• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

Have anyone tried The Woods yet? Or else I might just buy it and play it until the VGA's, as it's night now.

Couldn't find it by searching the app store, but after a little digging online I found a link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-woods/id572390276?mt=8

Looks intriguing.

Wanna leave some impressions? Don't have an iPad around :(

I only have super-early impressions. I applied the 60 FPS tweak, and fired it up on my iPad 4. First thing I noticed is the game loads up nearly instantly. You can go from your iPad homescreen to having your save loaded up and playing the game in 5 seconds. Very nice.

And multitasking seems to work fine for me, no black screen when I switch apps back and forth.

The game is non-retina, but it is upscaled, so the pixels are somewhat smooth, you don't see blocky pixels as in old iPad titles that never got updated. What bothers me though is that the text is also non-retina, which is annoying because they should be able to run it at full res without increasing the file size (like King of Dragon Pass.) And there are a handful of UI elements already running at retina rez (like the current view square in your map).

The game itself plays smoothly, and it's easy to move around and select stuff, but I'm still very early in the game.

Apath

So who here has played Modern Combat 4? I just got it through freeappslots, and I have to say it's borderline unplayable. The gyro control settings would theoretically alleviate the control issues, but it has probably the worst implementation of such a feature I've ever experienced.

PittaGAF

FYI:

We will release our game “Battle of the Bulge” on the iOS App Store at 15:00 EST on 13 Dec.

:)))))

HELL YES

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
FYI:

We will release our game “Battle of the Bulge” on the iOS App Store at 15:00 EST on 13 Dec.

HELL YES

That's the boardgame-adaption we saw pics of before, right??? It looked too good to be on iPhone...

chris121580

Vice City brings back so many good memories. Really great port. Somehow I completed the helicopter detonation mission on my first try. I would've been ok with them leaving that one out

So who here has played Modern Combat 4? I just got it through freeappslots, and I have to say it's borderline unplayable. The gyro control settings would theoretically alleviate the control issues, but it has probably the worst implementation of such a feature I've ever experienced.
It's similar to every other fps on the platform.

Gyro is funky, so I don't use it.

Pachimari

FYI:

HELL YES

You excite me. Can't wait.

Couldn't find it by searching the app store, but after a little digging online I found a link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-woods/id572390276?mt=8

Looks intriguing.

I only have super-early impressions. I applied the 60 FPS tweak, and fired it up on my iPad 4. First thing I noticed is the game loads up nearly instantly. You can go from your iPad homescreen to having your save loaded up and playing the game in 5 seconds. Very nice.

And multitasking seems to work fine for me, no black screen when I switch apps back and forth.

The game is non-retina, but it is upscaled, so the pixels are somewhat smooth, you don't see blocky pixels as in old iPad titles that never got updated. What bothers me though is that the text is also non-retina, which is annoying because they should be able to run it at full res without increasing the file size (like King of Dragon Pass.) And there are a handful of UI elements already running at retina rez (like the current view square in your map).

The game itself plays smoothly, and it's easy to move around and select stuff, but I'm still very early in the game.
Yeah, there's an incredible lack of horror games on iOS and here we finally get one.

Ravensword 2 have been submitted to the App Store.

LaneDS

Seems like Final Fantasy IV's normal price will be $17.99 but it'll have an introductory launch sale.

I'd love to see sales numbers on Square's overpriced (for iOS) stuff, and I'd also love to see them try a big release like this at a greatly reduced price to see if it's eye opening for them.

Pachimari

I'm really thinking of doing a comprehensive list of upcoming games and highlighting the most interesting. I'll probably do it while I wait for VGA.

At the start, I were really furious about Gameloft copying but now I just don't care. I am excited about War Boys, it looks solid.

Apath

It's a bit odd, but not unplayable, or no one would be playing.
Hahaha, it's pretty awful simply because you can't aim and shoot at the same time. As I said, gyroscopic aiming would have been perfect, but it's beyond broken. Which I don't understand, because Uncharted: Golden Abyss has a perfect implementation of it.

heringer

Hahaha, it's pretty awful simply because you can't aim and shoot at the same time. As I said, gyroscopic aiming would have been perfect, but it's beyond broken. Which I don't understand, because Uncharted: Golden Abyss has a perfect implementation of it.

Press and hold the fire button, move your aim.

You waste a few bullets, but it works.

PittaGAF

That's the boardgame-adaption we saw pics of before, right??? It looked too good to be on iPhone...

Well, as far as I know one of the dev is actually the inventor of the board game.
The FAQ in they kickstarter (ended before the summer) stated that the project started on iPhone and that they are committed to port it on the small screen after the iPad version.
I do not know anything more, besides that my iPad IS DAMN READY :)
Can't wait to read more about the game, I wish they had released it already.

Synless

I'd love to see sales numbers on Square's overpriced (for iOS) stuff, and I'd also love to see them try a big release like this at a greatly reduced price to see if it's eye opening for them.
I was going to make a comment on how they are not overpriced, but I guess when you compare it to the $5 Vice City costs it becomes a hard argument to make.

