• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiko no Tatsujin V Version |OT| - Donder quest for the rhythm legacy (device)

Apologies for the double post, but I figure it's worth noting that Popular Song Pack 3, including R.Y.U.S.E.I., Connect, Chain Chronicle Final Battle Medley, Samba Alegria, and Gunslinger Cinderella, as well as Popular Song Pack 4, with Rising Hope, Yumiyuri Kaiteitan, Music Revolver, Extreme MGG, and Angel Dream, are both available now.

Aizo

Banned
You buyin' both?
No wifi at my J-apartment yet... I'm at starbucks for the internet hahah.
I'll pick 'em up when I can play my vita again.

As always I'm buying all the DLC, lol. Still wish they wouldn't dump out all the DLC for a month on a single day, feels like a long wait for the next ones. At least spreading out the 2 DLC packs a month would be preferable, but 2-3 new songs a week would be ideal imo

The DLC itself is really good though. Continuing the trend of absurd numbers of Ura songs, half the songs over the two packs have Ura charts. Even putting that aside, 8/10 of the songs are making their debut appearance on consoles, and 1 of the Namco Originals is straight up brand new, hasn't even appeared in the arcade before, which I think may be unprecedented. One of the returning Namco Originals, Angel Dream, has always been a personal favorite even if I think the Ura really drops the ball towards the end, lol. The Music GunGun tracks are cool too, never heard them before.

So yeah, V Version continues to deliver for me, lol

Phu

Banned
I recently ordered this but after reading about how much of a pain in the butt DLC is with switching accounts and whatnot I'm not sure if I'll get them. However, since I have a Vita TV and a Vita-Vita I could just keep different accounts on each if I really needed to.

YouTube is kind of letting me down in terms of footage for the DLC and the only songs I can immediately recognize are Tutti! and Dr. Wily.

So I'm kinda wondering two things: How worth it is the DLC and would this game be better for portable or on the TV (I've always played rhythm games on a TV but, hey, this game was made for Vita).

namco/sony/whoever have made the second choice easy for you because the game isn't PSTV compatible, lol. Why? Licensing stuff maybe?? Who knows.

The game is pretty damn packed out the box, 80+ songs is no small number, but DLC will probably end up at least doubling the song count by the time it's all over, albeit at approximately 100 yen a pop. So it's up to you.

oh yeah, I finally started playing this X)

enjoying this but haven't touched the rpg mode yet, just going through the songs

some of them are pretty mean but overall I am really liking the song selection here and already wishing for a new game with more songs

I felt lazy and didn't want to do the whole account switching yet so no DLC for me yet

maybe further on I'll start over for the DLC

Phu

Banned
namco/sony/whoever have made the second choice easy for you because the game isn't PSTV compatible, lol. Why? Licensing stuff maybe?? Who knows.

That's bizarre, but yeah, makes that decision easy.

EDIT: This also likely explains why there aren't many videos on YouTube.

new favorite thing about the game is that the final boss song, ≠MM, is intended to be pronounced "dewanai nisen", or "not two thousand"

so now all discussion of the song on japanese taiko communities has gone to whether or not it counts as a part of the 2000 series. amazing.

it does have the modern 2000 characteristic of having a total nonsense not-fun chart tho

Aizo

Banned
new favorite thing about the game is that the final boss song, ≠MM, is intended to be pronounced "dewanai nisen", or "not two thousand"

so now all discussion of the song on japanese taiko communities has gone to whether or not it counts as a part of the 2000 series. amazing.
it does have the modern 2000 characteristic of having a total nonsense not-fun chart tho
I don't understand. It's your new favorite, but it's not fun?

September's DLC for the game was announced, but we're down to 1 pack a month from here on, it seems.

