• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGA's 2020 Game of the Year: The Last of US: Part II

Deserving?

• Total voters

Shtof

Say what you will about TLOU2, but no other game(except Hades) came close in quality and polish for the main award. As for Best Narrative, it's probably the best a game has ever been at storytelling, whether you like the story or not. Audio Design, here TLOU2 is just on another level, the audio is from 3020, not 2020. As for best performance, this one is clear as ice. Abby is one of the most likable characters ever.

TLOU 2 is in no way, shape or form a GOTY. It is a mediocre to good game at best. However, since there was this narrative of 'haters' not liking the game, the gaming industry went into compensate mode by awarding almost all awards to TLOU2. If they could, they would have given all the awards to TLOU2. Moral of the Story: If the game in question features LGBTQ characters, you CANNOT criticise it in any shape or form; doing so will earn you the ire of internet people at best; at worst, it may cost you your livelihood.

My friends, it truly is, a clown world.

kyussman

Great-Leader-from-Great-Xbox-Nation.jpg
Good on him!.....but he must be getting sick of writing these congratulation messages to Sony studios all the time,lol.

Last edited:
Rigged Propaganda. The Game Awards is one giant commercial. This title is given to help sales for naive kids that don't follow social media. Gamers already know what's up with this game, users reviews is all that needs to be said, so this game needs all the help it can get to push those extra sales, even if it's false advertisement such as "GOTY". What a fraud.

Topher

Gold Member
TLOU 2 is in no way, shape or form a GOTY. It is a mediocre to good game at best. However, since there was this narrative of 'haters' not liking the game, the gaming industry went into compensate mode by awarding almost all awards to TLOU2. If they could, they would have given all the awards to TLOU2. Moral of the Story: If the game in question features LGBTQ characters, you CANNOT criticise it in any shape or form; doing so will earn you the ire of internet people at best; at worst, it may cost you your livelihood.

I disagree. I don't care about the LGB story aspect, but I thought the revenge theme was extremely well done. The game play was simply perfect. It is absolutely GOTY in my eyes.

Opinions tho

mejin

There was no game with the same caliber. It is as simple as that.

Obviously the others are also good options, but they won the awards they deserved: best rpg, best family game, best indie...

In the end, it is not Neal, the whole team deserved the award this year.

Stooky

lol you dont know who voted on the game or why they voted for it.

kyussman

I'll say this.....I've got no issue being first in line to point and laugh at the kind of screeching loons over on Era(many of them trans or at least pretending to be),who's world views I think are totally ridiculous.....but if you are one of the people who screeches "SJW bullshit in my game" every time you see a gay or trans character then you are no better.
I thought the way characters were handled in TLoU II was great.....everyone in the main cast was a fully rounded person.
I can actually understand people being upset at the "Joel stuff",because he was a well loved character....but the SJW complaints,nah....grow up!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Aside from Doom, Every game in that category is a better game than TLOU2.

Watch this:

and watch this:

But I guess you have to go with the most popular game and imagine a known hollywood movie director giving the award to Animal Crossing. Of course it is going to be the awful move The Last Over Rated of US2.

You're seeking validation. I can easily post videos of people who loved the game. SkillUp didn't even like TLOU 1.

You guys need to give up. lol

Valentino

Watch this:

and watch this:

But I guess you have to go with the most popular game and imagine a known hollywood movie director giving the award to Animal Crossing. Of course it is going to be the awful move The Last Over Rated of US2.

EWWW! You absolute bitter man - people like you want to call this game cringe and propaganda and forced SJW - look what your doing in your post! Still posting the same tired ass videos to shit on this game to think your going to switch peoples opinions on the game. Absolute weirdo. And no, this isn't a "Oh so what people can't not like the Last of Us?! Not everyone has to like it" - your full on trying your best to somehow deal with the fact this game has done nothing but win. It's over. G'byeee

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People called the Golden Joystick Awards rigged because the Last of US Part II won, and it was a fan vote.

Perfect scores? Only scored high because of SJW journalist
GOTY? Rigged.
Fan vote GOTY? Rigged.

People loved Japan IGN's review because they gave it a 7 (?) but it was voted as their second best game of 2020 behind Final Fantasy 7: Remake.

Watch this:

and watch this:

Yum salt with lunch sounds great 👌😌.get used to it. Tlou2 is the best game made in the past 5-6 years . Sorry bud .

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Very, very deserving. You might not enjoy the story, that's fine (I did though), but it's an incredible achievement.

hemo memo

Gold Member
You're seeking validation. I can easily post videos of people who loved the game. SkillUp didn't even like TLOU 1.

You guys need to give up. lol

He actually did like TLOU1. I myself did.

EWWW! You absolute bitter man - people like you want to call this game cringe and propaganda and forced SJW - look what your doing in your post! Still posting the same tired ass videos to shit on this game to think your going to switch peoples opinions on the game. Absolute weirdo. And no, this isn't a "Oh so what people can't not like the Last of Us?! Not everyone has to like it" - your full on trying your best to somehow deal with the fact this game has done nothing but win. It's over. G'byeee

Okay?

Yum salt with lunch sounds great 👌😌.get used to it. Tlou2 is the best game made in the past 5-6 years . Sorry bud .

Yeah no. It’s not even the best game this year and the user ratings shows. Most disappointing sequel? Absolutely.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It’s not my personal goty but it’s a well made game.

My feelings exactly.

Of the awards, I'd say it was a shoe-in for best audio design and accessibility options. Laura Bailey was definitely deserving of best performance, but so was the rest of the principle cast.

Narrative, definitely a strong candidate given how ambitious it was structurally.

Best direction, hmm, kinda difficult. At its best (dramatic sequences) its totally deserving, not 100% convinced about it generally due to pacing issues in the first third.

Best action-adventure. Probably not, due to pacing issues and although it does everything extremely competently I'm not convinced that from a pure gameplay aspect its actually better than everything else.

Game of the year, overall? Seems reasonable to me given the rest of the field.

So in summary; legit contender. Very much the "Oscar-bait" entry, from a craft perspective its truly top-class too. Not my personal favorite of the year, but I can most definitely see why it'd get the nod.

Certinty

Not sure how I feel about this.

The gameplay, visuals, animations, voice acting, level design, and whatever else are truly superb. It's just the pacing is off and the story and characters are quite honestly the worst I've ever come across in a big budget story heavy title. Still can't believe how we went from the story and memorable characters in the first game to this shit.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
He actually did like TLOU1. I myself did.

He liked the story, but didn't find the actual game enjoyable.

"I just found the process of playing the game not particularly enjoyable."

But her is what you're doing.

Hey, look! It's a good game!

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Mass exodus of employees + crunch + people checking Druckmann ideas being shut down + striking youtube channels for nothing + beinf co-president and battling with haters on twitter = deserving GOTY.

This is the level folks. This awards means absolutely nothing. We should just move on.

Guilty_AI

Mass exodus of employees + crunch + people checking Druckmann ideas being shut down + striking youtube channels for nothing + beinf co-president and battling with haters on twitter = deserving GOTY.

This is the level folks. This awards means absolutely nothing. We should just move on.
It'll always mean something for whoever needs the validation, for whatever reason.

Boss Mog

It swept the fucking awards. Well deserved. Haters are shitting themselves. Creaming their pants.
You sound like a little kid who doesn't even know what the expressions he's using actually mean. Less than half of the people in this thread think it deserved it so is everybody else just a "hater"? Having valid criticisms about something doesn't make one a "hater". Believe me none of the "haters" lost any sleep over it. The awards it won are completely meaningless and the reason it won them has nothing to do with gaming. The only award that means anything is the people's choice, and Ghost of Tsushima won that in a landslide.

thefool

walk around and find scraps
update weapons that are meaningless in a normal setting
use a broken ass combat system
do nothing for long periods of time.

Boring ass game through and through.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Stop with this absurd notion that Druckmann was personally responsible for the DMCA shenanigans. Its just blatant scapegoating. Hiring rights enforcement companies is a corporate decision, not a creative one. Its asinine to think that the guy trying to get the game out the door in the best shape possible is spending his days lurking on the internet handing out edicts to crack down on those who personally offended him!

Watch this:

and watch this:

Why would I watch those two terrible videos again?

ikbalCO

well deserved.

great, impactful story. immersive and fun gameplay. incredible soundtrack. amazing performances.

yes, there are some pacing problems here and there but in the end the game is one of the best artistic achievments in gaming history imo.

congrats to Naughty Dog.

Madflavor

Does this mean TLoU2 will stop living rent free in everyone's heads now, and we can all move on with our lives? People who loved the game will stop rubbing their nipples over it, and people who hated it will stop sperging out?

Meanwhile Book and Film fans can stop shaking their heads over a bunch of gamers fighting over what they believe is a "narrative masterpiece".

sobaka770

Banned
Yes, this is the only game this year that pushed the narrative potential of videogames to its absolute limit while still having strong gameplay and high level of polish.

Congratulations to ND and Sony, it's time to think on how to end this in style in part 3 hopefully.

MagnesG

Banned
The GOTY according to 95 outlets with maybe at least half of them infested with woke twitter people, go figure.

Ars Technica
Easy Allies
Engadget
Entertainment Weekly
Gamespot
Giantbomb
The Hollywood Reporter
Kinda Funny
What's Good Games
LA Times
Newsweek
Polygon
The Verge
Venturebeat
Vice
Touch Arcade
Wired

And that's only from the US. Such a perfect GOTY in 2020 I guess.

Raonak

Banned
Imagine hating such a well constructed game.

The gameplay is fantastic plays like metal gear x resident evil, the graphics and sound are some of the best of the generation. And the story is very interesting and takes risks, which is rare in videogames. You might hate it, you might love it. Won't know until you play it.

Bonus points for having basically no bugs.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Stop with this absurd notion that Druckmann was personally responsible for the DMCA shenanigans. Its just blatant scapegoating. Hiring rights enforcement companies is a corporate decision, not a creative one. Its asinine to think that the guy trying to get the game out the door in the best shape possible is spending his days lurking on the internet handing out edicts to crack down on those who personally offended him!
When did I say it was Druckmann's doing? It was MUSO in behalf of ND.
And also, I forgot to add the false advertising on top of all that.

TLOU2 doesnt deserve the award by any stretch of the imagination.

synce

Oh yeah that game that's just a complete rehash of the previous but with a much worse written story, seems legit

Top Bottom