• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part II)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
David Jaffe called out the Gaming-Age forum near the end of his session which was fucking hysterical. It was pretty funny to meet up with him afterwards and we had a good chat.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Amir0x said:
I think the PS2 and PSOne libraries combined are better than SNES, NES and N64 libraries combined. Because I hate almost all NES games, and N64 was a joke account system. Add Gamecube to this, though, and I think it's even.
get in the retard ward

Pimpwerx

Amir0x said:
Played NES games. Almost none of which hold up in my view, thus my adjusted viewpoint that almost all of them suck.

I didn't insult you, bro. It's pointless to put PS1 against three systems, and vice versa. I was just saying that it's not a far stretch, because two of the systems mentioned completely suck balls.
Whoa...pump those brakes, buddy. N64? Yeah, I can see you there. It had some awesome games, but not nearly enough IMO. But NES? No fucking way, man. My recent Nintendo-hate can't cloud my view of the NES. It was a sweetass system. The games don't stand up well today, but Mario3 alone defined the generation. All the Marios, Zeldas, Metroid, Ikari Warriors, Contra, Final Fantasy...just to name a fraction of a percent of the quality titles. The NES was a great machine. I still rate the PS1 and PS2 as my two favorite systems, but the NES and SNES kicked major ass too. PEACE.

Amir0x

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Whoa...pump those brakes, buddy. N64? Yeah, I can see you there. It had some awesome games, but not nearly enough IMO. But NES? No fucking way, man. My recent Nintendo-hate can't cloud my view of the NES. It was a sweetass system. The games don't stand up well today, but Mario3 alone defined the generation. All the Marios, Zeldas, Metroid, Ikari Warriors, Contra, Final Fantasy...just to name a fraction of a percent of the quality titles. The NES was a great machine. I still rate the PS1 and PS2 as my two favorite systems, but the NES and SNES kicked major ass too. PEACE.

I think SNES kicked ass. I think NES kicked ass too... back in the day. Like I said, I don't feel almost any games hold up. But as you noted, Mario Bros. 3 and things like Contra and Metroid are still good. I can't stand FF1, FF2 or FF3 though anymore. Terrible games, in my view. Time really did a number on them.

Amir0x

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
David Jaffe called out the Gaming-Age forum near the end of his session which was fucking hysterical. It was pretty funny to meet up with him afterwards and we had a good chat.

How did he call out Gaming-Age?

Scrow said:
get in the retard ward

I'm sorry I didn't take my nostalgia pill this morning :(

Jiggy

speedpop said:
Just a thought that I had (and most likely other's have had as well) is the downloading feature for Nintendo's "Virtual Console".

Why pay a fee? Why not a loyalty thing, whereby the products you are buying, i.e. games, are then turned into credit for whatever classic game you want to purchase. They've been kinda pushing for the whole Nintendo Club thing in Japan so it might not be too surprising if they do the same thing for the Virtual Console.
I hope so. I've already convinced myself it's going to happen, and the number of Nintendo-published games I otherwise would never have bought increased dramatically as a result. Thankfully, they've mostly turned out to be good games anyway and I usually got them at discount prices, but still.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Amir0x said:
How did he call out Gaming-Age?
He just mentioned that at the Gaming-Age Forum he was bitched at and called out for being a hypocrite over that whole journalism rant he did. I apologized for you fuckers, ha ha.

Raistlin

TekunoRobby,

TekunoRobby said:
Who said anything about lying? Also I most certainly didn't say that the demo was PS2 quality, I've always mantained that certain aspects of some demos were PS2 quality such as the texturing, environments for example. Word of sustained applause? There WAS applause and we were all part of it. The PS3 is a post processing monster and the Cell's ability to churn about amazing physics with advanced animation/render algorithms will really set it apart. Holy shit quit putting words in my mouth guys, I'm on the same team albeit with my mind not being torn asunder by amazement. That'll be at E3 for sure.

Rubber duckies demo FTW (seriously, its cool)!

I would say that part of the problem is you detailed the negatives, but didn't really balance it with similar detail for the positives.

So, texturing and environments were PS2 quality ... well what about the rest? You qualified the negatives with a comparison, can you do the same for the positives? What do they compare with?

Also, the 'PS3 is a post processing monster' - mind explaining what you saw that gave you that impression? Same goes with the 'advances that CELL brings to physics and animation/render algorithms' ... please go in to detail describing how it looked.

I do not mean to be rude or anything ... I'm simply pointing out why a lot of people are probably jumping down your throat. Simply, the times you went into any kind of detail were generally reserved for negatives-only.

