• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is nearing its 6th month of release, come post your thoughts and impressions!

OS is undercooked and in desperate need of some lifestyle apps, customization, and that nintendo personality.

VC is sorely missing. I want SMB, SMW, and Mario 64 all on the go in one machine. Would also help fill in some software gaps.

Game output is seriously impressive from Nintendo. 6 months or so and we have BOTW, 1, 2, Switch, MK8:Dlx, ARMS, Splatoon 2, and now Mario+ Rabbids. And in just 2 months what looks like a true sucessor to Mario 64/Sunshine. Im sure they'll have Kirby and/or Yoshi in Spring 2018 which would make their first year 1st party output miles ahead of any year from Microsoft or Sony this gen.

Majine

Banned
Game library is growing at an exhilirating pace. Hope they can keep it up in 2018.

I wish the rest of the system was as appealing. The store, the surrounding functionalities etc.

trixx

Great hardware with lots of potential. Some killer games right now. Just needs more indies, apps and virtual console and this could be the greatest nintendo console since the snes. Oh and modern online and OS

Perfect secondary or even primary console(if you have a PC), It's so different compared to the xbox one/ps4

CTLance

Random thoughts:

As a 3DS centric gamer in recent months, I really miss streetpass. I know they can't really patch that into the switch without major tradeoffs, but it still bums me out that the mobile part of the switch is so underdeveloped. Not even friggen download play for smaller apps so you can get multiplayer games going even when far away from the net.

I also miss some Nintendo playfulness. The firmware/OS is functional, but nothing more. It just barely provides access to basic functionality. While KISS is one of my most beloved design principles, I feel like they have gone too far with it this time. Just how the WiiU OS was too overloaded this one is too barebones. Failing bells and whistles on the OS level, there aren't even any free pack in or demo apps like with the 3DS. No random Mario cropping up somewhere, no bird to tell you how to use the voice recorder, no weird rabbit that extorts money from you. Laugh all you want, but I enjoy having a go at such stuffs whenever I grow tired or frustrated with a game. Also, no unified way to access the manual, no browser, no miiverse, nothing. That's just too dry for my taste.

I also miss the virtual console. Very much so.

The eshop looks cobbled together in two weeks during a speed coding competition between the interns. Bleh.

Online smartphone app chaos and lack of Bluetooth headset support are two absolute head shakers. I'll never understand some of these decisions.

The cover for the game cartridge slot. Bullshit. Just offer a plastic dummy to plug the port with for those who go download only. Having to fiddle with that crap every time I want to change a game is stupid beyond belief.

Speaking of SD card, the stand is friggen useless. If the ground isn't perfectly even, the switch is likely to keel over since the stand isn't in the middle and a bit too close. Shame, I like the idea. Right now it's rather half baked though.

The fan. Bullshit. I really love how I can't lie on my back and put the switch on my belly/rib cage, or put it on my lap while sitting, because my clothing would get sucked in. Or how I can't take it to the beach or dusty environments. Or how there's (on new switches: that faintest hint of a weird smell and) just barely audible noise coming from the console when the fans are running. Mosquito levels of annoyance. I know it wasn't possible to make the Switch the way it is without fans, but it's still bullshit.

The dock. Way too fiddly, needs careful positioning on switch insertion to reliably charge. Scratches screens, admittedly only sometimes. Obscures the screen (why?). Is just light enough that I worry that it'll get dragged down eventually, with all the wires going into it. Costs ridonculous amounts of money to replace, even if it was manufactured out of crystallised angel tears and next gen nanobots that's just stupid. I know there's some costly tech in it, but who the fuck cares. They designed it, so either add more stuff to make it worth the cost (e.g. Included LAN adapter, joycon loading rails at the back, etc) or make it a cheapo plastic thing that relies on functionality in the switch.

