• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The $299 XBOX Series S is an Emulation Beast | MVG

Yeah, that's what I meant. When you have your console in DEV mode, you can run anything. That's why emulators like these are not distributed through official channels, rather you have to put them on some website, where you download them. These apps, are never going to be on official store.

Can you update and use the console as normal in dev mode? I know if you jailbroke your Wii U or Wii you couldn't update. But I guess this is different?

MarkMe2525

That is pretty awesome. 300 bucks for a silent emulation machine that can emulate everything up to PS2/Gamecube games? Cool. I wonder if microsoft somehow removes that function with a future update or if they are going to tolerate it.
It would be strange for them to remove this feature at this point, it has been around for many years.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Can you update and use the console as normal in dev mode? I know if you jailbroke your Wii U or Wii you couldn't update. But I guess this is different?
Yeah it's different, you buy a pass, and basically there is going to be app in apps called DevMode and when you clicked on it, there is going to be a button with "Restart to dev mode", you click on it, it restarts a console and then you are able to run your unsigned apps. When you are going to get bored of that, same app as in previously are going to be there and again button with "Restart to game mode" and click, restart and you are in normal mode. Hope that explains it.

Yeah it's different, you buy a pass, and basically there is going to be app in apps called DevMode and when you clicked on it, there is going to be a button with "Restart to dev mode", you click on it, it restarts a console and then you are able to run your unsigned apps. When you are going to get bored of that, same app as in previously are going to be there and again button with "Restart to game mode" and click, restart and you are in normal mode. Hope that explains it.

Awesome - thanks!

So this is a thing on the Xbox One X also? I have one collecting dust and I might actually use it if I can do this on there.

M1chl

Awesome - thanks!

So this is a thing on the Xbox One X also? I have one collecting dust and I might actually use it if I can do this on there.
Yes, it's X1X also, but also shitty CPU. However your purchase of dev mode can be took to new Xbox if you set the account where you purchase it as a home one. So you are not going to waste $$$

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Is the pass per user or per console?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Per user, but dev mode can be only "unlocked" when that account is on home console, so basically you cannot run mutliple consoles on dev mode with single purchase.

So this does disable the ability to game share with someone that isnt yourself?

lucius

How much is shield, for comparison. I cannot buy one here, so I dunno...

About $200 I got mine with controller for less since they were clearing out the version 2 , actually the tube one might be cheaper . You can use DS4 or Xbox bluetooth with it I just wanted the audio port, but wireless headphones work fine with it too.

M1chl

Any word on getting those retro-bit official Saturn controllers working with this?
You probably have to use it just the Xbox controller, you don't get acces to more devices in dev mode...

Can you help me? I'm high and I can't focus on the screen.
Yeah sure, where you at with this? by the way, have you tried to watch this vid?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah sure, where you at with this? by the way, have you tried to watch this vid?
I cleared up space and downloaded the Dev Mode Activation on XSS. It gave me a code and I followed the URL. Am I supposed to buy this $19.00usd Windows Individual Developer License, or is there a separate one for Xbox?

I wonder if MS can start selling XSX or XSS as PCs - I mean it is basically steam machines - with Windows OS. It is basically Steam Machines at this point.

M1chl

I cleared up space and downloaded the Dev Mode Activation on XSS. It gave me a code and I followed the URL. Am I supposed to buy this $19.00usd Windows Individual Developer License, or is there a separate one for Xbox?
Yeah that is it, or on this link and after you are register and pay, you enter the code in "devices" section of dev profile and you are going to be set.

I wonder if MS can start selling XSX or XSS as PCs - I mean it is basically steam machines - with Windows OS. It is basically Steam Machines at this point.
They would then be far more expesive though, this subsidized by cost of games.

Last edited:

lucius

The Shield doesn't play Wii and Gamecube games that great last I checked, the original Wii connected HDMI converter with a wireless Wavebird is better, but playing this with an Elite series 2 option and since its pretty small quiet would be interesting.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah that is it, or on this link and after you are register and pay, you enter the code in "devices" section of dev profile and you are going to be set.
I bought the license and activated the XSS on my developer account. The XSS itself is stuck on the screen "Almost There", "You're almost ready for dev, but first we need to update your Xbox. After the update, come back and you'll be able to switch." I don't know what update they're talking about. Restarted a couple times. Same deal. It's probably just reticulating splines. I'll give it a bit.

Last edited:

M1chl

I bought the license and activated the XSS on my developer account. The XSS itself is stuck on the screen "Almost There", "You're almost ready for dev, but first we need to update your Xbox. After the update, come back and you'll be able to switch." I don't know what update they're talking about. Restarted a couple times. Same deal. It's probably just reticulating splines. I'll give it a bit.
Damn, that I don't know, I am waiting for my Xbox, I am not sure what it does do. It went fine with my X1X like 2 years ago...

