• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Temtem is what Pokemon could be if it were third party...

I am a huge Pokemon fan, you can see in my name that I've been playing Pokemon since 4 years old. And being 28 now most of my life it was a major IP in my life. I won't go on a long rant of how Pokemon is stagnant...but this is more about it from a technical stand point. First and foremost Pokemon will never be like Temtem because Temtem is a serivce and Pokemon wants to sell 40 million units each edition...now if Pokemon just did what temtem is doing...have a single player game in MMO format as well as a technical competent game being 604k on next gen/pc, it could really improve from where it is currently at soley as a game not a business. Sadly since Pokemon isn't third party and since its inception save for the spinoffs like Colosseum and XD, its been stuck on subpar hardware. Also gamefreak refuses to utilize anything outside of it's terrible engine while Temtem is designed on unity. Temtem is a blast mechanically and its nice to play a pokemon like game without pop in, frame drops, stutters etc. Sadly pokemon is such a big ip you can only wish it was that world you were playing in.

4xp1w0oy2cb41.jpg

0c1.png

Man, that first image makes me sad as a Digimon fan. The Digimon anime was fire though, it beat Pokémon in that regard. And the PS4 Digimon Cyber Sleuth game was pretty good.
Wish Strive was good...waited for it to come out just for its release to be an underwhelming whimper.

An aggressively mediocre game with horrible art direction? Yeah.

Exactly. Pokemon games still at least has a soul put into them, even if they don't look amazing all the time. TemTem looks and feels completely soulless. Not to mention it is written/designed by twitter slacktivists so that is already a major red flag.

But given who made this thread, I am not surprised they would defend this tripe.

Ryūtō

I just wish there were more single player focused games in the series like Coliseum and XD:GoD or even Legends Arceus. Heck, Legends could be an entire subseries to itself.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Imagine not knowing the performance difference between a pixel driven art style and a 3d asset driven art style.

WPslZsK.gif

this was a joke btw...a call back to another thread

Last edited:
fileANJVYCYW.jpg

In case people wondered what Temtem looked like in comparison.
Battle animations, movement, and technical aspects like the lack of pop in, stutter etc make it a better experience visually. Are yes would have been a much better visual experience if it wasn’t constantly blurry, horrible aliasing , 14fps etc. temtem said art design is good to me. Not great . It and Pokémon are on the same level. Temtem just runs buttery smoothe so it makes the experience much better than Pokémon since probably it went 3d.

I am a huge Pokemon fan, you can see in my name that I've been playing Pokemon since 4 years old. And being 28 now most of my life it was a major IP in my life. I won't go on a long rant of how Pokemon is stagnant...but this is more about it from a technical stand point. First and foremost Pokemon will never be like Temtem because Temtem is a serivce and Pokemon wants to sell 40 million units each edition...now if Pokemon just did what temtem is doing...have a single player game in MMO format as well as a technical competent game being 604k on next gen/pc, it could really improve from where it is currently at soley as a game not a business. Sadly since Pokemon isn't third party and since its inception save for the spinoffs like Colosseum and XD, its been stuck on subpar hardware. Also gamefreak refuses to utilize anything outside of it's terrible engine while Temtem is designed on unity. Temtem is a blast mechanically and its nice to play a pokemon like game without pop in, frame drops, stutters etc. Sadly pokemon is such a big ip you can only wish it was that world you were playing in.

4xp1w0oy2cb41.jpg

0c1.png
Or just look at drayano hacks

LRKD

Not so sure being partially owned by Nintendo is Pokémons problem. It's clear that gamefreak themselves is the biggest problem, and if gamefreak was suddenly third party, most all of the problems would still be there imo. Perhaps if they were fully owned by nintendo, nintendo would push harder for better quality games, or maybe not. Who could say for sure. Either way I 100% agree that the games are not up to the quality they should be.

They need a major art style overhaul, the switch to 3D has left it looking incredibly bland and generic. Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but the 3rd, and 4th gen games were very visually dull as well. The animations are also incredibly bad and have been for a really long time, the N64 animations still beat the current games in the animation department. A character/creature design overhaul, it's always been hit or miss since gen 1. I know they can't all be great, but damn some of them never should have even left the sketchbooks. They need to hire writers, have actually story and characters. The writing is some of the most bland and boring drivel ever. Honestly insulting how bad it is, a kindergartener could write more interesting characters and story.

A gameplay step up would be nice, honestly, I'd love to see them switch to pure double battles like the gamecube games. I think that gamefreak even realizes the gameplay isn't quite up to par, and that's why each gen they switch it up with gimmicks like Mega evo, Z moves, and the gigamax bs. But honestly, I don't think those gimmicks are the right way to fix that issue. Doesn't help that instead of sticking with their best gimmick, mega evos, they then switched it out for even worse gimmicks.

Add difficulty back in, no clue why it was only included in a single set of games. They should also make the game more rewarding to play. Give special rewards for players who complete tougher tasks like collecting them all. I want to feel rewarded when I beat the Elite 4, and other legendary trainers. Also, handing out legendary pokemon, or forcing the player to capture them to continue the game is really lame too. Like yeah no one wants to miss a legendary, and you'd just save scum to get it, but it makes it feel fake, and like there isn't a reward if they force the legendary into the player's hand.

Never played Temtem, and not interested though, so no clue how well it compares to pokemon. But any competition to make gamefreak sweat a little is a good thing imo.

amigastar

I'm curious about TemTem but just started playing Pokemon Arceus. Maybe I wait for a sale.

Last edited:

LRKD

Meanwhile the unreleased Palworld:

I have no idea what to make of this one, but "Pokemon with Guns" is not a thing I expected to pop up in my discovery queue the other day. Prettier than Pokemon & Temtem but may well fail in other aspects.
That studios other game craftopia seemed kinda trashy tho, and is still in early access. So I personally would hold my breath or count on it on the slightest. I did really like what I saw in the trailer, so I'll definitely be wishing them for the best for it, but will be keeping my expectations at 0 for it.

anthony2690

Banned
An aggressively mediocre game with horrible art direction? Yeah.
Tbh though, if you're a Pokémon fan, you must have rock bottom expectations in all honesty.

Pokémon games could've always been so much more and never have really been anything special (except maybe crystal for the hardware it was on)

They literally churn 2+ games out a year, 3 this year! Maybe they should get more time to create the game, so they can make something decent.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Not sure what people hate about the art direction. Not played it much so can't comment on the game itself yet but visually I much prefer it to Pokemon's recent offerings.

Not sure what people hate about the art direction. Not played it much so can't comment on the game itself yet but visually I much prefer it to Pokemon's recent offerings.
Art direction is fine, same with pokemon. This game jsut has higher quality assets which makes it far more appealing. Pokemon goes for "how bad can we make this look approach"...if the world was more populated and assets were higher it would be better. Plus temtem battle system is far more skill based and no real RNG impact.
It would be nice if the devs werent horrendeous cunts
In what way?
As many problems pokemon might have, and i already complained a lot about it, i prefer it to Temtem.

Pokemon actually has designs that i like, and wasnt made by a group of twitter sjw crew.

And to make it worse, it's an always online game.
It's tough to have an offline MMO.

Last edited:

AetherZX

That sounds exactly like current Pokémon lol
Anyone saying Pokemon has 'horrible art direction' is capping big time, lol. Perhaps outright delusional, even.

Pokemon is literally carried exclusively by its monster design, absolutely nobody remembers much more than a handful of monsters from comparable series, unless it's Digimon which has had the most lasting power of those. Even then there's a struggle to remember names beyond earlier gens of those.

Anyone saying Pokemon has 'horrible art direction' is capping big time, lol. Perhaps outright delusional, even.

Pokemon is literally carried exclusively by its monster design, absolutely nobody remembers much more than a handful of monsters from comparable series, unless it's Digimon which has had the most lasting power of those. Even then there's a struggle to remember names beyond earlier gens of those.
Pokemon is carried by its IP in a similar way to COD. The monster design isn't garbage, I agree, but theres no real competition so it's hard to outright say its design is league above the barely existent competition. Temtem designs are of the same ilk, just without the nostalgia factor so we'll chalk pokemon as better since it has 25 years of brand recognition. Its like trying to enter the comic market in 2022 when you're not marvel or DC.

PhoenixTank

That studios other game craftopia seemed kinda trashy tho, and is still in early access. So I personally would hold my breath or count on it on the slightest. I did really like what I saw in the trailer, so I'll definitely be wishing them for the best for it, but will be keeping my expectations at 0 for it.
Oh for sure, expectations low, especially when the steam tags include "survival". Really included as I think fits the thread of what a third party visuals might look like with someone other than gamefreak in charge of graphics. I could easily believe the monster designs were actually from a real Pokemon game - whether that is down to them having the style down or just borderline shameless copying 🤷‍♂️

Fbh

Can we have a third option?

Temtem has some good aspects but it's so ugly, looks like a browser game from 15 years ago.
Pokemon is held back by aging hardware and a technically incompetent developer.

In my opinion, Pokemon games will look a lot better if they return to 2D pixel art. (image from Johto Redrawn project)

Ecruteak-City-@zaebucca.png

Some sort of modern take on 2D could be nice too.
Maybe something like Eiyuden Chronicle
911a47cb200369818e42c531f93d726f_original.gif

Or the "HD 2D " look from Square:
c07894951fc834bc1a5b88d95c5f32b9c6b6cc8b.gif

Top Bottom