• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 4 failures of the generation

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Cyberpunk sold 1 million (copies) on PC alone that is like...1/7th of their advertisement budget so it is NOT a failure ok?

Ten_Fold

1. TLOUS2, fuck that game

2. Avengers, how the hell did they fuck that game up?

3. Destiny, It’s not a bad game at all, it’s just coming off the Halo 1-3/ODST I thought bungie would’ve made something even more fun an the game just felt OK.

4. FF15. I’m a big FF fan and that game was just a cluster fuck.

I’m sorry OP, but I can’t add cyberpunk just yet, I’m give them a little bit longer to release a damn patch.

Rdr2 is the best story,protagonist,setting ever,apart from some gameplay quirks its probably the best game ever released in my opinion
Nothing comes close

I feel like, more broadly speaking, there really wasn't a truly great RPG in the gen.

The decline of Bioware and Bethesda is a sad one but hopefully lessons will be learned.
Dragon Quest Xi is the GOAT of the gen.

Ni No Kuni 2 was surprisingly solid and fun.

If you like indie rpgs, check out Rainbow Moon and Rainbow Skies.

Last edited:

TMLT

RDR2 is a top 10 game of the last decade.

As for Cyberpunk, its a good game even now with its issues. But people were expecting some game changing epic that was on par with The Witcher 3. What they got instead was a good but clearly unfinished, unpolished game. You can tell CDPR themselves werent happy with it hence the endless delays, but they ran out of chances and just had to ship it eventually. Its a shame that they didnt fully realize their vision. I wouldnt put it anywhere near the level of something like Fallout 76 or Anthem though.

Yoboman

1. WiiU

Daylight

2. Microsoft Game Studios first party output

More daylight

3. Bioware
4. Fallout 76

Last edited:

Jada

Banned

As for Cyberpunk, its a good game even now with its issues. But people were expecting some game changing epic that was on par with The Witcher 3. What they got instead was a good but clearly unfinished, unpolished game. You can tell CDPR themselves werent happy with it hence the endless delays, but they ran out of chances and just had to ship it eventually. Its a shame that they didnt fully realize their vision. I wouldnt put it anywhere near the level of something like Fallout 76 or Anthem though.
It’s not even a good game and, quite honestly, plays like it came from a completely different company than the one who crafted Witcher 3. The two games couldn’t be further apart in terms of quality. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, as incomplete as it felt, was a far more competently designed cyberpunk RPG. When you think back to what was promised by CPDR, by what its previews suggested we’d experience, the final product has fallen appallingly short. A city teeming with brain dead NPCs and almost no interactivity, with no apoarent systems running in the background to affect an air of life. That’s how I’d describe this game’s world. It really begs the question: What the FUCK have they been working on?!?

waquzy

You can’t really call it a good game when one does not have any AI whatsoever. It’s a broken mess, it’s an illusion to put it simply.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nothing tops Fallout 76. Nothing. It was an unmitigated, ongoing disaster that got worse and worse over the span of a year before it started to look normal again. There are so many layers to that failure I wouldn't even know where to start.

You can’t really call it a good game when one does not have any AI whatsoever. It’s a broken mess, it’s an illusion to put it simply.

A) You're oversimplifying.

B) It is in no way a disaster on the level of Fallout 76 or Avengers.

You're equating it to those because you didn't like it. Huge difference.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Red Dead 2 is one of the best games ever created. Arguably the best.

Cyberpunk 2077 is probably going to be one of my favorite games of all time. Providing they iron out the bugs. Which honestly haven’t been anything too terrible for me yet. Just immersion breaking.

silly thread. Silly list.

The biggest failure of the generation is BioWare. Mass effect Andromeda and Anthem both hit DOA. They are the biggest failures.

No mans sky was a huge disappointment but from what I read it recovered, I am not playing it though

RDR2 is an achievement. Not a failure. That is a dumb take to call it a failure.
Cyberpunk isn’t a failure either. It is fine on the PC. And will get better on the consoles.

the only correct response to OP!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol neither RDR2 or Cyberpunk are failures. RDR2 is a fantastic game. Cyberpunk is also a great game but just runs shit on consoles. It's just silly little console kids throwing a shitfit.

FO76 at first was a huge failure but it's actually quite decent now.

Anthem. Now that is the real failure. They are meant to be working on a reboot but nobody really cares.

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

Sorry don't buy it OP.

Top 4 for me:
1) Mass Effect Andromeda
2) Avengers
3) Anthem
4) Fallout 76

Honorable mention: No Man's Sky - It did improve but not to the hype level.

ksdixon

I gotta list WWE 2K20 in there somewhere. In the wake of this broken game, the fans revolted and went back to WWE 2K19. That game was SO BAD, it affected change within the very structure of how 2K approaches WWE Games.

To be fair to him, new WWE2K head Patrick Gilmore managed to pull two rabbits out of his arse in response to this. First he got a gap-year in releases, so WWE 2K22 will have had 2 years of development time instead of 1. And then he managed to get the sharing servers extended for WWE 2K19 until WWE 2K22 gets released. Good guy, so far.

ClosBSAS

ya sorry, i hav eno issues with cyberpunk besides a few bugs. dont see how its a failure.....neither are the other games. if you call them failures cause of bugs then whatever.....i agree with bioware being the biggest failure this generation.

ksdixon

Is it fair to list XBSX's launch lineup situation? I find it incredibly ironic that the company is pushing Backwards Compatability so much, and I'm over here playing SEGA Saturn and DreamCast games on it. Next to zero interest in what XB craps out onto GamePass if I'm honest.

Xyphie

Not the biggest failure but no one has mentioned it so I'll go with The Order 1886. Flopped both commercially and critically. The failure of the game basically killed Ready at Dawn's prospects as an aspiring AAA developer.

Trimesh

Banned
Did Fallout 76 have a semicoherent story?

That's honestly a pretty good description of it. As released there was a story - but it was basically "follow the overseer - except she's dead and so is everyone else she interacted with". The gameplay was boring, the world felt dead and there were so many bugs that CP77 seems highly polished by comparison.

They have fixed most of the most glaring problems - but there is still a bunch of jank in the game that you can't help suspecting was deliberately introduced into the game in an attempt to induce you to buy stuff from the Atomic Shop to try and counteract it.

Matt_Fox

1. Anthem
2. Fallout 76
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. Cyberpunk 2077

what was the biggest fail of them all? out of these 4?

I think this list might be the biggest fail of this generation - you know how many people have enjoyed these games and how much money they've made (and are still making)?!

The obvious one you should have led with is Marvel Avengers, which is estimated to have lost Square Enix £80 million.

thief183

Wow, try playing more games and you may find out that CP 2077 is not a polished diamond after all...

Man, I fking have more than 2000 games btetween steam, and all other store fronts, I can spend 7 to 8 hours a day if I want to play, and still, I think this game is my gotg.

thelastword

Banned
I'd say Red Dead 2 and Cyberpunk OP...If you are going to make an open world game where people play for hours make sure it is fun to play......The bugs alone make cyberpunk a chore to play, add to that the lack of interactivity and poor side missions and mission structure......Then unto RDR2's terrible controls and the general long sleep inducing slog, leaves alot to be desired....I'd add Witcher 3 to that list too for it's terrible combat and camera and buggy launch too....

Then you had Days Gone which was tense and varied in how you approach it, the gameplay was fun because of that....Then you had Tsushima with excellent combat, visuals and upgrades, was just a joy to play everytime, you wanted to spend hours on end slicing mongols up.....Both of these games were rated lower....

Top Bottom