• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiko no Tatsujin V Version |OT| - Donder quest for the rhythm legacy (device)

Just put in an hour to this, enjoying it so far. It's just Taiko...what could be wrong :)

A question though - when you select a song, pressing triangle brings up a menu...what are these options listed?

If there's a link somewhere to English translations to the menus in the game that's be amazing (I've seen the main menu and Donder Quest menu translations in this thread already)

A question though - when you select a song, pressing triangle brings up a menu...what are these options listed?

If there's a link somewhere to English translations to the menus in the game that's be amazing (I've seen the main menu and Donder Quest menu translations in this thread already)

Those are modifiers. Off the top of my head I know the top one is the Taiko sound, the one below that is scoring system (default scoring vs. tournament scoring, the latter of which places emphasis on accuracy over combos), and then below that is speed modifier (1x, 2x, 3x and 4x). Not home atm but once I am, I can get to posting a translation of that.

Ah, sorry. I believe that your difficulty settings only affect Quests, and Missions will be the same difficulty regardless of what you've selected.

Yeah, looks like it. Still, it's satisfying beating a mission on a higher difficulty than you're playing the main quests on!

As for the layout of Donder Quest, I do miss the roaming around dungeons aspect of the RPG mode in the DS/3DS games, but it's nice being able to quickly jump into a quest in this version.

Okay, sorry about that. Don't have a good screen to work off of but the options menu is like this:

音色 (Taiko Sound): and then there's a bunch you can choose from and you unlock more but the default is 太鼓 (Taiko)
曲の並び方 (Song Arrangement): Default is ジャンル別 (by genre), going right you get 難易度順 (by difficulty), プレイ回数順 (by play count), クリア状況順 (by clear status)
真打 (Shinuchi Scoring): Default is なし (none), going right you get 真打 (alternate/tournament scoring)
はやさ (Speed): Default is なし (none), going right you get ばいそく (double speed), さんばい (triple speed), よんばい (quadruple speed)
特殊 (Unique Modifiers): Default is なし (none), going right you get オート (autoplay), かんぺき (sudden death), とっくん (sudden death w/ auto restart), ドロン (invisible)
あべこべ (Reverse): Default is なし (none), going right you get あべこべ (reverse)
ランダム (Random): Default is なし (none), going right you get きまぐれ (whimsical), でたらめ (random)

Hope that's helpful. Let me know if you need anything else.

hamchan

Question, is there any way to tell the enemy elemental type before going into battle and just seeing what colour it is?

Linkr2

Neo Member
Okay, sorry about that. Don't have a good screen to work off of but the options menu is like this:

音色 (Taiko Sound): and then there's a bunch you can choose from and you unlock more but the default is 太鼓 (Taiko)
曲の並び方 (Song Arrangement): Default is ジャンル別 (by genre), going right you get 難易度順 (by difficulty), プレイ回数順 (by play count), クリア状況順 (by clear status)
真打 (Shinuchi Scoring): Default is なし (none), going right you get 真打 (alternate/tournament scoring)
はやさ (Speed): Default is なし (none), going right you get ばいそく (double speed), さんばい (triple speed), よんばい (quadruple speed)
特殊 (Unique Modifiers): Default is なし (none), going right you get オート (autoplay), かんぺき (sudden death), とっくん (sudden death w/ auto restart), ドロン (invisible)
ランダム (Random): Default is なし (none), going right you get きまぐれ (whimsical), でたらめ (random)

Thank you very much for all this translations The Bankslammer!!!

Question, is there any way to tell the enemy elemental type before going into battle and just seeing what colour it is?

I... don't think so? You can see the name of the enemy before the fight, and often that will clue you in, but obviously that doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you can't read the name. This guide has translated enemy names, at least, so that's a start.

muteki

I... don't think so? You can see the name of the enemy before the fight, and often that will clue you in, but obviously that doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you can't read the name. This guide has translated enemy names, at least, so that's a start.

I don't have my vita in front of me, but I noticed when selecting a quest there will be a comment by the mayor about the enemy, and there they will mention the type.

I'm not sure if this is because I am early on and they eventually stop doing it, but it is there.

My copy finally arrived ^.^ I'm having fun so far, but the menu screen with the stats is kind of confusing. What does it say under HP?

I don't have my vita in front of me, but I noticed when selecting a quest there will be a comment by the mayor about the enemy, and there they will mention the type.

I'm not sure if this is because I am early on and they eventually stop doing it, but it is there.

Ah, you're right, didn't pay attention to that before. It seems like it's there through all ranks, but it's not always present for all quests involving fighting enemies. Maybe those are just ones that don't have weaknesses, shrug.

My copy finally arrived ^.^ I'm having fun so far, but the menu screen with the stats is kind of confusing. What does it say under HP?

From top to bottom, HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, Luck, Attack Element, Defense Element.

well two of the highest rank missions include playing ≠MM with the boss hazard that basically covers up notes entirely and playing Donkama at all so i'm just gonna call it here and say it's been a good donder quest run lol. it's a hell of a difficulty spike from the previous rank!

guess i should try to grind out all the outfit parts unlocked from donder quest now...

