• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Debate: Torta, or Burrito?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
As a mexican i don't think it's fair to pit them.

A torta is like an universal meal that is good at every time of the day, a burrito is something you eat when you're like hanging around with friends at night and go like "hey guys, let's go get burritos!", no one ever will pit you with the choice for one or the other.

Burritos vs Hotdogs is a more likely dilema.

ReAxion

If you're from San Diego don't mess this up with fries talk.

3jPmJYD.gif

^ LOL AT GIF. PERFECT LMAO

Idk, every torta i've had always fell apart because of all the extra salsa i need to add. Then there are parts where its just nothing but bread and avacado spread plus lettuce.

maybe a recommendation of what kind of Torta to get? I always get the Carne Asada, but i think i want my corn tortilla carne asada instead.

Burrito all the way. Also, none of this weird wet burrito nonsense; that's an enchilada.

Yes, I know that technically it's not an enchilada but it's a goddamn enchilada.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
PAMBAZO-1.jpg

Yeah just posting pictures don't mind me.

Tortas are kinda limited in space like any sandwich whereas a burrito can go to infinity you just get a bigger tortilla and they are about the same price. Burrito

jabuseika

Tortas are often a bit bready for me honestly. I guess I'm going burrito but I really prefer tacos or a legit taquito.

That's because you are eating tortas with shitty bread, authentic tortas are made with bread so soft it melts in your mouth.

Then some places spread butter on the bread before toasting it a little, after that you dip or they dip the torta in a chilli sauce(the ahogada part) that is absolutely delicious.

Fuck I want one now.

Eila

That's because you are eating tortas with shitty bread, authentic tortas are made with bread so soft it melts in your mouth.

Then some places spread butter on the bread before toasting it a little, after that you dip or they dip the torta in a chilli sauce(the ahogada parte) that is absolutely delicious.

Fuck I want one now.

There's different types of bread used depending on the region.

You can get modestly cut single-filling tortas, the monsters the size of your heads are basically carnival food.

It's still a lot of bread. I'd rather make a more modest sandwich. I used to have either that or tacos for dinner everyday. Had to quit to lose weight.

CRS

Both are relatively new "North American" variants on traditional Mexican cuisine. Neither has any great claim to authenticity other than ALL the components of a burrito can be mezo-American.
Say this about tortas in Jalisco and you're getting shot.

brau

Torta. De Milanesa o Cubana.

So many different varieties tho. Burritos are good and all, but i go with my roots and what i grew up with as a mexican.

Vlaphor

If you are ever in Topeka, KS, then you have to try Tacos El Mexicano over on California St. Now, I know this a small demographic of people here, but I bring this up due to them having both amazing burritos and tortas. Whenever I go there, I always get the same thing, which is one bean and cheese burrito with sour cream and one steak torta and they are utterly amazing.

I've been there so much over the years that during a time when their credit card machine was down, they were willing to open a line of credit for me at the restaurant, so I could continue to have their amazing burritos/tortas.

brau

There's different types of bread used depending on the region.

It's still a lot of bread. I'd rather make a more modest sandwich. I used to have either that or tacos for dinner everyday. Had to quit to lose weight.

I used to go to this spanish restaurant in a club called Asturiano. They used sesame pinwheel bread and it made for amazing tortas. I wish i could find some pictures of them. Anyways. Bolillo o telera are usually the to go to. Good stuff.

Kas

Goddamn.

Makes me wish our town had more than Taco Bell and a place that makes burritos called Burrito Me.

Wish we had more Mexican places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom