• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is nearing its 6th month of release, come post your thoughts and impressions!

iswasdoes

Definitely the most interesting bit of hardware ive bought for a while. Put more time into Zelda than any other game in recent memory, and now thats finished have been playing MK and Splatoon a fair bit as nice little 5 min bout games. Looking forward to another deep adventure on it though, which I think will be skyrim and of course Mario

Also use it in the pub with my GF. Snipperclips was replaced by overcooked, which is now replaced by death squared. Great fun coop that makes a gaming moment out of nothing, which I really love about the machine

I've bought arms but have barely touched it so far - will make some time for it eventually.

Oh and Sonic mania felt like a good fit for it.

Beegeous

Day 1 adopter here.

I played BOTW to death (c.140 hours; all shrines,
c.250 Korok seeds
) but haven't felt the urge to play it since. I've not even bought the DLC. At the moment it's a MK8D machine used just for online races.

For me it needs some lifestyle stuff (YouTube, Netflix etc) and the obligatory VC.

Mobility and instant switching between stationary and handheld mode is more appealing than I anticipated. I'll basically always opt for the Switch version in the future if available. It's a really great divice so far. The game are really good, the hardware and the software seem fine, only the battery could last a tad longer.

The hardware is fantastic, Nintendo basically knocked it out of the park. The form factor of the handheld and the split joycons is just perfect for me, best control scheme I've ever used.

The games are great and surprisingly numerous. I have 18 games so far, and I'm starting to get a little burnt out on all the indie ones I bought (AKA most of them). Definitely looking forward to some meatier games like RPGs (Skyrim, getting Rabbids tonight) and Mario Odyssey. I wish I liked Xenoblades gameplay but oh well.

Overall I'm incredibly happy with it, I just wish there was A) Smash Bros at least coming soon and B) Virtual Console, because just the thought of playing NBA Hangtime on this thing handing a joycon to my friend makes me really happy.

Leatherface

As a launch day owner of the Switch I am definitely not disappointed with my purchase. It's a REALLY solid piece of hardware and already has a fantastic collection of games in it's first year. Zelda alone is out of this world. Splatoon 2 is sublime. Not to mention the half dozen other games I have are all fantastic. To me the most important thing is GAMES, which has been a real week point with Nintendo for years now. It seems as though this may finally be a thing of the past with the Switch and I am totally excited for what the future holds. They really knocked out of the park with this launch.

Basically, I absolutely love my Switch and plan on giving it lots of love through it's lifespan.

That said there are some glaring issues Nintendo needs to address sooner than later. First and foremost I want my saves online. If I somehow lose my 100+ hours in Zelda for example I will probably meltdown. I'm hoping this is resolved with the release of their online service. Secondly, I think they really fucked up by not having proper voice chat without that god awful phone/app nightmare or Bluetooth support. I don;t see why they need to make this so damn difficult. I'm okay with the friend code thing. I accept that but at least make it easy for me and MY FRIENDS to play together online for fucks sake! Fix this shit Nintendo!! GAH!

The hardware experience is ace. I can't see myself buying another console that isn't also a portable. I'm also a huge fan of the return to cartridges, and the box art is generally quite good - love the inward-facing art, too. I love how quick and snappy the OS is, and don't feel the need to bog it down with bloat and a bunch of media apps that I can already access in a million other ways.

I've got Zelda, Bomberman, Snipperclips, Blaster Master Zero, Mario Kart, Kamiko, Cave Story, Arms, Splatoon 2, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Minecraft and I'm really happy with the lineup so far. Looking forward to Mario + Rabbids, Pokken Tournament, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Rime, Yooka-Laylee, and Rocket League later this year. I'll also be double dipping on Axiom Verge, Skyrim, and Shovel Knight (once a physical version is out).

If there are any gripes I have right now:

- More mid-tier indie games should be getting physical releases. I'm talking games like Shovel Knight, Sonic Mania, Fast RMX, and other games that are at least $20. Give me $30 physical editions and I'll buy them all. I love owning cartridges. Still waiting a while on some digital-only games in case they get a physical release - I'll give them about 5-6 months after they've released/wrap up their DLC before caving, probably.

- All the online features in the app should be available through the OS. That includes not only voice chat and lobbies, but also game-specific stuff like SplatNet.

- I want dat Virtual Console. I don't care how it comes - as individual purchases, rolled over from my past purchases on Wii U and/or 3DS, or as a perk of the paid subscription service. Give me all the NES, SNES, and GB/A games on my Switch.

- I want the OS to render in 1080p. The low-res home screen has started to really bug me lately.

I've only had mine for about a week, but I'm loving it so far. Trying to get my accessories sorted out. I've got a stand and screen protector on the way.

Can any of you who have had it for a while comment on whether the pro controller is worth getting? I think the joycons in the grip controller is decent enough I guess. Sticks and buttons are a little small for me.

Can any of you who have had it for a while comment on whether the pro controller is worth getting? I think the joycons in the grip controller is decent enough I guess. Sticks and buttons are a little small for me.

Impressions are great for everything except the dpad, which is pretty much the only reason I even wanted it :/

I think I'm gonna get one of those 8bitdo SNES pads if we ever get virtual console.

I like the Pro Controller a lot, but I barely use it outside of Mario Kart, Splatoon, and other online games/games that require really fluid dual-analog control. Really comfortable and I love that Nintendo's put out a pro-style controller that actually has the bells and whistles (gyro + NFC) of their more wacky controllers. I just find myself gravitating toward the split Joy-Con for pretty much everything that isn't an online game.

Caelus

I got mine for $50, not sure how easy it is to find for you or how expensive.

Honestly? It's not a mandatory purchase as many people claim it to be. My d-pad is responsive enough but a lot of people have reported issues, it's a comfy controller but the joy-con grip is also sufficiently comfortable for me (I have medium sized hands).

The best part is that the sticks and buttons are easy to access, camera control is made much easier. Lack of a headphone jack is shitty. I like the design of it a lot. It also works natively as a PC controller (Dinput only) so that might factor into your purchase.

I've had it since May or so. I think of it as a home console that can go portable.

I don't like the joycons. It's not comfortable to play handheld for very long. It's VERY uncomfortable to play split style. The right joycon in particular is laid out in a way that reaching from the buttons to the stick really fatigues my thumb. The ergonomics are awful. The Wii U gamepad is more comfortable to play on for longer stretches than the Switch.

The pro controller is essential. I got the Hori easel stand and the Pro controller, and that's generally a pretty comfortable way to play it.

Day 1 adopter here.

I played BOTW to death (c.140 hours; all shrines,
c.250 Korok seeds
) but haven't felt the urge to play it since. I've not even bought the DLC. At the moment it's a MK8D machine used just for online races.

For me it needs some lifestyle stuff (YouTube, Netflix etc) and the obligatory VC.
If you like online multiplayer in MK8, Splatoon 2 is probably one to look out for.

The BOTW DLC Pack 1 is basically the post game pack. Adds a lot of new content to go through.

ReaperXL7

As someone who's last Nintendo console was the SNES I love it so far. My one gripe is of course that the current library is pretty weak but I'm sure that this issue will be addressed once Japanese 3rd parties have had sometime to ramp up development for the system.

Currently my favorite games are Zelda (really feels like a modern version of the the original NES game), Mario Kart 8 and Sonic Mania. I'm excited to finally get some meaty RPGs for it though, I hope Xenoblade actually releases in the U.S this year.

Mario+Rabbids looks up my ally but I have to wait a bit on a purchase.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My impressions have been overall poor, but very much subjectively, and certainly not without highs.

As with any console my issue with the Switch is that I'm entirely reliant on unique software to derive value and enjoyment out of the system. I play predominantly on PC, so if a multiplatform exists odds are I am not getting it on any other platform.

So with the Switch I have the following:
Zelda: Fucking amazing game, adored it, best version of it too. But it's also a port of a game for hardware I already own. Portability and performance boosts are definitely welcome, but this is hardly the unique exclusive that really defines the system.
Mario Kart 8: Sold my Wii U build, bought this. I don't regret it, but at the same time it's just a filler game that I've already completed on another platform.
ARMS: Awesome game, miserable content unless you're hooked online or local multi, which I'm not. Regret paying full price.
Fast RMX: Okay game, enjoyable filler.
Snake Pass: Good game, but port. Rebought so I could play in bed.
Thumper: Amazing game, but port. Rebought so I could play in bed.

That's all I own, and they're basically all ports. Not necessarily bad games, nor are some of the other offerings out there. But a ton of ports and not a lot of system defining software. Until now at least.

Splatoon 2: Will buy eventually, probably this weekend.
Rabbids x Mario: Probably the most excited I've been for a game yet. The big single player Switch exclusive that I won't be able to get anywhere else. Grabbing it this weekend.

And upcoming:
Super Mario Odyssey: Nowhere near as hyped for this as should be, but I know I'll enjoy it plenty.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Cannot get over the awful character art and presentation of the cast/premise. Couldn't give a shit about it.
Skyrim: Exceedingly old port. Pass.

The rest is almost all stuff that I can and will/have gotten elsewhere, so I'm not rebuying unless it's a game I adore and feel I could play again in bed. I know good things are coming, but the actual software lineup isn't hooking me all that much. Exclusives define consoles to me, and it's why I always gravitate towards Nintendo hardware, because I generally enjoy Nintendo's lineup. But yeah; Rabbids x Mario is really the big game I'm excited for, the big exclusive. And that's surreal.

In addition to that the OS is already outdated and janky. How the storefront and OS haven't gotten a full overhaul yet is beyond me. I've got cracking near the power button from the heat plate, as reported by many. Nintendo's poor approach to voice chat and return of friend codes is such inexcusable nonsense.

I don't know. Switch is currently a platform with a metric ton of potential that I'm not seeing yet. I'm totally on board with the performance level and I'm happy Nintendo have consolidated their home hardware / portable vision. Works for me. I'm just waiting for the games that really make me go "this is why I bought the system". Because for as incredible as Breath of the Wild was, it was a game I could have played and enjoyed on my Wii U. Relative to exclusivity, I found more new-hardware-purchase value out of my Wii U's launch with ZombiU and Nintendoland. And that's saying something.

For me, there haven't been a lot of games that I haven't already played on other systems. I got Zelda at launch and just recently picked up Splatoon 2. So far these are my only two games. Think I'll pick up Mario + Rabbids at some point to. I suppose you could ask, "Why would I even buy a Switch, then?" which would be a fair question. I suppose I bought it to be my Nintendo machine since I am hopelessly and eternally drawn to their games, and as long they keep making their games only for their own hardware, I will buy that hardware. That machine is taking a little while to get rolling and cranking out games, but I hope that it will eventually be at full steam and there will be plenty of games to choose from.

Agree with the others who believe it has tons of potential. But at this point, I am just not certain it will be realized though I still hold out hope. I am thinking that since it is selling so well, it will have the slow start that builds to a boil over time like other surprise hardware hits (DS, PS4) where developers were reticent to develop for it at first but eventually are convinced by the market opportunity.

NikuNashi

Loving the switch. Mainly catching up on older indie games atm, just completed Shovel Knight and now going through Cave Story.

Best experience is taking the switch to a bar, me and my wife playing overcooked together whilst having a couple of beers, great system.

Want more indie games and a VC.

dc3k

I got bored of Zelda about 30 hours in.
I played Splatoon 2 once, can't stand the terrible motion controls.

Might grab Mario Kart. Waiting for Mario Odyssey before I sell the thing.

I've been playing it more than my PS4 this year. Hell I think I put more time into Zelda than any game I've owned ever barring Animal Crossing.

ehead

Oops. Already posted my first impressions on it. Just wanted to add playing a "console" Zelda on handheld mode with earplugs is an amazing experience.

Future

Zelda is one of the greatest games ever made. Played like a month straight, both on tv and handheld. Loved both experiences. Loved switching from docked to undocked.

Battery life is ok at best. Gotta think to recharge if putting in some real hours in and playing all day

After that, the drought was real. I had Wii U mario kart, and bought it again just cuz but barely played it cuz it's mostly the same.

Bought ARMS. It's alright. Definitely wouldn't have been on the radar if it weren't for the drought. Skipped splatoon thinking more of the same like mario kart

Started unplugging the dock since I stopped playing it. Thirsty for a virtual console that isn't there and more games

Bought sonic mania and I was BACK. Loved the game. Loved the docking and undocking.

