• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

svegis

Hooray, I finally announced a new iOS game today! Cook, Serve, Delicious is coming to iPad on December 13th (hopefully if it goes through Apple approval ok). I've discounted the PC/Mac versions of CSD down to $5.95 (+30% off) which is good until the iPad version is released.

More details and screens here: http://www.vertigogaming.net/blog/?p=2226

Here's to hoping it's get approved on both App Store and Steam.
Game deserves to be enjoyed by many more!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The 1.10.1 update for Flick Kick Football just got approved. Basically, just strips out OpenFeint given that service is closing.

Should be available on an App Store near you soon.

I see it ;)

Koodo

Banned
Super Mole Escape is a cute game. The multiplayer was a nice addition.

What's the point of the "new costume" upgrades? Is it just vanity?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
freezes on my iPad 3 as well.

Sorry about that. We submitted an update which has some bug and crash fixes yesterday. Hopefully it gets a quick turnaround. Apple have been snappier than usual this December.

Flunkie

Banned
From a developer standpoint, I can see the rationale for turning GameCenter into a spamfest. What it boils down to is giving the user an incentive to advertise your game to every single one of their friends. Even if only 1% end up downloading it (and a fraction of that actually spending money), it's still mission accomplished for them. They reached an audience who otherwise would have likely never A. heard of it B. cared about it. It's annoying for the other 99%, which they don't care about because they either have the game already or couldn't give two shits about it. And developers are just now seemingly finding out out how to exploit this "challenge all" feature. In the meantime, just be glad that more developers haven't caught on yet, what with a lot of updates rolling out with Christmas content, OpenFeint removal, before-the-freeze patches, etc.

Mik2121

So I was just checking the OT now and saw ARC Squadron. It looked nice and decided to buy it, but for some reason it's not available on the Japanese store. Why?...

Seriously, limiting games to certain regions is not something I thought I would see anymore with digital releases, yet some people still keep doing this.. Now, I believe someone related to this title posts on GAF? If so, I would love to hear an explanation, or if they changed the name for this store, I would love to know the name here (and I know of a couple other titles limited to certain stores like jubeat and Reflec Beat, but those are music games and all their songs are Japanese, so it takes longer to get the games released out of Japan).

Apath

I saved up 100,000 credits today to get a $10 Amazon gift card -- to then buy an iTunes gift card, to then buy Baldur's Gate -- only to find out that Amazon doesn't offer iTunes gift cards. Now I need to work my way back up to get 160,000 credits for a $15 iTunes gift card.
Not sure if this would help ya, but I do a weird claw grip thing where I use right index for aiming and reloading and right thumb for button stuff. This allows shooting and aiming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1benFg2mqAA&list=UUbZo4HMR__-oNJjuXUC6sRw&index=2
This actually worked surprisingly well. I've also adjusted to just bunkering down and using the iron sites from cover. It's actually much better than I originally thought, but still mind-numbingly awful in terms of controls. I just don't get why the gyro doesn't work ;_;

The 1.10.1 update for Flick Kick Football just got approved. Basically, just strips out OpenFeint given that service is closing.

Should be available on an App Store near you soon.
On a side note, are there any plans to update Flick Kick Field Goal to full screen on iPad?

LuchaShaq

Banned
From a developer standpoint, I can see the rationale for turning GameCenter into a spamfest. What it boils down to is giving the user an incentive to advertise your game to every single one of their friends. Even if only 1% end up downloading it (and a fraction of that actually spending money), it's still mission accomplished for them. They reached an audience who otherwise would have likely never A. heard of it B. cared about it. It's annoying for the other 99%, which they don't care about because they either have the game already or couldn't give two shits about it. And developers are just now seemingly finding out out how to exploit this "challenge all" feature. In the meantime, just be glad that more developers haven't caught on yet, what with a lot of updates rolling out with Christmas content, OpenFeint removal, before-the-freeze patches, etc.

Making me use some nonsense like game center, and THEN turning it into a spam fest is the second fastest way for me to badmouth and uninstall your game, and never pay a cent for any IAP.

The fastest way are the games that ignore DONT ALLOW push notifications. You do that even once uninstall/1 star review.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Into the Dead is cool but will probably get old fast. Doesn't seem to have the same kind of twitch skill mechanics as Jetpack Runner for example, and just going left/right and using the weapons you pick up feels like pretty limited gameplay scope. I think they should have had an actual aiming element or something to it, so you can cheap out and just fire ahead of you but have them take more shots or go for headshots and conserve ammo or something. And is there jumping or is that automatic? They should make it manual if the latter. And zombies to the left and right able to reach you if you stumble making you want to get it right. But then they should also balance it so no zombies show up right after an obstacle (only if they were already there before you reached it, so you could doge/shoot them before making the jump). Maybe eventually they could make it fully free movement too (but still auto running, so you only have to drag your finger around to change direction, same way you'd aim the guns), so you can actually turn around and go for a different route (but it only counts as distance the distance from your origin point so you can't score points by going in circles) and it would be really cool if they added a city environment with alleys, some indoors, stairs, rooftops, etc.

eznark

Banned

The easy solution is to just block anyone who does it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Lol wow I just reinstalled Happy Street and got to a part where you could send a challenge to all your friends for a flooz. Of course I will! Sorry guys. They need to do something about the spamming challenges apps. Seriously. Make it so you can turn it off for certain games or completely. And bring back real usernames dammit Tim Cook.

It makes sense from a developer perspective but then it comes down to the player not wanting to annoy 99% of his friends list. I for one won't ever feel compelled to download a game I get to know about through spamming, and if you keep doing it with every game you play that adds this irritating feature I'm afraid your GC list will shrink (unless you don't care about any of this or think it's worth it, of course).

As of now on my list you're the only person doing this and anyone who did it with the car game stopped after they realized what was going on. I don't mind GC notifications and I enjoy how challenges work for some games (been trying to beat a couple I received for Subway Surfers), but you can imagine how off-putting it is to hear the fucking trumpet sound nonstop simultaneously from my iPhone and Mac only to see it's once again another Happy Street challenge. Thankfully my iPad wasn't around yesterday or it would have been a carnival when you did that. Nothing personal but I'll just remove you since you seem bent on doing this whenever the chance arises, and like you said it's just a matter of time before more developers decide to add this challenge all crap to their games.

PittaGAF

I bought BGEE just to show my support, I've played the saga several times back in the days and with all the mods more recently and had no n tension to play it once more.
Now I'm not sure anymore.
I was a bit concerned after reading the PC bug ridden experience...WOAH I'm impressed.
4 hours later I'm super impressed...the port is fantastic.
Not a single problem so far...on the contrary it's incredibly slick (iPad 3).
I can't belive it's so good graphically on the retina resolution, considering they had just the low res assets from 15 years ago.
The modded vanilla game looked much worse on a 720p TV (where I played last time).

I really wonder what they could do with an original ip, creating the assets today.

Zeth

I got 5 Flunkie notifications each on iPad Mini, Retina, and iPhone. Lmao, no big deal, but I really dislike the direction this is going with devs.

I nabbed FF2 for kicks. Really bummed FFT didn't get cut. :/

You'd think they would want the game to be priced similarly across all platforms, but no, the iOS versions are regularly almost twice as expensive as the PSP version (and if you're PSN+ it's actually free right now).

PittaGAF

For the ones interested in Battle of the Bulge, this was just posted by Owen Faraday (@ Pocket Tactics, which opinion I really trust...they are really MEAN with games...just have a look of last review scores)

'Battle of the Bulge is the real deal, guys. Wow.'

CAN'T WAIT.

Review next week.
Also the official site is being updated as we speak with FAQ (not too positive on iPhone port now), forums, infos...as we speak.

GeekyDad

Into the Dead is cool but will probably get old fast. Doesn't seem to have the same kind of twitch skill mechanics as Jetpack Runner for example, and just going left/right and using the weapons you pick up feels like pretty limited gameplay scope. I think they should have had an actual aiming element or something to it, so you can cheap out and just fire ahead of you but have them take more shots or go for headshots and conserve ammo or something. And is there jumping or is that automatic? They should make it manual if the latter. And zombies to the left and right able to reach you if you stumble making you want to get it right. But then they should also balance it so no zombies show up right after an obstacle (only if they were already there before you reached it, so you could doge/shoot them before making the jump). Maybe eventually they could make it fully free movement too (but still auto running, so you only have to drag your finger around to change direction, same way you'd aim the guns), so you can actually turn around and go for a different route (but it only counts as distance the distance from your origin point so you can't score points by going in circles) and it would be really cool if they added a city environment with alleys, some indoors, stairs, rooftops, etc.

I was bored with it after about five minutes. And when my rewards got glitched, I erased it. It's a cool-looking game, but not all that captivating to me.

I nabbed FF2 for kicks. Really bummed FFT didn't get cut. :/

Don't be a cheap bastard -- FFT is totally worth the full price and then some.

I really love Into the Dead-such a great game. Kudos to everyone at PikPok, Mario-especially because the design seemed unconventional compared to your past games. Right now I'm chipping away at this and Dash and Drop....

Flunkie

Banned
I got 5 Flunkie notifications each on iPad Mini, Retina, and iPhone. Lmao, no big deal, but I really dislike the direction this is going with devs.
Lol yeah, I won't open my iPad for awhile and it'll literally sit there rolling off 2 minutes worth of notifications.

To all the people bitching about the challenges I sent all in a row, I haven't sent a single one since so chill out. I got about 20 notifications from that one car game per day from everyone but I didn't take up in arms about it.

wilflare

You'd think they would want the game to be priced similarly across all platforms, but no, the iOS versions are regularly almost twice as expensive as the PSP version (and if you're PSN+ it's actually free right now).

is there a FF3 (3D remake) for the Vita/PSP?
would rather get that actually.

thinking on the trigger for
FF3 for iPad
TWEWY for iPad (no sale :X)
and.. probably FFT for iPad (no sale :X)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Are we doing an iOS GOTY awards before the year ends?
I think it's doable as long as someone is up to organizing the votes, but the GAF GOTY already contains iOS games and they are included in the handheld/mobile subcategories, so that's probably where most people feel inclined to vote (or even become aware there's a voting going on).

All right, so I caved and got an iPad mini. Blech.

So what's the best course of action for owning both devices? Should I transfer my save files for games over to the iPad? Should I have separate apps/games for each device or are people playing the same game on both devices? It seems like the file systems don't make this very viable anyway.

Wow, I'm not sure how I managed to read about the sales but miss the fact that IV is coming out. Tactics is tempting but I might just wait a couple weeks and grab IV.

ParityBit

Quick question. Anyone with Baldur's Gate having issues entering buildings (iPad)?

I open the door, but when I try to enter the building it does not load. Just leaves me on the main map as if I did not enter.

I was trying to do Reevor's quest in the first town and it will not let me enter his warehouse for some reason. I also am having issues going back into the barracks.

Regarding th Telltale Walking Dead game:

- For anyone who's tried both versions, is it better on the Pad or PC?
- What exactly am I buying when I buy the 7$ app and how much do the whole 5 episodes cost, when combined??

AirPlay still sucks on the new iphone 5, the extra power doesn't improve image quality any and you still get a skipping sub 30fps since it's all via wireless. I would try hdmi out but apple want £25 for a cable! f that, and I thought 20 was bad enough for hdmi out on my ipad 3.

I saved up 100,000 credits today to get a $10 Amazon gift card -- to then buy an iTunes gift card, to then buy Baldur's Gate -- only to find out that Amazon doesn't offer iTunes gift cards. Now I need to work my way back up to get 160,000 credits for a $15 iTunes gift card.
This actually worked surprisingly well. I've also adjusted to just bunkering down and using the iron sites from cover. It's actually much better than I originally thought, but still mind-numbingly awful in terms of controls. I just don't get why the gyro doesn't work ;_;
It also hurts one wrist due to all the weight being supported on left hand lol.

I do hate how they nerfed hip fire greatly in this.

no angel

Quick question. Anyone with Baldur's Gate having issues entering buildings (iPad)?

I open the door, but when I try to enter the building it does not load. Just leaves me on the main map as if I did not enter.

I was trying to do Reevor's quest in the first town and it will not let me enter his warehouse for some reason. I also am having issues going back into the barracks.

Double tap the entrance to the building, that took me ages to work out! Some process for stairs and leaving map areas.

PFD

Regarding th Telltale Walking Dead game:

- For anyone who's tried both versions, is it better on the Pad or PC?
- What exactly am I buying when I buy the 7$ app and how much do the whole 5 episodes cost, when combined??

The initial purchase ($4.99 btw, not $7) gives you the first episode. The other episodes are $4.99 each, or $14.99 together.

Synless

is there a FF3 (3D remake) for the Vita/PSP?
would rather get that actually.

thinking on the trigger for
FF3 for iPad
TWEWY for iPad (no sale :X)
and.. probably FFT for iPad (no sale :X)
Yes, the 3D Final Fantasy 3 is on PSP and is Vita compatible. I believe it is $16.99 or $19.99, I can't remember which.

Man, I'd really like to try Vice City but I'm afraid it'll go on sale soon, because I'm pretty sure the same happened to GTA3 and Chinatown Wars. Does anyone have an idea about this?

bonesquad

I see 7$. But regardless, the combined total would be 20$?

Yes, $20 USD total for all 5 TWD chapters. It should be $5 USD to start... (Wait for the steam sale in a couple weeks;)

Also, in the App Store if you scroll towards the bottom of an app's info page you will find a section that links to all the IAPs and their price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom