• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 4 failures of the generation

1. Avengers
2. Anthem
3. Destiny..I think we all expected more, and have instead just accepted a low bar.
4. Tomb Raider reboots

Andromeda cant make the list because 3 was eternal shit and it was b team from the start. Sorry you got your hopes up, but not on the list. Maybe what happened to Battlefield has a chance. It went from good to weightless in no time flat.

Also, MGS5, but the sortie theme is damn good. So it cant rank.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
The Division 2 - this followup squandered one of the highest selling new IPs of the generation by not appealing to the diehard ÷1 fans or having the same high art quality to bring in the masses.

Call of Duty 2016 - Infinite Warfare & Modern Warfare Remastered - first time two Call of Duty titles were similar back to back and the first time Activision did not say anything about sales data, even spin. MWR should have been an evergreen hit for Activision but the engine and supply drop system sabotaged it.

Stadia - :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - awful motion blur that's so bad I don't even know if that's the problem with it.

thatsbait.gif

#1 and #2 I get.

But even though RDR2 is one of my top 5 most disappointing games ever, I'd never call it a bad game or a "failure". It was a huge critical and commercial success, in spite of how I feel about it.

I'm only a few hours into CP2077 and I'm enjoying it so far, but it's already reviewed and sold well. I don't see how it can be considered a "failure".

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
The Division 2 - this followup squandered one of the highest selling new IPs of the generation by not appealing to the diehard ÷1 fans or having the same high art quality to bring in the masses.

Call of Duty 2016 - Infinite Warfare & Modern Warfare Remastered - first time two Call of Duty titles were similar back to back and the first time Activision did not say anything about sales data, even spin. MWR should have been an evergreen hit for Activision but the engine and supply drop system sabotaged it.

Stadia - :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - awful motion blur that's so bad I don't even know if that's the problem with it.
inifnite warfare got one of the best campaigns this past generation

eot

Banned
It's a long time ago now, but the Xbox One reveal / pre-release messaging has to be on the list. They fucked it up so bad that they were losing before the consoles even launched.

Trunim

Red Dead 2 is probably the best game in a long time, while Cyberpunk 2077 is the biggest disappointment in a while.

Paltheos

It is not bad no?

Sort of, kind of. I rate FFXV around the same as some of my biggest disappointments in the past few years, but the difference in expectation from reality isn't as big (iow, everyone kinda expected it to suck from the development hell vs. some of these other massively hyped games). So it's not as big a failure in that respect, yeah.

All those games fall on a 4-6 scale for me. FFXV in particular is a decisive 5/10. The bro band rapport and how well they're animated, the big world and road trip of, and a mostly solid OST are the strong points. Most everything else not really. The quests are bland; even the main ones have a problem of disconnectedness where events don't seem to flow naturally and instead were pieced together to finish the thing. It's a bad sign that allot of my interest in the game was novel - This is Final Fantasy XV, the game that had been in development for a decade under many names and people. ... I'll just cut myself off here before I type out a wall of text. It's not bad. It's mediocre-average. It's not even that big of a failure, which is what this topic's about. It's just high profile.

Did your friends inform you:
- The game crashes on base console when driving around town for more than a minute.
- Button prompts to choose conversation options disappearing.
- Sub 15FPS in certain parts of gameplay on base consoles.
- Sub 720p resolution on base Xbox One.
- NPC's and other world objects popping in literally in front of you.
- Map waypoint markers disappearing.
- And a host of other issues.

Check the twitter handle Cyberbug.

It's undoubtedly a promising game. I played some of it last night after update 1.04 on my PS4 Pro and it's somewhat improved but I still cannot drive for more than a minute around Night City (at full speed) and then the game crashes to blue screen.

You CANNOT say a game is great when its performance is utter shit. Otherwise how else is someone supposed to enjoy the thing in the first place when they're faced with various performance related issues and blue screens all day.

Sorry, my dude. We're all mainly PC gamers. The thought hadn't crossed my mind for console. Sounds like it's especially not done in the oven for you guys. Best of luck.

mortal

Gold Member
Red Dead Redemption 2 & Cyberpunk 2077....failures of the generation?

What?

tenor.gif

Ol'Scratch

And here I thought shittake was a mushroom.
Are you trying to compete with the trolls that keeps posting things about Witcher 3 and FFXIV RE being shite over on REE?
Come on now.
RDR2 is phenomenal and still gives, and Cyberpunk 2077 has not even begun to show what it can do but even with the bugs many people are loving it so yeah...

small_law

How has no one brought up Halo 5 yet? Oh that's right, it was so completely forgettable no one ever remembers to mention it on lists like these. Anthem gets more pub, there I said it.

Bioware - It's a disgrace now. Their best franchises, some of the most open-ended and well crafted WRPGs are now worthless and their hot new IP was a hot new piece of shit. Anyone that blew their load over the Mass Effect trailer at TGA needs to do themselves a favor and play all of Bioware's games in the order they released. You'll find a pattern as time moves forward.

343 Industries - They dragged Microsoft's biggest IP into shit city and made it into a laughing stock. If you told me seven years ago that the most popular game with Master Chief in it in 2020 was going to be Fortnite I would never have believed it. I still kind of don't believe it. Why Fortnite but not Smash? Then again we don't have Halo Lego, but Halo Megablocks. The marketing team at 343 sucks.

Stadia - It was a disgrace before it even launched. Even people I know that enjoy sucking Google dick, knowingly fill their house with Google spyware devices and buy Chromebooks have conceded that it's garbage.

The video game industry, in particular the hardware distribution - All the new consoles launched this year. Wanted one at or near launch? Too bad. A bunch of new PC hardware just launched. You want some? Too bad. Go check Ebay I guess.

I was going to mention Avengers, but I honestly expected it to be hot garbage from the first screenshots.

Calling CP 2077 a failure is laughable seeing as it made back it's budget with pre-orders. The only people crying about it are mostly upset because their trash cans can't even run the gimped version of the game well.

RDR2 is exactly what RDR1 was, but more of it, anyone that didn't see that coming hasn't paid attention to Rockstar's history. It's no failure, it's just not revolutionary in any way when it comes to gameplay.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1. Anthem
2. Fallout 76
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. Cyberpunk 2077

what was the biggest fail of them all? out of these 4?
get some help. rdr2 and cyberpunk are going to end up as two of the best selling AND most praised titles of the generation. 98 and 91 metacritic. numerous goty awards. probably 30 million copies sold.

Yeah can't agree with RDR2 or Cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk may be a technical mess, but when it works...it works. Amazing atmosphere and world creation beyond even some of the best.

RDR2 is a beautiful game and a technical marvel on it's own. A nice slow burn of a story that really kind of takes Rockstar games in the direction I like. I.E, none of the silly and just super crude garbage. People complain about the gameplay, but honestly once the more weighty and animation focused gunplay settled with me it was fine. Maybe a fault of the game, but I rarely had to interact with subsystems I did'nt like.

ZehDon

Gold Member
So the backlash and negative reports is unwarranted ?

This is easily the most disastrous big game release of the last few years. Not even Anthem (as fucked up as it was) had this many issues when it launched.
Negative reports of an individuals experience? Sure - bugs, unacceptable performance issues, and game-breaking issues aren't something to be quiet about. The OG Xbone version is not OK and is in bad need of immediate work from the developer. But - calling the launch a disaster in a low-effort troll thread in a year when Avengers launched is simply more than a little reaching. Anthem was and is a disaster if and when it works. Avengers was and is a disaster if and when it works. Fallout 76 was and is a disaster if and when it works. Cyberpunk 2077 is rocky for some people on some platforms, but when it works, it's utterly brilliant. Massive difference from my perspective.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFXV and Death Stranding are failures? What drugs are you on?

Anyway these are the failures:

1. Fallout 76
2. Avengers
3. Anthem
4. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

bender

What time is it?
Nice troll.
My list (serious):
1. Anthem
2. Avengers
3. Metal Gear Survive
4. Fifa and NBA games

I'm not saying it is good or anything, but Survive feels underrated by the masses. Maybe I just really like playing games in that engine.

Ol'Scratch

Excellent thread grenade. Pull the pin and hit Submit and sit back and watch without making another post. I would do a tag quote but this was honestly rather low effort.

Coconutt

None of the games on your list, clearly the worst failure of the generation is Marvels Avengers. How can you screwup so bad with an IP that is so loved, and has already proven to make billions with their movies, it did alright saleswise but losing over 90% of your player base in the span of 2 months is just pathetic.

TheMan

Cyberpunk has major issues but listing it next to Anthem is sheer lunacy. FO76 had a poor launch but some of the post-launch support has been relatively well-received.

So I'd say anthem is the biggest failure since it's relaunch probably wont' even get off the ground
RDR2 and Cyberpunk don't belong on the list.

Last edited:

PSlayer

Where is The Avengers?
Where is Mass effect andromeda?
Where is no man sky?
Where is Evolve?

Cyberpunk 2077 and Red dead Redemption 2 are good games that were kind of buggy at realease but they are not complete disasters

P.S. No man sky got really better after all those years but it doesn't change the fact that they released a barebones game while promising the moon.

