. Would rather have good IQ than 120 fps on my first run. However, my latest experience with PC games has been really really rough. They run fine with RT off. 60 fps locked at native 4k or dlss, but the moment I turn on RT, everything goes haywire. Gotham knights had these ridiculous stutters every 20-25 minutes that would last for a minute. Literally 2-3 fps slideshows. Hogwarts is a stuttering mess thanks to framerate fluctuations that go from a locked 60 fps to 30 fps out of nowhere. RE8 straight up crashes with RT on if you dont stay under their vram limit by 3GB. And even then it crashes and causes massive stutters randomly. Ive been playing RT games since 2019 and i know there is a performance cost and im willing to cut my resolution in half to get RT but no matter what I do with these latest games, I just cant get RT to run on my $850 3080. A card I bought just to play games in RT because my PS5 was not good enough for RT.
Yeah i have noticed a lot of recent problems with PC ports is also down to RT, especially with Resi 4 which will just crash if you run out of vram.
Obviously with my 1080ti i dont use RT. Thats also probably one of the other reason why i raraley get these problems a lot of people get with rcent PC games.

Poppyseed

Based on the initial opening scene, THIS GAME LOOKS AMAZING ON PC! Digital Foundry is going to praise the heck out of this game, shader compilation be damned. Just played through to the... you know... that sad part early on, - zero stutters.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Based on the initial opening scene, THIS GAME LOOKS AMAZING ON PC! Digital Foundry is going to praise the heck out of this game, shader compilation be damned. Just played through to the... you know... that sad part early on, - zero stutters.
Doesn't it look pretty much identical to the PS5 version? I'm assuming maxed out might be a tad better but nothing really big.

Incredible remake and game. The best way to play it. They really shat the bed with the marketing.

copying over my post from the PC OT:
The enemies have begged for mercy since the original game in 2012 though?

You have to hit them with a specific combo to trigger it. I wasn't a fan of the way they did it in Part 2 because Ellie uses a pocket knife instead of just her fists like Joel so it's harder to trigger.

The combo is Last Enemy+Brick+Melee=Begging for Mercy.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

I think you will be pleasantly surprised once you sit down and play it. To me it went toe to toe with HFW as the best visuals last year. The marketing did a terrible job

Poppyseed

Doesn't it look pretty much identical to the PS5 version? I'm assuming maxed out might be a tad better but nothing really big.
Much prettier/higher resolution. I'm incredibly impressed with this port - might be one of the best I've ever seen. Admittedly I'm in a beefy PC, but I'm so used to stutter everywhere that this is a really, really pleasant surprise.

Yes. Actually, my UPS just completely died while doing this, - the whole process on the main menu is hitting my GPU + CPU at full blast! Computer fully shut off, grrr!

Anyway, specs are 13700K, 4090, 32GB DDR4-something or other (3600 I think). Thankfully the shaders aren't having to start from scratch in the rebuild, but a bit concerned about the power consumption while it's doing it!
So that’s a bit of a problem I’d say.

Just bought 32GB set from Amazon as it seems like a reasonable time to upgrade. Hopefully your rig is fine following that shit!

Poppyseed

So that’s a bit of a problem I’d say.

Just bought 32GB set from Amazon as it seems like a reasonable time to upgrade. Hopefully your rig is fine following that shit!
Yeah, system is fine. Powered right back up. First time this has ever, ever happened. Anyway, played through a bit of the game post-prologue and again, zero stutter. In fact, right after the title-screen credits after the prologue, there's a pan down to the streets with the two characters (no spoilers), and I was EXPECTING a frame skip it happens so often in games these days, and nope - nothing.

Based on the first 30-45 mins, therefore, this is a TOP-quality port. I can't speak for later, and I also can't speak for lesser hardware, but wow - this is glorious so far.

RagnarokIV

Probably gonna buy this when I get home now... aghh.

Anyone tested on something near my spec - 13600k / 3070 / 32GB?