Not sure if this would help ya, but I do a weird claw grip thing where I use right index for aiming and reloading and right thumb for button stuff. This allows shooting and aiming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1benFg2mqAA&list=UUbZo4HMR__-oNJjuXUC6sRw&index=2

Not sure if this would help ya, but I do a weird claw grip thing where I use right index for aiming and reloading and right thumb for button stuff. This allows shooting and aiming.

You should see the grip I use when I'm playing Maverick Hunter X PSP/Vita.
Right index on Square, right thumb on X, right middle finger on Circle.

Flunkie

Banned
Lol wow I just reinstalled Happy Street and got to a part where you could send a challenge to all your friends for a flooz. Of course I will! Sorry guys. They need to do something about the spamming challenges apps. Seriously. Make it so you can turn it off for certain games or completely. And bring back real usernames dammit Tim Cook.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Gubs is great, I'm still considering buying the physical version. I played the PC "demo" dubbed Pixel Edition (demonstrating the physical game at the time, it's AI vs only) a lot. But I liked their art (which Pixel Edition still uses) before the publisher changed it.
Guh, finally tried the Gubs app and they haven't added multiplayer as far as I can see, that's just stupid... It's like the PC demo, basically there to advertise the physical (and mp) version of the card game, so you have ads and IAP no-ads unlock in a demo...

soldat7

What's the quality of the iOS port of Final Fantasy Tactics like? I've never played through that game and I feel like I should once in my life, but some of the reviews on the store page suggest it might be a bit of a crash happy port and it is putting me off a slight bit.

Comparing screens from the iPad version and the iPhone version have led me to believe that the iPad version is stretched and pixel filtered, whereas the iPhone version is not. Is this true?

I'm implying that the iPhone version running at 2x would be the superior experience on iPad.

Confirmation FFIV is the DS version (made sense since III was) and release date:

Hopefully it's handled as nicely as FFIII was, the higher resolution definitely makes the game look a bit cleaner.

My excitement for this has gone back to zero. The original is one of may favorites. I won't touch the 3D version. Perhaps I'm too close-minded...

soldat7

drat...dp...sorry, I'll leave a joke:

"Knock knock"
"Who's there?"
"Little old lady."
"Little old lady who?"
"Hey, I didn't know you could yodel!"

It's fucking amazing and is made of candy. Buy it now or Boo will eat your eyes.
No bugs, etc? That's a main concern too.
Comparing screens from the iPad version and the iPhone version have led me to believe that the iPad version is stretched and pixel filtered, whereas the iPhone version is not. Is this true?

I'm implying that the iPhone version running at 2x would be the superior experience on iPad.
i got both version of FFT, I don't see much of a difference.

Well, apart from the iPhone version looking like ass on my iPad.....

PFD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1benFg2mqAA&list=UUbZo4HMR__-oNJjuXUC6sRw&index=2

theclaw_sign.jpg

PFD

No bugs, etc? That's a main concern too.

I posted some early impressions above. Also, I have run into one bug so far where I got stuck inside an inn and couldn't use any of the doors/stairs to leave. Clicking on them wouldn't do anything. I solved it by saving/reloading.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, considering Baldur's Gate to this day is still buggy as hell, even with fan patches, expecting zero bugs is a bit unrealistic. That said, I'm still not very far, but haven't had any.

They're coming though.

Into The Dead is fun but I don't like the missions where I have to set a new record distance. It's like I'm being punished for having an awesome run. :(

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Into The Dead is fun but I don't like the missions where I have to set a new record distance. It's like I'm being punished for having an awesome run. :(

I had a debate with the designer about that. I at least got him to reduce their number which helps.

There is no penalty for skipping a goal, apart from the coin cost.

Lol wow I just reinstalled Happy Street and got to a part where you could send a challenge to all your friends for a flooz. Of course I will! Sorry guys. They need to do something about the spamming challenges apps. Seriously. Make it so you can turn it off for certain games or completely. And bring back real usernames dammit Tim Cook.
Hopefully a "flooz" is worth the annoyance, I've got like 6 challenges from you in the last day.

At least the spam from that crappy car game that lasted a week or so awhile back is over, and there hasn't been another wave like that since.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Happy Street is the only game where I'd sell out my friends for sweet sweet Flooz.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing against challenges. I like 'em. It just sucks getting spammed challenges of a game i don't own. If it was just from games I owned, I'd be fine with it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Challenges are such an abortion for something that could have been so cool. Would love a real challenge system for stuff like Pinball Arcade. But SpamCenter's not the solution clearly.

Bii

Made a trip to Starbucks and noticed they had their App pick of the week: Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode II. So if you want one, quote to reveal. I have 10 codes. Only works for US accounts.

P4KFT33L6L6L EPEK44XWJMRK LKA... RY9AFKFTJMJ9 3EMK9RAPL6XM XPKPLX7FPKEK

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The 1.10.1 update for Flick Kick Football just got approved. Basically, just strips out OpenFeint given that service is closing.

Should be available on an App Store near you soon.

Stuneseht

Made a trip to Starbucks and noticed they had their App pick of the week: Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode II. So if you want one, quote to reveal. I have 10 codes. Only works for US accounts.

P4KFT33L6L6L EPEK44XWJMRK LKA... RY9AFKFTJMJ9 3EMK9RAPL6XM XPKPLX7FPKEK
I took the last code. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom