• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 4 failures of the generation

Miles708

I noticed now the OP asked the worst of these 4.
In this case, Anthem by every metric. 2 of them have been successful despite their rough launch, while the other one (RDR2) actually made billions of dollars.

On the other hand, Anthem made little money, had a rough launch, rough patches, rough reception, rough dev cycle and no one actually liked it very much. This is objectively a failure on all sides.

Last edited:

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
On the other hand, Anthem made little money, had a rough launch, rough patches, rough reception, rough dev cycle and no one actually liked it very much. This is objectively a failure on all sides.

Also, I doubt it’ll have a FFXIV style rebirth either, despite that promise.

That whole game was full of broken promises, actually.

Last edited:

Alphagear

LOL at RDR2 and Cyberpunk being there. Much bigger failures come to mind.

Anthem, Fallout 76, Elders scroll online and Hyper scape come to mind.

1. Anthem
2. Fallout 76
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. Cyberpunk 2077

what was the biggest fail of them all? out of these 4?

Why is RDR2, a massively successful game in both sales and reception, on this list instead of Avengers?

The list should be

1. Anthem
2. Fallout 76
3. Avengers
4. OP's attempt to remove his head from his ass.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. Cyberpunk 2077

tenor.gif

none of them.

tho i'd argue that someting like Fallout 76 should be HUGE. and it didn't land. But whens the last time they made a good Fallout game anyway.

Anthem is a new IP. and sold decent and had a passable campaign. It just failed as a Gaas. Did Fallout 76 have a semicoherent story?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Destiny was clearly successful, but for me personally? I can agree with this. It was supposed to be the next big game all my friends and I would play. To say it was a disappointment in that regard is putting it lightly.

Bungee still hasn't come close to what they promised with the original game in destiny 2.

Shrennin

Haven't played it so don't know how good it is but did it meet expectations? I don't think so. ES has a loyal fanbase and I reckon people would play it irrespective.

When it released it had its problems, but it was updated and fixed pretty quickly and now stands high among great Elder Scrolls experiences.

Bungee still hasn't come close to what they promised with the original game in destiny 2.

Bungie is sadly a shell of their former self. The only thing they still do exceptionally well are gun play and sky boxes.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Nothing can top Andromeda. Nothing. It was absolutely disgusting what they did with that game and how they butchered that franchise which frankly has maybe the best continuous story for a trilogy. They had the next star wars (at least for VG) on their hands, even better in fact, but they screwed it all up.

Diablo 3 was in that same vein but it had been too long since D2 & PoE was around so it hurt a lot less, plus we knew very clearly what Blizz became. By the time Reforged hit, it's shocking it was so low quality, but again the name Blizz stopped meaning what it was sometime before Overwatch launched, so it was expected it would be shit.

As for Cyberpunk, mixed feelings all in all, but I don't think it will end up there, even though it's very rudimentary in its gameplay & even the writing. It's just a game that needed 2-3 more years of development and I don't mean for squashing bugs, but actually building out more of the game. It's very clear that it wasn't enough time to really do justice to the ambition they had for it. There's still great promise there & night city is an incredible place. It just needs more work.

Cyberpunk I can almost kind of see just based on how the game runs on base consoles, but it's still a financial success and I'm loving it on my Series X where it runs just fine. RDR2 is one of the most critically acclaimed and best selling games ever so I don't really see how that's a failure in any way of thinking aside from some internet people complaining about the controls. Fallout 76 sucks (at lest it did, I haven't played it much since launch) but from what I've read they've at least somewhat managed to turn the game around into something some people enjoy and it sold fine.

Of those only Anthem is a real failure. Shit reviews, shit sales, not many people seem to like it much. And there hasn't been much of an update on the relaunch or whatever and I think the guy heading that just got put on Dragon Age so who knows where that's going.

SCB3

Destiny was clearly successful, but for me personally? I can agree with this. It was supposed to be the next big game all my friends and I would play. To say it was a disappointment in that regard is putting it lightly.

The biggest new IP of the generation, how is that a failure?

Shrennin

The biggest new IP of the generation, how is that a failure?

I mean, I prefaced it “Destiny was clearly successful...”

I don’t know how you took my post to mean anything beyond speaking on a personal level since I mention that?

Halo

Since the release of Halo 4 in 2012, there has been one new Halo game. The console's mascot Master Chief appeared in 4 or 5 levels of the game. Maybe an hour and a half of gameplay for a console's mascot in an entire generation...

