• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Now Releasing on June 19th | Ghost of Tsushima July 17th

I wonder if the leaks forced their hand with the last of us.

I think so, especially with it happening right after the leak. Then again, it might've just been put on hold due to an uncertain situation with the coronavirus as well, but they only announced it today instead of at a later time due to the leak. So I wouldn't say anything too sure, but I'd lean heavily on it forcing their hand due to how closely after the leak they revealed it.

The leaks have made me more and more wanting to wait on buying TLoU2 at launch. Especially with PS5 being close around the corner, though that's dependent on me settling for PS5 as next-gen console, which is definitely not something I've decided on yet.
Ghosts of Tsushima is definitely day one, unless it gets some really shitty reviews.

Geki-D

Banned
so once all final ps4 exclusive is out, we finally might can get more info about ps5 and next gen exclusives
Yep. I expect Sony wanted these 2 out the door so they could fully focus on promoting PS5. More reasons they were never not going to release the game any later than this summer.

what kind of mutha fuckin piece of shit would do this
The same kind who would leak it in the first place, completely shitting on the work of all of their ex-colleagues and knowing it would hurt the fan's experience. Also ND have commited the thought crime of being "woke", so plenty of people hate ND. Throw in childish Xbox fanboys and you have your shit sandwich.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't buy that the leaks forced the date forward, although it's absolutely forced Sony to give a date. Remember the original message, after it had already had a chunky delay once before. The game was nearly done and needed final bug fixes. That's 3 weeks of work. Maybe they shaved a week off due to the leaks.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Doubtless Sony are rushing it out, in fear of a negative commercial response from the leaks.

If leaks can spoil the sales of a game, it's not much of a game in the first place. No-one sees leaked footage of Mario or Zelda and thinks "I don't need to bother playing this now", if anything the more gameplay one sees the better. Whereas when your game is literally an interactive movie, you might as well watch a "Lets Play" for the same experience. Telltale discovered this the hard way, Sony needs to learn a lesson if they're to avoid the same fate.

Fake

Doubtless Sony are rushing it out, in fear of a negative commercial response from the leaks.

If those leaks are correct there is no 'rush' in place. The games was pretty much done. That old tatic of delay plus increase hyped must be the reason.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Without spoilers, can someone summerize the leak reason? How did they come out?

Naughty Dog overworked and then withheld pay from their Quality Assurance staff, one of whom then leaked the footage. They're a documented terrible company to work for.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Naughty Dog overworked and then withheld pay from their Quality Assurance staff, one of whom then leaked the footage. They're a documented terrible company to work for.
That doesn't even make sense, but you hear about pay issues in gaming sometimes.

Don't employees just get paid like other people do? Every two weeks you get money deposited in your bank account after setting up auto-deposit with HR?

I find it ludicrous if gaming has employees suddenly getting cut off pay. It's not like ND and Sony are broke and literally have no money left (companies filing for bankruptcy and don't have enough to even pay people).

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'd say it's too late but TLOU2 is gonna sell. regardless of the damage. Remember the Pokemon Sword and Shield outrage? People will still buy it even if they hate themselves once they beat it.

Hostile_18

Banned
Stop saying this. This is nonsense

Care to explain? Sony losing all those pre orders for a month delay is quite significant IMO.

I think these dates have been forced because of the leak and also because of the PS5A launch. Never have two first party games been released so close together? I kind of feel sorry for Ghost tbh, it's going to be in Last of Us's shadow.

GamesAreFun

Banned
You should actually play one of their games sometime before saying dumb shit like "interactive movie".
I played a few hours of both The Last of Us and Uncharted, they were monthly PS Plus games. Uncharted at least had some gameplay, but the character of Nate was very unappealing, a violent and uncharismatic copy of Indiana Jones. When you spend more time watching cutscenes than playing the game, I think the term "interactive movie" is deserved.

Jtibh

Banned
You see guys. All you have to do is flood the internet with a full game leak and voala you get a release asap.
Now some start leaking cyberpunk and i am all set

Geki-D

Banned
How is it. When do you see refunds happening for a short delay.
It's their policy to refund games without fixed release dates on the store. They did it for Watch Dogs 3 not too long ago too, they've done it for other games in the past. For a game to remain on the store it has to have a release date. If it has no release date, it gets taken off the store. If it's no longer on the store people can no longer pre order it and Sony can no longer keep already made pre orders. So they issue refunds

I played a few hours of both
No idea what you're talking about, then. Toodle-loo.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

It's company policy for game without a release date. It just so happen we have nothing compare it to because there's never epidemic on this scale in modern age.

Do you really think Sony can decide on release date within space of few hours, that kind planning takes etleast at week not in less than day, its just stupid as idea just as it getting delayed for ps5 launch was people love there conspiracies.

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
Do you really think Sony can decide on release date within space of few hours, that kind planning takes etleast at week not in less than day, its just stupid as idea this getting for ps5 launch people love there conspiracies.

Nope, they can decide on a release date in a few minutes, the game was practically finished apart from polish. And with the modern practise of "day one 20GB patch" they just fix it after it's out. Spyro Trilogy didn't even have some of the games on the disc, you had to download them!