Linkr2

Neo Member
What's the translation for the results screen when you push square in song selection?

Total Points
----
Good Notes
Bad Notes
Miss Notes
???
???
----
The times you've done that song

I'm missing those two, it's about the combo?

You probably have that trophy already, if that's what you're wondering about. It's the big purple note with the 必 character that shows up in Donder Quest, and when you hit it characters flash on screen (default are Don-chan and Maple). You can change Special Attacks in your deck, as the bottom-most part (必殺技).

Ironically, the name roughly translates to "killer technique" but most of them are buffs of some sort rather than attacks lol.

You probably have that trophy already, if that's what you're wondering about. It's the big purple note with the 必 character that shows up in Donder Quest, and when you hit it characters flash on screen (default are Don-chan and Maple). You can change Special Attacks in your deck, as the bottom-most part (必殺技).

Ironically, the name roughly translates to "killer technique" but most of them are buffs of some sort rather than attacks lol.

Oh alright, that clears things up! I thought i was missing out on something. Again, thanks for the help ^^

What's the next dlc pack?

All I can really tell you is "next month", lol. We know there are packs including the poll-winning songs coming in August and September, Touhou songs coming at some point, and in all likelihood the preorder DLC songs coming eventually as well. But beyond that, nothing I can do for ya.

If they keep doing 2 packs a month, I hope they spread them out over the course of the month instead. Having a new song at the same time every week with the 3DS game was really nice, unlike impatiently waiting to see when they dump out songs for the Wii U game lol

May16

Is there a way to turn on those cool effects from Donder Quest in the regular modes? I mean, like how some battles have snow falling on the notes, some have them coming from different places, etc.

hamchan

I'm kinda wondering what the incentive is to play Donder Quest on a higher difficulty other than personal satisfaction?

Thanks for this!

Another question: Is there a difference between the large and small note drumfills? The scoring on them seems to be the same no matter what you do on either of them.

Is there a way to turn on those cool effects from Donder Quest in the regular modes? I mean, like how some battles have snow falling on the notes, some have them coming from different places, etc.

Nah, those are all exclusive to whatever battles they occur in during Donder Quest.

I'm kinda wondering what the incentive is to play Donder Quest on a higher difficulty other than personal satisfaction?

Pretty sure there is none, lol. Just so people can play on whatever difficulty they consider most entertaining.

Another question: Is there a difference between the large and small note drumfills? The scoring on them seems to be the same no matter what you do on either of them.

Large drumrolls are double the points of small ones.

Started playing hard mode for the first time today but the difficulty spike is crazy. Maybe I'm getting old but how can you perfect any of these songs? With a bit of luck I might be able to clear 25 songs for the trophy but mostly out of luck...

Anyone else having problems on the higher difficulty levels? How do you hit the 3 notes that are basically overlapping another?

Just ordered this after trying the demo. It was too cute. It'll be my first Taiko game.

With P4DAN, IA/VT and this I'll just turn my second Vita into a JP PSN rhythm game machine. Can't wait for Miracle Girls Festival ~~

Just ordered this after trying the demo. It was too cute. It'll be my first Taiko game.

With P4DAN, IA/VT and this I'll just turn my second Vita into a JP PSN rhythm game machine. Can't wait for Miracle Girls Festival ~~

I'm buying all of these games as well. It's a rhythm game Vita party!! Who needs Rock Band 4 lol

Started playing hard mode for the first time today but the difficulty spike is crazy. Maybe I'm getting old but how can you perfect any of these songs? With a bit of luck I might be able to clear 25 songs for the trophy but mostly out of luck...

Anyone else having problems on the higher difficulty levels? How do you hit the 3 notes that are basically overlapping another?

Are you using alternating inputs? e.g. red red blue really fast would be red with the right, red with the left, blue with the right.

Also, which difficulty are you on? Muzukashi (hard, looks like a tree) or oni (hardest, little demon head)

hamchan

You have to use two hands and alternate them. Hard is mainly about teaching that before you move onto Oni.

muteki

And I just realized that will give me easy access to the PSP Project Diva games as well... I might need to look into those. There's probably even more that i don't know about.

The idolmaster psp rhythm games are on sale this week too, couldn't resist.

muteki

I know what Idolmaster is but, I see six games and I know nothing about them. Help

The Idolmaster SP games are the standard Idol management games, but the Shiny Festa games are rhythm games. There are 3 versions with different song lists/characters but my favorites are in Funky Note so I have had that one since psp days. Usually they are more expensive but on sale I figured why not. There are better rhythm games out there but if you like the music it can be fun.

They were also ported to iOS at some point but again are usually crazy expensive.

You have to use two hands and alternate them. Hard is mainly about teaching that before you move onto Oni.

