• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew: Motorfest |OT| Aloha, Horizon

Denton

I drove across the map in Motorfest in that starting BMW and

- graphics looks really great, super clean, saw zero stutters or framedrops (1620p ultra, 60fps)
- cockpit view is also great, almost perfect, the steering wheel animations need to be in all games, but the missing mirrors are a huge shame, I just don't get why they cannot implement it across three games...it damages immersion in cockpit view
- handling with all assists off on controller feels pretty fun, similar to FH
- I do wish they used different place than Oahu, it feels a but one-note, plus I already played on it in TDU

Press B/Circle or Hold B/Circle.... Or maybe go back to Forza Horizon?
Weird, I saw no prompt for that. I thought by selecting some of those playlists it would get me into game, but then I got in by just walking to the door. I am actually tired of Forza Horizon, too copy pastey after spending 100 hours in FH3, neither FH4 or 5 kept me longer than few hours. Crew 1 is my favourite open world racer, loved it, but Crew 2 was disappointing.

Bry0

I drove across the map in Motorfest in that starting BMW and

- graphics looks really great, super clean, saw zero stutters or framedrops (1620p ultra, 60fps)
- cockpit view is also great, almost perfect, the steering wheel animations need to be in all games, but the missing mirrors are a huge shame, I just don't get why they cannot implement it across three games...it damages immersion in cockpit view
- handling with all assists off on controller feels pretty fun, similar to FH
- I do wish they used different place than Oahu, it feels a but one-note, plus I already played on it in TDU

Weird, I saw no prompt for that. I thought by selecting some of those playlists it would get me into game, but then I got in by just walking to the door. I am actually tired of Forza Horizon, too copy pastey after spending 100 hours in FH3, neither FH4 or 5 kept me longer than few hours. Crew 1 is my favourite open world racer, loved it, but Crew 2 was disappointing.
Oh yeah, the steering wheel animations are awesome. It’s such a massive jump over how bad they were in the crew 2. They look awesome now especially when drifting. The cockpit view in general is really nice I think. I kinda miss seeing pedestrians walking around though. It’s a small detail but I always thought that was cool when open world racers had them.

Last edited:

RyRy93

Haven’t played much but it just feels like The Crew 2 with a smaller map? I didn’t hate The Crew 2 like a lot of people seem to

TheStam

I want to like this since I'm a bit tired of the Forza Horizon formula even if I love those games. This obviously is very similar though. I guess the clue is in the title but it seems like they also managed to copy the worst part of Horizon, the whole hip young car party part with cringey dialogue.

I tried it out on uPlay and it seemed pretty good, except for the fact that it's a racing game locked to max 60 fps, at least I couldn't remove it. How is this possible on PC in 2023? I would never pay for this before they remove that.

damidu

I want to like this since I'm a bit tired of the Forza Horizon formula even if I love those games. This obviously is very similar though. I guess the clue is in the title but it seems like they also managed to copy the worst part of Horizon, the whole hip young car party part with cringey dialogue.
lol its up to 11 from get go

Whitecrow

Banned

I tried it out on uPlay and it seemed pretty good, except for the fact that it's a racing game locked to max 60 fps, at least I couldn't remove it. How is this possible on PC in 2023? I would never pay for this before they remove that.
It's not well optimized at all. Ryzen 5800x3d and AMD 7900XTX here, and cant get steady 4K@60 even on high settings.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The degree to which this game rips off Forza Horizon is pretty funny but overall I'm digging it. I may even be so bold as to say that I'm enjoying this more than FH5 because unlike Forza, this game actually has a number of campaigns with some sort of a progression involved, and the driving physics feel more weighty and realistic. As much as I enjoy Forza Horizon, cars in those game always felt like hovercrafts to me but The Crew feels like I'm actually driving a vehicle, which is nice.

I'm still probably gonna just drain my trial time and then wait until the game goes on sale, though. This time of year is just way too busy with other games, and I also just bought a bunch of oldies on 360 for Halloween that I wanna dig into as well so there's just no more room left for another racing game.

It's good, though. I'm pleasantly surprised.

My experience with the game summed up in one picture... :( They should really let us control all HUD and other world elements/icons.

MZubYQQ.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i should say i am on Xbox, cant figure it out, may aswell do it on PS5 then as that seems simpler
Ah yeah, I see what you mean just based on the webstores.

PlayStation has the "Free Trial" there.

Drizzlehell

Banned
So this is actually good? Would it be a good substitute for someone who really misses MotorStorm Pacific Rift?
No. This is literally Forza Horizon, but with slightly different driving physics and more interesting progression. If that sounds like a slice of fried gold for you then you can jump on it because it's really fun. My trial is almost out and I'm actually kinda bummed out, lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No. This is literally Forza Horizon, but with slightly different driving physics and more interesting progression. If that sounds like a slice of fried gold for you then you can jump on it because it's really fun. My trial is almost out and I'm actually kinda bummed out, lol.