Popular Song Pack 5 (September 3rd)

J-Pop
Kimi ni Sakura Hirari to Mau

Anime
Feed A (God Eater)

Game Music
Senkou no Yukue (Sen no Kiseki II)

Namco Original
Break Line
Yuugen no Ran

i can't recommend the faint of heart watch the yuugen no ran video, lol. the people voted it into the game!

Also, the promo for the 3 free songs ends at the end of this month. If you have the means to do so and haven't done so yet, it might not be a bad idea to switch over to your Japanese account and download them. I believe they'll begin charging for them starting next month.

I don't understand. It's your new favorite, but it's not fun?

i like that they basically went out of their way to name/construct a song and chart such that it would incite silly semantic debate among their fanbase. i don't like charts with goofy gimmicks like 20 second morse code sections lol

In addition to Popular Song Pack 5, outlined above, all the preorder DLC songs (Takara no Oka, Amazing Grace, and No Way Back), are now purchasable. The free DLC promo songs have also been converted to paid DLC.

i wanna see if anyone here can manage to pass Oni Yuugen no Ran lol

Aizo

Banned
I'm not so into the dlc so far. I loved it in 3ds2, but still no Kyary, Perfume, Momokuro, or other Japanese artists I like in V Version. Not even anime or game music I want... I'll just keep waiting.

Aizo

Banned
I started playing this version again (after going back to Wii U 2 and 3DS2), and I've only got 4 trophies left. 2 of them just require a bit more playtime, but the other two are the Sachiko Kobayashi ones...

Does anyone have a recommendation for how to get experience after the post game? I find the the missions after 一段 are pretty hard for me...

Gu4n

I started playing this version again (after going back to Wii U 2 and 3DS2), and I've only got 4 trophies left. 2 of them just require a bit more playtime, but the other two are the Sachiko Kobayashi ones...

Does anyone have a recommendation for how to get experience after the post game? I find the the missions after 一段 are pretty hard for me...
Looks like we're in the same boat. Currently struggling with the missions of 二段.

I know it ultimately comes down to practice (and a bit of swapping around weapons and armours), but I don't enjoy the prospect of spending time on practising tracks I don't enjoy, like Ridge Racer music.

Aizo

Banned
I am fine with playing songs over, but sometimes it has nothing to do with your skill on those challenge missions, and more about your gear. Also, some of the challenges suck. You don't have to get certain combos when you play the game regularly. I don't enjoy the restrictions.

Alright, next batch of DLC:

Popular Song Pack 6 said:
10/1/15, 500 yen

Anime:
My Soul, Your Beats! (Angel Beats!)
Kill Me no Baby! (Kill Me Baby)

Vocaloid:
Hatsune Miku no Shoushitsu -Gekijouban-

Game Music:
Venomous (Ridge Racer 3D)

Namco Original:
Nightmare Survivor

Plus:
Touhou Project Arrange Pack said:
11/5/15, free until 1/6/16

Variety:
Night of Nights
Necrofantasia ~ Arr.Demetori
Akeboshi Rocket

Reimu Hakurei Outfit

Only 3 Touhou tracks seems kinda silly, especially in comparison to Groove Coaster just having dropped 20, lol. I think it's nice that it's free, but I definitely would've paid for a few more tracks. The fact that there's no numbering in the pack name has me pessimistic we'll see more for V Version, but hopefully they at least consider bringing them to other console games, like the next Wii U version.

Oh, also this business... anyone have any luck?

maouvin

Is there anything I can equip to ease on the timing to get Great hits? Been stuck on a mission to get 260 Greats for a while now :(

Got up to 251 twice, but I usually end up on the 220 range.

Sadly I'm pretty sure gear doesn't affect any of the dummy missions. Only thing I can really think of is maybe seeing if fiddling with timing offset helps? Not really a whole lot else that can be done.

Aizo

Banned
Only 3 Touhou songs after making it such a big deal that they were bringing them to a non-arcade game is pretty lame. I hope there are more.