Miles708

Also, I doubt it’ll have a FFXIV style rebirth either, despite that promise.

That whole game was full of broken promises, actually.
It would require a total reboot of the project.
And on a new IP, I find that very difficult.

I think it's dead for good, and no one will really miss it that much.

1. Anthem
2. Fallout 76
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. Cyberpunk 2077

what was the biggest fail of them all? out of these 4?
You mean, your personal disappointments? I don't know much about games 1 and 2 sales-wise, but games 3 and 4 are critical and commercial successes.

Cyberpunk is shaping up to be one of the games of the generation for me, just wow.

HoodWinked

Threads like this really make disappointed in the knowledge of some neogaf posters. I'd expect better from a forum dedicated to gaming. This is such a poorly conceived list.

Hudo

Well if we talk about "Disappointments of the generation" then mine would be:
(Meaning that those were games I anticipated and disappointed me. Stuff like Witcher 3 didn't disappoint because I didn't anticipate them anyway)

1. Destiny 1 & 2
2. WarCraft III: Reforged
3. Final Fantasy XV
4. Mass Effect: Andromeda

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
I think people got it right:

1. Anthem (by far, probably the biggest videogame failure in a long long time)

wait

wait

wait

2. Avengers (messy and people dropped it, Square Enix lost 40+ million on it)
3. Battlefield V (not just because of the messy launch and the terrible politics, but they were actually able to kill it finally by even more stupid decisions and terrible balancing)
4. Warcraft Reforged (terrible mess)
5. Mass Effect: Andromeda (almost killed the franchise and was dropped fast. How did the character models look worse than in Mass Effect 3)

I would add Fallout 76 if it was only after the launch, but they still create content, still has quite a big player base. You may not like it, but unlike the other games, it is far from dead.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
No Man Sky

Really?

I played No Man's Sky for at least 200+ hours in the last few months and it is really good. Way more to do than in Elite for example and there is so much stuff to find and do.

Maybe it was bad a few years ago, but buying it now is worth every dollar and it looks gorgeous after the Next Gen patch.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
RDR2 ? Are you crazy?
For me the biggest is Cyberpunk and No Man Sky

It was boring, clunky, way too long, so linear wrong turns end missions, and once you got over the fact it was the Red Dead you were waiting for the reality sets it that everything was created just to sell shit on Red Dead Online and the story was an afterthought.

Last edited:

checkcola

We're just talking software, not hardware? I'm sure you can look to all sorts of live services, Avengers being the most recent.

iorek21

Bear in mind that I'm judging the following games for their releases, not considering post-launch fixes.

- Everything Bioware
- Destiny 1/2
- Avengers
- Fallout 76
- No Man's Sky
- Evolve
- Watch Dogs
- Assassin's Creed Unity
- Crackdown 3
- Sea of Thieves
- Metal Gear Survive
- Telltale games managing to go bankrupt

I don't know if I'll add Cyberpunk on this list, probably not.

A little quick to call Cyberpunk a failure, no? Seems fine (from what little I've played so far), but I've heard some stuff gets buggy, which my friends inform me is something CDPR usually keeps on top of.

Bigger failures that come to mind are Final Fantasy XV and Star Ocean 5. Oh right. Yooka-Laylee. Oof.

Edit: OH RIGHT. Super Mario Odyssey, but that's a mega unpopular position.
Did your friends inform you:
- The game crashes on base console when driving around town for more than a minute.
- Button prompts to choose conversation options disappearing.
- Sub 15FPS in certain parts of gameplay on base consoles.
- Sub 720p resolution on base Xbox One.
- NPC's and other world objects popping in literally in front of you.
- Map waypoint markers disappearing.
- And a host of other issues.

Check the twitter handle Cyberbug.

It's undoubtedly a promising game. I played some of it last night after update 1.04 on my PS4 Pro and it's somewhat improved but I still cannot drive for more than a minute around Night City (at full speed) and then the game crashes to blue screen.

You CANNOT say a game is great when its performance is utter shit. Otherwise how else is someone supposed to enjoy the thing in the first place when they're faced with various performance related issues and blue screens all day.

This is easily the worst stealth “Shit on Cyberpunk thread” I’ve read this weekend. And brother, there’s been a few.
So the backlash and negative reports is unwarranted ?

This is easily the most disastrous big game release of the last few years. Not even Anthem (as fucked up as it was) had this many issues when it launched.

Top Bottom