• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 4 failures of the generation

Paltheos

A little quick to call Cyberpunk a failure, no? Seems fine (from what little I've played so far), but I've heard some stuff gets buggy, which my friends inform me is something CDPR usually keeps on top of.

Bigger failures that come to mind are Final Fantasy XV and Star Ocean 5. Oh right. Yooka-Laylee. Oof.

Edit: OH RIGHT. Super Mario Odyssey, but that's a mega unpopular position.

Last edited:

Lethal01

A little quick to call Cyberpunk a failure, no? Seems fine (from what little I've played so far), but I've heard some stuff gets buggy, which my friends inform me is something CDPR usually keeps on top of.

Bigger failures that come to mind are Final Fantasy XV and Star Ocean 5. Oh right. Yooka-Laylee. Oof.

Nah, it runs like absolute hot garbage on PS4 and Xbox One X. That's a failure

Bridges

Demigod of Troll Threads, eh?

I think we need a better definition of what you consider a failure. Red Dead 2 really doesn't qualify by any metric. Cyberpunk has performance issues but it seems to have already made a boatload of money and people still like it so, failure? Bit harsh. Even Fallout 76 managed to push out enough updates to keep a devoted following, didn't set the world on fire (heh) but it seems to be doing just fine. Anthem, sure.

Kinect was a bigger failure this generation than anything on your list though.

Bkdk

1. Purposely make female characters look ugly for many western games

2.No improvement in AI, few improvements in physics.

3. Even less developers support robust modding.

4.BioWare

I bet 1, 2 and 3 will just continue while 4 will cease to exist before the end of this new generation.

YuLY

Avengers ? Horizon at launch on PC ? Disintegration, Radical Heights, Lawbreakers etc etc

Remove Cyberpunk from that list before you embarrass yourself further. :messenger_weary:

Tranquil

RDR 2 is absolutely not a failure.

Cyberpunk needs more time, they rushed the release even with all the delays, although I agree it's a failure on base PS4 and Xbone.

brian0057

Banned
Wait.
What metric are we using here? Sales? Review scores? Profit? Development cost?

If we're talking bombs, there's:
  • Death Stranding.
  • Anthem.
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda.
  • Fallout 76.
  • Avengers (Fuck this game and fuck Square Enix for shelving Deus Ex in lieu of this piece of shit).

Woggleman

RDR2 might have been somewhat divisive but overall it was a big success and many people loved it.

Cyberpunk 2077 a year from now will be looked at much much better when it is all patched up. They will pull a Days Gone on this game. You can quote me on that.

The other two I agree with.

Another failure is the way many gamers themselves act.

Last edited:

Nikoran

Neo Member
A little early to say Cyberpunk is a failure. And I don't even know if you could call it a failure with all things considered. Sure, It's not what some people were expecting, but I think it has had success in the few days since it's launched.

I would have to say Anthem. Fallout 76 has somewhat made its way back from the absolute shit show of it's launch, I think. You don't really hear much about Anthem today, even more so than when it launched.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Avengers comes to mind. Imagine having a game with all of that IP at your disposal and still failing abysmally (while Deus Ex died for it).

RDR2 and Cyberpunk however do not.

sobaka770

Banned
WTF is this? In what way are RDR2 and Cyberpunk failures?

Falloiut 76, Anthem, ME Andromeda and Warcraft Reforged.

Alan Wake

I didn't enjoy RDR2 that much gameplay wise, but it's a hell of a technical masterpiece and has nothing to do on a failure list. Not commercially either, obviously.

Shrennin

Mass Effect Andromeda is a good one. That one really hurt because Mass Effect is one of my favorite franchises.

At least it didn't kill Mass Effect though.

Let's just put BioWare there, actually. :(

Here's hoping BioWare comes back to form this generation.

SCB3

If you include Fallout 76 on here you have to include No Man's Sky

But only Anthem deserves a place on this list, the rest are fine, even Fallout after the wastelanders update

Shrennin

If you include Fallout 76 on here you have to include No Man's Sky

But only Anthem deserves a place on this list, the rest are fine, even Fallout after the wastelanders update

I’ll have to give Fallout another try. I have heard it is so much better after the Wastelanders update, even heard it’s now better than Fallout 4. Not sure if that’s hyperbole though... and Fallout 4 isn’t the best Fallout anyway.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Anthem is a failure, the other games you listed are just not, objectively. Fallout 76 actually sold really well, even at launch, is still extremely popular, and gets regular content updates. Andrew Wilson would kill someone to get Anthem up to F76's level.

Shrennin

Uhh Destiny?

Destiny was clearly successful, but for me personally? I can agree with this. It was supposed to be the next big game all my friends and I would play. To say it was a disappointment in that regard is putting it lightly.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The biggest failure of the generation is BioWare. Mass effect Andromeda and Anthem both hit DOA. They are the biggest failures.

No mans sky was a huge disappointment but from what I read it recovered, I am not playing it though

RDR2 is an achievement. Not a failure. That is a dumb take to call it a failure.
Cyberpunk isn’t a failure either. It is fine on the PC. And will get better on the consoles.

Top Bottom