• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part II)

GG-Duo

Not sure if this was posted already, but Iwata's keynote transcript is up on Kotaku, and it's actually a pretty fun read.

No romance novels! No paperbacks!

GG-Duo said:
Not sure if this was posted already, but Iwata's keynote transcript is up on Kotaku, and it's actually a pretty fun read.

Thanks for mentioning that.

I just read the entire thing, and definitely enjoyed it.

Iwata completely "gets it". I'm also glad that Retro Studios' input was in the development and conception of the controller.

mr_nothin

Banned
Doube D said:
so still not ONE pic of the ps3 demos (besides the fishes, ducks, and UE3)? eh, this is some buuullll shiiiit

So nobody has posted these YET?!

42c19cb5.jpg

48a2706e.jpg
(not heavenly sword...this and HS were 2 diff demos)
175d005d.jpg

b795e3a5.jpg

4162f23a.jpg

691ab03e.jpg

BigBoss

mr_nothin said:

42c19cb5.jpg

48a2706e.jpg
175d005d.jpg

b795e3a5.jpg

4162f23a.jpg

691ab03e.jpg

I think those were already posted, next time they should try to get even smaller pictures.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
mr_nothin said:

42c19cb5.jpg

48a2706e.jpg
175d005d.jpg

b795e3a5.jpg

4162f23a.jpg

691ab03e.jpg
Last thread. This thread was more a clearance for the Nintendo conference.

Wunderchu

TekunoRobby said:
David Jaffe called out the Gaming-Age forum near the end of his session which was fucking hysterical. It was pretty funny to meet up with him afterwards and we had a good chat.
hehe .. nice

GashPrex said:
You all realize this not a mini-e3 but a game developers conference right? the post by keithfranklin reminded me that XNA while not sexy or interesting to us, is actually far more important in the context of a GDC than a new zelda. The interesting part of the new zelda is the control scheme on the DS and demonstrating something like is relevant to the GDC.

So in the context of GDC, its hard to see how MS was resting on their laurels. If you wanted a mini-e3 then of course its dissapointing. However, i really hope thats not what the GDC continues to turn into.
well said, IMO .. I agree

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shaheed79 said:
Ok where is this new Heavenly Sword video? I must see it!

There's no video, Sony was strict about cameras at the conference, unfortunately.

Harrison characterised the video as game production code and assets..it was not quite HS the game, obviously, but not quite a tech demo either.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
phantomile co. said:
how long do you guys think til Nintendo puts GameBoy on Revolution?
this is what i've being wondering. as soon as they announced that rev would play NES, SNES, N64 (and now genesis etc.) i immediately thought, "umm... what about GB, GBC and GBA games???"

seems like the logical thing to do given what they've announced already.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
GG-Duo said:

read and enjoy it a lot, good keynote.

I lol'd when he started talking about a company that was number one in the 80's and then in the 90's it was pushed back to number 2 by a bigger brand and a company with more budget (like he was alluding to the nintendo/sony situation) and then said the company he is referring to is... Pepsi haha nice.

Ceb

RaijinFY said:
The picture with the car is supposed to be from a game in development? A idea maybe? About the game of course... :D

Yes, it's supposed to be the same game as the one the E3 Gas station demo was based on.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Raw64life said:
Also, I think it's interesting to note how all the DS stuff was still being shown on the regular DS (even the Zelda DS footage).

DSC02151.JPG

Plus, DS Lites were out on the floor as well. That's why I was saying it was confusing that they didn't announce a North American price point or release date.

Marlowe

Plus, DS Lites were out on the floor as well. That's why I was saying it was confusing that they didn't announce a North American price point or release date.

Yeah -- that's my biggest disappointment so far -- I want to pre-order!

jarrod

Banned
They should launch Lite alongside Mario this May imo. They'll need to go for $129.99 too I think with PSP's $199.99 Core pack breathing down their necks... which could mean a price drop to $99.99 for the original DS. :)

Taker666

jarrod said:
They should launch Lite alongside Mario this May imo. They'll need to go for $129.99 too I think with PSP's $199.99 Core pack breathing down their necks... which could mean a price drop to $99.99 for the original DS. :)

Personally I think it's more likely they will launch at $149 and keep the standard DS at $129. Then they will drop the DS Lite to $129 at Thanksgiving and the old DS will drop to $99 to clear stock.

That way they get extra revenue from the early adopters and make more impact with a price drop during the holiday season.

+Aliken+

human5892 said:
DSC02151.JPG

why would they it isn't a media event but a developers conference?

human5892 said:
DSC02151.JPG

The only reason I can think of them holding off is they're going to wait a bit and let most of the current DS's clear off shelves for a bit, since once the Lite comes out the demand for the original will decrease. If you use this reason then it explains why it's out in Japan already.