Oh my god. I could probably do that if there's plenty of time to think beforehand but I think my reactions simply aren't fast enough. I'll try to clear the 25 songs for the trophy but I fear that I've reached my limit. ;-)

hamchan

The Idolmaster SP games are the standard Idol management games, but the Shiny Festa games are rhythm games. There are 3 versions with different song lists/characters but my favorites are in Funky Note so I have had that one since psp days. Usually they are more expensive but on sale I figured why not. There are better rhythm games out there but if you like the music it can be fun.

They were also ported to iOS at some point but again are usually crazy expensive.

Just bought all 3 of the games on iOS. $8 each seems cheap considering they launched at like $55 each.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So what's the hidden modifier? Only a few more trophies this is the only one I can't figure out

Edit- nvm figured out it actually is the invisible notes... Stupid trophy but at least there is love1000

So what's the hidden modifier? Only a few more trophies this is the only one I can't figure out

Edit- nvm figured out it actually is the invisible notes... Stupid trophy but at least there is love1000

It took me quite a few attempts to get that trophy but luckily there are a number of really easy songs in the game, so it wasn't too hard after all.

Aizo

Banned
You know what I'm not good enough to get? Getting all 良 on a song. I would have much better luck just beating 25 songs on Oni.

Haven't been playing much lately because I moved back to Japan. Been playing Taiko at arcades a bit and remembering I'm way out of practice with the bachi. So awesome to be able to play the touhou songs, ponponpon, and lots of others again. I should look at the song list online before I go again.

You know what I'm not good enough to get? Getting all 良 on a song. I would have much better luck just beating 25 songs on Oni.

Pick one of the 2 star songs on easy. It probably took me 10-20 attempts, had one "good" miss on several occasions but after a while I got quite comfortable with the song.

Aizo

Banned
Welcome to the wall. I live here.
Are you switching hands on every hit? Have you mastered ddk, kkd, kdd, dkk? Can you make sure to switch hands every time if a bunch of those come at you in a row?
What's the hardest song you can beat?

hamchan

One thing I've realized playing this is that I am not good at Taiko.

Apparently a large number of people play at Oni, judging by the 25 Oni clears trophy having a 22.8%, higher than any other difficulty. That's nearly a quarter of people playing the game doing what I'm finding pretty damn hard to accomplish, and will probably only be able to do by abusing the extra crowns from changing the scoring mode.

Welcome to the wall. I live here.
Are you switching hands on every hit? Have you mastered ddk, kkd, kdd, dkk? Can you make sure to switch hands every time if a bunch of those come at you in a row?
What's the hardest song you can beat?

I've been trying to switch hands every hit, its just hard to get used to. I think i just need more practice with that. I've changed the note speed, wich makes it a bit easier.

Apparently a large number of people play at Oni, judging by the 25 Oni clears trophy having a 22.8%, higher than any other difficulty. That's nearly a quarter of people playing the game doing what I'm finding pretty damn hard to accomplish, and will probably only be able to do by abusing the extra crowns from changing the scoring mode.

You can change the scoring mode?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

You have to realize taiko has been put foreverrrr and its fanbase is pretty loyal, so most have a pretty good grasp of it... Not to mention in the sea of popular rhythm games, taikos got nothing on popn, iidx, etc

maouvin

Finally got my copy! After all these years away from the series I'm still unable to get full combos, no matter the difficulty.

Is this the first entry without minigames/miniminigames?

hamchan

You can change the scoring mode?

Yep, press triangle on song selection, go to third option down and change it so you get the swirly icon in the bottom left.

Now you can get another crown on songs you've already cleared. Means you only need to finish 13 songs in Oni to get the trophy.

You have to realize taiko has been put foreverrrr and its fanbase is pretty loyal, so most have a pretty good grasp of it... Not to mention in the sea of popular rhythm games, taikos got nothing on popn, iidx, etc

Indeed. It's funny because I can handle harder rhythm games much more comfortably than Taiko, which is essentially a two button game, because I'm not used to the notes all appearing on one line.

Anyways, I just got the Oni trophy after practising the whole day, hooray!

Yep, press triangle on song selection, go to third option down and change it so you get the swirly icon in the bottom left.

Now you can get another crown on songs you've already cleared. Means you only need to finish 13 songs in Oni to get the trophy.

Indeed. It's funny because I can handle harder rhythm games much more comfortably than Taiko, which is essentially a two button game, because I'm not used to the notes all appearing on one line.

Anyways, I just got the Oni trophy after practising the whole day, hooray!

Done with Oni! Thanks for the tip

General advice to get into Oni is learn ddk and kkd. They're used a lot. Find a song that has a lot of them, go into practice mode, play those sequences over and over until you get it down.

Getting good at Taiko involves being able to recognize patterns quickly and knowing how to execute them in different situations.

Is this the first entry without minigames/miniminigames?

The last portable Taiko game with a minigame mode was around a decade ago, with Taiko Portable 2. A few of the recent console games have had minigame modes (the third and fifth Wii games, and the most recent Wii U game has a bonus trivia mode), but they generally put their resources into single player modes rather than minigames nowadays.

Top Bottom