Last edited:

Denton

After the shader comp is done (30 minutes or so?), everything else seems gravy - looks and runs great.

Only issue I have is with "heavy" controls, like the turning around with controller stick has some inertia which personally I find annoying (and always have in the console versions too).

Gaiff

Port running beautifully for me. Shaders took 20 minutes but that's no big deal when the quality is good.

After the shader comp is done (30 minutes or so?), everything else seems gravy - looks and runs great.

Only issue I have is with "heavy" controls, like the turning around with controller stick has some inertia which personally I find annoying (and always have in the console versions too).
For now it's cool but won't be as cool when you update your GPU drivers and have to go through this again.

M1987

Those trailers don't give the impression it is a PS5 game. Looks very similar to TLOU2, or even TLOU1 on PS3 (but perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me).
It's on a completely different level visually compared to the PS3/PS4 version

Pagusas

Elden Member
Shit. If shader compilation is taking an hour and the CPU is maxed out for an hour, it might kill the CPU like those 3080 Tis running Diablo right?

I had this issue in Fortnite. For some reason, the first map took forever to load and it had my CPU running at 100% 188 Watts and went up to 85 degrees. It never goes above 60 watts in games. This happened for a good 3-5 minutes. I was starting to get worried, but then it loaded. Must have been doing shader compilation now that I think about it.

An hour on a 13900k is fucking nuts. I was going to install it but now im going to wait. Dont want my CPU dying.
I'm shaking my head at how bad this post is.

Killer8

A few people are complaining about crashes, very heavy shader compilation and very high vram usage.
From the guru3d forums:

Seems like another shit port from Iron galaxy.

But I was told in another thread that there is no such thing as too high vram usage! Because many other games also have high vram usage!!

Anyway it's a shame that this is yet another release to add to the list of "console exclusives that have hit PC too but are still pretty much a console exclusive if you want an actually functional product".

Gaiff

But I was told in another thread that there is no such thing as too high vram usage! Because many other games also have high vram usage!!

Anyway it's a shame that this is yet another release to add to the list of "console exclusives that have hit PC too but are still pretty much a console exclusive if you want an actually functional product".
I'm hearing that the port is excellent.

Denton

For now it's cool but won't be as cool when you update your GPU drivers and have to go through this again.
That is true, but it is fairly easy to simply not update while in the middle of a playthrough.

Not the case at all. I have 16GB RAM, 12GB VRAM and it is fine, it just requires large swap file.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

Like most games in the last few years, it's better to wait for a few patches.

M1987

Let me know how it performs on the 3080.Bought mine a few days ago,and I'm already regretting it because of the vram maxing out on RE4

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Those trailers don't give the impression it is a PS5 game. Looks very similar to TLOU2, or even TLOU1 on PS3 (but perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me).

It’s your memory. Back when Diablo 2 Resurrected releases I was thinking that it looked the same. Then I switched to the old graphics and oof!

Bojji

If the 3080 is vram limited by this game too it's going in the bin

I'm just changing my 3060ti to 6800 (and will have to pay ~125$ afer selling 3060) because all those vram limited games are driving me nuts. Fuck this shit and fuck slightly worse RT performance (compared to my GPU), I can't stand low res textures and stuttering.

Nvidia is fucked up with their high price - low vram cards, outside 4090, 4xxx series is shit and not interesting to me (and I don't have money for 4090 LOL).

Man that sounds like such a headache :LOL:

M1987

I'm just changing my 3060ti to 6800 (and will have to pay ~125$ afer selling 3060) because all those vram limited games are driving me nuts. Fuck this shit and fuck slightly worse RT performance (compared to my GPU), I can't stand low res textures and stuttering.

Nvidia is fucked up with their high price - low vram cards, outside 4090, 4xxx series is shit and not interesting to me (and I don't have money for 4090 LOL).
I had the 6800 before I got this 3080 a few days ago and it was a really good card

Top Bottom