• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Last Of Us’ becomes HBO’s 2nd largest debut after ‘House Of The Dragon’ since 2010 with 4.7M viewers

jakinov

You can't really compare HBO shows to other network shows because they are only reporting on US and it's behind a pay wall no matter how you access it. It's a big number relative to other HBO shows
Other networks also only report US, they don’t operate much if at all outside the US. There’s no contention that it’s a big number for HBO, I just don’t think theres anything crazy about it disagree with the idea that shows takes seasons to build up viewership when most go down.

Ulysses 31

Confused Thinking GIF
Maybe he's hate watching. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Yoboman

Other networks also only report US, they don’t operate much if at all outside the US. There’s no contention that it’s a big number for HBO, I just don’t think theres anything crazy about it disagree with the idea that shows takes seasons to build up viewership when most go down.
Game of Thrones started at 2.2 million first episode, averaged 2.5 million by the end of the season 1. By season 7 it averaged 12 million 🤷‍♂️

This is the biggest launch of a new series HBO have had since Game of Thrones. Comfortably beating out the likes of Succession, White Lotus, Euphoria, Chernobyl... all averaging a 500k-1m in their first seasons

Not sure why you're trying to downplay that

JaksGhost

It's good for HBO standards but it's not crazy for a new show broadly speaking. Shows premier with as much as double/triple/quadriple those numbers all the time from just linear alone. . And vast majority of shows decline over time not build up, there's only a handful of exceptions. Not saying Last of Us won't build up over time. But there's nothing crazy about a new show getting 4.7M viewers across linear and streaming in 24 hours when every year you ca find handful of premiere with millions of more viewers from just linear.

It's good for the show and for HBO standards but it's nothing to get too excited about yet.
That was for first time viewing and not within 24 hours of airing. Hell it’s only been 22 hours since it first aired so all of this just a bullshit coping mechanism.

jakinov

Game of Thrones started at 2.2 million first episode, averaged 2.5 million by the end of the season 1. By season 7 it averaged 12 million 🤷‍♂️

This is the biggest launch of a new series HBO have had since Game of Thrones. Comfortably beating out the likes of Succession, White Lotus, Euphoria, Chernobyl... all averaging a 500k-1m in their first seasons

Not sure why you're trying to downplay that
As I mentioned in my original post there are exceptions but most shows trend down.

I’m not downplaying the actual achievement I just thought what you said was hyperbolic and also disagreed with the idea that shows “usually” get big after a couple of seasons. It’s like when Microsoft goes and says this is the biggest launch since XYZ I mean it’s great for Xbox but nothing I would call crazy.

jakinov

That was for first time viewing and not within 24 hours of airing. Hell it’s only been 22 hours since it first aired so all of this just a bullshit coping mechanism.
The 24 hours refers to streaming on HBO Max that’s how they measure debut views. Secondly, it’s Tuesday today.

Yoboman

As I mentioned in my original post there are exceptions but most shows trend down.

I’m not downplaying the actual achievement I just thought what you said was hyperbolic and also disagreed with the idea that shows “usually” get big after a couple of seasons. It’s like when Microsoft goes and says this is the biggest launch since XYZ I mean it’s great for Xbox but nothing I would call crazy.
What examples do you have of shows declining?

If you think by the end this show will be on a downward trend...i think i have bad news for you.

jakinov

What examples do you have of shows declining?s
Almost every show. The exceptions are ones that continue to grow rapidly due to mass word-of-mouth and buzz (awards, articles, twitter, etc.) which is not most of them.

There's a good example in the article, Boardwalk Empire premiere was it's peak it was critically acclaimed too. It went down in viewership throughout the season and evey season after that. That's the average lifecycle of a show. People start shows that they might not end up liking so much or find something else that's a higher priority. It's why stuff that companies have been perfect fine renewing for years suddenly get cancelled at later seasons.

For The Last of Us the vocal fanbase of the games and this show, critis, journalist, etc. can help make it also do the opposite and increase to the finale and grow. As I said in my first post I'm not saying this show can't be one of the exceptions and grow. I just simply disagree that it's usual or normal.
If you think by the end this show will be on a downward trend...i think i have bad news for you.
I never said that. I even said in my first post I don't think that. But it could still happen. The show can get too boring for a mainstream audience in later episodes, who knows.

Hawkeye93

Neo Member
I know he is a producer on it
But I doubt Druckmann really has any pull regarding that or the future of the series.
if he wanted to change anything he would of done so in the game.
all the changes in the show was probably done by the studio team and Druckmann just agreed.
And if he didn't they would have just argued about it and done it anyway.
it's been well documented that the studio does what it wants regardless of the producer/writer/director or creator.
this is why a lot of creator's & writer's leave a series because they have no power in the end.
If the studio wants to change something they will and Druckmann will just have coke & a smile with his cheque.
What? Druckmann is a co-showrunner. He has as much as pull as Mazin with the series. In the official podcast, Craig said that every change in the show has to be pitched to Neil and then they make the decision together.

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
Yall are hilarious if you think they are changing the story of TLOU2 for this. But thats probably 2-3 years out.

Druckman is attached, hes not going to change that. It will play out the same way maybe with some added context. They might even add in Abby before hand so we don't have to do as many flashbacks

Yoboman

Yall are hilarious if you think they are changing the story of TLOU2 for this. But thats probably 2-3 years out.

Druckman is attached, hes not going to change that. It will play out the same way maybe with some added context. They might even add in Abby before hand so we don't have to do as many flashbacks
The story will remain the same, but I expect they could change the structure of the story.

What? Druckmann is a co-showrunner. He has as much as pull as Mazin with the series. In the official podcast, Craig said that every change in the show has to be pitched to Neil and then they make the decision together.

Yeah, if you listen to the podcast it is pretty clear that its Druckmann’s show as much as Mazin’s. Mazin had to pitch the idea of the 60’s talk show to Neil twice before they agreed upon it. They were originally gonna do almost a National Geographic video of an ant being consumed by cordeceps but decided it wasn’t compelling enough to start a tv series.

Last edited:

Hawkeye93

Neo Member
Yeah, if you listen to the podcast it is pretty clear that its Druckmann’s show as much as Mazin’s. Mazin had to pitch the idea of the 60’s talk show to Neil twice before they agreed upon it. They were originally gonna do almost a National Geographic video of an ant being consumed by cordeceps but decided it wasn’t compelling enough to start a tv series.
I'm glad Neil changed his mind on that because the documentary video they talked about really would not have made the same impact.

Vick

I'm glad Neil changed his mind on that because the documentary video they talked about really would not have made the same impact.
Have you seen that documentary?

It's unsettling as fuck:

It's because of this one segment the franchise was born.

But yeah, the talk show addition was great and I loved the way it was shot and framed. Actually, I feel the urge to rewatch the whole episode again for some reason.

Airbus Jr

Banned
They must regret TLOU2 story now that they have Pedro Pascal on board. They have to rewrite the whole thing (it was a mess anyway).

Abby actress will be the most hated actress in the history of the medium. Good luck to they/them.
The movie will deviate from the game

Abby thought she was hitting someone but turns out its just a pillow or some other dude that look like joel

Movie Joel still alive and carries on living

Win - win for everyone

Last edited:
Have you seen that documentary?

It's unsettling as fuck:

It's because of this one segment the franchise was born.

But yeah, the talk show addition was great and I loved the way it was shot and framed. Actually, I feel the urge to rewatch the whole episode again for some reason.

I actually saw this or something like it well before TLOU came out and it always stuck with me. I always wondered why no one made a science fiction tory about it until TLOU

insane

Neo Member
Great first episode. I just hope they change up the story for part 2 for TV. This Ellie actor cannot carry the show without Pescal.

I know a lot of people here don’t like Neil Druckmann.I think he is amazing and very successful with what he does.People should remember when they hate on him he made one game with „wokness“ in it but he also made countless great games without.
So don’t throw someone into the fire because you don’t like something from him.He has great talent which will be very beneficial in future games.