Got mario rabbids on the way based on positive reviews and expecting a Zelda like masterpiece in mario odyssey. I WANT games on this thing since the experience is superior to my old Vita and iPhone for handhelds, and I feel like I'm getting the real console experience with these games and controller. But after odyssey I'm expecting the next drought

wreckml

I love the system... the hardware is so fantastic that it makes me want to play everything on it. There are games that I own on PC/PS4 that I haven't touched yet because I plan on buying them again on Switch (ex: Stardew Valley). Handheld gaming has never been so good, and it still looks solid on my TV. Obviously a little dated graphically, but it isn't such a step back like the Wii was in the 360/PS3 generation. I put 75 hours into Zelda and will hop back in when the story DLC drops, 50+ hours into Splatoon 2 and MK8, and also played through Snake Pass and Shovel Knight (both of which are perfect fits on the system). Currently playing Mario+Rabbids, and there are a lot of releases I'm super hyped about going forward. (Odyssey, Fire Emblem, MP4, Pokemon :O)

That said, there are some negatives...

The joycons feel a bit awkward to me when playing in handheld... i dont know if it's because I have big hands or what, but it just doesnt feel 100% comfortable.

The online system... playing MK8 I had the occasional laggy race but nothing too terrible. Splatoon 2, however, I was constantly getting dropped from matches and being warned I might get banned lol. Voice chat might as well be nonexistent still... its such a chore to use the app and using discord on my pc isnt that much easier. the smartphone app is cool, I like it for everything it offers except the voice chat.

No VC. It isn't a dealbreaker, but some retro classics would be an amazing fit on the Switch. It's a shame we still haven't even heard when it will come.

Other than those things, which are honestly not a very big deal (*for me*)... I'm loving the system. I think Nintendo did a great job, and I'm hoping the strong 1st party releases in years 1 and 2 will result in great hardware sales and thus some more 3rd party support. *fingers crossed*

Weilthain

Banned
Got mine on launch and have been very happy. The portable/home console aspect is great and I find myself using it in both ways equally.

All the games I have (zelda, mk8, splatoon 2, shovel knight , lego city, mine craft, sonic mania & more) are real quality games and I'm looking forward to many upcoming titles, Mario being the one I'm most hyped for.

My only real complaint is the lack of virtual console. I know it was never promised, but I'm still holding out for it next year. My 3 year old is really into Nintendo and loves for us to play through the older zeldas and Marios, which we play on the wii u. That's all fine and well and we love the wii u and it still gets plenty of use but I did catch myself thinking.. I would have gladly rebought the very same vc games i have on wii u, simply to have them on switch. Nintendo is really missing out on some easy money there.

Still love you Nintendo

BajiBoxer

Banned
Negatives:

Battery life isn't good. Understandable considering its size and power, but kind of sucks to have to charge it so much. I play exculsively in handheld mode at the moment because my HDMI cable went bad. The wireless is kind of bad too. It's the only device that can't pick up a signal in my bedroom. No Virtual Console games brought over. Finally there's the bad left joycon I need to replace.

Positives:

The library so far is pretty good for me. I had to stop playing Zelda for awhile because it was taking over my life. Mario Kart might be my favorite version of the game. Can't decide if I prefer it to double dash. Splatoon looks great, there's a number of good indies, a new IP in Arms that I haven't tried yet, and it's got some great Neo Geo games. I also love the hybrid nature of the console, and the little carts.

Edit: Also a negative is the voice chat stuff and that stupid little app.

parkinho

I love the thing; it's got Nintendo's superb first party output and already is amassing a healthy collection of indie titles that, since the PSVita, have occupied the majority of my gaming time in recent years. I can play it on the TV when I feel like it, or play in handheld when the wife is watching something.

I have a PS4/Xbox One as well, so the lack of AAA third party support does not concern me.

Sadist

More serious post;

On the hardware front, I'm really happy; the only major gripe I have is the batterly life in handheld mode. It's drained pretty quickly and while charging up doesn't take long, I wished it would hold out a bit more. Everything else is great. Even the joycon, while being small, work well and luckily I have a launch unit with no issues. While I understand others wanting more functions for the Switch (Apps, sleeker design, a better designed eshop), on a personal level I like the barebones approach. Well, okay, a wallpaper would be nice, but that's all.

