• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

big fake

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't ICO and Shadow of Colossus had some technical hiccups as well? If this game is as good as some of you have said here, then maybe reviewers will dock a few points but not much.

I mean I hope this is the case, for the sake of TLG that is. This generation has been much to harsh on most of these games.

Journalist seem to be very picky with what they like and how much what they don't like affects them. If Ueda can transcend this new trend of the reviews of the gen then I will be very happy.

Grisby

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't ICO and Shadow of Colossus had some technical hiccups as well? If this game is as good as some of you have said here, then maybe reviewers will dock a few points but not much.
You bet they did. SOTC had a pretty notorious framerate on PS3.

Shadow of the Colossus is a visual masterpiece in this regard. It doesn't have the best framerate we've ever seen - though it never actually hinders gameplay in any way - and the game's geometric detail isn't as high as some other lookers on the system, but its art direction is matched only by a very, very small number of games.
Of course, there are a few niggles. At times, you get the sense that the PS2 is being pushed a little too hard. It definitely could do with a little more, um, horsepower to make things smoother, but it hardly detracts from the overall enjoyment even a tiny bit.
The game makes such an exceptional visual effort, in fact, that it's a disappointment that the technical execution is less than perfect. This is primarily due to an uneven frame rate, which is reasonably smooth while you're exploring the land but can dip dangerously low when a battle heats up--the worst time for it to happen. The camera can also be a bit erratic while you're climbing around the back of a colossus, though you can hold down L1 to center the camera on the monster, which helps to mitigate this problem. The low frame rate is actually countered somewhat by a motion blur effect, which makes everything appear a little smoother and adds a superb cinematic quality to boot. The game also supports 480p and widescreen modes on HDTVs, which enhances the visual presentation all the more. In any event, this is still one of the best-looking games on the PlayStation 2, and these minor visual flaws absolutely shouldn't keep you from playing it.

B33

Banned

Both suffered from framerate issues and "peculiar" controls, neither of which were detrimental to those games.

Ueda and Team ICO are known for pushing the technical hardware limits of the consoles they harness for their work.

ghibli99

Both suffered from framerate issues and "peculiar" controls, neither of which were detrimental to those games.

Ueda and Team ICO are known for pushing the technical hardware limits of the consoles they harness for their work.
I don't remember the framerate of ICO being bad (SOTC was a different story), but the game's resolution was like, low-low res. Artistically beautiful, but giant pixel city. :)

Considering some of those Y2Kev shots look like concept art, I suspect the same "visual masterpiece of art direction" will be uttered a lot in reviews much like Shadow of the Colossus and Ico
WPqAZ4t.jpg
That's gameplay. Never in a million years would I guess that out of context

B33

Banned
I don't remember the framerate of ICO being bad (SOTC was a different story), but the game's resolution was like, low-low res. Artistically beautiful, but giant pixel city. :)

You've a point. I can only think of a couple of times I noticed framerate issues for ICO during my playthrough. It was definitely more of an issue with SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS.

Point being that both games had technical issues and neither deterred from the experience. They were minor flaws in otherwise exceptional games.

S1kkZ

Considering some of those Y2Kev shots look like concept art, I suspect the same "visual masterpiece of art direction" will be uttered a lot in reviews much like Shadow of the Colossus and Ico

That's gameplay. Never in a million years would I guess that out of context

there are parts in this game...it just looks unreal.

Salaadin

Man, I want this game to review so well just to shut up the "it'll never be good!" people.
Hoping all these glowing early impressions aren't an anomaly and that the review scores also reflect this same level of enthusiasm.

I don't usually care about reviews beyond reading my favorite sites and seeing how a game was received, but I'm actually really anxious for The Last Guardian reviews

tesqui

I don't usually care about reviews beyond reading my favorite sites and seeing how a game was received, but I'm actually really anxious for The Last Guardian reviews

I think this is the most anxious I've been about reviews since Evil Within. (Love that game despite the criticism)

I might just blackout them altogether and go in fresh.

S1kkZ

you could easily rip the game to shreds if you wanted. if the (emotional) main theme of the game doesnt click with you..well, than it wont be a good experience.
and there are so many flaws (performance, camera, someties the controls), that a low score can easily be justified.

Karak

you could easily rip the game to shreds if you wanted. if the (emotional) main theme of the game doesnt click with you..well, than it wont be a good experience.
and there are so many flaws (performance, camera, someties the controls), that a low score can easily be justified.

Ya that is what I am waiting for to see who focuses on what and how. Its got a lot of issues, but its also got specific things that make it really special. Going to be VERY interesting come review time.

