• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGA's 2020 Game of the Year: The Last of US: Part II

Deserving?

• Total voters

dave_d

Fine fine but did they say if there's going to be an upgraded re-release for the PS5? (Yes, I'm one of those that bought it when it was on sale and hasn't opened it because I was worried they'd announce a better version of it at TGA when that rumor started to go around.)

Collin

Banned
love that a game this ballsy won the big award. good choice. ghost is great and 7 remake rules but tlou2 feels important and it’s the game i thought about the most all year. excited to replay it on ps5

Last edited:

Toaster man

Neo Member
Tlou2 got so much shit this year for no real reason. Maybe you hate the direction of the story (I thought it was great) but the whole thing is an amazing stealth action adventure game wit top of the line production values.

Deserved.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
TLOU 2 just set the record for most awards ever at the TGAs

Gold standard of a 3rd person action game. Point blank.

Ktotheroc

Neo Member
I would say yes. I want Ghosts to win, but I still really enjoyed TLoU 2. My top 5 would look like this:

Ghosts Of Tsushima
Streets Of Rage
The Last Of Us Part 2
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Doom Eternal

Ghosts did win. It won the only thing that matters, which is popular fan vote. With the way the industry is today, it's not a surprise TLOU2 won, despite being mixed reviewed vs. Ghosts, which received universal praise.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ghosts did win. It won the only thing that matters, which is popular fan vote. With the way the industry is today, it's not a surprise TLOU2 won, despite being mixed reviewed vs. Ghosts, which received universal praise.

I'm sure the Reddit users crying about TLOU 2 having the lead didn't contribute to the win. TLOU was clearly as a disadvantage.

Ktotheroc

Neo Member
yeah, if helps you sleep rs

Many "gamers": OMG The industry is so trash, game journalism sucks, they're all paid off, fuck these losers, etc.

Same players when it comes to GOTY, where 90% of the vote comes from those same people: OMG my game won! YAY! Suck it haters! We did it, Reddit/Twitter/GAF/ERA/etc. *self-fellatio*

But didn't it lose 2/3 rounds?

I think it won 2, lost the last one. Can't check currently, but if it did lose two, idk how it still won. lol

I'm sure the Reddit users crying about TLOU 2 having the lead didn't contribute to the win. TLOU was clearly as a disadvantage.

Doubt it. People just voted on who they thought should win, and there were subreddits from every part of that site participating. TLOU2 just lost.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Doubt it. People just voted on who they thought should win, and there were subreddits from every part of that site participating. TLOU2 just lost.

There were threads all over because people didn't want to see TLOU 2 win.

It's a good game with a flawed narrative and pacing. No way it deserve GOTY, let alone sweeping the awards. They picked TLOU2 for pandering sake. GoT got robbed.

Overall TGA is just another dumb award show like the Oscars or Emmys where the true purpose is to jerk each other off within the industry and the winner is usually undeserved. The fact that Among Us was allowed to win even though it came out 2 years ago is enough of a joke.

Haven’t played it or some of the other games on the list to judge it. But right now FF7R is the game to beat this year, for me at least.

El Muerto

I have no qualms as playing as a woman in a video game. TLOU2 was well designed but the story was atrocious. Why are you going to force the player to play as the character that everybody hates for half the game, then try to make them likeable toward the end? Also, there's no closure, they just slap each other around and nothing happens. Ghost of Tsushima's story was a cinematic masterpiece, and gameplay had more freedom and required skill. I feel they chose TLOU2 so they don't get any flak from Twitter that the awards were sexist.

I don’t think any of those games deserved it tbh.

I would have preferred to watch TLOU fans’ meltdowns over their celebration though.

Evilms

Banned
1607674841-119161-full.png
1569361589-elliegoty.png

I have no qualms as playing as a woman in a video game. TLOU2 was well designed but the story was atrocious. Why are you going to force the player to play as the character that everybody hates for half the game, then try to make them likeable toward the end? Also, there's no closure, they just slap each other around and nothing happens. Ghost of Tsushima's story was a cinematic masterpiece, and gameplay had more freedom and required skill. I feel they chose TLOU2 so they don't get any flak from Twitter that the awards were sexist.

Yes, that the only possible reason this game could of won /s

Honestly these salty people. I get that it's not to your personal taste but no need to delve into conspiracy theories cus your fav game didn't win.

My fav games never win anything but I don't make crap up because of it.

cormack12

Gold Member
Dunno, I picked it up on a sale recently and it's in the queue to play at some point. I think the problem is most people probably knew this would win. It's become like movie awards where they lose their prestige because of the winners choices. Out of the shortlist, I probably enjoyed GoT the most from what I played, but even I can see Hades or Animal Crossing actually deserved game of the year more. It is what it is. It seems like it's just an outlet for the most frenzied internet userbases to get a win i.e. FROM and Sekiro

Then there are weird decisions like Odyssey making the shortlist in 2018, but Valhalla isn't this year despite being better in multiple ways. Anyway, I still have this to look forward to as well as Days Gone etc. I planned to play it round Jan/Feb but it's not like it affects me in any way.

Kholinar

Banned
It's a good game with a flawed narrative and pacing. No way it deserve GOTY, let alone sweeping the awards. They picked TLOU2 for pandering sake. GoT got robbed.

Overall TGA is just another dumb award show like the Oscars or Emmys where the true purpose is to jerk each other off within the industry and the winner is usually undeserved. The fact that Among Us was allowed to win even though it came out 2 years ago is enough of a joke.

“My game didn’t win therefore these awards are shit.”

WhyDoIEven

Neo Member
So I woke up in the morning and I checked the winners. Every year it's the same situation and it's silly. TGA became the "Oscars of video games" where the games win because of the hype, because they have a famous "sibling" or for any similar reason. There were better games than TLoU2 runnin for the awards, but it ended the way it ended. No fucks given as every year.

Peace <3

Ar¢tos

I picked NO because I think GoT is a better game, but this does not mean TLOU2 is bad at all, just my personal preference.

turtlepowa

Banned
So I woke up in the morning and I checked the winners. Every year it's the same situation and it's silly. TGA became the "Oscars of video games" where the games win because of the hype, because they have a famous "sibling" or for any similar reason. There were better games than TLoU2 runnin for the awards, but it ended the way it ended. No fucks given as every year.

Peace <3
Give critics the chance to vote for some artful, controverse, socially critical, liberal-minded, sjw or whatever makes them feel sublime stuff and you can bet they will.

Top Bottom