Chiggs

Sony stuff/Impressions from someone in attendance:

Wow, I love GDC. This was my first year, and there is nothing better in this world than getting shit from guys that work at Sony that are tanked off their ass at parties where they're just glad to be done demoing for the day and getting free food. It's the anti-E3, where nobody's guarded and drunk guys standing right next to their bosses in a circle will say shit like "no I don't give a fuck if you talk about this, it'll be on some gaming blog site tomorrow anyway!" and everyone just has a good laugh.

Of course free booze has the power to twist one's take on reality. Apparently I was telling people I was from Vancouver and was hardcore Canadian. I think I did an interview, and I'm almost positive I agreed to speak at some college. Whoops.

So, fun stuff I overheard at the show, PS3-wise (it came from the lips of real people, but they were also real drunk so I desperately want half of this to be true -- and some already has been confirmed, hence why I'm repeating it):

-Region free deliciousness, but it goes beyond the games. This was indeed done to help them move systems around on a bi-monthly basis to the places where they see stupid high sell-through (like SF) as opposed to Bumfuck, Iowa without having to change a goddamn thing if units have to be moved en masse somewhere worldwide. Supposedly you'll just drill through a bunch of menus when you first boot up your system to determine region and what kind of TV setup you have. An auto-detect will let the system guess from the start, but you can fine-tune things to your exact setup, including up/downconversion and so on. My "uhhhhh, but what about people with really old TVs? And that plus the UK?" was met with laughter and then I think someone made me do a shot. Well played, fancy pants...

-The HDD is so stupid crucial to the business, that they reversed their decision to leave the bay there for future upgrades and just include it because of the desire to get into the fucking "casual games market" buzzphrase that was almost as overused as inappropriate as "procedural". When Geo Wars went nuclear on XBL, and (obviously) guys from Sony played it, they suddenly "got" that fostering growth here is important. This is vitally important because (and this is VERY well known in the halls of at least Foster City dev groups) MS opened up Live and are pushing XNA like CRAZY to get people to develop stuff in C++ or what have you and port it seamlessly to the XBL Arcade to become a pay-for-download.

-"Work fucking sucks, but I'm supposed to say things are 'good... you know....' and leave it at that." A (I hope) high producer talking about working on dealing with CELL stuff. About half a dozen programmers I talked to that had jobs and literally EVERY other one that was trying to get one said that job postings right now are listing CELL experience as a requirement for some positions. Final dev kits don't go out for another couple months and they want people with experience in making a game on them? Wow.

-The tech demos (and the keynote, which I'll get to in a bit) were lame (to be honest), but that fact that you as an attendee could actually pick up a DualShock 2 and influence shit that was running on a PS3 in some form make the Sony spaz in me wig out.

-NOBODY (someone screamed this at me with the kind of anger only alcohol gives you) knows the price, nor the final design of the controller yet. Apparently the latter is something that isn't going to change much and the former will be "literally decided before or the day of E3." And it might still change. Uh, rad.

-----

The Keynote.

I know this is turning into a novel, but I want to get all this out before I go to bed, and rather than doing it on my own goddamn site, I love you guys more and do it here.

I was really, honestly, deeply unimpressed. It wasn't that there wasn't stuff announced or said that was interesting. e-Distro? Fucking rad, you need do it and Sony sees that on both PSP and PS3. Fucking rawk. Making it stupid obvious that 50 gigs is a good fucking idea for a storage medium? THANK YOU. I love that there are still people that somehow think it's a bad thing to be able to put more on a disc. Blah blah spin-tastic PowerPoint slides? Snoooooooore. Oh, and yes, if you forgot, the PSP is doing awesome, despite what anyone says. Public awareness and price point? Naaaah, man, fuck that shit.

Tech demos? Completely unexpected and yet still mostly underwhelming. I know this isn't an event for the press. If it was, we would have had booze IVs in our arms like 45 minutes before the show started. Still, you've read up about stuff, and I figure more perspectives aren't a bad thing, so I'll go game by game, with personal, no-BS stuff from a guy who's HAPPY to say he's a PlayStation fanboy.

-Heavenly Sword: I love me some ragdoll, and I enjoy watching bodies fly around, but I honestly hope I wasn't the only guy that thought that's the kind of stuff you SHOULD see in a next-gen system, physics-wise. Dropping a thousand or so guys into a scene and then dropping physics bombs around to make them go flying with awesome screams to match? Sweet, but not something that sold me on the PS3

-Microtransaction implementation: The skinned menus for buying stuff are rad, if only because it means the tools are there to keep it in-game and fiarly seamless. The SingStar-style interface for downloadable stuff done by the UK design guys? Pure ocular sex, and I only wish we had licensed tracks for music games -- particularly the ones where you sing.

-MotorStorm: Creating real, physics-based grooves and deformable terrain = yum. Particles that are no more than fattened brown blobs? Bad idea. I like how they translate directly into high-res bump- or normal-mapped textures (yes, I'm too stupid to know which is better or what I saw) when they're thrown on flat surfaces, it looked great, and I like how as the mud dries, it affects the suspension on cars on a per-wheel basis. Again, though, I feel these things are expected.