PkunkFury

antipode said:
Obviously some of that is the quality of the implemenation, but I think some math about the resolution of cameras shows you need pretty expensive optics to get precise depth tracking.

If you use the other examples in your lab I'm interested to hear more. With Intersense, I think the problem is again having fiducials in space around you and not just the unobtrusive sensor bar Nintendo wanted (for good reason.) Ascension uses magnetic sensors and I thought that's unlikely both because people's houses have lots of metallic objects and that the TV set around the sensor bar would be a constant source of interference to begin with.

Yeah, these are all points I brought up in the other threads, and I'm happy you want to disucss, because I didn't get much response before. I've been assuming the remote tracks with infra-red and didn't hear any good responses claiming otherwise. I also agree magnetic tracking is not likely for the reasons you mentioned, and the lack of microphones/speakers on the remote rules out ultrasound.

The P5 is one of the devices I actually have used. The detection is "good enough" though I presume Nintendo has found a way to do it better, particularly because of the impressions from TGC. The reason the reviews say the info from the glove is noisy is because the P5 is tracking multiple LEDs on the glove at once (I think 7 or 8) and I believe it uses that info to determine rotation. The software has to use complex algorithms to determine which lights are where, and occlusion is also a problem. The revmote I think will use gyros. About the range, I know the P5 only works within a foot or two of the bar. Whyis that? because it is meant for a PC, which people tend to sit directly in front of. The Rev technology will obviously remedy this for Living room conditions. Here's a quote from the article:

P5 article said:
These detectors, if owned by Essential Reality, would be a God-send for all kinds of robotics projects and other electronics. I've experimented a lot with Lego Mindstorms and believe me, there are so many uses for this sensor in navigation. The only problem is the limited range of about two feet, but perhaps more powerful lights (rather than tiny LED's) around the room would overcome this. If Essential Reality owns this patent, they are in a potentially lucrative position even without the VR Glove (does anyone know for sure?).

And the problem of retro reflective material in range of the sensors will likely persist for the rev. (You might have to take off your shoes to play :lol ). Or maybe they are using a different method, or have found a way to deal with this.

Edit: P5 gloves go for 20-30$ regularly these days (on sale, but I imagine they don't cost much more to make). It's not much a question of resolution of the camera, they are using photodiodes to sense the light, simple linear light meters, not as expensive. It seems the brightness of the light they are detecting is more or less the issue for strong tracking (large plastic section on the front of the revmote)

Also of note is the quote at the end of the P5 article:

P5 article said:
It's the usual story of a Western inventor coming up with some great technology, then failing to market it properly. These brave pioneers who invested time and money in Essential Reality have so far not met with success or rewards. If history serves as a precident, soon the Japanese will copy this, market it properly with a true killer app, and it will be a hit for them. Microsoft, where ever you are, BUY ESSENTIAL REALITY! They have some great patents, the engineers are obviously brilliant, and they will be able to further refine the glove technology. I think the current system is probably a stop-gap solution until gyro/momentum sensors drop in price, but it's still very functional. This would be the perfect peripheral for the next XBox and might give MS the edge they need over Sony.

^^How dead on is that!!! :D Did the guy who wrote this article know something?? ;)

I mentioned the high end stuff like intersense and ascension to show you that the technology to track position within centimeters does exist. Intersense, like the rev, uses tracking strips, but they are ultrasound with high quality mics and speakers. It is likely that the rev will not be able to track as well as those devices, but if the people who played with the controller at TGC are to be believed, Nintendo has found a way to track a device well enough for games.

Were it not for those impressions, I too would be pessimistic about the rev controller, since, yes, most current solutions leave something or another lacking. But remember, most current solutions haven't had the development or marketing thrust Nintendo could provide, and the power glove did this stuff decently 15 years ago. This is very exciting for those in the VR industry, because a successful rev could result in some much needed attention towards 3D tracking development, and drops in price.

Amir0x

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
He just mentioned that at the Gaming-Age Forum he was bitched at and called out for being a hypocrite over that whole journalism rant he did. I apologized for you fuckers, ha ha.

Heh. David Jaffe has to grow some balls man. Taking that shit all personal! ;)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Onix said:
TekunoRobby,

I would say that part of the problem is you detailed the negatives, but didn't really balance it with similar detail for the positives.

So, texturing and environments were PS2 quality ... well what about the rest? You qualified the negatives with a comparison, can you do the same for the positives? What do they compare with?

Also, the 'PS3 is a post processing monster' - mind explaining what you saw that gave you that impression? Same goes with the 'advances that CELL brings to physics and animation/render algorithms' ... please go in to detail describing how it looked.

