• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Grand Theft Auto Radio Stations

rouken

To cope with the fact that there's still no info on anything GTA V related, I've played through TBOGT and completely realized that the gta series has one of the best collection of licensed music in gaming. Catering to different kinds of genre, the radio stations of each gta are one of the highlights of it.

I'm not really a musically inclined person but i think the radio stations are a great way of introducing people to a variety of music from different artist around the world. Because I think I would not have listened to eastern european music in a million years if it weren't for Vladivostok FM. I really appreciate how Rockstar put this much effort in the radio stations of each game and I'm really excited on what GTA V has to offer.

Here are my favorite radio stations:

Grand Theft Auto III

Head Radio
Head_Radio_logo_%28GTA3%29.jpg

This is the first station that you tune into at the start of the game i think and at the time that i was playing i really didn't change radio stations when i drive around town, so for most of the game this was the radio station that i couldn't get out of my head.

Chatterbox FM
140px-Chatterbox.jpg

Talk radio never really hit me until chatterbox, my second playthrough mostly involved tuning in chatterbox and listen to lazlow interview weird lc residents.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Flash FM
Site_image8.png

I've never been exposed to 80's pop music like flash fm did. it was refreshing change of music from all the pop i've been listening to when this game released and how can you not listen to flash when driving around vice city.

V-Rock
Vrock.jpg

This is the other one of those I've never heard of this great music until this game. I like modern rock but 80's rock is much better and of course DJ Lazlow is the host so you know this is awesome radio.

VCPR
Site_image83.png

Once again, talk radio is something everyone has to listen to in vice city. Maurice Chavez is my second favorite host after Lazlow, I love how he interacts with the guest of his pressing issues segment.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Radio Los Santos
radio_10.gif

I spent my playthough listening to this station, and i think it's a great collection of hip hop music from the 90's. Plus Julio G is a great host.

West Coast Talk Radio
200px-Wctr.jpg

Finally Lazlow goes back to talk radio and more than ever he interviews the weirdest residents of San Andreas. Entertaining America, Lonely Hearts, I say You Say and Area 53 are the highlights.

Grand Theft Auto IV

Vladivostok FM
5622715466_2373453d2d_m.jpg

Even though I don't understand the lyrics of the songs one bit, I love listening to this station just because it's pretty awesome to discover the type of songs in here.

IF99
IF99.jpeg

Ever since I've heard the sample of this station before the release of gta 4, i know i will be tuning into this and it didn't dissapoint. Full of afrobeat and funk music, it really is a consistently fresh radio station out of all available ones in this game.

What do you think are the best ones of each gta games?

I went through all of GTA IV (well... all of it until I couldn't stand the missions anymore) with the Eastern European radio station on. My excuse was that that's what Niko would really listen to, but in reality I just loved the songs. The one about the swanky swanky pigs is my favorite song in the game.

SiteSeer

my friends and i spent way too much time listening to kjah from 3. then we extracted the mp3 from the pc version and listen to that outside the game.

rouken

I went through all of GTA IV (well... all of it until I couldn't stand the missions anymore) with the Eastern European radio station on. My excuse was that that's what Niko would really listen to, but in reality I just loved the songs. The one about the swanky swanky pigs is my favorite song in the game.

yeah me too, a lot of catchy songs even though i don't understand any of them. :)

Lijik

GTA 3 Chatter Box and GTA 4 Vladivostok FM are the two greatest stations in my opinion. Glad to see both already got a write up in the OP

zerotol

Banned
In Vice City it would be V Rock for sure.

San Andreas I listened to K Rose the most. It was a blast to cruise around the mountain and woods listening to that station.

In GTA4 I listened to the JNR jazz station mostly and the Journey station was great too. Driving around Liberty City at night while it's raining listening to the Journey station ruled

They really do knock it out of the park every time.

Can't wait to completely ignore the inevitably dubstep station in GTA V though.

GTA 3 Chatterbox just for Fernando's New beginnings.

You see Lazlow, you see? I remember Jerry so well. He come in, he is like a broken man. A half a man. A "Ma" if you will. He has no "N" anymore. And his marriage. it is killing him! Where is the passion? She is gone, replaced by ugliness. You see Lazlow...Mrs. Jerry...she is not a pretty lady! She is more like an offensive lineman, or a tight end, big and hairy. But fertile! She gives Jerry five kids. But now she is even bigger. Now she is like a whole offensive line.

Also, whatever the talk radio show was on Vice City that had Laurence Taylor and some ditzy woman.

KorrZ

V ROCK is the only answer. I had that on for 99.98% of my Vice City playthrough, and all subsequent times I've played that game. So good.

bomma_man

Basically all the music stations in GTAIV were great, except that electro choc had a few too many crappy electro house bangers that haven't aged well at all.

Adding You're the Voice by John Farnham to Gay Tony was a master stroke.

Grayman

I forgot the name but I really liked the rap station in Liberty City Stories.

Grand Theft Auto 3 stands as a period piece of the time it came out as well as vice city did the 80s. A great satirical time capsule of 2000/1.

I liked Wave 103 and Wildstyle Pirate Radio in Vice City.

Radio X was pretty much the only station I listened to in San Andreas.

seldead

Flash FM - Vice city: for that sweet period pop
Radio X - San Andreas: 90's alt rock goes down a treat
Electro Choc - GTA 4: Driving around to Waters of Nazarath was always a highlight. The station with get innocuous by LCD sound system wasn't bad either

rouken

I forgot the name but I really liked the rap station in Liberty City Stories.

Grand Theft Auto 3 stands as a period piece of the time it came out as well as vice city did the 80s. A great satirical time capsule of 2000/1.

that would be liberty jam radio. :)

anyways, every gta games are really improved by the radio stations making the player feel the that you're in that particular timeline.

You forget yourselves. There is but one talk radio show to rule them all... Gardening with Maurice, starring none other than Andy Dick...

/thread

Forgot to mention earlier, my favourite station is probably Fever 105. Whoever decided to follow Wanna Be Startin' Something with And The Beat Goes On should get a free pass on life.

Jintor

VCPR for Maurice Chavez, V-Rock for Lazlow and the kickass music, and Flash for the kickass music. Though really every station in Vice City was golden.

JCtheMC

Fjordson

So many I could list.

One I've been listening to lately (or at least when I replayed the DLC episodes last month):

TheJourney.png

Hosted by a computer :lol it has some great stuff on it. Steve Roach, Aphex Twin, Jean Michel Jarre, Philip Glass, and some others. It's all so damn relaxing, especially when you're driving around the city at night.

Also loved K109 The Studio hosted by Karl Lagerfield lmao. Tons of great dance/disco music on there. Sister Sledge, Peaches & Herb, Candi Staton, etc.

GTA IV's radio is surprisingly great. I remember being underwhelmed for the first few weeks after it came out, but there's plenty to like on it. I'm also glad that it continued in the footsteps of San Andreas with multiple talk radio stations. Hoping GTA V has that as well.

rouken

Came here to post this.

Out of all the GTA's, SA just had the strongest music selections. It had at least 4 stations that were fantastic. Radio X has Helmet, what more could i ask for?

so true. RLS, K-DST, Radio X, The Bounce and WCTR were the highlights for me.

Big-E

This reminds me of another reason I didn't enjoy IV, I felt the radio stations were severely lacking. In terms of favourites I will go with FLASH and KDST and then all the public radio stations.

Chris R

I keep considering buy the xbox original on XBLA, but I keep holding hope for an HD collection, but it seems like it's getting too late in the console cycle for that.

The pc version is the version to get. View distance and fog mods, and kbm+game pad for playing. Sooooooo good.

Derrick01

Banned
Vrock pretty much defined Vice City with a mix of cheesy but fun hair metal and thrash metal.

I also really liked the public radio station they had.

GTA3 - Flashback
Vice City - Wave
San Andreas - KDST

Vice City is the hardest to choose from. Overall it's the best. I mean the game and soundtrack.

rakhir

Apart from the talk radio, i love Radio Broker from GTA IV, it introduced me to a whole lot of bands that i love to this day (LCD Soundsystem! UNKLE! Black Keys! !!!!)

25294247.jpg

Top Bottom