-WarHawk: FUCKING HOT SHIT. This game is going to be awesome, and not just because the water is both sexy as hell (I particularly enjoyed the random whitecaps and foam on random procedural (!) waves), but because the scale of the fights will really feel next-gen -- especially when we have terrain in there too.

-Resistance: The visuals were on par with what you'd expect from a fairly militaristic, urban FPS. Nothing too impressive, but then this is Insomniac, and the one area where the game will be cool -- weapons -- was represented here very, very nicely. I think most tend to tune out aliens in an FPS, but they did look and react well to things -- though there were only a few variants.

-Ratchet: RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD. The fact that they made it a really nice, slow build through a corridor of turning gears into something that you think is just going to be a basic high-res, high-geometry version of the Ratchet games and then zooms down in an homage to The Fifth Element means I just love it that much more. Nice, even use of HDR lights and tons of geometry mean the engine -- and I hope this is tech being shared with the guys at Naughty Dog again -- is already very, very sound and Ted Price made it clear they were just getting to know how to use the SPEs.

-The Sony Network Platform Interface: The OBVIOUS work-in-progress overlays that made it clear Sony was going to work the whole video/audio live chat was a nice touch, but they need the guys that did the SingStar promo to rock the interface for everything else. God, it was like XP MCE given the Sony design touch, and it was great.

I do realize this wasn't meant to be a show for the press, though it became that because of the lack of info, and they handled it well, but still, E3 has and will continue to be the showcase for the system, and I'm just praying the 12 months of time between shows will mean we see some really cool, real-time demos of games that have people talking about things as much in a month and a half as they did a year ago -- and for the right reasons.

This was originally posted over at Something Awful.

Doom_Bringer said:
UT2007 looks good in that video. The Epic dude says that it was made in one week and is not using the SPU's yet ~_~

The 1up video was dumb

Yep, it looks nice, but I don't understand the short ass videos IGN insist on uploading. What the fuck is the point? It's over before you get a decent look at the game - surely somebody out there must have recorded a decent length of a clip in good quality? :lol

teiresias

-Ratchet: RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD. The fact that they made it a really nice, slow build through a corridor of turning gears into something that you think is just going to be a basic high-res, high-geometry version of the Ratchet games and then zooms down in an homage to The Fifth Element means I just love it that much more. Nice, even use of HDR lights and tons of geometry mean the engine -- and I hope this is tech being shared with the guys at Naughty Dog again -- is already very, very sound and Ted Price made it clear they were just getting to know how to use the SPEs.

Someone has something backwards. Wasn't the R&C engine just the Jak engine borrowed from Naughty Dog - obviously with some changes, but still.

teiresias said:
Someone has something backwards. Wasn't the R&C engine just the Jak engine borrowed from Naughty Dog - obviously with some changes, but still.

Yah it was the Jak engine. They're suppose to be creating a ICE engine along with ND and Sony Santa Monica for the PS3.

teiresias said:

NM, I read that incorrectly. Yeah, so the ICE engine...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
DS Lite production problems probably mean the US/EU releases are up in the air/postponed. That's why no announcement.

And I think Lair has been saved for E3, as a tech-demo extravaganza.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MotorStorm: Creating real, physics-based grooves and deformable terrain = yum. Particles that are no more than fattened brown blobs? Bad idea. I like how they translate directly into high-res bump- or normal-mapped textures (yes, I'm too stupid to know which is better or what I saw) when they're thrown on flat surfaces, it looked great, and I like how as the mud dries, it affects the suspension on cars on a per-wheel basis. Again, though, I feel these things are expected.

They are? :lol
That was actually the most unexpected feature I've come across these days.

TTP said:

Exactly. An "expected" feature that has never appeared in any other racing game to date. These PS3 impressions are all over the map.

Somehow I don't think there will be any consistency to these observations until TGS.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:

Bring someone the moon and they want the stars..

The impressions overall were nice though. But certain "expected" things on his part will be far from standard, unfortunately :(

Also was a shame that Lair wasn't shown. It'd probably have been the most sophisticated thing on show if they had (well..maybe bar R&C, but others who saw that first hand might be better placed to judge).

The reason a ds lite price/release date announcement werent made is because its a game developer's conference, meaning all panels, keynotes, and discussions for the most part are going to be concentrated on game development techniques. Zelda was shown because it was showing off intuitive touch screen use, and the virtual console announcements was more of a wake up call to up and coming young developers who may want to distribute simple revmote games through the virtual console service.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MassiveAttack said:
Somehow I don't think there will any consistency to these observations until TGS.

Why not E3? Has it been postponed too? ;)

Man I wish I was there (at GDC) to come up with my own impressions about those demostrations.
Oh, well, at least I'm about to see BioShock in a couple fo days :p

Top Bottom