I do not mean to be rude or anything ... I'm simply pointing out why a lot of people are probably jumping down your throat. Simply, the times you went into any kind of detail were generally reserved for negatives-only.
No you're right, I should have gone into detail over the reall cool aspects of the demo. I mean like I've said countless times it was a cool keynote. Just understand that it was a quick typed message that I wanted to get out ASAP so I didn't have any time to suger coat my message. I just felt that after everything that Sony's been showing and their initial E3 event that they really weren't matching the quality of what they've already shown and I think it needed to said. In any case be on the look out for a more detailed report about the PS3 when I grab one of the coders on the expo floor and ask some questions.

Raistlin

TekunoRobby said:
No you're right, I should have gone into detail over the reall cool aspects of the demo. I mean like I've said countless times it was a cool keynote. Just understand that it was a quick typed message that I wanted to get out ASAP so I didn't have any time to suger coat my message. I just felt that after everything that Sony's been showing and their initial E3 event that they really weren't matching the quality of what they've already shown and I think it needed to said. In any case be on the look out for a more detailed report about the PS3 when I grab one of the coders on the expo floor and ask some questions.

Don't worry ... I completely understand. I certainly wasn't upset at all.

I was just pointing out (the obvious probably), so you don't get ass-raped again :D

antipode

PkunkFury said:
I mentioned the high end stuff like intersense and ascension to show you that the technology to track position within centimeters does exist. Intersense, like the rev, uses tracking strips, but they are ultrasound with high quality mics and speakers. It is likely that the rev will not be able to track as well as those devices, but if the people who played with the controller at TGC are to be believed, Nintendo has found a way to track a device well enough for games.

Were it not for those inventions, I too would be pessimistic about the rev controller, since, yes, most current solutions leave something or another lacking. But remember, most current solutions haven't had the development or marketing thrust Nintendo could provide, and the power glove did this stuff decently 15 years ago. This is very exciting for those in the VR industry, because a successful rev could result in some much needed attention towards 3D tracking development, and drops in price.

Yep, that's definitely true - I guess we'll wait for E3! :)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Taking off San Francisco soon.

I must say that Nintendo keynotes are always magical. The incredible enthusiasm of Nintendo fanboys is just crazy. The absolutely mad cheering for Zelda and the Sega / TG-16 announcement was something only Nintendo seems to be able to pull off. Maybe it's that they appear honest and genuine about gaming as it's their only business model.

Otherwise the Nintendo keynote was a bit hit-and-miss. It was very disappointing that there was no substantial news apart from Zelda DS and nothing concrete on Revolution. However, Iwata-san does fantastic, entertaining, personal presentations.

And of course, they sweetened the deal of no news with a free pre-release copy of Brain Age - that news made me so happy I nearly jumped up to cheer. Last year Microsoft had nothing to tell and I got a HDTV. So, even no news pays off.

Now, Play-Asia, send me my DS Lite already so I can play some Brain Age!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TekunoRobby said:

THANKS. Will be looking forward to it.

Holy shit with all the cool news (Zelda DS/Genesis/TGFX support), I have to say that Region Free PS3 is the conference killer!

Hot damn!

GhaleonEB

krypt0nian said:
Holy shit with all the cool news (Zelda DS/Genesis/TGFX support), I have to say that Region Free PS3 is the conference killer!

Hot damn!
:rolleyes

Do you guys really not get what they said about this? Is this sarcasm?

FiRez said:
MS is really resting in their laurels
Can you explain how announcing another Zelda game and touting the back-catalog of your past systems does not constitute resting on one's laurels?

GhaleonEB said:
Can you explain how announcing another Zelda game and touting the back-catalog of your past systems does not constitute resting on one's laurels?

Especially when the topic of the keynote was innovation.

Let's innovate to the past!!

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
:rolleyes

Do you guys really not get what they said about this? Is this sarcasm?

I know what you're getting at Ghaleon, but it's already been stated that the region-free nature, and 1 SKU for publishers are 2 different parts of Phil Harrison's keynote, from Gamespot:

Gamespot said:
Harrison also revealed that, like the PSP, all PS3 games would be playable in any region, unlike current-generation games and DVDs. "Software will be region-free, so developers can put games in the TV format of their choice," he said. Films, however, would remain limited to their regions of origin, as with movies released on the PSP's UMD format.

In his presentation, Harrison said that due to the high-storage capacity of the PS3's Blu-ray Disc (BD) format, publishers would be able to release a single SKU worldwide with all localized versions on a single disc. At the Q&A, Harrison said a BD--which can hold up to 50GB--will also be able to store various video formats (PAL, NTSC, SECAM) on one disc.

FiRez

GhaleonEB said:

No only that sony announced that all the PS3 consoles will come with a HDD and the most recent announcement of free region games, ....nevermind let's hope that they surprise us on this E3

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't see any HDD-included confirmation, I think that one is still up in the air, in fact I recall Harrison refused to be drawn on the matter.

Chrono

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Especially when the topic of the keynote was innovation.

Let's innovate to the past!!

most of the keynote was about brain training and how it's bringing in new gamers not about how old games are innovative or whatever you're trying to say here.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
TekunoRobby said:
Hahaha that thread was priceless. Sure he didn't deserve it, but hey, it's an everyday occurence on GAF I believe.. the critics love to bitch about the designers. Just unfortunate that it was in another thread praising him and he happened to look into it.

FiRez

Vennt said:
I didn't see any HDD-included confirmation, I think that one is still up in the air, in fact I recall Harrison refused to be drawn on the matter.

yeah maybe it will end like the false claims of peter moore, I hope that's not the case the original xbox benefited a lot from the standard HDD a lot of PC ports were possible because of that.

Kicko

I am absolutely shocked that Nintendo made no mention of Zelda: TP. Can't believe they didn't bother to show anything. This makes me believe that the title has been shifted over to the Revolution, and thats a good thing IMO. Nintendo will have a killer ap coming right out of the gate.

Surprised no one else has touched on this subject.

ant1532

Banned
IGN said:
GDC 06: Animal Crossing Revolution: Design Philosophy

Series director Katsuya Eguchi illustrates the design philosophy of Wild World, and touches on Revolution development.

March 23, 2006 - While the major press conferences may be over here at Game Developers Conference 06, that doesn't mean there isn't more to talk about. In an Animal Crossing lecture titled "Is That a Franchise in Your Pocket?" series director Katsuya Eguchi spoke his mind regarding the Animal Crossing franchise as a whole, as well as the limitations (and innovations) that result when moving a franchise from the console hardware over to handheld.

The majority of the lecture dealt with the necessary changes in Animal Crossing 64 (and Cube), as well as the obvious additions that resulted in a hardware change. However, during Eguchi's conclusion the director had a few worlds on the upcoming challenge of bringing the Wi-Fi enabled DS version over to Revolution. While no major information was announced, the Nintendo philosophy is shown once again in action. Eguchi had the following to say:

"Much like the conversion from the console Animal Crossing onto DS, we are now exploring how to bring what we have developed in Wild World onto Revolution. This time it is about bringing the world we've set up on DS over to the console world of the Revolution."

The majority of Eguchi's lecture was about the focus on delivering the right software for the hardware, illustrating how popular games such as Nintendogs, Metroid Prime Hunters, Animal Crossing and Brain Training used the many aspects of DS each in their own way. The Revolution quote may not be much, but it is a look into the philosophy of design.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/698/698019p1.html

----
GDC 06: Rev Controller Does Webslinging
Sources: Nintendo's new generation console to host a ground-up version of Spider-Man 3.
by Matt Casamassina

March 23, 2006 - IGN Revolution has learned that Activision will publish a version of Spider-Man 3 built specifically for Nintendo's next generation console, still codenamed Revolution. The game will make use of the system's innovative new controller to manipulate Spidey through the virtual universe. Specific details in this regard were not provided, but IGN speculates that the freestyle unit could be utilized to aim and cast webs, which would in turn accurately guide the hero about the city environments he explores.

Activision has formally announced that it is planning to have at least one Revolution title ready during the first four months of the system's launch. However, IGN believes that the publisher's launch game is unrelated to the Spider-Man franchise.

Further details about this project, and others, are expected to be made known at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2006, which kicks off this May in Los Angeles.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/698/698014p1.html

Lol swinging with the Revmote! :lol

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
You all realize this not a mini-e3 but a game developers conference right? the post by keithfranklin reminded me that XNA while not sexy or interesting to us, is actually far more important in the context of a GDC than a new zelda. The interesting part of the new zelda is the control scheme on the DS and demonstrating something like is relevant to the GDC.

So in the context of GDC, its hard to see how MS was resting on their laurels. If you wanted a mini-e3 then of course its dissapointing. However, i really hope thats not what the GDC continues to turn into.

CamHostage

GashPrex said:
You all realize this not a mini-e3 but a game developers conference right? the post by keithfranklin reminded me that XNA while not sexy or interesting to us, is actually far more important in the context of a GDC than a new zelda. The interesting part of the new zelda is the control scheme on the DS and demonstrating something like is relevant to the GDC.

So in the context of GDC, its hard to see how MS was resting on their laurels. If you wanted a mini-e3 then of course its dissapointing. However, i really hope thats not what the GDC continues to turn into.

Hear hear!! :D

black_13

Banned
Need pics of the actual real time videos that were shown of Ratchet and Clank, Warhawk and Resistance.

I read on the GA front page that they all looked like PS2 calibur games and then I go in this thread/gamespot/IGN where they were described as impressive.

Come on!!! Let's see at least a couple of cell phone shots.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
black_13 said:
I read on the GA front page that they all looked like PS2 calibur games and then I go in this thread/gamespot/IGN where they were described as impressive.

:lol

You hear this TekunoRobby! YOU HEAR THIS?!?

Mrbob

GashPrex said:

Indeed.

XNA is the true bombzeldroppaton. I'm reading up on it and watching videos from KeithFranklin's link. No wonder game publishers and developers want to work with MS. They seem to be going above and beyond what Nintendo and Sony wish to accomplish with developer support. Yeah X360 may be harder to develop for than Rev, but MS is making up this difference with unparallelled developer support to make things easier.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I still haven't met any of you guys in person who are there (see other thread). Its been a busy two days, and I've not done half the stuff I was planning to due to last second changes that occured.

Tommorow should be more relaxing, and hopefully that'll give a good opportunity for a big meetup of GAFers down there (again, see other thread).

Oh well, Zelda DS is cool, and I'm happy with my new free Brain Training game :D

rastex

Banned
GashPrex said:

Exactly. This is all becoming quite ridiculous in fact. Journalists are hijacking GDC because fans are absolutely starved and raving for information. I hope this kind of ridiculous attention to GDC is because of the launches of PS3 and GC and subsequent years can be more useful for the actual developers.

Keynotes are supposed to be inspirational and motivational speaches for the industry, not self serving platforms for self-promotion. That goes for MS last year too.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Mrbob said:
Indeed.

XNA is the true bombzeldroppaton. I'm reading up on it and watching videos from KeithFranklin's link. No wonder game publishers and developers want to work with MS. They seem to be going above and beyond what Nintendo and Sony wish to accomplish with developer support. Yeah X360 may be harder to develop for than Rev, but MS is making up this difference with unparallelled developer support to make things easier.

funny thing is that XNA will support the PS3 and the rev

In the code, Savage is hoping XNA will allow you to enter variables into an Xbox 360 template and a Windows template. XNA will then spit out platform-specific code, and Savage went on to say the XNA will also be compatible with PS3 and Revolution.

"XNA is about making game development better," Savage said. "If XNA doesn't help to build Nintendo or Playstation games, then you're probably not going to be interested."

Though I am sure they will be providing some special tools and apps just for the 360

Mrbob

GashPrex said:
funny thing is that XNA will support the PS3 and the rev

Though I am sure they will be providing some special tools and apps just for the 360

Yup, that is what makes it so awesome. MS thinking about the entire industry. If this allows bigger and better X360 games I'm all for it. :D

Kicko said:
I am absolutely shocked that Nintendo made no mention of Zelda: TP. Can't believe they didn't bother to show anything. This makes me believe that the title has been shifted over to the Revolution, and thats a good thing IMO. Nintendo will have a killer ap coming right out of the gate.

Within the past two weeks we've had confirmation that it's still a GameCube game, but one that can make use of the Revolution controller.

Kicko said:

No DS Lite either. :(

Deku

Banned
E3. Seems like Nintendo strategically made some announcements and left out others. They probably have a lot to show on E3 and can't do them all at once. It's rare for them to make major announcements at GDC, but they seemed to have turned Iwata's keynote into a pre-pre E3 conference.

ziran

Overall, I thought the conference was interesting with the highlight being the Zelda Phantom Hourglass video.

I think the overall lacking presence of Revolution news at GDC will only setup the inevitable overload of hype going into E3.

We know nothing on Revolution. If it delivers on the slightest of expectations, fans worldwide will explode.

AndoCalrissian said:
No DS Lite either. :(

It was all over their booth. Who cares about no announcement for retail, it'll happen soon enough and people 'know' it's coming.

+Aliken+

rastex said:
Exactly. This is all becoming quite ridiculous in fact. Journalists are hijacking GDC because fans are absolutely starved and raving for information. I hope this kind of ridiculous attention to GDC is because of the launches of PS3 and GC and subsequent years can be more useful for the actual developers.

Keynotes are supposed to be inspirational and motivational speaches for the industry, not self serving platforms for self-promotion. That goes for MS last year too.

Finally someone has said it!

Thank you.

Top Bottom