Wireless performance is spotty. I'm talking about the console freezing with faulty routers, being fiddly with connecting to certain hotspots, and very rarely causing lag/dropouts in ARMS and MK8 if line of sight between two consoles is broken. Not often, but juuuuuust often enough to annoy me. Drivers are probably still buggy, because the 3.x firmware update fixed loads of wireless problems for me. Still, 4.x or bust.

Joycons are cool, but I really miss a real dpad, and I have problems with the provided strap things since they need to be matched to the plus/minus button. Otherwise they can get jammed, which is a pain and a half. So you can't just hand those suckers out to friends without adding on disclaimers. Painful in attached mode due to alignment. Neat gimmick, but far less enjoyable than the wiimote for example. "Real" controllers cost like an arm and a leg. Or at least that's how it feels like.

Random: why did it have to download a tiny firmware update when I inserted my SDXC card into it? That was fresh after the 3.0 update IIRC, so everything should have been up to date.

Region free is godlike though. And there's a bunch of enjoyable games on that system, with more to come. I might be ranting and raving about what the switch does not do, but I love what it does do nonetheless. The release calendar looks okayish, although I always could go for more. The games are fun. What more do I want, really.

Except for Nintendo letting Capcom get away with MonHan XX/world shenanigans and SquEnix with the Mana rom pack & "HD rerelease" stuff, regardless how questionable that last one looks. Those should have been locked in for day one and international releases, blunder on Nintendo's part. You don't let such opportunities pass you by.

It's been a Splatoon 2 machine for me. I love getting to play it portable, instead of having to play on the TV like the first game, because I have to share a TV in the family room with the wife and kids. The only other games I have played were Street Fighter 2 Ultimate and 1 2 Switch, but I have Mario and Rabbids preordered and I will be playing Mario Odyssey day one. I had BOTW for Wii U or otherwise I would have gotten it for the Switch. Overall, it feels like the best launch year for a Nintendo console in a while as far as first party titles go.

Mario and Rabbids seems like a quality title to close out the first 6 months.
Which would've probably been a weird thing to say 3 months ago

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Amazing system. Fits my life style. I cannot be glued to a TV anymore. In my home office when I want to take breaks from work I can just use my switch in handheld mode, play a few rounds of arms or Mario kart and then turn it off. All from the same spot where I work. Just suspend it and back to work. If I wanted to do the same with the PS4 I need to go over to another room, turn the TV on, the receiver, wait for the console to boot and then wait for the game to start or do whatever it needs to do. Precious minutes I don't have. If going to a meeting with a client and I am early the thing is a life saver... I can just play in the car until time is up. Same in long commute trips where I am not the driver.

I honestly didn't expect to use this much the handheld functions but it's been a life saver.

massoluk

Banned
The fact that Splatoon 2 match works so well over cellphone tethering is a game changer for me. Never have a console fit my lifestyle so snuggly.

brad-t

The fan. Bullshit. I really love how I can't lie on my back and put the switch on my belly/rib cage, or put it on my lap while sitting, because my clothing would get sucked in. Or how I can't take it to the beach or dusty environments. Or how there's (on new switches: that faintest hint of a weird smell and) just barely audible noise coming from the console when the fans are running. Mosquito levels of annoyance. I know it wasn't possible to make the Switch the way it is without fans, but it's still bullshit.

Was very surprised when this post of mostly-understandable grievances took a turn for the absolutely insane

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
ARMS desperately needs some sort of sequel-worthy infusion of content. It may be the worst value on the console next to 1-2-Switch despite a thoroughly decent underpinning. Splatoon 2 is the game I've had the most fun with on the system.

CTLance

Nekketsu Kõha;247260272 said:
It was a weird post.
I do not dispute the weirdness, but stand by my complaint.

horrible vacation trauma said:
I nearly had a heart attack recently when a relative grabbed my switch from my hotel room and started to play it at the beach when we during a family vacation. I thought he wanted to get my 3DS, so I gave him my room key and continued reading a book until I caught him and his brother play something with a red and blue attachment out of the corner of my eye. One manly squeal and a fierce lunge later, I had protected my precious piece of entertainment from sand-based ruination. Hopefully, at least. The little tyke wasn't even aware of the fan issue, but if my switch eventually dies due to a broken fan, I will hunt him down and mail him to a Chinese sweatshop. That one will be entirely Nintendo's fault, and no judge or jury can convince me otherwise.

One more utterly random quibble: why did the USB-C port have to be on the bottom? Can't charge and, uh, belly-play simultaneously without fear of breaking the port or plug. Whatever will I do.

TLDR: I like to laze about while gaming. That means, the thing is likely to come to a rest atop my belly or lap. In that regard, the Switch only scores a paltry five out of ten points.

I do not dispute the weirdness, but stand by my complaint.

One more utterly random quibble: why did the USB-C port have to be on the bottom? Can't charge and, uh, belly-play simultaneously without fear of breaking the port or plug. Whatever will I do.

TLDR: I like to laze about while gaming. That means, the thing is likely to come to a rest atop my belly or lap. In that regard, the Switch only scores a paltry five out of ten points.

The position of the cable is annoying sure. So far it hasn't been bad for me however but if I was playing Zelda portable that would be a pain not gonna argue that. Personally I play with it all the time as you describe but without the issues. Or I am not paying attention but I have not noticed anything so far.

I'm very happy with the switch, hardware wise its brilliant and I'm still impressed with the dock/undock transition and the overall build quality.

Performance wise, I've never experienced any frame rate drops, crashing or other issues (that I've noticed) in either mode

I don't have the time to play as many games as some people do but from what I have played/bought the software has been amazing:

Breath of the Wild is one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played, and if I had to pick fault its that I'd actually have liked it to be a bit longer, maybe had two extra traditional like dungeons (which we may get as part of the DLC). its the Zelda game I've wanted since the first game, a 3d representation of such a game, about exploration and stumbling upon dungeons hidden throught the world (I've never got the complaints from people that its not Zelda like, games post ALTTP slowly became more linear and less Zelda like really)

Mario Kart, whilst a port of an amazing game, it proved to be an improvement in every way with the added bonus of portability

Splatoon 2 is superior to Splatoon 1, far more enjoyable with some much better modes, its only lacking part is the same as Spatoon 1 - voice chat, which i'll come back to

Sonic Mania, is an amazing nigh on perfect sonic game, which is complemented by the switch's portability

with the praise aside, there are issues and lacking areas;
The joy con disconnection issue - I've sporadically experienced this and really should send my joy con off for 'fixing', but its almost a non issue 99% of the time

The online is non existent and it mainly isn't an issue as most titles don't really make use of it yet, except for Splatoon, which highlights the issues with the existing set up exponentially, its almost unworkable in its current form. If it doesn't change, then its unlikely I'd ever buy another game that needs voice communication for the console.

He does. Not sure how prevalent it is yet but the Switch is prone to warping by the air vent due to overheating.

Thats an urban legend. The Switch will not bend due to overheating. There has been only a few sources of this and all of them had been exposed as photoshop/camera angle fakes.

Oh I guess I'm just imagining mine being bent then. Thanks that sure is a weight off my shoulders.

Someone who write things like "Switch is prone to warping by the air vent due to overheating" can not be taking seriously. Seriously.

Of course all devices can have faults and Nintendo devices had some serious issues in the past (remember the scratched 3DS screens), but the bend-gate is obviously something related to a faulty production shipment. There has been test all over the internet with overheating the Switch and trying to bend it, it just dont work.

I don't want to defend Nintendo here, there is a real and widely known issue with Switch (Joy Con loses connection). But the bend (and the dock scratch) things are purely anecdotal and far away from "prone to".

Random thoughts:

Wait... what?

FinalAres

I just want more games. I've never had a console in its first year, so I assume this is par for the course?

