• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew: Motorfest |OT| Aloha, Horizon

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
How customizable are the controls. Thinking it would be fun (maybe just once)to use my wheel and pedals for cars, Flight stick for planes, wheel and flight stick throttle for boats. Bikes are the odd one out where it would just be controller.

Fox Mulder

Long time player of Forza Motorsport & Horizon here.
Is the "new" handling more Horizon or NFS based ?
I hated TC2 handling and wonder if Motorfest changed in a good way.

It’s totally going for a Forza Horizon feel. TC2 was way more arcadey.

Wizz-Art

I had nothing to do today so I bought the Ultimate Edition since people were saying it's almost like Forza Horizon which is my favourite franchise I can't go wrong even it's a lesser surrogate was my reasoning.

A couple of hours in I can't believe how much of a FH rip-off it is, not in a bad way though as more FH is a + in my book but it's clear that the devs took a good look at FH. It stil does the RPG like upgrading of your car as we became accustomed to with The Crew. The handling is much more to my liking, not Horizon like but a lot closer to Horizon than 2 ever was. As someone said previously the cars feel heftier and therefor it just feels better to play. It looks beautiful and I play in performance mode on the XSX and it's a smooth experience so far. Also really cool that they kept it a small install size, less than 37 GB!

Forza Horizon: Hawaii... sorry, The Crew: Motorfest is a very good game and I had a blast playing the closed beta and am now enjoying the final game.

It's a very nice game even if it is a very blatant copy of Forza Horizon, even down to the whole festival vibe and constant chatter from various NPCs as you drive around and do events. It is also a lot better than The Crew 2 as this has more personality and focus, especially with it being an island setting as opposed to an entire continent! Graphically the game is solid and sometimes even pretty but it looks like Forza Horizon 5 on the medium visual preset. It's not quite as visually impressive as that game, certainly not the PC version with ray-tracing enabled for sure, and there is more noticeable pop in, especially of shadows and foliage/trees. I kind of want a higher than Ultra setting for the draw distance on PC, oh and an option to unlock that 60 fps framerate. My PC is barely breaking a sweat running this game maxed out at 1440p.

I am enjoying the car events and the game imported 33 cars from my The Crew 2 save. The boat and flying events are a lot less enjoyable though and just feel like filler. I did a boat event on Intermediate difficulty yesterday and finished 7th place (out of 8) as the other boats were much faster than mine and I was unable to catch up. Car racing though feels much more balanced on the same difficulty.

Last edited:

Rivdoric

Neo Member
Bought the game in the end, took a risk but after 700h of Horizon 5 i wanted a change.
Forza Horizon copy/paste for almost everything but it provides a bit bigger and a lot better map. Handling is really good, much closer to Horizon than the Crew 2 which i stopped after 5h because it was just plain bad.
Playlist system is a bit better than the cringy stories in Horizon 5.
Overall I'm pleased to see the changes !
The only very bad point is, being a Ubisoft game, there is already premium currency and some items only purchasable using it. Meh Ubisoft.
And i REALLY hope they will consider adding DLSS in the close future because the forced TAA is simply awful and ruins all sharpness and you can't disable it.

Last edited:
I’m really tempted to get this for something to chill with of an evening. I’ve seen some videos and it just looks like FH. Can anyone let me know what the car handling is like?

Shame it’s not on Steam as I’d liked to have played on Steam Deck.

TheMan

I feel like hype for this game is just nonexistant, but I've been looking forward to it. Not enough to pay an extra 30 bucks for 3 days early access but I'll be playing this weekend for sure.

Fox Mulder

The redliner kit vanity summit reward sounds amazing. Makes the cars sound insane with higher revs and turbo noises.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
OK, I played the intro section + some free drive + 1 proper race. Quick impressions:

• Graphics are okay but they are last gen okay. I've maxed out it on PC (for some reason framerate is capped at 60, that's stupid) and it looks like Forza Horizon 3.5.
  • Visual diarrhea is everywhere. Island you're on is full of floating balloons, there's confetti and smoke when you race and it's just such a bad art design/style, very unpleasant to look at. Horizon did it the right amount and much, much better.
  • Characters look atrocious, as expected.
  • Dialogue and voice acting is headache educing. Do yourself a favor and turn off voice in audio settings.
  • Car handling - pretty decent. It's not Forza but if your point of reference is The Crew 2 you'll be blown away.
  • User interface is garbage. You can switch some of it off but not all and there's no option to scale it. Fucking speedometer and map is taking 1/2 of the screen.
  • Hardest difficulty setting with all assist off seems to be not so hard, I easily finished first in my first American Muscle race.

GHG

Does this play well with a wheel?

Tempted to get a Ubisoft sub for a month to try it out.

Fox Mulder

Does this play well with a wheel?

Tempted to get a Ubisoft sub for a month to try it out.

I don’t play with a wheel but the game is better with one from what I hear. It was in TC2 as well. People using one would have better times on the summit events.

Reactions: GHG

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I swear, Ubisoft needs to stop with the "A Ubisoft Original" bullshit. Cringe as fuck.
Цыц! You don't get it. The cringe is intentional, it makes them stand out from the crowd, look very important and iconic. If you'll take that away from them, what else they have? Jesus, man, have mercy, will ya.

I'll give the 5hrs trial a go to see how much they improved the handling. I played both The Crew games so I know what I'm getting into, my problem with them is that I simply grew tired of the way cars handled. I need more weight! More power! And better track and environmental design. I wish I could be surprised by the end of the day.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Performance on PC is far from ideal - traversal stutters, really bad framepacing and zero stability, freezes etc. (I've 8700K and 3080Ti).
Bx6NRfj.png
vsuKSSc.png
Clearly CPU and GPU are basically idling and doing nothing. I also don't get why they've decided to use compressed videos instead of in-engine cutscenes. It looks like there's no way to switch to DX11/12 instead of using Vulkan.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Reminder.

The free 5-hour trial for this will start at some time today (might even be live now, no idea).

It will last till the 17th.

Your progress made in the trial will carry over to the main game.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to pull myself away from Starfield and give it a shot.

Bry0

Having enjoyed 1 and 2, the handling is much better for cars. Planes were basically completely ruined however. The “playlists” forcing cars on you through the first round of them is kind of painful. I feel like graphics and car handling are definitely a step up but it lost everything else that made the crew interesting.

Glad I tried it with ubiaoft+, I’ll just say that. If I paid $70 I’d be disappointed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Links for the free trial

Xbox:

Playstation:

PC:

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Having enjoyed 1 and 2, the handling is much better for cars. Planes were basically completely ruined however. The “playlists” forcing cars on you through the first round of them is kind of painful. I feel like graphics and car handling are definitely a step up but it lost everything else that made the crew interesting.

Glad I tried it with ubiaoft+, I’ll just say that. If I paid $70 I’d be disappointed.

You can adjust the plane controls. I dont care about them or the boats.

damidu

lol its like their unashamed horizon ripoff, even right down to insufferable cast of characters.

already liking the map better though

Last edited:

Denton

So I played the intro, "A Ubisoft Original", how fitting considering it is a shameless rip-off of Forza Horizon. Then I selected some scenic route "playlist" and played in the open world for a while. I shut the game down, now I started it, and I have no fucking clue how to enter the game. I am in the shitty garage with other clueless people, there is the playlist activity banner, but no obvious way to re-enter the game. What the fuck am I overlooking.

(admittedly I skipped over all cutscenes, which is something I never do but I could not take the cringe, plus it is a time limited trial)

Last edited:

nikos

So I played the intro, "A Ubisoft Original", how fitting considering it is a shameless rip-off of Forza Horizon. Then I selected some scenic route "playlist" and played in the open world for a while. I shut the game down, now I started it, and I have no fucking clue how to enter the game. I am in the shitty garage with other clueless people, there is the playlist activity banner, but no obvious way to re-enter the game. What the fuck am I overlooking.

(admittedly I skipped over all cutscenes, which is something I never do but I could not take the cringe, plus it is a time limited trial)

Interesting way of saying "I'm a dumbass."

Dr.Morris79

UBI Support is utter gash. Been waiting two days for account support, their Twitter is shit, support forum is shit, zero reply to support tickets for days and their Discord is shit..

Just all round shit.

drotahorror

Press B/Circle or Hold B/Circle.... Or maybe go back to Forza Horizon?

Don't understand the "forza horizon rip off" statement a couple people are shoutin. This game was made by the people that made the original Test Drive Unlimited (which took place in O'ahu as well). If anything, Forza Horizon is a ripoff of that.

DJ12

Poor test drive unlimited with Forza Horizon now being the creator of open world car games.

Don't worry bro, I remember you.

test-drive-unlimited.gif

drotahorror

I'm closing in on completing my 10th playlist today (can't wait to fast travel to the events I want to play more of, which is nice when you're on a wheel since flying is impossible on it). I want to give my thoughts soon. Didn't realize there was an OT til just now. Gonna talk about wheel support/gameplay etc. So far I'm really enjoying it though.

Top Bottom