Astral

I'm gonna sound like an asshole but I was kinda hoping it wouldn't be so good. I already bought Pokemon, Doom, Titanfall 2, Shadow of Mordor, and FFXV. My wallet can't handle any more.

its fucking 5 am, i just finished this game, despite having zero tolerance for sub-30 fps and an appointment in 3 hours.

and it was fucking worth it.

Good to hear. Can't believe i'll have my hands on this masterpiece soon. Please someone post some uncompressed 1080p screenshots. It's quite obvious the game is nowhere near 4k or even has a pro patch for that matter.

De_Legend

Banned

I wonder why the other two games did not get shred to pieces then.

I typically don't partake on guesses for scores but for TLG I'll make the exception and double down on 92.

It is not yet time for the students to surpass the master.

:p

Well, this thread has pretty much convinced me to take a break from FFXV come Tuesday regardless of what the reviews say. I've never played SOTC nor Ico, but I do understand the impact they had on the industry. I'm really looking forward to this.

PlayerOne

Banned
They speak in gibberish so you're gonna to read a lot of text

Possibly the most brilliant thing about these games.

More often than not, native languages or the disconnect between the games visuals and the dub seem to take away that sense of familiarity for the players.

Playing a Japanese game with subs or dubs, it always felt foreign in spite of having watched anime for a long time. I reckon its the same way for other foreign players. There is still that 2% of cultural differences that we may never understand no matter what.

Using a made-up language and no subs in previous games take all those away and let s focus on interactions and emotions without the need for nuances specific only to a certain culture.

Vena

I wonder why the other two games did not get shred to pieces then.

Because it was a different time (over a decade ago), and even still people will regularly knock SotC on certain issues such as the frame rate or other technical issues but sell the game on the narrative and/or gameplay/scale with the bosses (the latter of which is a defining mark in the design of boss encounters, its a mark on history for gaming). The bosses were a big point in SotC's favor even if you bounced off of the story/characters.

If, much like in Ico (in my opinion), you deflect off of the narrative being presented, you may find yourself rather-empty handed from the game but I can't say as I haven't played the game yet and won't for a week or so.

Because it was a different time (over a decade ago)
Dark Souls and Witcher 3 weren't a decade ago and suffered from framerate issues

I don't think "it was a different time" really has anything to do with it. If the core gameplay and overall package is good enough, it will outshine the other issues.,

Dark Souls and Witcher 3 weren't a decade ago and suffered from framerate issues

I don't think "it was a different time" really has anything to do with it. If the core gameplay and overall package is good enough, it will outshine the other issues.,

sorry i cant take you seriously if you enjoy games at 20fps. 20fps is a crime in gaming and playing games under 60fps should be punishable by law. you should change your gaf name to less_framerate if you want to be like this!!!!!11111111111111one

- - -

I'm not too worried about scores being affected by tech issues. No one really docks more than a point or two max for performance issues. We've seen fallout 4 get 9s and even 9.5s lol.

I'm excited. My copy shows up today and my JP first print shows up in a few days. I hope I don;t end up ordering the iam8bit vinyl because of the music.

Vena

Dark Souls and Witcher 3 weren't a decade ago and suffered from framerate issues. I don't think "it was a different time" really has anything to do with it. If the core gameplay and overall package is good enough, it will outshine the other issues.

I was responding to SotC/Ico. They were from over a decade ago.

Yes, obviously, a superb package of offerings will help outshine the issues, I said as much with SotC and how its whole bag of offerings overcame its technical pitfalls and cemented it as a classic.

Hence why I also noted my opinion on Ico and how, deflecting off of the narrative, left the game rather mediocre in my eyes because it was a rather empty package outside of that. SotC was not, and to your raised games, even if you deflected off of the narrative/lore of DS, there's a very rich mechanical game underneath it (its actually a lot like SotC), and Witcher 3 has such an enormous depth and breathe in offerings that it feels like an erroneous comparison.

I was responding to SotC/Ico. They were from over a decade ago.

Yes, obviously, a superb package of offerings will help outshine the issues, I said as much with SotC and how its whole bag of offerings overcame its technical pitfalls and cemented it as a classic.
Yes, but I feel that the notion that keeps appearing that it was a different time and that's why those game's issues were excused really makes no sense when we have games with similar issues that are beloved and receive incredible critical acclaim

Vena

Yes, but I feel that the notion that keeps appearing that it was a different time and that's why those game's issues were excused really makes no sense when we have games with similar issues that are beloved and receive incredibly critical acclaim

See my edit on that. :D

TheXbox

Sounds like a flawed masterpiece. It's a little frustrating they couldn't sort out the technical issues, even with the leap to new hardware. Shitcan that engine

Top Bottom