• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets Overhaul These Early Access Services

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I really hate the current EARLY ACCESS system steam / Epic currently have, and I would like to see the approval and application process revised in 2024 and going forward. The current system is why many of us don't really support most of these games in EA.

Before I start this I want to preface this with there are some really good EA titles, but there are way way ore titles that use the system to circumvent its intended design.

First and foremost we need a timeframe for Early Access. I feel before a game can join EA there has to be some specific timeframe before the game comes out be it 6 months to a year. We bitterly have games in EA that are multi year running. While the longest was like 17 years (WWII Online). This needs to full stop.

The idea behind EA was to have people support your game while offering you constructive feedback and help shape the game. However what its being used as is to collected money for a game when it may not ever be release. As within the terms of the EA you are told that the game may never actually release as completed. IE it can be cancelled etc and you lose your money.

What EA should be used for is Glorified Alpha and Betas. Your game should be feature complete but need some tuning etc to get it into a commercial state. Not bare bones concepts scamming for cash grabs.

Developers should have to repay individuals who are supporting you by purchasing EA if your game ends development. Maybe Steam should hold the funds till milestones are met.

Developers are asking individuals to invest in their games early so there should be a heft discount for those who are providing you feedback. 50% off for EA supporters.

As a benefit for being an EA supporter within X days of the launch of the EA you will receive the final 1.0 release 3-5 days earlier than the public. This incentivies people to join the process.

What other changes would you like to see for EA games? or do you like it the way it is?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Developers should have to repay individuals who are supporting you by purchasing EA if your game ends development. Maybe Steam should hold the funds till milestones are met.

First idea is impossible because the developers will spend the money and if things go belly up you cannot get blood from a stone.

Second one turns Valve into a publisher of every EA game which I doubt they have any interest in doing.

Maybe I just lack imagination but I don't see how it can be significantly reformed. It's impossible to tell just how sincere or honest a dev is being. I normally just avoid EA.

Ribi

developer and their investors need a return on their investment quickly and devs can get money now to help fund the game to get it to release.

Lets be real tho... EA now is kinda just GAAS. Its not a bad thing just know what it is.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I was hooked on this mobile game that was early access for almost 2 years. It finally launched this August on Google Play, was abandoned 1 month later in September, and shut down permanently in January. Less than 4 months after release it was shut down and the developers ran off with everyone's money. I was out over $2,000 and I know others who were out 3 times that much. It's was a scam, always was a scam, and these things always will be a scam. Never again for me, and that goes with digitall pre-orders as well.
(The game was from a Chinese developer and was called Myth:Gods of Asgard)

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

You're speaking of another issue, which is games releasing incomplete or just being of poor quality in general, that isn't an Early Access issue as that is ultimately just a label.

At the very least when devs call something EA you can at least know what to expect or be generally wary of it.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
You're offering a lot of ideas that would take a crap ton of work to implement, manage, and police. The easiest way to manage this is to inform buyers what early access is, what the risks are, and let them make an informed decision.
I feel before a game can join EA there has to be some specific timeframe before the game comes out be it 6 months to a year. We bitterly have games in EA that are multi year running.
Wasn't BG3 in EA for 3 years? If they're ready for feedback on what they. have 3 years before they're done, that's fine. Better than working in a vacuum for 3 years and shipping things they have no user feedback on.

Your game should be feature complete but need some tuning etc to get it into a commercial state.
Hard disagree.

I don't think you understand what a risky pain in the ass this would be for Valve.

winjer

Gold Member
Some years ago I did support a few games in early access, but after several disappointments, I stopped doing it.
I won't buy a single early access game ever again.

In my case, the game that contributed the most in this change of attitude was Wrath: Aeon of ruin.
This is a retro fps, published by 3DRealms, that entered early access in 2019.
I bought it, full price, over 3 years ago, thinking it would not take much longer for the full release.
Sadly, the game was delayed so many times, that for a while most people though it had been abandoned.
The game is now set to be released this February. That is 4.5 years after entering early access. Which is ridiculous for an indie game with quake 1 graphics, considering that some AAA games don't take this long to be made.

But to make things much worse, a couple of years ago, the game was part of a Humble Bundle. And soon it was selling for under 2 euros on most key sites.
This was such a kick in the balls for everyone that paid full price for the game and didn't even get a complete version, before it was given away in a bundle.

Similar things happened with other games, though not as bad.
But this was a cautionary event for me, as to not support these projects until they are finished.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I've never been a fan of Early Access, i don't think anyone should pay for anything before it's finished, and a lot of Early Access games and Kick starters didn't get finished after they took the money as well, yeah they gave various reasons, but i wonder how many spent the money on things other than the games.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Some years ago I did support a few games in early access, but after several disappointments, I stopped doing it.
I won't buy a single early access game ever again.

In my case, the game that contributed the most in this change of attitude was Wrath: Aeon of ruin.
This is a retro fps, published by 3DRealms, that entered early access in 2019.
I bought it, full price, over years ago, thinking it would not take much longer for the full release.
Sadly, the game was delayed so many times, that for a while most people though it had been abandoned.
The game is now set to be released this February. That is 4.5 years after entering early access. Which is ridiculous for an indie game with quake 1 graphics, considering that some AAA games don't take this long to be made.

But to make things much worse, a couple of years ago, the game was part of a Humble Bundle. And soon it was selling for under 2 euros on most key sites.
This was such a kick in the balls for everyone that paid full price for the game and didn't even get a complete version, before it was given away in a bundle.

Similar things happened with other games, though not as bad.
But this was a cautionary event for me, as to not support these projects until they are finished.
They went on long vacations with your money.

Say no to early access.

Schmick

The only Early Access I bought was Next Car Game which would later become Wreckfest. It turned out all ok in the end but for a long time there were a lot of angry players complaining about the slow development of the game.

Top Bottom