• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Command & Conquer Remastered Collection Hinted By EA’s Lead Producer

EA-Might-Be-Hinting-At-Another-Command-Conquer-Remastered-Collection.jpg

A collection of 17 titles from the storied real-time strategy game series, Command & Conquer Ultimate Edition, was recently released on Steam. The bundle includes a ton of community improvements and optimizations like level editors which have been anticipated for a long time, and is landing at a discounted price. The good news doesn’t end there, though, as a potential teaser about another Command & Conquer remastered collection was also dropped with the games that were added to Steam.

Jim Vesella, a prominent figure within the Command & Conquer community and a Lead Producer at EA, was the individual who initially unveiled the Command & Conquer Remastered collection. He recently posted a letter to the community on Steam, which, while containing generic community engagement content, slipped in an interesting line in the second paragraph: “After the launch of the first C&C Remastered Collection.”

Did you catch that hint? The use of “first C&C Remastered Collection,” not simply “C&C Remastered Collection,” raises eyebrows and fuels speculation.
Now there are a few things that add nuance to this discovery.
  • If you check Vesella’s Reddit profile, his last comment before the above-mentioned one, was 4 years ago, and the fact that EA released a unique statement on this even speaks something.
  • Also, the comment’s mention of “Until next time” raises questions about future plans beyond the Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection’s release.
  • Then, the announcement of map editors FinalSun and FinalAlert 2 for Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2, released under the GPL version 3.0 license, prompts curiosity about why only these two games received editors.
With the approaching 30th Anniversary of Command & Conquer next year, it’s reasonable to speculate that EA might be testing the audience on Steam and potentially preparing for remasters of Tiberium Sun and Red Alert 2, given their significance in the franchise.

Of course, this could be nothing more than a simple oversight or a whimsical desire for the project to materialize. However, given Vesella’s integral role as the face of the project and his previous contributions to the C&C community, there’s a possibility that this subtle hint could be intentional.

Since its first PC release in 1995, the Command & Conquer game has received numerous expansions and sequels that its fans continue to cherish. And this week, Command & Conquer fans received some welcome news after a lengthy wait.

amigastar

Great news. I still have to play C&C remastered properly but i have a question.
Could it be that C&C Generals is badly balanced? I remember playing it in LAN many years ago and it seemed to be unbalanced.
Definitely no Starcraft level of polish.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Great news. I still have to play C&C remastered properly but i have a question.
Could it be that C&C Generals is badly balanced? I remember playing it in LAN many years ago and it seemed to be unbalanced.
Definitely no Starcraft level of polish.
Zero Hour had no balance at all, if a remaster is developed it needs to address that.

Krathoon

Yeah. I noticed that they patched all the C&C games on EA. So, I assumed they are all upgraded.

I may fire up Red Alert 2 and see if anything has changed.

They need to post a change log of what they did to them.

Krathoon

I am not certain if these patches invalidate the fan patches.

Did they add multiplayer or do you need to fan patch it still?

I never really used multiplayer.

Hudo

Hudo Hudo my man, you're missing out on this rumor about a new C&C Remastered Collection. :p
I was aware of the rumor and the interesting phrasing of Jim Vesella's post... But... you know... I am too frightened to get my hopes up... (But I fucking want to).

Edit: EA, if you can bankroll garbage like Immortals of Aveum, then surely, you can spend a couple of millions on remastering TibSun and Red Alert 2. Even the lads over at Petroglyph (Ex-Westwood devs) are waiting to get to work.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Well, it looks like the EA patch broke Red Alert 2. I had to install the CNCNet patch to get it to work.

Way to go EA.

Hudo

EA also said recently that they were going to focus more on their own IPs instead of licenses. So this rumor coupled with their "refocus" on their own shit is essentially me huffing double hopium.

Im so bummed the remastered collection never came to consoles. Yeah I know in general strategy games are better played with a mouse but we already have Civilization, Age of Empires etc on consoles.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ra2 was a lot of fun, especially giant mod maps with big battles, was regularly called a cheater as I was actually good at it.

When are they gonna remaster the Dune games now with the movies buzzing again
Unless something has changed, never. Last was stated, Brian Herbert, who manages his father Frank Herbert's estate, did not want the Dune games resurrected due to them not being canon and causing potential confusion for some fans.

SABRE220

Zero Hour had no balance at all, if a remaster is developed it needs to address that.
The balance was bullshit but it was still wacky fun. Airforce general dominated with the strategy center rush for free carpet bombing and one simple combat chinook rush could end the game. The fact that aurora bombers were unstoppable meant even late game USA would dominate and destroy any target with no counter.

A good balance rework of zero hour would be goated material.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I was a big fan of the Command and Conqueror games back in the day especially Red Alert 2, i didn't play them much after RA 2 though, especially 4, that was terrible,i'll keep an eye on this, see how they turn out.

Cyberpunkd

Unless something has changed, never. Last was stated, Brian Herbert, who manages his father Frank Herbert's estate, did not want the Dune games resurrected due to them not being canon and causing potential confusion for some fans.
Because his thrash is not causing confusion…

DaGwaphics

Spent so many hours with C&C on PS1 and later with C&C 3. Would love to get a new entry.

Maybe a remaster is a step towards that.

Krathoon

The EA store is the most buggy app ever. All kinds of problems.

Also, the damn thing keeps forgetting my password.

The previous app, Origin, was way better. There was no reason to make a new one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom