• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The $299 XBOX Series S is an Emulation Beast | MVG

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Something little positive about this little machine.

We already have our very own Gaffer doing this:
Got it running! This is so cool I was able to just add games to an external thumbdrive and you can use a wireless KB/M unit on the XSS, too. I'll upload some videos later. Man, I don't know how much access they give you to hardware, but the CPU in the XSS is a monster and most heavy emulation relies on having a strong CPU. Need WiiU and PS3 support. That would be fucking rad.
dOoxyrw.jpg

This is what it actually looks like. I'm gonna figure out how to get some respectable footage tonight. Need a real camera.
kSsukbT.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if the trouble I'm having launching GCN and some PSP games has to do with launching from USB?

*BONUS*

Now playing...
RUYqLMP.jpg

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
If you ask me MS should have marketed the SX as something like the 'Xbox L' (legacy) that offered nothing but 100% OG, 360 and XBO emulation with an unfortunate design oversight that allows easy homebrew emulation for all previous gen consoles/computers. Just that, cut out SX compatibility altogether and sell it as a little budget box of shady magic.

Last edited:

M1chl

If you ask me MS should have marketed the SX as something like the 'Xbox L' (legacy) that offered nothing but 100% OG, 360 and XBO emulation with an unfortunate design oversight that allows easy homebrew emulation for all previous gen consoles/computers. Just that, cut out SX compatibility altogether and sell it as a little box of shady magic.
Yeah well then it would cost like, I don't know 5-600 USD and nobody would buy that... I think the price is so low, because they subsidize the price with services/games, etc...

GenericUser

That is pretty awesome. 300 bucks for a silent emulation machine that can emulate everything up to PS2/Gamecube games? Cool. I wonder if microsoft somehow removes that function with a future update or if they are going to tolerate it.

M1chl

That is pretty awesome. 300 bucks for a silent emulation machine that can emulate everything up to PS2/Gamecube games? Cool. I wonder if microsoft somehow removes that function with a future update or if they are going to tolerate it.
No they won't remove it, because there is EULA there, which basically saying that you are responsible what you running on the machine, not them.

MagnesG

Banned
Well it's existing feature from X1 : )

Well, I have estimated date of arrival at 10th of December, so we will see, waiting sucks.
I'm aware of the Dev mode but certainly didn't expect Series SX suddenly having a real advantage in its ability for emulation. I feel like this could blew up much more in the long run, with a running community on its own.

M1chl

You mean once you put the machine into dev mode?
Yeah, that's what I meant. When you have your console in DEV mode, you can run anything. That's why emulators like these are not distributed through official channels, rather you have to put them on some website, where you download them. These apps, are never going to be on official store.

Dane

That's obviously not something which ever can happend. Unless there is going to be some 3rd party store on Xbox...

Its actually a kinda grey zone, the TNavigator and other apps were actually sold on Microsoft Store which allows developers uploads UWP apps which works both on Windows and Xbox.

GenericUser

Yeah, that's what I meant. When you have your console in DEV mode, you can run anything. That's why emulators like these are not distributed through official channels, rather you have to put them on some website, where you download them. These apps, are never going to be on official store.
Relly cool! Not gonna lie, this could be the very reason for me to pick up a xbox one s. Wonder if the machine will be able to emulate the wiiU. Imagine playing BOTW on an xbox.

M1chl

Its actually a kinda grey zone, the TNavigator and other apps were actually sold on Microsoft Store which allows developers uploads UWP apps which works both on Windows and Xbox.
That's within the app itself? TNavigator shows me some Flow Dynamic software, so not sure what I can make of that : )

Relly cool! Not gonna lie, this could be the very reason for me to pick up a xbox one s. Wonder if the machine will be able to emulate the wiiU. Imagine playing BOTW on an xbox.
Wii U is not yet available, probably not retro enough:

However if there is some Wii U emulator with code, you probably can just load up the repo and compile it yourself, granted if it does not use some low level functions which does not have libraries on Xbox...

Nice to see dev mode carries over from Xbox One, with the power of Series S I don't think it would have any issues handling Wii U, Switch or PS3 emulation if it ever got added to RetroArch.

Not a bad option for an emulation box either way, and you can jump between dev mode and retail (normal) freely.

M1chl

Nice to see dev mode carries over from Xbox One, with the power of Series S I don't think it would have any issues handling Wii U, Switch or PS3 emulation if it ever got added to RetroArch.

Not a bad option for an emulation box either way, and you can jump between dev mode and retail (normal) freely.
Not sure about those, emulation give a big overhead to the power needs.

M1chl

Okay. So the best thing going for this console is the fact it plays old games. Can I please get a next-gen system that has next-gen games to play?
🙄

You see, you can hit up my bois in this thread and complain there:

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's obviously not something which never can happend. Unless there is going to be some 3rd party store on Xbox...

The Xbox platform can run Windows apps natively through whatever framework MS has (UWP?) and be placed on the store.

It is how we got Plex and stuff like that on the Xbox One, maybe it will sneak in with some app at some point.

Last edited:
Apparently RetroArch is working on that, but PS1 games are already playable, it's in the vid.
Oh, yeah. I thought it from PC video or something.

I think MS should create a virtual machine with dev mode that can be run as an application from main Xbox UI. Would be nice.

Last edited:

lucius

Nice looks better than Sheild, I dont like going through Retroarch can get better results running things without it

M1chl

The Xbox platform can run Windows apps natively through whatever framework MS has (UWP?) and be placed on the store.

It is how we got Plex and stuff like that on the Xbox One, maybe it will sneak in with some app at some point.
Well but in that case you cannot easily upload your ROMs I guess, even if that would work from store.

Oh, yeah. I thought it from PC video or something.

I think MS should create a virtual machine with dev mode that can be run as an application from main Xbox UI. Would be nice.
Well it's such a small think to do is restart a console, which takes few seconds on this machines, that I don't see a problem of being it like this. I also think you cannot really access the non-protected partition, where your ROMs are...

splattered

Damn Saturn and Dreamcast emulation look great! They don't even need to buy Sega now they already got it on their box haha

I might actually try this... worried about getting banned for playing ROMS though. If its a non issue there is a Wester Digital 14tb external USB hard drive at best buy for like $180 or $190 right now...

M1chl

Damn Saturn and Dreamcast emulation look great! They don't even need to buy Sega now they already got it on their box haha

I might actually try this... worried about getting banned for playing ROMS though. If its a non issue there is a Wester Digital 14tb external USB hard drive at best buy for like $180 or $190 right now...
If you are in DEV mode, you are only on testing part of Xbox Live, so that means, you are not going to get banned for this. You cannot use XBL as you would in normal mode. I tried to do some podcast app back then and you only get like a testing authentification for users and that kind of shit.

AJUMP23

Very cool stuff. I don't know that I will do this, but I could see me doing this at an end of life for the series S if I find a used one for around $50.

M1chl

Very cool stuff. I don't know that I will do this, but I could see me doing this at an end of life for the series S if I find a used one for around $50.
I don't think it's nothing more than interesting, it's not some killer feature, but could be nice for people without PCs want to get into Retro gaming without spending shitton of money.

I was thinking the same, when the price goes low I may pick one up. But then I have a Series X so down the line I may try it on that when next gen is on the horizon.

Bless MS and Xboxfor allowing us the ability to play PS and Nintendo exclusive games

M1chl

Nice looks better than Sheild, I dont like going through Retroarch can get better results running things without it
How much is shield, for comparison. I cannot buy one here, so I dunno...

magaman

Banned
Yes because those 23 studios will never release any games. Those guys are just getting drunk every day on Microsoft's dollars.

You can be salty about it if you'd like, but those 23 studios have nothing to show for themselves and there's a next-gen console out. No games means no buy. Call me in 2022 when this system has a library of games I can't already play.

scalman

if it could be hacked to allow run homebrew emulators , put any storage inside it would be emulation beast for that good price.

M1chl

if it could be hacked to allow run homebrew emulators , put any storage inside it would be emulation beast for that good price.
Well it can run them, if you watch the video, even if you would hack it, you still would not have Windows there. So I think it's easier to compile emulator which is open source yourself if it does not have UWP app.

Now ms just needs to allow emulators on the store, we should even get ps3 emulator up and running if ms allow.
Going back to you again, you don't need MS sanctification, just devs needs to compile it as UWP, whenever possible, not sure about that.

Last edited:

Dane

That's within the app itself? TNavigator shows me some Flow Dynamic software, so not sure what I can make of that : )

Wii U is not yet available, probably not retro enough:

However if there is some Wii U emulator with code, you probably can just load up the repo and compile it yourself, granted if it does not use some low level functions which does not have libraries on Xbox...

Never tried it, but it was disguised as an web browser I think or some PDF viewer.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Same thing basically.

I meant first hand experience basically.

I know there is a way to toggle between developer mode and retail mode but I'm wondering if that's truly it? I game share with someone and I don't wanna lose that ability.

Top Bottom