• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew: Motorfest |OT| Aloha, Horizon

R6Rider

Gold Member
How does that work? Never played the other 2.
Upgrades are split into categories (engine, wheels, brakes, etc.) and are treated like tiered loot almost like a looter shooter or Diablo.

You have common through legendary/whatever it's called in the game and each part is assigned a number score.

Basically you'll be slapping numbered boxes onto your car for upgrades as opposed to specific upgrades like in Gran Turismo for example.

Here is a picture from The Crew 2:
the-crew-2-release-gear-1.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Upgrades are split into categories (engine, wheels, brakes, etc.) and are treated like tiered loot almost like a looter shooter or Diablo.

You have common through legendary/whatever it's called in the game and each part is assigned a number score.

Basically you'll be slapping numbered boxes onto your car for upgrades as opposed to specific upgrades like in Gran Turismo for example.

Here is a picture from The Crew 2:
the-crew-2-release-gear-1.jpg
Ah, so very similar to Wreckfest.

Denton

Interesting, mind sharing your spec? im on 4090 with a 5800x cpu, maybe time to go AM5
3080Ti, 5800X3D, 16GB, Evo 970
Playing at 2880x1620p on ultra preset
Uses the Dunia engine that has been heavily modified by Ivory Tower's internal tools. Dunia was based off the CryEngine.
hmm I found this

I suspect there is pretty much nothing leftover there from cryengine or even dunia

Gambit2483

OK, I played the intro section + some free drive + 1 proper race. Quick impressions:

• Graphics are okay but they are last gen okay. I've maxed out it on PC (for some reason framerate is capped at 60, that's stupid) and it looks like Forza Horizon 3.5.
  • Visual diarrhea is everywhere. Island you're on is full of floating balloons, there's confetti and smoke when you race and it's just such a bad art design/style, very unpleasant to look at. Horizon did it the right amount and much, much better.
  • Characters look atrocious, as expected.
  • Dialogue and voice acting is headache educing. Do yourself a favor and turn off voice in audio settings.
  • Car handling - pretty decent. It's not Forza but if your point of reference is The Crew 2 you'll be blown away.
  • User interface is garbage. You can switch some of it off but not all and there's no option to scale it. Fucking speedometer and map is taking 1/2 of the screen.
  • Hardest difficulty setting with all assist off seems to be not so hard, I easily finished first in my first American Muscle race.
Thanks for this. Confirms it will be a great Black Friday pickup

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Two things to say about that, it doesn't look any better than say NFS Unbound or Forza Horizon 5 which both run at 60fps on the SS. And also the beta of this game did run at 60fps.

Looks like something for fucked up in retail, if the beta ran at a smooth 60 but the final didn't.

Nothing a patch or two won't be able to fix I imagine.

Thanks for this. Confirms it will be a great Black Friday pickup

I also wanted to but forgot to write about the fucking mini map being huge and there being no way to adjust its size. You can disable it at least.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I want to like this since I'm a bit tired of the Forza Horizon formula even if I love those games. This obviously is very similar though. I guess the clue is in the title but it seems like they also managed to copy the worst part of Horizon, the whole hip young car party part with cringey dialogue.

I tried it out on uPlay and it seemed pretty good, except for the fact that it's a racing game locked to max 60 fps, at least I couldn't remove it. How is this possible on PC in 2023? I would never pay for this before they remove that.
It is such a blatant rip off I would be surprised if Playground wouldn't be able to sue. Does a surprisingly good job of aping Horizon though bit without the polish or the passion. Had to laugh at the 'pro' mode when an F1 car honked its horn at me.

SkylineRKR

This is decent but I can't help to feel its a bit soulless and its just missing that extra polish Playground manages to put into FH. There is also no damage models it seems. This doesn't matter for me unless its a Rally game but FH did have it?

The physics are rather terrible, the controls are a tad worse than FH too.

Its overall kind of a poor man's Forza. I think its decent if you only have a PS5 and craving something similar to FH5. Its just not as good.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Two things to say about that, it doesn't look any better than say NFS Unbound or Forza Horizon 5 which both run at 60fps on the SS. And also the beta of this game did run at 60fps.
Well, NFS Unbound looks like dog piss so it's not really that mind blowing. I feel like Forza games have an extremely well optimised engine, though, so maybe that their advantage, plus it's Microsoft's first-party game so obviously they're gonna put more effort to make sure it's running well on their own hardware.