I don't know, the only open world-ish racing game I've ever really played is Burnout Paradise.

Thief1987

Tried the trial. In the first racing event narrator girl, who didn't shut up through the whole race, started to reassure me - "Oh, don't worry, winning doesn't matter, it's just a bonus. We're all here just to enjoy the ride, listening music and looking at the sceneries." Deleted immediately. No, thanks, I don't care about this shit in a racing game.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

ok playing trial and not a fan of my second race being a long ass 8min drive! :messenger_grinning_smiling: in a arcade racer i like my races short and swee, come on now

hopefully this is a rarity, otherwise i am quiet liking the location and driving

Drizzlehell

Banned
Tried the trial. In the first racing event narrator girl, who didn't shut up through the whole race, started to reassure me - "Oh, don't worry, winning doesn't matter, it's just a bonus. We're all here just to enjoy the ride, listening music and looking at the sceneries." Deleted immediately. No, thanks, I don't care about this shit in a racing game.
Cool, cool... Did you also turn off MGS 3 the moment some guy started talking about the Cold War because you didn't sign up for no damn history lesson and just wanted to shoot some guys?

I don't know, the only open world-ish racing game I've ever really played is Burnout Paradise.
Well, it's no Burnout Paradise either, that's for sure. It's more like Need For Speed but on an open map. You can fast travel between main racing events if you don't wanna bother with exploring the map, though.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only that was a bit irked by the whole winning doesn’t matter thing. I was thinking ‘but it a fucking racing game where you race other cars, winning should matter’.

I don’t really know why it annoyed me, but it made me question what the point of the game was at that point if all I’m doing is looking at scenery and driving. I kind of like a bit of competition in these games.

Denton

So I played for about 4 hours, the races of the "made in japan" playlist and some of the american muscle (the american muscle cutscene intro is hilarious - I hope intentionally)

On one hand:

I like the game itself - the racing, graphics, handling, cockpit view (though those missing mirrors do piss me off)

On the other hand:

The incessant inane jabber during races... this game should be called Crew: Cringefest because that's what it is. Fortunately it is possible to just flatout mute all voices in the game, disable subtitles, and enjoy actual driving and racing experience.

It's funny, the one thing I never liked about Forza Horizon was its lame festival theme. The one thing (among quite a few) I liked about Crew 1 was its b-movie, not great but at least serious and with low amount of cringe, thriller revenge flick story. So of course, of course, Ubisoft has to copy the one thing I hate in FH into their game and call it "A Ubisoft Original". Of course.

Still, it is pretty fun game despite Ubisoft's best efforts to piss me off, can't lie.

I am not gonna be buying it though. Might play some more again when Avatar comes out and I sub to ubiplus, if that game is good.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The incessant inane jabber during races... this game should be called Crew: Cringefest because that's what it is. Fortunately it is possible to just flatout mute all voices in the game, disable subtitles, and enjoy actual driving and racing experience.
It's games like this and Borderlands 3 that the "voice volume" slider was invented for. Put it to good use, my friend.

Poppyseed

This game is a lesson in frustration. It does a bunch of things right, - for example the map, which is fantastic compared to Horizon in terms of the way the game zooms out from your car into this 3D map. Very cool. Then the map itself is messy (not cool).

I run a top of the line 4090 PC, and the game runs at 60fps max, which is sad. It's also a bit... blurry, since you can't turn off the AA fully which is definitely softening the image. Handling-wise this can't touch Forza, which is part of the issue, and the other is that it's just... not that interesting?

It's a shame. It's clear the developers set out to ape Forza Horizon, and they kinda/sorta did, but then... what's the point when Horizon is so much better?

Poppyseed

I’m glad I wasn’t the only that was a bit irked by the whole winning doesn’t matter thing. I was thinking ‘but it a fucking racing game where you race other cars, winning should matter’.

I don’t really know why it annoyed me, but it made me question what the point of the game was at that point if all I’m doing is looking at scenery and driving. I kind of like a bit of competition in these games.
That's because it doesn't matter on those particular "races" since they're just explore the scenery drives.

That's because it doesn't matter on those particular "races" since they're just explore the scenery drives.
Yep, found that out the hard way. Just did the monster truck race and failed about 5 times. Funny how when I turned off the stupid dudes voice that I came first and beat my lap time by 5 seconds... Great game though, absolutely loving it so far.

Really enjoyed the 'Outrun' style challenge in the muscle cars.

drotahorror

So this is actually good? Would it be a good substitute for someone who really misses MotorStorm Pacific Rift?

Absolutely. I made a comment on a youtube video that this is the best arcade offroad racer since MS PR.

Even the boost sounds is straight up from Motorstorm.

It's been a bit of a long process but my goal in this game was to play through 10 playlists to unlock fast travel. Now I can fast travel to any offroad/rally event that I want and use any class of vehicle I want. Some of the races are down right dangerous and scary now. I play with no rewind on, so really got to understand some of the more dangerous jumps/turns. One track in particular is on the side of a giant mountain with a very narrow path going around it and up it. One fuck up and you're off the side of the cliff.

I paid $15 for ubisoft+ and this is totally worth that just to relive some Pacific Rift moments.

I literally have no idea what anyone is talking about when it comes to this game's cringe. As soon as I made my avatar and got into the open world, I immediately muted the music and voices. I've never heard one shitty song or experienced one more shitty word during the game in it's entirety. I listen to my own music in racing games if needed, I don't need anyone forcing me to listen to their shit.

I must be one of the rare souls that doesn't care about racing game stories, or hearing anything except car sounds and my own music. NFS Unbound, I immediately muted all voices.

All that stuff is there for a reason.

Anyone playing this with a wheel? Can I get some impressions?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Tried the trial and went through the Porsche campaign. Can't say I enjoy the handling as every surface feels slippery and different surfaces don't feel all that different from one another. It doesn't have a great sense of speed either which might be due in part to most cars having turbo. A tire wear system is also not something I'd see in a game like this. Again, not a fan. Performance seems fine on PS5 but the graphics are a little flat. Not sure I'll play much more. It's not bad but it isn't grabbing me either.

Elysium44

Banned
Just tried the trial on Series S and the first race runs at 30fps with stutters. Forza Horizon 5 of course runs at a flawless 60. (Unlike FH5 there is no performance mode for this game - edit - not on SS anyway.)

Also what is with making some of the prompts require me to tap but others to hold? Either do one or the other.

Second race is the same, this is really poor on the SS at least, shouldn't have been released in this state. The game itself looks like an unashamed Horizon clone, you get some ugly characters to choose from, and a cringey voiceover. Doesn't look like something I want even if it ran well.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Downloaded the trial and picked the Japan thing, where do I buy vehicles to do off-road events?
You dont, they auto loan you cars for events, not sure how and when you use purchased/won cars.
Also a note, game hitches horribly on PC.

Its a console first game much like most of the industry.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Unlikely that they ever will because frame rate is synced with online servers or whatever and unlocking it would glitch out the physics. It's the same issue as with all those always-online Need For Speed games. You can thank the publisher for mandating this shitty GaaS system for every game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Interesting, mind sharing your spec? im on 4090 with a 5800x cpu, maybe time to go AM5 :(
I’m on a 3080 with an i7-11700k and saw plenty of drops at ultra settings native 4k. But no stutters. I’m gpu bound and in some jungle areas with lots of foliage i saw drops to 45 fps.

Changed resolution slider to 90% and I’m closer to 60 fps in those areas while being locked in most tracks.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Playing some of this now.

Man, we were joking about "Forza at home", but the intro and pre-title stuff is basically interchangeable with Horizon 5.

It's as blatant of an homage as they could have made lol.

That being said, it has been 2 years since FH5 so there's definitely room for another one of these in the market.

I liked what they did with the handling physics, they were improved all around. But the map is small and uninteresting.

Ivory Tower missed on doing some crazy track design with what they already have with the The Crew 2 tech and I feel a little let down by how empty the world feels in comparison to their previous games. Another thing, I gave a look into the cars and there are many copies of the same car counting as individual cars. I hate that thing in racing games.

The game isn't bad and runs butter smooth on PC and consoles, however, I don't think it's worth getting it at launch for me. There isn't enough to justify the purchase when I am playing other games as well (and Lies of P releases soon). Still, I recommend it for people who likes Forza Horizon.

Elysium44

Banned
I liked what they did with the handling physics, they were improved all around. But the map is small and uninteresting.

Ivory Tower missed on doing some crazy track design with what they already have with the The Crew 2 tech and I feel a little let down by how empty the world feels in comparison to their previous games. Another thing, I gave a look into the cars and there are many copies of the same car counting as individual cars. I hate that thing in racing games.

The game isn't bad and runs butter smooth on PC and consoles, however, I don't think it's worth getting it at launch for me. There isn't enough to justify the purchase when I am playing other games as well (and Lies of P releases soon). Still, I recommend it for people who likes Forza Horizon.

Not on a Series S.

Dr.Morris79

Been waiting four days for someone/anyone at UBI to help with my issue. It seems support is non existant with this company, no matter the channel

Fuck paying them any sort of sub. Zero recourse if they screw up with your money.

Elysium44

Banned
This console seriously needs to go, lol.

I love it as a machine for backwards compatible games but expecting it to perform well with a game that looks this good is just ridiculous and it shouldn't even be expected of it.

Two things to say about that, it doesn't look any better than say NFS Unbound or Forza Horizon 5 which both run at 60fps on the SS. And also the beta of this game did run at 60fps.

Wheel support on my Fanatec DD Pro was wretched in the Crew 2 but it is vastly improved in this. Handling still feels a little weirder than Forza Horizon 5, a bit more arcadey. The graphics are terrible and generic on PS5. Someone said it looks like Forza Horizon 3.5 but I'd say 3 looks way better than this, other than it being 30 fps.

Top Bottom