Toons

Banned
The story will remain the same, but I expect they could change the structure of the story.

Yeah. The reveal of abby's backstory as you switch to playing her in the game can't really be replicated in tv so it would make sense

I actually think they may include some deleted content that was supposed to happen in TLOU2. One of the scripts originally had Abby and the Wolves infiltrating Jackson to find Joel and gain their trust before killing him. This would work much better in a TV show then having Joel walking into a garage full of strangers and almost giving them his ID card.

Considering this is the first season of a new show, and HoD had that success cos it followed 9 overrated seasons of GoT, this is incredible. Season 2 could be biggest show ever up there with GoT in its pomp.

Perrott

Gold Member
Gaf is a afraid to talk about the show. You know why. That being said, I'll prolly wait til its over to watch it. Theres nothing new compared to the game so no point. Id rather just replay the games when they both launch on PC.
Wrong, not only there's lots of new depth to the characters and the worlds, as well as situations, but also changes in their short, mid and long-term goals... all of which culminating in the show being the superior way to experience this story, over the actual games that inspired it.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Wrong, not only there's lots of new depth to the characters and the worlds, as well as situations, but also changes in their short, mid and long-term goals... all of which culminating in the show being the superior way to experience this story, over the actual games that inspired it.
Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

I dont care about smaller details. If its the same main story, then I'll wait.

I know he is a producer on it
But I doubt Druckmann really has any pull regarding that or the future of the series.
if he wanted to change anything he would of done so in the game.
all the changes in the show was probably done by the studio team and Druckmann just agreed.
And if he didn't they would have just argued about it and done it anyway.
it's been well documented that the studio does what it wants regardless of the producer/writer/director or creator.
this is why a lot of creator's & writer's leave a series because they have no power in the end.
If the studio wants to change something they will and Druckmann will just have coke & a smile with his cheque.

You realize that Sony owns the studio who produced the show right? Have you heard of PlayStation Productions.

I love when people try to conflate things that they don't fully understand as if Druckmann was randomly hired by some random production company who owned the rights to the show.

PlayStation Productions and Naughty Dog created this show. It's distributed by HBO.

As PlayStation Productions matures, they're going to be able to hire more and more talented people. Their ability to create hits will separate them from other production studios who don't have an easy stream of IP.

Most production studios have to work with distributors who have purchased the rights to a script or an IP. PlayStation Productions is largely unique in the industry.

You look at Pixar and they're able to produce hit after hit because they have the best talent in the industry and their name brand brings a lot of cache. Disney owns them and distributes all their pictures which also adds to the cache.

PlayStation Productions also has its own go-to distributor for films in Sony Pictures/Columbia Pictures.

Basically, it's easy for them to get their movies greenlit and after TLOU it's going to be easy to get their tv shows distributed.

saintjules

Gaf is a afraid to talk about the show. You know why. That being said, I'll prolly wait til its over to watch it. Theres nothing new compared to the game so no point. Id rather just replay the games when they both launch on PC.

Theres some new things in there despite the story being largely the same. Granted we only had episode 1 so far, it's good that it's not a 1:1 adaptation to the game.

If TLOU can win an Emmy, it'll change video games forever and it'll change PlayStation forever.

Basically, the show will get a second lease on life (and it's going to be fresh in the minds of voters) in September.

This will give the games a third lease on life.

It'll also bring a lot more serious people into video games and video game adaptations.

We saw this with TV/Streaming with House of Cards and True Detective. 2013/2014 everything changed and all of a sudden you were seeing big name actors doing TV and with streaming services. You saw TV budgets skyrocket to close to movie budgets.

They could only get Anthony Mackie for Twisted Metal, but they haven't cast for Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, or Horizon yet.

Better believe they'll get Ken Watanabe for the uncle in Ghost of Tsushima. With an all Japanese cast, I think you get the best actors and actresses in Japan and use this as a Hollywood gateway opportunity. The most important thing is going to be keeping the budget low though, which shouldn't be a problem. John Wick 1's budget was 20-30 million, but you want to avoid a Last Samurai type budget.

God of War they might have a chance at Tom Hardy now.

Horizon maybe you go with Sadie Sink or you go a House of the Dragon route and cast two actresses and maybe you cast Chloe Grace Moretz as the older Aloy.

But very importantly, it means getting better directors.

Getting Craig Maizin was like the equivalent of getting Christopher Nolan on Batman Begins... it changes everything... and what did we see Marvel start doing? Going after better and better directors and we saw better and better movies as a result.

ecentre

Great show, I fucking love it! Cant wait until the next one.....
It has been a long time since I felt that way about a show.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
it'll be interesting to see how they're going to tackle S2
seeing as Joel gets killed quite early on in the game
they'll probably want to change that, the only thing i can see working is if they introduce us to Abby and have 2 stories playing out simultaneously, hers & then Joel’s & Ellie so that we get to know Abby in depth and care for her before the finale of season 2 where
SHE FUCKING MURDERS JOEL!!!
That leaves the viewer with a complete What the absolute FUCK! Red Wedding level scene to cap of S2, then S3 can begin with everyone upset/unsettled and then continue the story..

Vick

Dude.. that spoiler gave me a stroke.
The Last of Us without the organic and earned, personal attachment is nothing, one story like many others.
The whole third act as a cold and passive experience is literally meaningless.

Yoboman

I actually think they may include some deleted content that was supposed to happen in TLOU2. One of the scripts originally had Abby and the Wolves infiltrating Jackson to find Joel and gain their trust before killing him. This would work much better in a TV show then having Joel walking into a garage full of strangers and almost giving them his ID card.
Nah they can keep that the same but maybe spend a bit more time with Joel in the episode showing its been his job to be bringing strangers/refugees into the Jackson community

Perrott

Gold Member
Dude.. that spoiler gave me a stroke.
The Last of Us without the organic and earned, personal attachment is nothing, one story like many others.
The whole third act as a cold and passive experience is literally meaningless.
We'll see about that, as we're several episodes away from the show's finale to already be judging what the show can or cannot achieve in adapting all that happens in TLOU's third act.

What we can talk about though is all that the show has adapted so far from the original material, and on a personal note I have to say that HBO's The Last Of Us has achieved something with me that the games never did: to make me cry (at Sarah's death). Why was that? Because instead of having us explore random environments in search of resources or engage in needless enemy encounters (Joel's in-game kill count in Boston alone is insane, while in the show he only takes down a FEDRA guard right at the end of the show, and because it was a major narrative beat that told us a hell of a lot about his character); without having to deal with any of the narrative limitations of having a moment to moment gameplay, the show can afford itself to put a bigger spotlight on Sarah at the beginning (roughly 10 to 15 minutes more than the game) so that you'd give at least two shits at the time of her death, as well as fleshing out the characters of Joel and Tess in the present by walking us through their everyday activities, their interactions with the other characters and the world around them and the things they do towards getting to their goals as individuals, which is what eventually makes their destinies intertwine with that of Ellie... all while allowing the episode to have a roughly 33% shorter runtime than the average playtime that it takes to get out of Boston in-game.

What I'm saying is that linear entertainment lends itself better to character-heavy narratives, as a well-cut film or show can do a lot more in even less time than an AAA action/adventure videogame that has to constantly throw "challenges" (the majority of them of little significance to the actual story) of all sorts to the player so that he doesn't feel bored while consuming the product.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PlayStation Productions and Naughty Dog created this show. It's paid for and controlled by HBO.
Fixed that for you.
Warner Bros has the final say, it's HBO that will renew it for Season 2/3/4 and so on or cancel it, and if they if can't find another network?
You think Sony will just keep making it?
That's not how it works
And the networks have control and do influence shows.
This is why so many show runners leave, because no matter where it's produced the network always interferes, even if networks own by the company producing the show.
But HBO is pretty good as far as I'm aware, so no worries.
I doubt they do anything to ruin it.

Top Bottom