In any case, The Crew is running smooth as a butter on next generation consoles so that's what the developers probably prioritised as a next-gen game. IMO it looks better than Forza in a lot of ways.

Elysium44

Banned
Well, NFS Unbound looks like dog piss so it's not really that mind blowing. I feel like Forza games have an extremely well optimised engine, though, so maybe that their advantage, plus it's Microsoft's first-party game so obviously they're gonna put more effort to make sure it's running well on their own hardware.

In any case, The Crew is running smooth as a butter on next generation consoles so that's what the developers probably prioritised as a next-gen game. IMO it looks better than Forza in a lot of ways.

Today I learned Series S isn't a next generation console I guess? (According to you.)

No need to make excuses for this game running like shite on the SS compared to Unbound and Forza, Ubisoft should have done better. Perhaps they will patch it and turn some graphics settings down to make it run like the beta did.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Played a bit of this and Ubisoft just can't help themselves what with the awful and incessant writing, can they? It's just so, so bad. It wouldn't have been so egregious if it weren't for the childish tone they've chosen to go with. I feel like I'm constantly being talked down to lol.

Also everything outside of the actual racing is typical Ubi-jank. The visuals overall are nice but the character animation (both body and facial) are once again a supremely last-gen effort. I can't wait for Ubi to finally catch up to the rest of the industry (not looking at Bethesda though) when it comes to this type of thing. The characters look like ass.

Speaking of ass: the soundtrack. My gosh is that ever a milquetoast affair. It feels like they both went with a Gen Z approach and a royalty free one. Just inoffensive noise that doesn't do anything to get the blood flowing. About as exciting as one of those songs they play during a sizzle real at the end of an E3 press presentation.

Outside of all that stuff the driving itself is actually really nice though. There's distinct handling models for each vehicle type that's instantly noticeable (in a good way) and it seems there's an incredibly varied set of events to play. I will say though, from my brief time with the game, I couldn't care less for the free roaming aspects of it all. I'd rather they would just let you skip to all of the races themselves instead of having to drive to them while listening to an obnoxious "AI" and to try to distinguish between actual traffic and other players that phase through you.

A resounding "OK" but considering I still have plenty of other racing games to play I'm going to give this a pass.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
This game is a lesson in frustration. It does a bunch of things right, - for example the map, which is fantastic compared to Horizon in terms of the way the game zooms out from your car into this 3D map. Very cool. Then the map itself is messy (not cool).
Right?!

Really neat map gimmick ruined by poor UI and visibility. A shame but nothing that can't be fixed with a few updates I imagine.

I run a top of the line 4090 PC, and the game runs at 60fps max, which is sad. It's also a bit... blurry, since you can't turn off the AA fully which is definitely softening the image. Handling-wise this can't touch Forza, which is part of the issue, and the other is that it's just... not that interesting?

It's a shame. It's clear the developers set out to ape Forza Horizon, and they kinda/sorta did, but then... what's the point when Horizon is so much better?

The 60fps thing is disappointing but I assume that's to level the playing field? That or their engine is just awful and breaks apart as soon as it's uncapped (bizarre if that's the case).

And glad I'm not the only one who noticed the blurry image. I tried to fiddle with the AA but to no avail. Game needs some sharpening options, stat.

Downloaded the trial and this is like the Wish.com Forza Horizon.
I'm glad its not just me. Honestly, Microsoft should consider suing ubisoft for this blatant rip off. There's a distinct lack of craftmanship and attention to detail in this game.
This game is a lesson in frustration. It does a bunch of things right, - for example the map, which is fantastic compared to Horizon in terms of the way the game zooms out from your car into this 3D map. Very cool. Then the map itself is messy (not cool).

I run a top of the line 4090 PC, and the game runs at 60fps max, which is sad. It's also a bit... blurry, since you can't turn off the AA fully which is definitely softening the image. Handling-wise this can't touch Forza, which is part of the issue, and the other is that it's just... not that interesting?

It's a shame. It's clear the developers set out to ape Forza Horizon, and they kinda/sorta did, but then... what's the point when Horizon is so much better?
Forza Horizon is an xbox exclusive. There's no equivalent on PS5 so it's blue ocean space for ubisoft. They're trying to cash in on the bigger market. With this effort, I'm not sure if they'll succeed but if they due, I'm sure Playground games and co will be pissed. That's a lot of money left on the table by them for Ubisoft to chomp up....

Last edited:

Denton

And glad I'm not the only one who noticed the blurry image. I tried to fiddle with the AA but to no avail. Game needs some sharpening options, stat.
DLDSR, I play in 1620p downscaled to my 1080p plasma and image is just perfect. Sharp, stable, completely aliasing-free.

But of course if you play on 4K display, you would have to downsample from something higher than that, and I doubt there is hardware capable of it at 60fps.

DLSS, DLAA, Framegen..all missing of course.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Playing the trial right now.

Cool that you can import vehicles form 2 (I was able to import 28).

Cars handle pretty good, and the handling between vehicle types is good. Haven't used boats yet, but airplanes handle like garbage compared to The Crew 2.

Nice music too.

channie

Playing the 5hr trial too. I found the UI very lacking compared to Horizon. Lots of noisy outlines around the icons it feels unpolished. Map feels more varied and populated (gas stations??) than H5 though.

lem0n

For someone who played TC2 there's FAR too many recycled cars featured. That's what makes it feel like a glorified expansion rather than a fresh new game. Will pick up once it reaches Steam and when it's on discount.

Fox Mulder

It is such a blatant rip off I would be surprised if Playground wouldn't be able to sue. Does a surprisingly good job of aping Horizon though bit without the polish or the passion. Had to laugh at the 'pro' mode when an F1 car honked its horn at me.

And Forza Horizon copied Test Drive Unlimited with a bigger budget.

This is a total copy of Forza Horizon, but that game is so successful that this just is what the open world racing genre is now. NFS isn’t doing shit, maybe they’ll have a festival next time too.

hlm666

Can't turn the wheel off like proper sims but you can't in FH either. I know people into sims with highend rigs are not the target audience but it can't be a huge thing to add in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Today I learned Series S isn't a next generation console I guess? (According to you.)

No need to make excuses for this game running like shite on the SS compared to Unbound and Forza, Ubisoft should have done better. Perhaps they will patch it and turn some graphics settings down to make it run like the beta did.
It's a budget model with slower hardware. Complaining that it doesn't run games as well as its beefier counterparts is like playing games on PS4 and complaining that they don't look and perform as well as on PS5.

At least be glad that you get to play some of those games at all because you don't always get that luxury if you're a PS4 owner.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Tried the demo, definately a huge forza rip off. Graphics and control seem pretty decent though, if you can get past the cheesy story/announcers it's probably a solid 8 or 8.5. Still knowing ubisoft, I'd wait 3 months and get it for $20. But that's just me.

SammyNerve

Neo Member
Playing on PC, is there a Windows or in game setting that will allow me to change the resolution? It's always set to match what I have in Win 10.

scalman

this game just .... wow .. those trial 5 hrs went just like nothing . .and the handlind model... wow at last they did it ... forza horizon have nothing on this .. i mean all cars feels just natural in corners and out.. and drift .. i mean i couldd never did drift in any games with controller or i never enjoyed it it was like pain to do .. and here.. on first drift chalenge i almost beated the record not just needed score... and i enjoyed it ... but its from 3rd person camera then .. again with simple old ps3 controller that has just minor vibrations .. cant imagine how much better it would be with ps5 controller if game support all feedbacks to it then ... i mean i dont wanna touch horizon 5 anymore... will wait for this and buy it ..
oh hand runs ok on old gtx 1060 6gb laptop . means on medium but looks good and detailed. its not about rly howw cars detailed thought they look amazing its how car feels .. and specially for me how those older street cars feels who are like less then 300 hp there.. and they feel great... other games just make those less powerfull cars just feels dull and boring to drive as they just stick to road and nothing happens...
and then traction on road.. moment your side of car touches gravel on side your handling gone and car looses control .. so you better dont go off road .. again not like horizon 5 kinda where you just dont care and no need much braking too in H5 just release gas pedal .. corner done.. again boring...
i couldnt play crew 1,2 because off that handling .. and when i tried this ... wow ... boy i wanna that ps5 controller on pc if its support all goods on it ... it would be amazing...
so for sure Horizon 5 move aside . in terms of handling and fun and feel of car ...

Last edited:

TheMan

What can I say I’m digging it after a couple of hours in the trial. FH perfected the arcadey yet somewhat based in reality physics and this game comes pretty close to that. Yes it borrows very heavily from FH but I’ll probably buy the full game later today

Kindjal

I thought the same thing!
Graphics are decent, but the handling is terrible, and the whole "festival" vibe is like a cheap version of Forza Horizon.
Played for a couple of hours and then deleted right away.

sendit

Graphics are decent, but the handling is terrible, and the whole "festival" vibe is like a cheap version of Forza Horizon.
Great setting ruined by festival vibes. The unfinished mirror reflections in cockpit view makes that option unusable.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Can someone tell me where to start the off road playlist? I just did an offroad race in my American muscle playlist and it reminded me of motorstorm pacific rift. But i can’t find the playlist on the map.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah I unlocked planes and boats but it added surprisingly little. Then I booted up FH5 just to compare as I haven't played in awhile and it is significantly better in pretty much every way.

nemiroff

Gold Member
My god this game is such an unfinished shameless lifeless mess of a wannabe FH clone. Also, the handling kinda weirds me out (feels like it's somewhere between NFS and FH, IDK..).

Anyway, I'm not being all negative, there's definitely fun to be had here. It has some nice playlists, and the cars sound great.

Last edited:
This.

They also somehow took the cringe that Horizon already had in FH5 to a whole new level. I only lasted about an hour before I gave up on this unfortunately. Was sort of excited for a new Horizon style game.

Just tried the trial real quick before it was over, glad I did because I'm actually impressed; it's so much better than the first and second games, I especially love how natural the driving feels now.
I'll def pick this up down the road.

Sanepar

I was having fun until it puts a mandatory drift event on my face. Man I want race I don't fuck care about drift, jumps and this dumb stuff.

Dr.Morris79

It's that, but with less singing.
Total whack.

I put in a ticket with UBI on the 12th, with pictures and lots of lovely words. Tried their Twitter, Facebook and opening tickets on other games. It's an account issue, I need it fixed. I've added to my main ticket everyday since, got nowhere..

Today, I had a reply!

qKnMro3.jpg

Fuck this company.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Late to the party , just got ubisoft + to play this and assassing creed mirage for 20$ . I really like the themed playlists and that they have you drive different car of the same brand/type progressively. It keeps each race fresh plus each races feels unique also in its location and surroundings . I always want to do « one more » . Im happy i also got my cars from the second game back thats awesome . Overall better than expected a perfect mix of FH and the Crew 👍

So, I finally dipped into this when it was at 40%. Is it pretty dead in discussion around here, huh? I like this much better than I did Forza Horizon 5. This is a huge improvement over The Crew 2 physics that I hated, and the map is smaller but with a more interesting topography and layout. The only thing I would complain about besides the grind is the lack of multiple racing playlists or events. Why did they take so many steps backward with the online? I love the Grand Races being 28-players and all chaotic, however, they get boring fast. So does anyone know when they are coming with meaningful updates?

Fabieter

So, I finally dipped into this when it was at 40%. Is it pretty dead in discussion around here, huh? I like this much better than I did Forza Horizon 5. This is a huge improvement over The Crew 2 physics that I hated, and the map is smaller but with a more interesting topography and layout. The only thing I would complain about besides the grind is the lack of multiple racing playlists or events. Why did they take so many steps backward with the online? I love the Grand Races being 28-players and all chaotic, however, they get boring fast. So does anyone know when they are coming with meaningful updates?

Started a free version today and nothing on gaf. Wtf it seems like a pretty solid racing game

I love arcade racers but I loathe Ubi. Not sure what to do here.
As someone who loathed Ubisoft as well. It's not a bad game, just a little bloated in some areas and lacking in others. I like the event playlist format they got for the "campaign" but the online could be better if we got more variety in race types than the Grand Races and Demolition mode. There is fun in playing 28 player at the same time in most races, but I wouldn't lie I wish there were smaller events or even cups of 12 or so players to choose from.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I’ve tried the free trail, driving didn’t feel fun. Uninstalled. Thanks for the trail, Ubisoft, you’ve saved me some money. I rather start new save on Forza Horizon 3.

Top Bottom