Regarding the games:

+ The Breath of the Wild is amazing. Sure there is a Wii U version, but playing this on Switch feels right. Best 3D Zelda in years. Well, in regards to being inventive. I'm still playing casually, which is awesome.

+ Splatoon 2 is another solid game. Play mostly online and it's one of those few games I don't suck at in online play. Might be not as "fresh" as the original, but the original is something you can't improve on a lot I guess?

+ Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: the biggest surprise yet. Sure, the first third party title I play on the Switch and it's a game featuring Mario, but damn its fun. If third parties are reading this, this isn't a suggestion for you to bombard Nintendo with requests for making games with their IP's. This particular team of Ubisoft did a great job.

I've had mine for a week now and the only games I've really put any time into so far are Mario Kart 8 and Sonic Mania and I love the design of this system! I've been playing it a lot more in handheld mode than docked and I'm already starting to wish games that I'm currently playing on other systems (Persona 5 & Marvel Heroes Omega) were on this system so I can have something else on the TV and curl up in bed or on the couch with this.

There aren't a ton of games out for it now that I want to get, as I did my Zelda duty on Wii U, but I'm looking forward to the future of the system and it's definite my go-to system for indie games going forward!

valouris

Got one on launch with Botw, later got shovel knight, binding of Isaac, metal slug 3, splatoon 2, snake pass and now mario and rabbids. Overall extremely happy, only ever play it on portable mode and it fits my lifesryle perfectly at the moment. I can see myself playing on the tv once i settle in somewhere, but even then it's going to be the exception.

pagrab

I really like the hardware. At least as a handheld. I believe that the dock is horrible and the pro pad feels like a cheap chinese knockoff of a real thing (although it functions fine). Bought Zelda, Fast RMX and Sonic Mania. I like all of them but cannot really get into the groove with Zelda. I plan to try again soon.

Scanna

Mixed feelings. I really use it very rarely, I think I might not be interested in what Nintendo does that much anymore. Anyways, will keep it for travelling and multiplayer. My biggest gripe is that games tend to be so expensive and probably won't drop in prices until many years; that was my biggest issue with Wii U as well. Having to juggle three consoles, I don't often (will do with Odyssey) want to pay full price for games and on PS4 and One is pretty easy to wait and then buy, on Switch I imagine it'll be different.
I like the portability and one controller multiplayer on the go, don't like battery life, the left joycon is a nightmare and the wi-fi works only at my house, lots of compatibility issues on public hotspots and friend's places. I never use it docked, practically is a bigger 3DS to me, which is fine. Spent a lot of time on Mario Kart, hated Bomberman, play some NBA playgrounds every now and then.

I'm impressed the most by the fact that Nintendo released a console with a working digital game store in my country, which is a first for any japanese company - it's 2017 and Sony's continued incompetence in digital realm is beyond comical.

I want virtiual console but it seems nintedo would rather us fight ando climb over eachother for these ultra limited mini consoles

Bought it on day one, haven't loved a piece of hardware this much in forever. Once they add streaming services and Virtual Console it may well be my favorite console of all time. Doesn't hurt that the first party lineup for these first six months has been incredible.

I hope the Switch sells to near-Wii levels of success so that we keep getting incredible experiences on it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bought mine like the 2nd week it was out. 100% regrets right now.

Have had some minor hardware issues, which is fine whatever thats what happens when you early adopt. But the lack of interesting software for me has been disappointing. Probably would have enjoyed this more if I didn't own a Wii U I guess. The lack of VC is super disappointing. This thing would be god like for playing some SNES on the go and I'd be willing to pay you again Nintendo because I'm an idiot and would do that.

Its a Nintendo system I want to like but honestly I've used my 3DS, a Nintendo system I actively dislike using, a lot more than it this year.

Dremorak

Banned
It is sad that the gaming industry decided to bet against it.

It made sense at the time, no point hedging your bets on a risky endevour. But now that its paid off, (as we can already see with indie games, which are generally a lot easier to pivot on ) we will start seeing a lot of devs jumping on board. I'm hoping we get more portable last gen gems :D

sphinx

the piano man
After the Wii U, why wouldn't they?

any sane dev/publisher should have thought of a "plan b" in case the thing took off like it's doing.

instead they decided to write it off from the get go and now they are reaching for scraps (capcom...) to get a piece of the pie.

specially japanese pubs shat the bed hard on this one.

As the only truly successful piece of hardware since the 3DS in that country, they should've known better than to ignore a nintendo portable device.

Mihos

Gold Member
It has been in a drawer since Zelda. I will get it back out for Fire Emblem warriors. I hate the joycons, but it is easy enough to ignore they exist.

I bought a WiiU for the mario exclusives and mario kart. While I enjoyed 3d land, kart, Bayonetta and a few side games, I just felt a little salty towards Nintendo (plus the fact their games never go down in price it seems) so I was skeptical about the switch and the dread that nintendo wouldn't produce the games to justify me owning it. But as the year went on and watching more videos (especially when ARMS came out) I couldn't shake the feeling that I wanted this console for the games and the portable functionality.
As my wife and I switch off weeknights between our shows(her) and games (me) it has been a joy to play turf war in Splatoon while avoiding the Real Housewives of Godforsaken Land. The added bonus is I foresee my 4 yr old being able to manage these controllers much better than dealing with the gamepad of the wiiu.

Dremorak

Banned
Bought mine like the 2nd week it was out. 100% regrets right now.

Have had some minor hardware issues, which is fine whatever thats what happens when you early adopt. But the lack of interesting software for me has been disappointing. Probably would have enjoyed this more if I didn't own a Wii U I guess. The lack of VC is super disappointing. This thing would be god like for playing some SNES on the go and I'd be willing to pay you again Nintendo because I'm an idiot and would do that.

Its a Nintendo system I want to like but honestly I've used my 3DS, a Nintendo system I actively dislike using, a lot more than it this year.

These kind of posts confuse me... what kind of games do you like? There are heaps of amazing games on switch

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Love it so far, played it more this year than most of my other consoles in the past few years.

I don't really care if the games it gets are exclusive or not because being able to play at my desk, couch, bed or on my commute makes buying games for it a no-brainer for me.

mindatlarge

Got it at launch with a couple pro controllers and BotW. BotW consumed over 200 hours of my life until I finished it, enjoying it like a fine red wine, taking my time. That game alone was worth the price of admission at that point in time. Later I picked up Mario Kart 8, played that to death (again), then Blaster Master, Disgaea 5 and Cave Story+.

Then it just kinda sat there, the releases on the eShop I mostly had elsewhere, so I've been awaiting Kingdom Battle. Should be here early next week so my Switch will get some more love. I do love the system and I'm really looking forward to the next several months when more great titles are released.

I've been a day one adopter as well, my fiance embraced her inner nerd and joined me at her first midnight launch. Everything was pre-ordered but spread across 2 different EB Games locations. Console and games at one store and Zelda: Breath of the Wild Master Edition at another. When she saw all the receipts and added it all up, she was in a little bit of shock as "Switchmas" was on point with the costs you associate with Christmas. Just the same she wasn't too upset as Splatoon 2 was on the way and thats her fav series.

I think having picked up most of the big releases since launch, Zelda, Bomberman, Puyo Puyo Tetris, 1-2 Switch, Mario Kart, Street Fighter, Splatoon 2, the Switch will probably end up being one of my fav Nintendo consoles of all time. Alot of that has to do with the portability of it but so far I've just had alot of fun playing pretty much everything the Switch has thrown at me. I'm really wanting a Virtual Console already but I know Nintendo delays are usually worth the wait.

I'd really like to see more of an emphasis on local multiplayer games, with a single Switch as this console/ portable hybrid is perfect for that and Nintendo does local multiplayer better than anyone else in the industry.

Fingers crossed I'm really hoping to see a new Luigi's Mansion come out, definitely a new Mario Party and I'm all hyped for Mario Odyssey later this fall. I agree with how Nintendo has staggered its "AAA" releases although waiting for Mariokart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 was painful as they are two favs.

Top Bottom