Fbh

In what sense?

Quality? Probably Anthem, but that one looked like shit in every showing except that first fake one so it wasn't surprising.

Compared to my expectations?
Probably Red Dead 2 since to me it was just a beautiful game with a nice story....that was really boring to play.

Just in general ignoring your list?
FFXV. Unfinished game, revealed with a fake trailer, with probably the worst plot out of any mainline entry, mediocre combat, probably the worst bosses of any mainline entry, mostly bad sidequests and dated open world design.

Last edited:

begotten

Metal Gear Solid 5 is the biggest failure of this generation. Especially when you consider all of the collateral damage that Kojima caused through it.

Bit of daylight before the next handful of titles too.

Negative reports of an individuals experience? Sure - bugs, unacceptable performance issues, and game-breaking issues aren't something to be quiet about. The OG Xbone version is not OK and is in bad need of immediate work from the developer. But - calling the launch a disaster in a low-effort troll thread in a year when Avengers launched is simply more than a little reaching. Anthem was and is a disaster if and when it works. Avengers was and is a disaster if and when it works. Fallout 76 was and is a disaster if and when it works. Cyberpunk 2077 is rocky for some people on some platforms, but when it works, it's utterly brilliant. Massive difference from my perspective.
Hard to disagree with your post especially regarding Avengers but Cyberpunk is a disaster of a launch.

Sony and Xbox are issuing refunds.
Cyberpunk management is issuing bonuses regardless of critical reception.
Metacritic user scores is in the gutter.
There's a trending Cyberbug twitter handle showing off a myriad of issues.
and we all know of the abysmal performance on base consoles.

From an established developer that brought us Witcher 3 this is a disastrous launch whichever way you cut it. The game has a lot of good going for it and I enjoy it when it works but its undercooked. It needed more dev time. Now we are going to have to sit through months of patches to get it to an acceptable, playable state.
After 2 patches the game is still fucked on PS4 Pro and the frustrating thing is i want to play it. I really want to play it but every few minutes I am met with a blue screen.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Hard to disagree with your post especially regarding Avengers but Cyberpunk is a disaster of a launch.

Sony and Xbox are issuing refunds.
Cyberpunk management is issuing bonuses regardless of critical reception.
Metacritic user scores is in the gutter.
There's a trending Cyberbug twitter handle showing off a myriad of issues.
and we all know of the abysmal performance on base consoles.

From an established developer that brought us Witcher 3 this is a disastrous launch whichever way you cut it. The game has a lot of good going for it and I enjoy it when it works but its undercooked. It needed more dev time. Now we are going to have to sit through months of patches to get it to an acceptable, playable state.
After 2 patches the game is still fucked on PS4 Pro and the frustrating thing is i want to play it. I really want to play it but every few minutes I am met with a blue screen.
I suppose we're just differing in our description of a disaster, and it's not for me to tell you what your words mean. So, a disaster is, to me, un-recoverable. Avengers is done. Anthem is done. Fallout 76 is done. They were DOA. That's a disaster to me. Nothing - nothing - is bringing those games back and getting them to 10/10 status. Six months from now, every Cyberpunk issue is going to be addressed, and the game will be able to be enjoyed in full. I can't argue that the game didn't need more time, because it's the truth: it did. This should've launched six months from now. But, because I'm enjoying the game without the issues other people are experiencing, I can see the game that they're going to get when the dust settles. And its fastly becoming the best game I've ever played. That was never true for Avengers, Anthem, or Fallout. They weren't greatness, hidden beneath bugs. They were dog-shit the day they were announced. Cyberpunk is enthralling; it just needs more time in the oven. I don't consider that a disaster - premature, maybe, but not a disaster.

Mabdia

Well... nobody will like what i have to say...

1 - The Last of US part 2 ( Divided the fanbase of a universal acclaimed game

2 - Spider Man (same problem with tlou2, good gameplay, story sucks to me

3 - EA ( Only one good game in this gen. That was released last year, I guess.

4 - MS Don't get me wrong. When you compare the MS from Xbox or Xbox 360 era with Xbox One era, they are 2 different beasts. As a Playstation fan, i wish to see MS to be like that MS from 2000 to 2009. They keept the fighting against Sony as hard as possible and that was good aroud that time.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
1. The Avengers
2. Anthem
3. Fallout 76

Imotekh

I feel like, more broadly speaking, there really wasn't a truly great RPG in the gen.

The decline of Bioware and Bethesda is a sad one but hopefully lessons will be learned.

Top Bottom