Here's November's DLC, marking the end of songs from the desired songs poll. Now we've got both Love Live and Idolmaster tracks in the same game, lol

Popular Song Pack 7
11/5/15, 500 yen

Anime:
Bokura wa Ima no Naka de (Love Live!)
Bravely You (Charlotte)

Variety:
Hero -Main Title-

Game Music:
Yubisaki kara Hajimaru Monogatari (Shingun Destroy!)

Namco Original:
Calculator

And this all releases on the same day as the Touhou pack. Also starting on the same day, the DLC suggestion poll continues with a second round. Details are light on exactly how this will work, but one addition to this round is that Falcom themselves are holding a bonus poll including 10 tracks from their games. The top 3 voted tracks will be added as DLC, and the most voted out of all of them will be offered for free. I'll post when we've got more information on both of those.

Aizo

Banned
Are we getting DLC at the same rate as 3DS2 got?
I don't know why, but I feel quite disappointed by the Vita DLC so far (Touhou will make up for it, probably... as long as we get more. haha), compared to the 3DS2 DLC. There was TM Revolution, Kyary, and Perfume, right? Vita doesn't have Perfume, Kyary, TM Revolution, Momokuro, or any of the artists I want. They had one of my favorite bands, ゲスの極み乙女, but it's cover, and the guy's voice is so lame compared to Enon's.

I'm not loving the Vita DLC so far.
Is it just me?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
My God Oni mode is a torture. I simply can't get handle on kkd and ddk.

I'm up to 12 clears, though. I want that Platinum!

Aizo

Banned
I want the platinum, too, but I don't know if I'll ever have the drive to grind to unlock the Sachiko Kobayashi battle. It'd probably take me like 4 hours of grinding.

Alright, Touhou Arrange pack and Popular Song Pack 7 are out now. Touhou pack is free, so no reason not to get it if you're connected to Japanese PSN!

Also, the second Song Request Poll is live! Click here then hit this button to be taken to the poll page.

Basically, the poll is laid out as follows, for those who can't read Japanese:

1. What genre is your song request from? (Anime, Vocaloid, Game Music, J-Pop, Namco Original, Classic, Variety/Other)

2. What is the song you're requesting? (Try to include whatever additional information you can, including artist or source).

3. Which Falcom track would you like to see added to the game?
First Step Towards Wars (Ys 1)
The Boy's Got Wings (Ys: The Oath in Felghana)
Innocent Primeval Breaker -Game Version- (Ys Seven)
Gin no Ishi -Super Arrange Version- (Sora no Kiseki SC)
Overdosing Heavenly Bliss (Sora no Kiseki the 3rd)
Inevitable Struggle (Zero no Kiseki)
Seize the Day (Tokyo Xanadu)
Koi no Shooting Star (Tokyo Xanadu)
Soaring Through the Melancholy Skies (Gurumin)
Sorcerian Medley (Sorcerian)

4. Do you own Taiko no Tatsujin V Version? (Physical Version/Download Version/Plan to buy/No)

5. What district are you living in? (Bottom answer is other, lol)

6. What gender is the person who bought Taiko V Version? (Male/Female)

7. How old is the person who bought Taiko V Version?

8. What is the profession of the person who bought the game (1st is preschool, next 2 are elementary, next 3 middle, next 3 high, then college, then working and married, then working and single, then houseperson, then other)

So... yeah. Hopefully some cool stuff will come of this poll!

Gu4n

Voted for Overdosing Heavenly Bliss!

Also, I'm closing in on the Platinum Trophy; what's left is to get the 25 clears on Kantan, the clears on every song and 100 full combos.

I actually ended up pretty well off from the first Song Request campaign. I got Necrofantasia, and I got the GMT remix tracks (well, they were already in the base game, but I didn't know that then!). So I decided to vote for Magical Sound Shower again, lol. And I also went with The Boy's Got Wings. I'm not particularly well versed in Falcom, but that's always been one of my favorite tracks out of the stuff I do know. Still, hoping we get some good picks now that people have hopefully gotten voting for the super hard songs out of their systems.

