• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Grand Theft Auto Radio Stations

Fjordson

Apart from the talk radio, i love Radio Broker from GTA IV, it introduced me to a whole lot of bands that i love to this day (LCD Soundsystem! UNKLE! Black Keys! !!!!)

25294247.jpg
Yeah! That was a great station.

I'm tellin' you guys, GTA IV's radio was actually pretty dope. It didn't have time period classics to hang its hat on like Vice City and San Andreas, but there was a lot of good music in there that made sense for a modern take on New York City imo.

Marvie_3

Banned
GTA3 - Chatterbox FM,
GTA:VC - V-Rock, Wave 103
GTA:SA - Bounce FM, K-DST, K-Rose, Radio Los Santos
GTA4 - Liberty Rock Radio, Radio Broker, Integrity 2.0

Music stations aside, I really like to listen to the talk radio stations (I don't have a specific favorite, I like 'em all). That's where the true gold of the games are for me, most of the time. Just funny stuff every time.

McNei1y

Radio Los Santos. I mean there are some amazing stations out there but Radio Los Santos was so awesome when I was on missions. I felt like such a badass. :\

jgminto

Haven't played the older ones recently enough to have a favourite but in 4 Radio Broker and Liberty Rock Radio were both great music stations. Integrity 2.0 and WKTT were also great until you heard them repeat for the fifth time. LCHC was pretty poor in the main game but got some good stuff in LatD and LRR got even better.

GTA3: Chatterbox, all the way.
Vice City: V-Rock, everything else is for "wimps".

No radio station made an impression on me in the rest of the games.

Jamie OD

I lost track how many times I played Vice City with just VCPR on in the background. I found those talk shows hilarious.

GTA3 - Flashback FM. Glorious Scarface soundtrack, I played with this station only.
VC - I didn't have one specific radio station.
SA - Radio X. Glorious rock is glorious.
GTAIV - I really liked Vadislovock FM

bomma_man

Yeah! That was a great station.

I'm tellin' you guys, GTA IV's radio was actually pretty dope. It didn't have time period classics to hang its hat on like Vice City and San Andreas, but there was a lot of good music in there that made sense for a modern take on New York City imo.

A person's opinion on the IV soundtrack is a good indication of whether they are more interested in music or nostalgia.

Nevasleep

Vice City was perfect, the 80s, DJs, and even VCPR was better. Plus that Rock Band in game.
For GTA4, it's radio broker and a couple of the hiphop/rap stations.

Didn't really pay much attention to the stations in other games, well apart from 'head radio' in GTA1.

Lakitu

st5fu
GTA 3- Chatterbox FM
GTA: VC- Emotion, V-Rock
GTA: SA- Radio Los Santos, Radio X
GTA 4- The Journey, Vladivostok, Electro Choc

Yasae

Banned
I now feel like hocking up my PS2 to just listen to Flash FM.

[edit]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0vSn3bnvwA

Awesome. :D
Hall & Oates - "Out of Touch"
Wang Chung - "Dance Hall Days"
Michael Jackson - "Billie Jean"
Laura Branigan - "Self Control"
Go West - "Call Me"
INXS - "Kiss the Dirt (Falling Down the Mountain)"
Bryan Adams - "Run to You"
Electric Light Orchestra - "Four Little Diamonds"
Yes - "Owner of a Lonely Heart"
The Buggles - "Video Killed the Radio Star"
Aneka - "Japanese Boy"
Talk Talk - "Life's What You Make It"
The Outfield - "Your Love"
Joe Jackson - "Steppin' Out"
The Fixx - "One Thing Leads to Another"
Lionel Richie - "Running with the Night"

My higlights. Running with the Night, Self Control are kinda cheese but just good enough.

For me K-DST in SA V-Rock in VC is the ones that got the most rotation.

Although other favorites were Radio X, Radio Los Santos and WCTR in San Andreas and Flash FM and both K-Chat and VCPR in Vice City.

Also, I was/am a huge Guns N' Roses fan and I didn't realize Axl was voicing Tommy for over a year.

Clevinger

I loved Chatterbox as a kid, though I wonder now if it was actually any good because Lazlo's thing in GTAIV was fucking terrible.

Honestly, the in-car radios and DJ's in the Grand Theft Auto games is one of the factors that make the games so enjoyable for me. Here's my list of faves from the main games from III onwards.

GTA III - ChatterboxFM

GTA: Vice City - Wave 103 / FlashFM / V-Rock / Emotion 98.3

GTA: San Andreas - Radio X / SF-UR / K-DST / Radio Los Santos

GTA IV - Electro-Choc / The Journey / Radio Broker / The Vibe / Liberty Rock Radio

Grand Theft Auto III was the only game where I spent most of my time listening to the talk radio. I enjoy each game's soundtrack, but if I were to personally rank my them it'd be Vice City, San Andreas, IV, then III. VC, SA, and IV are about equal in terms of how much I enjoy them though.

I'm curious to see how GTAV's radio stations turn out, but I'm sure they'll be great like always.

lefantome

I'm sorry but San andreas has some of the best radios of all time, of all time!

Radio x, los santos, k dust, k rose!

Im gta3 i loved lips 106 commercial radio at its best and proud of it!
I also loved flashback fm and k jah.

I was amazed by GTA IV's station. I tend to not like R&B and yet I love The Vibe. The same applies for Massive B. As of my favourite, I can't really choose. There are so many great stations for the disco/electro enthusiast that I am, Flashback form LCS made me discover Giorgio Moroder, Bounce FM (which is currently in my phone for whenever I need a groovy fix, which happen quite often these days :lol), Fever 105, etc...

I can't wait for GTA V for the soundtrack alone, even if the game is a massive failure, I'm sure that the soundtrack will deliver! The only GTA game that disapointed me with its soundtrack is Chinatown Wars, but it's not a surprise considering it was a DS game.

Amagon

I pretty much love all the radio stations in every GTA game. Probably one of the biggest selling factors for me.

radio broker - GTA4

i never knew you could turn off the radio in GTA4 , so i always used radio broker across 2 full plays ..

Chatterbox and Flashback in GTA3 still stand out for me, in fact so do most of the GTA3 radio stations, might be a nostalgia thing. Coming to think of it I never really had any preferences in Vice City or San Andreas, though I guess K Rose was a guilty pleasure.

Icomp

Liberty Rock Radio.

On a side-note. This is the greatest radio station ever featured in a videogame.

The-Mix-logo.jpg

Saints Row 2

Emotions and chatterbox

fuck. why is GTA3 / Vice City so good?

some of the best video games ever made. not even rockstar can make open worlds so perfect. everyone makes them either to big, small, narrow, too random terrain, too tight, not enough eco-systems etc.

Skyrim had a good world thou. but no radio stations. there should have been a magic radio button on horses that allowed you to listen to Bard music.

Top Bottom