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Damn, that I don't know, I am waiting for my Xbox, I am not sure what it does do. It went fine with my X1X like 2 years ago...
It was some retarded problem that some random guy named SquareBananas had the solution to...
Squarebananas-1190 · Sep 02 at 3:47 AM

I was having the same issue. However I've managed to activate dev mode through the hidden developer settings menu rather than the dev mode activation app. To access the hidden menu go to Settings > System > Console Info > Press LB RB LT RT > Developer Settings > Developer Mode
I'm in Dev Mode Now. I'm watching that video but I'm losing focus. I think doing this could be helpful to other people trying out. Already 1 bullshit problem solved.

*EDIT 1* I downloaded the UWP version of RetroArch(comes as 410MB .appxbundle file). I'm transferring it over right now.

*EDIT 2* Ok. It's loaded on the XSS and I ran it successfully. I wonder how I'm supposed to add roms? Probably have to rebuild the package. I'll have to research.

Last edited:

th4tguy

I know this video focuses on the series s but is this possible on series x? Wouldn't we get much better performance out of the series x?

M1chl

I know this video focuses on the series s but is this possible on series x? Wouldn't we get much better performance out of the series x?
Most likely it's going to be same, because emulation is often CPU bound, so not really. Anyway procedure is the same, but in some bordeline cases, there is going to be some margina improvement on X...

scalman

run some older systems emulators that my phone can do as well, i mean fully hacked to run like older xbox games enhanced as it can do officially.

M1chl

run some older systems emulators that my phone can do as well, i mean fully hacked to run like older xbox games enhanced as it can do officially.
Phone are shit with on screen buttons tho and taking controller everywhere is in-convenient...

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Got it running! This is so cool I was able to just add games to an external thumbdrive and you can use a wireless KB/M unit on the XSS, too. I'll upload some videos later. Man, I don't know how much access they give you to hardware, but the CPU in the XSS is a monster and most heavy emulation relies on having a strong CPU. Need WiiU and PS3 support. That would be fucking rad.
dOoxyrw.jpg

M1chl

Got it running! This is so cool I was able to just add games to an external thumbdrive and you can use a wireless KB/M unit on the XSS, too. I'll upload some videos later. Man, I don't know how much access they give you to hardware, but the CPU in the XSS is a monster and most heavy emulation relies on having a strong CPU. Need WiiU and PS3 support. That would be fucking rad.
dOoxyrw.jpg
Hey create then a thread about this, it's way more interesting when Gaffer does this, nice job! :lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire:

TLZ

Banned
NOICE!!

I wonder if the games would perform better on the SX? Or are the emulators all CPU bound, so same performance between the two?

Jigga

If you ask me MS should have marketed the SX as something like the 'Xbox L' (legacy) that offered nothing but 100% OG, 360 and XBO emulation with an unfortunate design oversight that allows easy homebrew emulation for all previous gen consoles/computers. Just that, cut out SX compatibility altogether and sell it as a little budget box of shady magic.
Xbox L is the perfect name for that console lol

People are not watching this and talking nonsense. Dev mode dose not give full access to hw. It very limited so we won't see switch or ps3 emu on this untill it gets hacked or ms allows emus on store.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm still having trouble getting the GCN going, but after updating the core files and assets, PPSSPP now works with Tekken 6, but not FF: Crisis Core. It's running basically 1080p internal res with x16 AF and highest texture upscaling and aside from some choppiness at the fight countdown, it runs great and looks pretty good, too. I think that stuttering just happens on this game in PPSSPP regardless of platform.

kSsukbT.jpg

M1chl

I'm still having trouble getting the GCN going, but after updating the core files and assets, PPSSPP now works with Tekken 6, but not FF: Crisis Core. It's running basically 1080p internal res with x16 AF and highest texture upscaling and aside from some choppiness at the fight countdown, it runs great and looks pretty good, too. I think that stuttering just happens on this game in PPSSPP regardless of platform.

kSsukbT.jpg
There is something about that on reddit:
Disable texture scaling if you have it active as that's primary cause of stutter due to how heavy it is(it doesn't feel heavy due to limitations and spread of the work to multiply frames, but depending on game it noticeably ruins smoothness even on top end multicore cpu's).

FPS is flawed measure that can be less smoth at higher rates on different hardware/drivers and even in native PC games the proper way to see what's happening and how smooth games are actually is frametime that is how long it takes to draw each frame. PPSSPP has an option like that which even shows graphically weight of each work, but official releases aren't built with it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
If it's only emulating up to PS1/2 stuff then any cheap old mini pc can do the same thing just as well. Pretty expensive way to play those old games.

M1chl

Nice now to see if Drop Box deleted my stash of RO...My legally purchased backups.
Good luck : )

If it's only emulating up to PS1/2 stuff then any cheap old mini pc can do the same thing just as well. Pretty expensive way to play those old games.
Some people don't have PCs and this is possibly already owned device in your living room.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But this has the advantage of having an awesome controller that's purpose built for the hardware, wireless networking, and a fairly robust CPU. The equivalent desktop CPU would cost about $150-$200 alone. Maybe that would be a waste for a purpose-built emulation box, but $300 is not that huge of an ask for what you're getting (I think that's the point of the video in the OP).

It also plays next-gen Xbox games.

Top Bottom