I'm really enjoying the Touhou charts, but more than anything it bums me out that they're so stingy with them, lol. Only 3 here and no sign of them coming to a console game any time soon. Maybe I should toss in a second vote for Bad Apple in hopes of getting them to put up a few more tracks, lol.

Any way to check your play time? Must have poured hundreds into this game at this point.

Nah, no in-game timer unfortunately. Only real record is the drum counter. I think I've reached the point where my V Version drum counter is the highest out of all my Taiko games (though admittedly the counter stops at 99999 in every game 2012 and earlier so I dunno how much that's saying lol).

Shinriji

I'm liking the DLC so far (but I only bought 3 packs or so), but I'm really waiting for a Taiko Classics pack or something like this, with KAGEKIYO (please, pleeeease), Mechadon, Kita Saitama 2000,Kibun Joujou, Tentai Kansoku, Heavy Rotation, Cha-La-Head-Cha La, Mappy Medley, Tower of Druaga Medley, Dragon Buster Medley, World is Mine, Go My Way, etc. Not against pack with new music (far from it), but I want some old favourites as well.

Aizo

Banned
I'd be surprised if we saw half of those.
I'm still waiting on the Pop staples: Kyary, Perfume, Momokuro, TM Revolution, etc.

I setup a wifi hotspot on my comp to download dlc. I've been without wifi for about a month and a bit, so I'm behind on the newer songs. Nice to finally play the Touhou stuff, but the selection was a disappointing one... I mean 2/3 are songs that I like, but I need more. C'mon!

I'm liking the DLC so far (but I only bought 3 packs or so), but I'm really waiting for a Taiko Classics pack or something like this, with KAGEKIYO (please, pleeeease), Mechadon, Kita Saitama 2000,Kibun Joujou, Tentai Kansoku, Heavy Rotation, Cha-La-Head-Cha La, Mappy Medley, Tower of Druaga Medley, Dragon Buster Medley, World is Mine, Go My Way, etc. Not against pack with new music (far from it), but I want some old favourites as well.

Yeah, sadly V Version got sandwiched between versions containing a lot of those songs (Mekadesu, Kita Saitama, Kibun Jojo, Tentai Kansoku, and Tower of Druaga in Wii U2, Kagekiyo in Wii U 3, Go My Way in Must Songs). Not to say that means they're totally ruled out, just that shared songs in adjacent versions are often newer ones. I'd imagine that those sort of standby songs would be later DLC, when they start running out of steam or focusing on another game.

Still, the poll's going through this month and only has around 3000 votes as of yesterday, so a vote has a good chance of making a decent-sized difference.

I'm still waiting on the Pop staples: Kyary, Perfume, Momokuro, TM Revolution, etc.

I think that's just sorta the nature of this version. They've been primarily advertising the Anime, Vocaloid, and Game Music selections (even the home page has J-Pop listed under "etc"), and ever since the initial reveal of the game when it was advertised as being directed at Famitsu's audience, people have been jokingly calling it a "made-for-otaku" version, lol. But yeah, sadly, even in DLC the genre looks relatively neglected.

It probably wouldn't be as much of a bother if Wii U3's J-Pop selection looked a bit more interesting but... yeah. Least 3DS2 treated you really well, lol.

Aizo

Banned
But yeah, sadly, even in DLC the genre looks relatively neglected.

It probably wouldn't be as much of a bother if Wii U3's J-Pop selection looked a bit more interesting but... yeah. Least 3DS2 treated you really well, lol.
All of these things are true...

Shinriji

Yeah, sadly V Version got sandwiched between versions containing a lot of those songs (Mekadesu, Kita Saitama, Kibun Jojo, Tentai Kansoku, and Tower of Druaga in Wii U2, Kagekiyo in Wii U 3, Go My Way in Must Songs). Not to say that means they're totally ruled out, just that shared songs in adjacent versions are often newer ones. I'd imagine that those sort of standby songs would be later DLC, when they start running out of steam or focusing on another game.