THEAP99

Banned
Care to explain? Sony losing all those pre orders for a month delay is quite significant IMO.

I think these dates have been forced because of the leak and also because of the PS5A launch. Never have two first party games been released so close together? I kind of feel sorry for Ghost tbh, it's going to be in Last of Us's shadow.
The only thing the leaks did was move up the announcement of the new release dates. We probably would've gotten the release dates sometime within the next two weeks anyway.

But anyone with a brain knows that both of these games were going to be out by the end of August.
As for the canceled pre-orders, those were for digital because the PSN store requires a game to have a release date in order for it to be on the store.
And the majority/most people will pre-order the game when it is back up anyways.
It seems like America and other countries are also lifting restrictions.

To think that they pulled The Last of Us Part 2 June 19th release date out of their arse last night because is not how businesses operate.

Man it’s gonna be hard to dodge spoilers I guess. It would cool if everyone could contain that shit, even hints (or “comparison spoilers”) to the leak thread.

Jtibh

Banned
I played a few hours of both The Last of Us and Uncharted, they were monthly PS Plus games. Uncharted at least had some gameplay, but the character of Nate was very unappealing, a violent and uncharismatic copy of Indiana Jones. When you spend more time watching cutscenes than playing the game, I think the term "interactive movie" is deserved.
Some game play like what?
Violent uncharis......this is some standard era shit posting right here.
Tlou has no gameplay cuz the first hour of the game is trying to build up the story and world so you get whats going on but after that for a dozen hours its pure action and stealth like mostly gameplay with some traversal in between.

Would you say uncharted is a arena shooter like the first one or a boring far too long want it to end game like number 4 i would believe you.

Violent uncharismatic ....what the fuck is lara croft then huh?

For someone calling it self gamesarefun you sure dont know what games are fun.

Not even gonna ger into your account details i bet you are just some trouble maker .

HE1NZ

Banned
If spoilers ruin your story it means the story sucked. Unless it's another Uncharted 4, it should be alright. Would have been spoiled a week before launch anyway.

Still, the utter incompetence and audacity of Sony trying to move the game to PS5 launch and failing to contain spoilers in a sight to behold.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If spoilers ruin your story it means the story sucked. Unless it's another Uncharted 4, it should be alright. Would have been spoiled a week before launch anyway.

Still, the utter incompetence and audacity of Sony trying to move the game to PS5 launch and failing to contain spoilers in a sight to behold.
If spoilers ruin your story then that means your story sucked? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Jayjayhd34

Anyone who posts spoilers outside of the spoiler thread should be definitely catch heat. Don't go into that thread at all if you don't want your brain broken.

Forums aren't the problem apart from reddit it's social media the first post on the announcement for fb is massive spoiler pic.

Hostile_18

Banned
The only thing the leaks did was move up the announcement of the new release dates. We probably would've gotten the release dates sometime within the next two weeks anyway.

But anyone with a brain knows that both of these games were going to be out by the end of August.
As for the canceled pre-orders, those were for digital because the PSN store requires a game to have a release date in order for it to be on the store.
And the majority/most people will pre-order the game when it is back up anyways.
It seems like America and other countries are also lifting restrictions.

To think that they pulled The Last of Us Part 2 June 19th release date out of their arse last night because is not how businesses operate.

To think release dates arnt carefully weighted things with lots of factors involved is naive IMO. I dont think you can hand wave thousands of guaranteed pre orders away assuming everyone will re order again. Some of those sales are lost forever. Games have been delayed numerous times without refunding those pre orders (although as you say it does rarely happen). Also do you not think that the creative forces behind the games who get a say in the release date want their game to be out months after the story leaks in a story heavy game? Lastly it's incredibly rare for two first party games to release together so closely. Theres no way the leak and the PS5 timeline didnt come into play IMO.

THEAP99

Banned
To think release dates arnt carefully weighted things with lots of factors involved is naive IMO. I dont think you can hand wave thousands of guaranteed pre orders away assuming everyone will re order again. Some of those sales are lost forever. Games have been delayed numerous times without refunding those pre orders (although as you say it does rarely happen). Also do you not think that the creative forces behind the games who get a say in the release date want their game to be out months after the story leaks in a story heavy game? Lastly it's incredibly rare for two first party games to release together so closely. Theres no way the leak and the PS5 timeline didnt come into play IMO.
PS5 timeline certainly came into play and that is why I always said they would want these games out by August. Because marketing these games, specifically, ghost of Tsushima up against avengers, cyberpunk etc.. is not a good idea.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but God of War and Detroit Become Human released one month apart.
The difference here though is that Naughty Dog and Neil Druckmann, ever since the "indefinite" delay, have said they want the game out soon and all options are on the table.

Overall this silly to argue over because we won't ever know for certain what happened. But spoilers and stuff for movies and other media are quite normal and I don't think they pulled this release date out of nowhere yesterday. But I do believe they announced it sooner than they were planning on doing so by maybe a few days.

HE1NZ

Banned
Tell that to the Walking Dead. There were many shocking deaths until the series took a huge nose dive in ratings.
So the story did suck? I've never watched the show. But in the Telltale game, knowing that Lee dies, doesn't ruin it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom