• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian and the Tests of Patienceヾ(#`0´)ノ

Do you think Bluepoint should remake this game for the PS5 and fix all of its design and AI issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bought this game like 3 years ago because I was still hyped after finishing SoTC but then I never even bothered installing it. It was really strange, I've no idea why I did that.

I should play it at some point.
Like any Team ICO/genDesign game, it's it's own thing. Don't expect SoTC 2 out of this nor Ico 2. It may or may not be for you

Terenty

The weakest game of the trilogy, imho. Half of the game you are sitting on Triko's back waiting for him to jump from one place to another while doing nothing. Only a few cool puzzles, the rest are solved by pressing forward, Triko will do the rest. And no, there's no bond system in the game, he is as obedient at the start of the game as he is at the end.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I've seen blood in your Trico in one of the screenshots. Clean his wounds, pet the big fella and you will bond more with him, so he will get more responsive as the game progresses.
tumblr_patt1pibzt1urwtrco2_250.gifv

How on goddamn earth am I supposed to know that you can do it and that it will have an effect? I pet him often, but it never occurred to me that you can clean the blood and that it can have an effect. JFC, man.
This game was amazing. It would look timeless at 4K/60.
As great as it is art, world and design-wise, I think there's way too much bloom and over-bright issues, as well as shimering and alliasing on vegitation, grass etc. Evean at 4K on the PS5 it doesn't look great. GFX Remake can fix all this, a simple PS5 update - can't and won't.

Last edited:

Fbh

I like the unresponsive design of Trico. Sure it can be frustrating at times but it actually captures what it would feel like to interact with an animal like this.
IMO if they made it so he is super smart and efficient and instantly reacts to all your commands like a robot the game would loose a lot of what makes it unique and memorable.

What's truly sad is that the game is actually playable at 60fps on Ps5 IF you have the physical version and leave it unpatched. A simple update to unlock the framerate would instantly make this better for everyone

BootsLoader

Banned
His AI is like that by design

I've seen blood in your Trico in one of the screenshots. Clean his wounds, pet the big fella and you will bond more with him, so he will get more responsive as the game progresses.

He was meant to be like a "real" animal that doesnt act like you want all the time.

This game was amazing. It would look timeless at 4K/60.

PS4 era Sony had so many unique games
I really liked that they designed him this way. Hope he wont get on my nerves when I will play the game.

Hugare

tumblr_patt1pibzt1urwtrco2_250.gifv

How on goddamn earth am I supposed to know that you can do it and that it will have an effect? I pet him often, but it never occurred to me that you can clean the blood and that it can have an effect. JFC, man.

As great as it is art, world and design-wise, I think there's way too much bloom and over-bright issues, as well as shimering and alliasing on vegitation, grass etc. Evean at 4K on the PS5 it doesn't look great. GFX Remake can fix all this, a simple PS5 update - can't and won't.
Yeah, the game never tells. But I saw about it on an old interview with the developer.

They really wanted for you to see him as a real animal

And with that said, dont spam commands. It actually confuses the creature and does more harm than good.

Oh and the game doesnt run at 4K on the PS5 if you are playing it on a 1080p display. It's one of those few games that recognizes your video output and renders the game accordingly, so if the video output is at 1080p it runs at 1080p; if 4K, it runs at 4K

It kinda sucks, 'cause I game on a 1080p monitor and enjoy the benefits of downsample from higher resolutions.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
And with that said, dont spam commands. It actually confuses the creature and does more harm than good.
I'm not doing that.
So, the way I'm doing it: I see a ledge up high (for example), clearly this is where the game wants me to go and there's a ladder up there as well, so I command Trico to go there, he gets there and then just sitting or standing in place, rising he's head a bit and that's it. I recon that he should stand up on his back legs, grab the ledge and create and opportunity for me to get up there, just like he did a few times before... and it's just not happening. I've restarted the game a few times, died a few times thinking that maybe I missed something or some script failed to trigger, but nope. And then after almost 30 min of trying whatever, he finally did what he should've right from the start.
----------------
Oh and the game doesnt run at 4K on the PS5 if you are playing it on a 1080p display. It's one of those few games that recognizes your video output and renders the game accordingly, so if the video output is at 1080p it runs at 1080p; if 4K, it runs at 4K
I'm playing games on the PS5 using my LG 27GL83A-B 1440p 144Hz HDR monitor, it supports 120Hz mode on the PS5, native downsampling from 4K to 1440p and all my screens are at 4K. PS5 also set up to play all games at 4K and not 1440p (which it natively supports now after system software update).

Last edited:

Toons

Man, never I was so amazed and at the same time so frustrated while playing a video game, which should not make you angry and frustrated at all by design and based on what it is and what it's trying to say and show you. It's like, one minute you're trying to pick up your jaw from the floor just cuz of how amazing the game looks (let's face it - for a PS3 game) when it comes to art, architecture of the world etc., how great the sense of place and scale is, how breathtaking the animations are of literally everything, how they even thought about making Trico's eyes shine in the dark, wet and dirty just like they are when it comes to cats in real life for example, to show you how sad he is and makes you care about him etc, even if he's dumb...

Ww2Q0BR.jpg
BEEgFX1.jpg
1EG5ZUy.jpg
bypsT1g.jpg
q1NQeCg.jpg
Kcbpm6G.jpg
C7hGich.jpg
ViJVt8M.jpg
VqCpE33.jpg
Wh2NKQz.jpg
kYS4xUK.jpg
8CPa0F3.jpg
rXY9IUC.jpg
UrBBs55.jpg
5LyeP7G.jpg
jkp2X5r.jpg
ebOahua.jpg
kyDVvd1.jpg
dyp6tlA.jpg

....and then you're fighting with absolutely abysmal camera and stupid Triko's AI which is refusing to help you and do what needs to be done to progress further into the game. The camera is probably your worst enemy in this game... after Trico of course. I hate it so much, It's very floaty, extremely annoying to control if not impossible at times cuz it'll just bounce of walls and various obsticles and there's almost nothing you can do about it except to fight for countrol as if you're fighting for your life. And Trico.... I swear, as good and as adorable he looks, he's AI is x10 times as dumb and stupid. It took me two complete reastarts of the game to make him rise and stand againts the wall for me to get where the game want's me to go. Even the fact that you can sort of tell him what to do is not working like 80% of the time and it's also no helping that you don't even know what you need to do at times to make him do something and at what place.

Honestly, this heavy reliance on Trico's stupid and dumb AI to progress through the game from a designt stanpoint sucks out if not all enjoyment ouf of the game, but diffinitely significant chunk of it for sure along with the camera issues. You can clearly see that devs tried to add options for the boy as well with various vines hanging from walls and stuff, but then someone came to their office, saw what the fuck they're doing and said that they should stop doing all this cuz Trico will be the only option to solve puzzles and progress through just about any obsticles / environment in the game.

I think Bluepoint needs to take their hands on this game and remake it for the PS5 on their engine, make Trico's AI smarter and scripts related to him work better, make more obvious what you need to do without showing and telling exactly what you need to do (it's not easy, but I'm sure they can think of something - visual cues, sounds etc.), fix goddamn camera, add Photo Mode etc. Not to mention that this game is an absolute nightmare for people with disabilities who can't play games like rest of the people can, so there also needs to be tons of accessibility options and QOL changes.

Fuckin' do it, Sony! Save this game from its original design hell, let more people play it and make it shine on your current console and maybe even PC. At this point I just can't see myself playing this game ever again (after I finish it) in a state that it is right now.
I actually still need to finish this game. I remember it being quite mesmerizing even with its issues snd its been years since I played it

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
"I wanna consume a product again and just have a graphical overhaul and easier AI."

Lmao. Game was good and still is good.

Certinty

I gave up midway through. Got to a point where it was extremely boring with all the issues it had, even tried forcing myself through it at one point but just couldn’t.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The problem is the AI of the cat. If you take this, the game is good. Not great thou

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Aaaaand... it's done.

QRuvXVq.jpg
Damn, what a game. You were right Hugare Hugare , as soon as I started removing blood from Trico's feathers and progress further into the game, all problems with him simply vanished... well, except one time when he tried to gain speed and accendentely throwed me into the bottomless pit (what shouldn't have happened cuz the whole thing looked like cinematic sequence):messenger_tears_of_joy: I was sure that other creatures will eat Trico alive as soon as one of them tore off his tail, but thank god it didn't happen cuz otherwise I could've been swiming in the sea of tears:messenger_loudly_crying:

I mean, I can't say the game is perfect cuz camera is still shit and not ideal to say the least, but almost all other gameplay problems I had with the game is just not there for me anymore. I wish there were way more puzzles throughout the whole game involving mirror (or something else) to add more vatiety to puzzles. But alas, there's a narrative reason for the mirror to not be a part of your arsenal until almost the end part of the game, boy did I had fun with the mirror as soon as I got it back though:messenger_smiling_horns:
UaiayHS.jpg
K4rMq9Q.jpg
tpyWTca.jpg
tFz1Kt3.jpg
D6GZcym.jpg
I think I'm going to replay this game now cuz I love it so much despite some of the flaws. Can't say how much I loved exploring the world of this game and be amazed of just how huge it is (the architecture, art design and sense of scale is second to none), cuz I think that no matter what I'll say, it'll still be a huge understatement. I do wish that one day there will be remake using modern tech to fix camera, aliasing issues, color/tone mapping and brightness issues, over reliance on bloom etc. etc. and of course I'd love to play ICO as well which I can't do right now cuz there's not PS4 version:messenger_pensive:

Last edited:
After playing the game multiple times, I found petting and giving him the barrels does make Trico more responsive. Or you can hold the R1 button and do that cute skipping animation like an impatient kid.

TexMex

I love this game. And it isn’t fine as is. But I don’t want Bluepoint spending their time on it either.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
After playing the game multiple times, I found petting and giving him the barrels does make Trico more responsive.
And so I did right from the start, same goes for taking out spears over the course of the game. I only didn't know about the fact that you can clean blood as well, but the game does't tell you this. Barrels though, damn. What a reveal at the end. I don't feel good by feeding barrels to Trico knowing what they actually are now.

Last edited:
And so I did right from the start, same goes for taking out spears over the course of the game. I only didn't know about the fact that you can clean blood as well, but the game does't tell you this. Barrels though, damn. What a reveal at the end. I don't feel good by feeding barrels to Trico knowing what they actually are now.

Yeah, that was very dark. And now they reward you with costumes if you keep giving more.

DelireMan7

Played it on release (I should replay it) and loved it. Don't remember Camera issues.

I get you for Trico but honestly I found his behavior very realistic for an animal. He's listening when he wants to.
Intentional or not from the dev ? dumb AI or genius AI ? I don't know but Trico is for me a perfect representation of an (domestic) animal . Can be frustrating but I love him.

Top Bottom