• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - is available now on PC

Alex11

I'm just changing my 3060ti to 6800 (and will have to pay ~125$ afer selling 3060) because all those vram limited games are driving me nuts. Fuck this shit and fuck slightly worse RT performance (compared to my GPU), I can't stand low res textures and stuttering.

Nvidia is fucked up with their high price - low vram cards, outside 4090, 4xxx series is shit and not interesting to me (and I don't have money for 4090 LOL).
I really feel you, I was just about to get a 3060ti or 3070 but I'm having real doubts after all these insane vram requirements. Having doubts even with an 4070ti which is not a cheap card where I live ~1000 euros.

Poppyseed

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man that sounds like such a headache :LOL:
I hate PC gaming with a passion. lmao.

Last year was rough and i didnt play much but thanks to the latest releases ive been playing a lot more often on PC and my goodness, its a disaster. Windows doesnt auto detect HDR, doesnt auto detect dolby atmos, doesn't register my controller half the time so now im using fucking wired like its 1999. I have to constantly switch hdr and atmos back and forth because i always forget to turn it on manually.

And then there is shader pre-compilation bs which i get is a neccessary evil but took 30 minutes to install after my game download 70 GB of data in 10 minutes. In hogwarts, there is shader compilation on every boot up. takes 30-45 seconds. I hate everything about this.

I swear i was much happier as a console gamer. If Cerny had given us a 14-16 tflops $599 console, i wouldnt have had to put myself through this.

Bojji

I had the 6800 before I got this 3080 a few days ago and it was a really good card

3080 is very good GPU but 10GB will limit in new games, unless that's 12GB version.

I really feel you, I was just about to get a 3060ti or 3070 but I'm having real doubts after all these insane vram requirements. Having doubts even with an 4070ti which is not a cheap card where I live ~1000 euros.

Yeah, 12GB is the lowest amount i would suggest to anyone buying new GPU.

7WZIVtr.jpg

I'm having fun with this shitshow and all but this guy makes a good point. I know I've spent more than 2 hours just tweaking stuff to benchmark. Not that I'm eligible for refunds since I don't buy directly from Steam but still.

Stuart360

'Mostly Negative; now on Steam but a healthy-ish 35k ingame. Its a solid start player wise. I just hope the port problems dont result in a ton of refunds.

OZ9000

Banned
It’s your memory. Back when Diablo 2 Resurrected releases I was thinking that it looked the same. Then I switched to the old graphics and oof!

Ok - the remake looks much better. I admit I remember being quite impressed with the Remastered Edition on the PS4 when it was originally released. But clearly it doesn't look as good as I originally remember!

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Ok - the remake looks much better. I admit I remember being quite impressed with the Remastered Edition on the PS4 when it was originally released. But clearly it doesn't look as good as I originally remember!

Yeah, I watched a comparison video as well, and it was pretty surprising how much was reworked. I agree that it’s not immediately noticeable because our memory tells us it looked like the remake.

Same with the recent Metroid Prime remake. Very big difference.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Getting home from work/gym soon. I’ll install and run the shader compilation while making dinner.
We’ll see how it runs on my rig since it’s an AMD sponsored game.

Danknugz

i wonder what percentage of people who actually decided to pay 60$ for this actually have never played the game before? i can't imagine there's too many people into these kinds of games who hadn't played it already on playstation.

Denton

Three things are required to have great time with this PC game:

- decent PC
- decent amount of RAM and properly setup swap file
- patience to let shader compilation finish

2 hours played, no crashes, no bugs, no issues, stable 60fps.

drotahorror

i wonder what percentage of people who actually decided to pay 60$ for this actually have never played the game before? i can't imagine there's too many people into these kinds of games who hadn't played it already on playstation.

So you think most people are double dippers? What?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Man, Iron Galaxy stinks. Sony should work with Jetpack Interactive more. The God of War port was quite good.

I wonder what Nixxes is doing. Ghost of Sushi?

.hacked

Got it free with my 7900xt so it’s either play it tonight or watch Avatar 2….

Maybe I can just play the prolog….

Last edited:

GametimeUK

What’s so funny? I grew up with keyboard/mouse gaming. I don’t see how that’s better for a casual game like this with adaptive trigger/rumble missing from the experience. I’m going to wager 90+% of PC gamers use a controller for these types of games.
Clawgrip.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Got it free with my 7800xt so it’s either play it tonight or watch Avatar 2….

Maybe I can just play the prolog….
Did you mean 6800xt? Because I haven't heard of a 7800xt, I'm actuallly waiting for it to release and see if it's worth an upgrade from 6700xt to secure 4K 60 fps on everything lol

dotnotbot

Holy fuck, PC gamers. The game came out not an hour ago and the Artwork section on Steam is already full of horny Elie pictures.

I recommend coat_dark reddit user and her artworks if someone wishes to see older Ellie's detailed beaver

Last edited:
I hate PC gaming with a passion. lmao.

Last year was rough and i didnt play much but thanks to the latest releases ive been playing a lot more often on PC and my goodness, its a disaster. Windows doesnt auto detect HDR, doesnt auto detect dolby atmos, doesn't register my controller half the time so now im using fucking wired like its 1999. I have to constantly switch hdr and atmos back and forth because i always forget to turn it on manually.

And then there is shader pre-compilation bs which i get is a neccessary evil but took 30 minutes to install after my game download 70 GB of data in 10 minutes. In hogwarts, there is shader compilation on every boot up. takes 30-45 seconds. I hate everything about this.

I swear i was much happier as a console gamer. If Cerny had given us a 14-16 tflops $599 console, i wouldnt have had to put myself through this.

I'm too old for this shit. I just want to boot something up and have it work with minimal effort.

PS5 looks good enough. It could look better, yeah, but for me personally not enough for the added expense and hassle factor.

Some console ports on PS5 leave a little to be desired, but by and large they are at least "solid" and play well without many bugs (generally). Never been a better time to be a console gamer, TBH. Solid performance, generally decent options (perf, fidelity, VRR, 40 hz, etc)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Gonna give it a few months and a steam sale.. sounds like the port is a disaster.. like one of the worst ports in PC history
I had a stutter that went down to 4 fps after waiting an hour, yes an hour to install shaders that are supposed to prevent these stutters.

I literally have stutters when turning the camera.

that said, its not the worst. gotham knights had similar stutters in RT mode and Hogwarts was something else before gaffers fixed some config file settings.

SlimySnake

I'm too old for this shit. I just want to boot something up and have it work with minimal effort.

PS5 looks good enough. It could look better, yeah, but for me personally not enough for the added expense and hassle factor.

Some console ports on PS5 leave a little to be desired, but by and large they are at least "solid" and play well without many bugs (generally). Never been a better time to be a console gamer, TBH. Solid performance, generally decent options (perf, fidelity, VRR, 40 hz, etc)
TBH, I wouldve bought this game had ND shipped it with a locked 40 fps mode. They didnt and then they took it out instead of getting their dynamic resolution bug fixed. It was infuriating and essentially made me skip buying it on black friday for $50. I figured i could run this at whatever resolution, framerate target i want on PC.

40 fps is my go to after playing ratchet, horizon and gow. I really hope everyone ships with a 40 fps mode. I dont care if you have to drop resolution. just do it.

Hoping Cerny gets a pro out soon. I love the Pro. I have no doubt, hes gonna make a kickass PS5 2.0. It's frustrating turning off RT in every game on my PC while PS5 gets a locked 30 fps RT mode.

Last edited:
TBH, I wouldve bought this game had ND shipped it with a locked 40 fps mode. They didnt and then they took it out instead of getting their dynamic resolution bug fixed. It was infuriating and essentially made me skip buying it on black friday for $50. I figured i could run this at whatever resolution, framerate target i want on PC.

40 fps is my go to after playing ratchet, horizon and gow. I really hope everyone ships with a 40 fps mode. I dont care if you have to drop resolution. just do it.

Hoping Cerny gets a pro out soon. I love the Pro. I have no doubt, hes gonna make a kickass PS5 2.0. It's frustrating turning off RT in every game on my PC while PS5 gets a locked 30 fps RT mode.

ND is seriously dropping the ball, IMHO. What was the most ambitious Sony studio now seems pegged down quite a bit lately, technically speaking. Still good looking games, but they don't seem nearly as great as they used to be.

I gave up on RT. Only game that made a difference and didn't tank performance are Insomniac titles. I don't think PRO is going to fix that, but maybe with a PS5 Pro we can get 4K native at 60 fps. May be a good upgrade for that alone.

Braag

Gonna give it a few months and a steam sale.. sounds like the port is a disaster.. like one of the worst ports in PC history

You haven't been a PC gamer for very long or you've never had to experience some of the PC ports of the 6th and 7th console gens if you think this is one of the worst.

this game is best played with a controller anyway... as mostly every modern game !!!!!

Opinions. I actually prefer to play majority of games on a controller but would rather completely skip playing a FPS game than have to play it on controller.

JCK75

You haven't been a PC gamer for very long or you've never had to experience some of the PC ports of the 6th and 7th console gens if you think this is one of the worst.

Opinions. I actually prefer to play majority of games on a controller but would rather completely skip playing a FPS game than have to play it on controller.
I've been a PC gamer as long as PC gaming has existed.. I have no doubts this will get worked out but it launched in dreadful shape and is doing damage to some people's computers.. It's about as bad as it gets

Teletraan1

Banned
I hope the bitch made company that is Naughty Dog doesn't false copyright strike Youtubers for exposing their terrible port.

Last edited:

chinoXL

I hope the bitch made company that is Naughty Dog doesn't false copyright strike Youtubers for exposing their terrible port.
technically ND didn't handle the port but are cleaning it up now. it was Iron Galaxy that did the work. not that it makes it ok for the issues

Top Bottom