• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part I)

Ark-AMN

Banned
sure it looks good, but is it as intuitive as UE3?

UE3 is pretty damn intuitive and easy to use from what I was shown. Unless Crysis can meet that standard, their engine won't be used that much.

A lot of people at the GDC were talking about the costs of art and rising costs due to efficiecy issues and bad planning. UE3 is definately the kind of "middleware" that devs need to cut down time and keep costs low.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just for reference, the LOD demo seems to be running at 49fps. The fishes one at 29fps. At least those are the numbers I can (barely) see in the upper right corner.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Contemplating on waking up at around 5ish in the morning for Iwata's silly conference but I don't want to get burnt out.

Raistlin

Insertia said:
:O
No game compares.

I'd love to see Bungie try to top that with Halo 3. Graphics whores dream come true.
This probably won't be out until 2009 though.

Halo 3 or Crysis? At the end of the demo for Crysis, it says "play it at E3".

If it's playable then, I can't imagine the game release would stretch beyond 2007.

Raistlin

speedpop said:
Contemplating on waking up at around 5ish in the morning for Iwata's silly conference but I don't want to get burnt out.

I'm getting up early for work tomorrow so I can witness the chaos.

MEGASSSSPPPPANNNNUDDDDDTON!!11!!!!!

Draft

Ark-AMN said:
sure it looks good, but is it as intuitive as UE3?

UE3 is pretty damn intuitive and easy to use from what I was shown. Unless Crysis can meet that standard, their engine won't be used that much.

A lot of people at the GDC were talking about the costs of art and rising costs due to efficiecy issues and bad planning. UE3 is definately the kind of "middleware" that devs need to cut down time and keep costs low.
I can almost guarantee that UE3 will be the premier licensed 3D engine, because like you said, it's so damn easy to use. Cryengine 2 is definitely more impressive (from those two clips, at least,) but I doubt very much it has any chance of dethroning UE3 as the king of licenses.

Raistlin

Even if it isn't licensed much ... EA has enough dev teams and IPs/licenses, that it still might get plenty of usage.

us FTW!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
speedpop said:

Speedpop if I am waking up at 2:30am surely you can wake up at 5 :lol :lol

Calidor

all 7 SPU's working on physics?

rofflelmao.gif

:lol

Bebpo

Banned
Just read the daily summary and PS3 GAMES WILL BE REGION-FREE OMFG WHAT YES

BEST CONSOLE EVER

...because it just saved me $1000 :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Bebpo said:
Just read the daily summary and PS3 GAMES WILL BE REGION-FREE OMFG WHAT YES

BEST CONSOLE EVER

...because it just saved me $1000 :p
The really cool part is that the idea of a singular global SKU would mean global launches for everything! No more waiting and hopefully we can pick and choose what language to play the game in.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
speedpop said:
You've talked me into it Vook. It's time for a late night! 4:30am here I come.

Im actually going to bed and then waking up and then sleeping again, :lol :lol

Why on a work night Iwata!

Bebpo

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
The really cool part is that the idea of a singular global SKU would mean global launches for everything! No more waiting and hopefully we can pick and choose what language to play the game in.

Yeah, that should work for non-rpg stuff where there isn't that much localization work needed. I don't see them doing global releases for rpgs though ^^;

Raistlin

Calidor said:
all 7 SPU's working on physics?

rofflelmao.gif

:lol

I noticed that in the demo as well.

The problem appears to be that none of the gun effects are really calculated in 3D. Did you notice the explosions from the big gun? They were obviously 2D :/

sorryaboutdresden said:
Dresden is a city in Germany that was fire bombed by the united states during World War 2. What made it so devastating was that their was absolutely nothing of military value in the city, and the fire bombs practically created hell on earth there. Everything was destroyed.

As much as I'd like the US to take all of the responsibility for this War Crime. The bombing of Dresden is a crime all of the Allies were party too.

The Yalta conference headed by Franklin D. Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, and Joseph Stalin authorised the target selection. The Combined Strategic Targets Committee, SHAEF (Air), informed the USAAF and the RAF Bomber commands that Dresden was among the targets selected to degrade German lines of communication. Their authority to do this came directly from the Western Allies' Combined Chiefs of Staff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II

RAF & USAAF carried out the orders. On the 13th February 1945, 796 RAF Avro Lancasters bombed Dresden. During the next two days the USAAF sent over 317 B-17 bombers to follow up the RAF attack. Dresden was nearly totally destroyed. As a result of the firestorm it was afterwards impossible to count the number of victims. Recent research suggest that 35,000 were killed but some German sources have argued that it was over 100,000.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Was this posted yet? Seems someone managed to sneak in some shots. Shame they're so tiny.

ttp://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0603/23/news077.html

Yep Gofreak posted it earlier (Its probably in the Part II of this thread). I can't wait to get bigger screenshots

Top Bottom