• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - PS5 - Coming September 2 (PC version in development)

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Still doesnt make it exacty the same thing as the remaster.

do i think the remake was needed? Not really. doesnt change the fact that it's not something lazily done.

Even if it plays the same, everything else was redone.

it's not like a remaster, wich is just what we used to call HD ports.
It also doesn't change the fact that a system with barely any content is being given a third release of a ten year old game, and people are cheering like they're the fucking Nerd Crew. I'm sure that Joel's reimagined beard physics will totally be worth the $70USD, and absolutely sends the right message back to Sony.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who knows.

Currently, the smallest time gaps for PC ports are Days Gone and Miles Morales at about 2 years each.

If the PC game is announced already and the PS5 version is coming this September, it's pretty safe to say the PC port isn't going to come out in September 2024. It'll probably be a Q1 2023 kind of release. No way it would even be a one year gap. I'll ballpark 6 months. We'll all have to wait and see.
This is literally the first time they have announced a PC port simultaneously with a PS4 or PS5 game. This is a huge precedent that could very well mean a day one release for all we know. If not day one then 3 months or 6. We are no longer looking at the 2-4 year windows people were talking about in the Airbus Jr thread. Neil mentioned PC several times.

We talked about this just yesterday when we were trying to figure out how Sony expects to get to $300 million in PC revenue this fiscal year. This is definitely going to be out before March 2023 if not day one.

Jaybe

So when do they pull the PS4 TLOU Remastered version from the PlayStation store so no one can buy it cheap any more, and they are forced to get this? Or maybe it just never goes on sale again?

FunkMiller

This is a must buy for PC gamers who have never played the game.

It’s pointless for anyone who’s played it on PlayStation and isn’t just a graphics whore.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is literally the first time they have announced a PC port simultaneously with a PS4 or PS5 game. This is a huge precedent that could very well mean a day one release for all we know. If not day one then 3 months or 6. We are no longer looking at the 2-4 year windows people were talking about in the Airbus Jr thread. Neil mentioned PC several times.

We talked about this just yesterday when we were trying to figure out how Sony expects to get to $300 million in PC revenue this fiscal year. This is definitely going to be out before March 2023 if not day one.
Yup. I think you were spot on with the list of games all needing to contribute a bit each to hit $300M by fiscal end March 2023.

deeptech

Not quite sure from the trailer, is it on par for you with tlou2, worse or better looking? I really hope it's at least tlou2 level.

Stuart360

I'd guess the PC version will release whenever the TV show aires after its delay. Dont really need to delay the PS version as the show will have zero effect on it, and vice versa.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
A completely unnecessary remake and therefore a waste of resources and talent, imo. Much rather see a new IP from this studio. Ging to buy anyway though, if I don't have anything better to play.

Stuart360

60 bucks for a game thats already been redone and has 60fps….. and has no multiplayer to boot..
w
t
f
You will probably be able to pick it up for around $40 on PC if you shop around online. I agree though, i struggle in this day and age to pay full price for a 12 hour campaign only. Its not the 360/PS3 days anymore.

cormack12

Gold Member
The lack of detail makes me think they aren't actually adding any of the new gameplay mechanics from part II into the remake. Which us a shame, but if they weren't going to rework a lot of the levels I can understand that.

PC will sell decent numbers but I'm not sure on the PS5 version. I just don't think there is huge appetite for it. For collectors and upgrades, probably a fair number will but with no discounts for owners of previous versions or upgrade paths they would have to bundle Factions with it, or package closed beta access with it I think.

Salz01

You will probably be able to pick it up for around $40 on PC if you shop around online. I agree though, i struggle in this day and age to pay full price for a 12 hour campaign only. Its not the 360/PS3 days anymore.
It seems kind of insane. Nobody really asked for it. At least their UC PS5 update was 10 bucks. At first I bulked, but ended up just getting it. This however…… this is pure greed.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Buy TLOU Remastered the next time it’s on sale for £7.99 if you’re interested as it wouldn’t surprise me if Sony yank it from the shop at some point.

Stuart360

It seems kind of insane. Nobody really asked for it. At least their UC PS5 update was 10 bucks. At first I bulked, but ended up just getting it. This however…… this is pure greed.
It was greenlit because of the TV show, i'm certain of that. Which is why imo the PC version will launch when the show aires, whenever that ends up being.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'd guess the PC version will release whenever the TV show aires after its delay. Dont really need to delay the PS version as the show will have zero effect on it, and vice versa.
It's probably delayed for a price break, because no one on PC is paying $70 for a single player game.

Kerotan

In before “the graphics look the same”

PS4:
coGoxP7.jpg

PS5:
WcWZ15v.jpg

Spoiler: they don’t
This is a classic case of people remembering a game looking better then it really did. It's a big improvement.
I’ve never really seen the point in this remake, especially when ND could have been working on a new IP instead, but no doubt I’ll bite.
Weren't they working on a new engine so this was being used as an excuse to get some practice with it?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You can thank the many open world games with big production values, as well as shooters with loyal fans. who'll play the same modes all year. Those studios upped the ante and most gamers trend to them.

I'm in the same boat. Except I buy almost all my games on deal (even indies), and I home share too for another 50% off with a buddy. I dont do mtx either or battle passes etc..... Bought hardly any games since doing Game Pass. I just focus on those games and occasional purchases like COD and Diablo.

I've got to be lumped in their market research models as the last kind of gamer to go after: El Cheapo Dudebro who wants Open World and Replayable Game-o.

Sony SP narratives still sell great. But most others I dont think do.

Looking back, it was nuts how much money we all spent on Sega, Nintendo and PS1 games which could be beat over a weekend or even in one evening.

Last edited:

Moses85

They bring the remake for one single reason. Sell the game to the boys and girls after they watched the HBO series.

Definitive Edition, my ass

I will buy this god dam game, but not full price for the 3rd time.

Stuart360

You can thank the many open world games with big production values, as well as shooters with loyal fans. who'll play the same modes all year. Those studios upped the ante and most gamers trend to them.

I'm in the same boat. Except I buy almost all my games on deal (even indies), and I home share too for another 50% off with a buddy. I dont do mtx either or battle passes etc..... Bought hardly any games since doing Game Pass. I just focus on those games and occasional purchases like COD and Diablo.

I've got to be lumped in their market research models as the last kind of gamer to go after: El Cheapo Dudebro who wants Open World and Replayable Game-o.

Sony SP narratives still sell great. But most others I dont think do.

Looking back, it was nuts how much money we all spent on Sega, Nintendo and PS1 games which could be beat over a weekend or even in one evening.
Yeah i mean there were tons of PS1 gen games that were 2-3 hours long, hell 8bit and 16bit games an hour long or even less. Rightly or wrongly, gamers expect way more 'bang for your buck' these days.

Stuart360

Werent all the cutscenes pre-rendered videos in the orig game though?. I mean the fact they are real time now in itself is a huge upgrade.
I was watching the DOC play this game last week and when it got to the cutscenes you could instantly tell they were vids. It was a lot harder to tell on PS3 i feel, probably because the vids and gameplay were both 720p/30.

Last edited:
this game should bee a ps plus extra/premium game imo. this is nintendo level shit with the full price.
I'd say this is more a reimagining rather than a remake, the AI has been redone the environments have been altered and increased in size, controls and movement have been updated. This is far more than a run of the mill remake and warrants the price tag IMO.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
They bring the remake for one single reason. Sell the game to the boys and girls after they watched the HBO series.

Naughty Dog's output this gen really hasn't impressed me. Lots of remasters and remakes and adaptations and like...

Do something new. Please.

Stooky

Naughty Dog's output this gen really hasn't impressed me. Lots of remasters and remakes and adaptations and like...

Do something new. Please.
It really just takes longer to make these games. It takes more time to produce the art, it takes so much more to produce to the content. Can’t expect any dev to have the output they had in in previous generations.

Kerotan

It's a good strategy. TV series should be big. This game is goated and now it's full modernized too. It will sell a lot on ps5 but even more on PC later.

All of this gives momentum to the series and it will accumulate with TLOU2 PS5 directors cut and factions which will be ps5 and pc either launch or later.

And on the ps6 TLOU3

CitizenZ

Banned
Built from the ground up compared to Demon Souls im not so sure. The character models look worse IMO but I also didnt need more pixels, the game is perfect as is. probably pick up the PC version when its on a deep sale, but been there done that.

I'd say this is more a reimagining rather than a remake, the AI has been redone the environments have been altered and increased in size, controls and movement have been updated. This is far more than a run of the mill remake and warrants the price tag IMO.

yeah but it stil feels like a bit of a cash grab by sony. also why even remake the last of us to begin with? it just wasnt needed and is a waste of naughty dogs time and talent imo. maybe this is why the multiplayer game is taking so long. they had to slow down development to work on this.

Noxxera

It also doesn't change the fact that a system with barely any content is being given a third release of a ten year old game, and people are cheering like they're the fucking Nerd Crew. I'm sure that Joel's reimagined beard physics will totally be worth the $70USD, and absolutely sends the right message back to Sony.
No one with an ounce of brain thinks the price is fair. But what can we do. Vote with the wallet I guess but doesn't help much cause I would definitely buy the game day 1 if I had the money and PS5. Nah something else needs to be done to get the ridiculous prices down cause wallet voting is obviously not working.

Noxxera

I’ve never really seen the point in this remake, especially when ND could have been working on a new IP instead, but no doubt I’ll bite.
Well Naughty Dog is in fact working on Last of Us MP game, and a secret project druckmann is involved with. I would bet its Part 3. Why new IP when Last of Us is hot commodity? If I could guess I would guess the point of the remake would be to coincide with the HBO series, get more people involved in the last of us franchise. PS5 exclusive Part 1 would be good for that

Except that wasn't really the case for most games? If you were just playing those games for the first time, you'd have to actually learn the game most of the time and that took a lot of time to do. Sometimes even if you had strategy guides (for the games that even had them, anyway).

You can probably beat something like Mega Man X, Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Resident Evil in a couple hours if you already know the layouts and mastered the game mechanics, but people playing those games new on Day 1 weren't able to do that. They'd die over and over, start from the beginning and keep trying until they could beat the game with a limited amount of continues or saves.

Plus as the 5th gen went on games naturally got longer and longer even once you knew what you were doing, especially with JRPGs and SRPGs. Unskippable cutscenes would eat into play time as well.

Belthazar

The one thing that'll make me bite this is if they drastically expand the environments and make them interesting to explore, like they did with part 2. If it's just a graphical upgrade it doesn't interest me that much and I'll just wait for when it hits PS+ Extra.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
No one with an ounce of brain thinks the price is fair. But what can we do. Vote with the wallet I guess but doesn't help much cause I would definitely buy the game day 1 if I had the money and PS5. Nah something else needs to be done to get the ridiculous prices down cause wallet voting is obviously not working.
It's not just the price. It's the fact that people are cheering on a THIRD release of a ten year old game as though this is some groundbreaking and revolutionary gift from Sony, and not a desperate attempt to pad out the library of their console with no software.

Noxxera

Why is Ellie the primary character on the box art 🤔
Well she's like the main character of the story so there's that. I'll just tell you a story about a game journalist that edited Ellie out of a magazine cover, which resulted in Druckmann confronting him why he did that. That should speak for itself.

Noxxera

So when do they pull the PS4 TLOU Remastered version from the PlayStation store so no one can buy it cheap any more, and they are forced to get this? Or maybe it just never goes on sale again?
That's a good question. I would hope they dont pull it from the PS Store on PS4 consoles. It could totally happen they remove it from PS5 store tho so you just can buy the Part 1 remake.

Top Bottom