Still, the poll's going through this month and only has around 3000 votes as of yesterday, so a vote has a good chance of making a decent-sized difference.

Well, I'm not bitter since the main tracklist is pretty good, and DLC is releasing without delays. Since chances are that vita won't have another go at Taiko, DLC support should last a while.

But the PSP DX DLC not being cross compatible with V Version is a huge mistake IMO. Did Namco said anything about it?

I'm almost certain it's licensing reasons. With the exception of the iOS version, which is treated as a platform rather than just a game, Taiko track licenses seem to be really short-lived and short-sighted (both of last year's Taiko games are already having some DLC tracks pulled). Perhaps it's to ease negotiations, or perhaps it's because they don't have a need for long-term contracts when their plan involves re-licensing and re-selling the tracks for new platforms once the older ones expire. I guess that may be why, say, Japanese rhythm games with long-term licensing contracts, like the Project Diva games, are still on PSN, while ones with songs licensed for individual releases, like the PSP Taiko and pop'n games, aren't. Obviously I don't know a whole lot about the topic, lol.

I get the feeling that even if they were able to license the PSP DX tracks for other PlayStation releases, they probably wouldn't, if the fact that the Wii U DLC is locked to each individual game is any indication.

PSP DX press releases listed a download version but I've never seen it, shrug. I think it got taken down pretty quickly. Or maybe it was always download code only? idk, I didn't have a PSP at the time. The PSN page for it along with its DLC has been up until last month, though. But now it's gone.

maszu

Neo Member
I have the demo (lol) on my account but even that doesn't come up in search anymore. Maybe that's why the released V version? To continue the presence on sony handheld?

Anyone know how to earn the head and body customization set in this vid?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ewR6vveWY

Switched regions on my Vita so I can't check the game, but I believe that's White Awakening (白の覚醒) , which you get from the second to last 2nd rank quest.

Also, Falcom's posted some of the standings thus far for the song poll. Koi no Shooting Star in 2nd, Gin no Ishi in 3rd, with the 1st hidden. It's still going, so get your votes in!

batrush

Switched regions on my Vita so I can't check the game, but I believe that's White Awakening (白の覚醒) , which you get from the second to last 2nd rank quest.

Got it, thanks. I had skipped some quests in the earlier grades so that particular quest wasn't available for me. Trying to get all of the kisekae pieces. Unfortunately that means I'll have to deal with Donder Quest.

EDIT: And...done. Just in time for WiiU3
Zi3GjJP.jpg

Alright, Popular Song Pack 8! This one in particular has been hyped up, and this time it comes with 6 songs instead of 5.

Popular Song Pack 8
12/3/15, 500 yen

J-Pop:
Silent Jealousy
Kurenai
ROCKET DIVE

Anime:
Sugar Song to Bitter Step

Variety:
Doctor X's Theme

Namco Original:
Taberuna 2000

Since the last livestream, Taiko Team has been hyping up a "spiritual successor chart to Kurenai" with some weird videos. For anyone that doesn't know, Kurenai is a super popular chart in Taiko, both for being well made and fun to play, in addition to being one of the hardest J-Pop songs and longest songs overall (first to hit 999 notes I think?). It's actually the highest viewed Taiko video on YouTube too. Anyways, since then, plenty of songs with more notes have released, and J-Pop has gotten charts harder than Kurenai. So I guess that with Silent Jealousy, they're looking to give X Japan back the throne, lol. And judging by the screenshot they released, they're not messing around, because it's already taken at least 2nd place for all-time highest note count (record is 1414, which it very well could break). I think Kurenai's chart is great so I'm looking forward to it, lol.

Don't forget the song poll is still ongoing! This song pack has nothing to do with the results.

Top Bottom