• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - PS5 - Coming September 2 (PC version in development)

Limba

Banned
This remake looks even better than Part 2 did. And part 2 was gorgeous

YBTClll.jpg
Lq7GJh2.jpg

screenshot_20220610-2o9joe.jpg

YukiOnna

I... definitely prefer Remaster/PS3 Joel. Had a certain animated/cartoonish aspect to his design that is now lost and it feels like he's just an old man now. Other than that, I'll probably play this once the price drops. Looks like they're not changing the story, which is good, but it's also a 3rd go around for me...

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
TLOU2 was already updated for the PS5 free of charge. 60fps at 4K. Theres nothing mroe to add to it, they wont remake the game in a brand new engine which already looks great.

The PS4 version runs at 1440p 60fps, not Native 4K.

It's already rumored that the game is going to receive the remaster treatment, so this doesn't mean they're going to remake the game similar to Part I.

While the game looks good, it could see some improvements.

We can see that there were some downgrades from the E3 2018 version.

Two things that stand out is the draw distance and level of detail on the enemy AI. It is reduced in quality in the final build and you can see how it can be improved with a PS5 version.

You can see the foliage at a distance and how it's much lower quality.

This happens with the enemy AI and it can be improved in the final game.

tommib

Interesting it's a Remake, but they are 100% using the same motion capture recording data as the original. The animations are 1:1 in the cut scenes.
To introduce the IP to pc players at its best, as a graphical showcase consistent with part 2 instead of a PS4 port without real-time cutscenes. PC players would be laughing about the PS4 remaster port and demanding a proper port. ND is preempting this and fully remaking the game to be cutting-edge on PC.

It’s easy to understand, guys.

SCB3

Let’s face it, any fans will play this, including me. One of the best games ever made.

Day 1 at full price tho? Not for me having bet it on ps3 and then ps4.

Anyone yet to sample this masterpiece, there should be no hesitation.
Yea this is very much a wait for a sale game, I have the Remastered version on PS5 now, its perfectly playable still and not sure what exactly a remake adds at this point outside of looking better and playing more like 2 (which to be fair plays very well)

Shmunter

Yea this is very much a wait for a sale game, I have the Remastered version on PS5 now, its perfectly playable still and not sure what exactly a remake adds at this point outside of looking better and playing more like 2 (which to be fair plays very well)
Just an excuse to revisit really

Rea

Let’s face it, any fans will play this, including me. One of the best games ever made.

Day 1 at full price tho? Not for me having bet it on ps3 and then ps4.

Anyone yet to sample this masterpiece, there should be no hesitation.
I will play when it comes to PS plus extra. I won't spend a dime for this remake, because I already bought Remastered and had fun. I guess they will put on Plus Extra, when it comes to PC.

Shmunter

I will play when it comes to PS plus extra. I won't spend a dime for this remake, because I already bought Remastered and had fun. I guess they will put on Plus Extra, when it comes to PC.
Maybe I’m overestimating the desire for this

REDRZA MWS

"No shit capt. obvious" sounds particularly triggered to me, but whatever you say. And I didn't bring up your purchase history. You did.
If “no shit capt. obvious” leads you to assume anyone is triggered, pretty sure you are a little too sensitive and again, give yourself way too much credit.

M1987

I don't think it's going on Plus Extra for at least a year or 2, and certainly not when the PC version is released or I don't even think they will make a profit.

ParaSeoul

How many times can u remaster a remaster and remake a remake , played it on ps3 played it on ps4 Pro now what some fancy hair and cloth physics?
They already said the gameplay is completely reworked with the improvements from 2,I don't know why people seem to either don't know or ignore this. My main issue with remakes is them being the same game with just better graphics as well and this isn't the case for TLOU remake.

Last edited:
The Last of Us Part I - one of the greatest games ever being remade is a complete no brainer.

Sure the graphics are one thing but the real big deal if the completely reworked gameplay and AI.

It was the only complaint some people had about the game and now it's going to be Part II gameplay and AI which is near perfect.

Cannne wait.

Ellery

Holy how did I even miss that they are upgrading the gameplay, AI, and other things.

This changes things dramatically. I know that not everyone likes the realistic grounded gameplay of TLOU2 and they prefer a more arcadish smashing game, but for me personally it is absolutely perfect for the setting and enjoyment of the game. I legit think TLOU2 is peak third person horror shooter gameplay and if TLOU PART 1 PS5 does it the same way (or maybe even improve on it?) then I am very pleased.

It would actually be my primary reason to play it again. Actually the same goes for Resident Evil 4 Remake since I like that game, but I loathe how the controls have aged. It is completely unplayable on PC (for me) and I cannot wait to play RE4 again with modern controls that are proably like RE2+RE3 Remake.

Bartski

Gold Member
The PS4 version runs at 1440p 60fps, not Native 4K.

It's already rumored that the game is going to receive the remaster treatment, so this doesn't mean they're going to remake the game similar to Part I.

While the game looks good, it could see some improvements.

We can see that there were some downgrades from the E3 2018 version.

Two things that stand out is the draw distance and level of detail on the enemy AI. It is reduced in quality in the final build and you can see how it can be improved with a PS5 version.

You can see the foliage at a distance and how it's much lower quality.

This happens with the enemy AI and it can be improved in the final game.

yeah there are so many things that can improve just on a cosmetic level. Lighting in gameplay, that's clear just by looking at the 2018 video, but especially texture pop-in and LOD swaps which are unfortunately very noticeable in 60pfs patch.

I'd love to see them address dead enemy despawn mid-combat, real-time but especially on checkpoint.

I hope Part 1 will really show what Part 2 HD will look like on PS5.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Zelda was stuck on the Wii with shitty controls and has been ported to a much newer, portable system with normal controls.

TLOU1 PS4 is perfectly playable on the PS5.

False equivalency.

Controls, Gameplay mechanics, and enemy AI have all been improved over the PS4 remastered version.

So yes, they did more with TLOU Part I while Zelda is nearly a direct port.

We’ve implemented modernized gameplay, improved controls, and expanded accessibility options in this single-player experience to allow even more individuals to enjoy the game. Effects, exploration, and combat have all been enhanced. Leveraging the PS5’s powerful hardware, we also implemented 3D Audio*, haptics, and adaptive triggers. Both returning fans and new players alike will have the opportunity to experience both The Last of Us Part I and its prequel story Left Behind in a whole new way.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Tlou1 was one of these games I thought to myself "how the hell can graphics get any better than this". hahaha look at tlou2 now ! it's like a movie compared to a comic book !!!
Other examples I remember thinking that were: Unreal1, Half-Life2, Gears of war1, uncharted2 and so on.
Now... I really DO THINK that the gap is getting smaller.
Stuff like tlou2 or death stranding really does look good and 10 years from now, the difference won't be this big as it was to 2010.

Withnail

Holy how did I even miss that they are upgrading the gameplay, AI, and other things.

This changes things dramatically. I know that not everyone likes the realistic grounded gameplay of TLOU2 and they prefer a more arcadish smashing game, but for me personally it is absolutely perfect for the setting and enjoyment of the game. I legit think TLOU2 is peak third person horror shooter gameplay and if TLOU PART 1 PS5 does it the same way (or maybe even improve on it?) then I am very pleased.

It would actually be my primary reason to play it again. Actually the same goes for Resident Evil 4 Remake since I like that game, but I loathe how the controls have aged. It is completely unplayable on PC (for me) and I cannot wait to play RE4 again with modern controls that are proably like RE2+RE3 Remake.

Yep agreed. Can't wait to play TLOU with (hopefully) the enemy and NPC AI of Pt2. Not having NPCs run in front of enemies will be an upgrade in itself.

Neff

i'm still figuring out why ? why remake this ? did it really need a remake ?

Firstly to tie in with and promote the show. Secondly they were left with an absolute shitload of assets from TLoU2 which could be (relatively) easily used to give TLoU1 a very nice facelift and dramatically reduce an otherwise substantial workload. And the original is regarded as one of the all-time greats. It's a very low risk/large gain project for them.

Tlou1 was one of these games I thought to myself "how the hell can graphics get any better than this"

I remember thinking this about Devil May Cry 1, and look where we are now. Modern visuals are so impressive they're just plain surreal to look at sometimes.

Last edited:

Shmunter

TLoU2 looks a generation ahead of Last Of Us 1, so it’s comical to see people trying to argue how the Remake which looks at least as goods as TLOu2, looks barely better than the original.

You guys ain’t slick.
Problem I have is if part 1 is next gen only, it should smoke part 2 even as impressive as it is. Hoping side by side that is the case.

tommib

Problem I have is if part 1 is next gen only, it should smoke part 2 even as impressive as it is. Hoping side by side that is the case.
It won’t. They’re updating part 1 to be consistent with part 2 not to generate another graphical discrepancy. It’s next-gen only because it’s cheaper for them and hey, we’re living next-gen days. 60 fps with that fidelity is next-gen enough.

Shmunter

It won’t. They’re updating part 1 to be consistent with part 2 not to generate another graphical discrepancy. It’s next-gen only because it’s cheaper for them and hey, we’re living next-gen days. 60 fps with that fidelity is next-gen enough.
If that’s the case, I’m expecting now also on ps4 at some point. Maybe with the pc release.

Top Bottom