Either way I played Zelda, Sonic, Mario, Kart and Snipperclips and that's it over 6 months. Its far from being enough for me.

I do think Virtual Console would be enough to fill the gaps for me though, so it's disappointing to see that delayed for the mini classic consoles (which I 100% believe is what is happening).

Sendou

The good: amazing that Nintendo put out a handheld this powerful in 2017. Them making a hybrid device was always a dream of mine and glad to see it finally come true. The hardware and UI are both sleek.

Pro Controller although a bit expensive is also the best controller I have ever used. Joy-cons are a good compromise for all they do.

The bad: The fan really revs up hard for me sometimes. Sometimes during idle it goes up a lot and I have to go sleep mode to reset it. Although I'm not sure if it has happened after latest update. The actual handheld isn't the most comfortable. Can't play extended sessions without the Pro Controller.

The OS is still lacking some basic features. Still no Netflix after 6 months. Where is Virtual Console? They are going to be starting to charge for online in mere 4 months but we're still adding each other via friend codes. Their most recent popular online game being P2P I fail to see where the money would be going.

Where it really matters they're knocking out the park. The system is just getting a hit after hit from Nintendo. Indie lineup has been solid too. Overall I see a bright future for the system and all the revisions to come.

Oreoleo

Someone who write things like "Switch is prone to warping by the air vent due to overheating" can not be taking seriously. Seriously.

Of course all devices can have faults and Nintendo devices had some serious issues in the past (remember the scratched 3DS screens), but the bend-gate is obviously something related to a faulty production shipment. There has been test all over the internet with overheating the Switch and trying to bend it, it just dont work.

I don't want to defend Nintendo here, there is a real and widely known issue with Switch (Joy Con loses connection). But the bend (and the dock scratch) things are purely anecdotal and far away from "prone to".

Okay so this is an argument of semantics to you? It's happened to mine, and I believe other people when they say it's happened to theirs. Whether it's a hardware fault or an error in production (e.g. not enough thermal paste being used) is irrelevant to me. It's already happened and it's worth pointing out. Whether you believe me or not isn't really my problem. I know I'm not making shit up and that's good enough for me.

Firebrand

It's an amazing handheld machine. TV console performance is a bit disappointing, especially when not even Nintendo can get a lot of their stuff to run at 1080p. Release schedule has been tighter than I expected, will have to see what next year is like once the big titles like Zelda and Mario are out.

The biggest issue with the machine though is the atrocious wifi. It's pretty bad when I can sit 5 meters from an access point in direct line of sight and still not have full reception.

I never owned a Wii or a Wii U. I stopped getting Nintendo consoles at Gamecube. I LOOOOVED Zelda BOTW. My fingers are crossed that it gets ports of some of the Wii/Wii U games that i missed.

scoobs

Played it a bunch for the first few months, really haven't felt the desire to play it since. Finding myself reading books instead with my free time while i'm away from home lol... never thought id say that.

Gestault

Wtih my work schedule and the frequency of smaller action/platformers I'm into, I'm proud to say I finally have a small backlog on Switch. We made it, boys!

(It's got a lot of pretty considerable quirks, but it's not a bad piece of kit. I can't decide if I'd recommend it to more—well, normal people, but it's neat. I've mostly stopped playing it at the moment, but not for lack of newish content to play.)

phant0m

Very very good console, a true game changer in terms of flexibility and portability. Love how speedy and trimmed down the OS is, no bullshit. Small but good library so far, much better than the early months of PS4/xbo.

Kickstand/tabletop mode is utterly useless, it's too flimsy and the single angle you can use it is not good. Wifi is a little weak too, but useable. Desperate for VC. I'm guessing they're trying to not cannibalize SNES classic sales, but people would have bought that shit anyway.

Had some guests over Sunday to watch the season finale of GoT but prior to that we pre-gamed with Mario Kart 8 Delux. After that they all asked for Smash Brothers and I didn't feel like getting the Wii U out, all the Wii Motes out, swapping fresh batteries into them since they haven't been used in a while. FFS Nintendo, bring Smash to Switch immediately!

cripterion

I bought one for my kids, the concept is nice and we own Mario Kart and Zelda. I'm amazed this sells well cause it's really barebone though, the store content is laughable, why can't we have the 2ds games in there?

I'd say for the price it is right now it's hardly worth it, especially since Zelda can be pllayed on a WiiU. (It's more expensive than a PS4 pro pack with 2 games...)

Hopefully they get some games up in there and soon

Played it a bunch for the first few months, really haven't felt the desire to play it since. Finding myself reading books instead with my free time while i'm away from home lol... never thought id say that.

So you're saying the Switch did real good for you, pushing you into books, making you a better person! :p

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Went to the USA last week (Miami) and bought the Neon one.

Also bought:
Mario Kart 8 DX ($60)
Lego City Special Edition ($40, at some Walmart, price error probably, since it was the same as the regular edition, and I had to tell the girl at the store to respect the price they had)
Just Dance 2017 ($30)
Puyo Puyo Tetris ($40, traded at Gamestop for an old 3DS)

Set of Neon Yellow (ew!) Joycons.
Charging grip (I know, I know)
Travelling case (the boring grey one $10)
Screen protector (Hori, $10, nice instructions!)

The hardest thing to find was the joycons, don't know why, but nobody had extra joycons. Yellow were the only ones I could find, awful.

Didn't buy Zelda because I already played the WiiU game, so I'm waiting for a GOTY edition that includes all the DLC (it HAS to come, right?).

I wanted another grip, because of two player games (I have 4 joycons) like Lego or any other that requires two controllers.

The grip is much more comfortable to hold than separate Joycons; in fact, I see no need for a Pro Controller, since grip controller is really great.

Also, I can charge the joycons without the console, not that I've needed to, but maybe one time I'll do, it also has a nice cable I can use for travel.

Impressions
Battery life: It's crap, no two ways about it. It's nice that it uses a standard cable for charging, but the battery itself lasts 3 hours or so. I still could play a lot of Tetris on my way back to Chile =).

Screen: It's fantastic, even on the lowest brightness it's still very bright.

Portable mode: Great, and games generally look a little better here.

Multiplayer on the go is fantastic.

Games
Mario Kart 8 DX is great, auto accelerate and maintaining my kids on the track solved all my issues with previous Mario Karts. Is there some way to disable motion controls for me though?

LEGO City Undercover: Great game, very exploration like, which is nice, since combat always suck in LEGO games; the open ended structure definitely benefits this franchise. Having a lot of fun with this one.

Puyo Puyo Tetris: Puyo Puyo sucks,Tetris is great. Honestly, how can I git gud at Puyo Puyo??? I'm stuck at a mission were I have to make 4 combos or something, hate Puyo Puyo with a passion!!!

Just Dance 2017. Haven't played this yet, I got 3 months of JDU which is nice. FTR, I've got 4 little girls in the house, so don't judge me. I can play with my cellphone too, 6 players MP, which is great. And it was half price.

I'm waiting for Bomberman bomba discounted edition (I expect to see this with a slashed price soon enough) and FIFA, and I'll have my multiplayer set ready. All this games bought physical.

I'll buy Mario and Xenoblade and other long SP games digitally, since I don't want my kids playing those (too long, not MP), faster load times (especially Xeno).

On the indie games, I'll just be buying Switch Humble Bundles, or big discounts, since third parties always do promotions. I also don't have a micro SD yet, will buy a Sandisk Ultra of 128 GB probably.

Interested in:
Sonic Mania
Blaster Master Zero
Overcooked (if they fix it, lol)
I am Setsuna (need BIG discount, since it's not that great, apparently)
Ultimate Chicken Horse (need to see if any of my kids is interested in platformers first)
Kamiko
Wonder Boy
Monster Boy (need to see reviews)
Shantae
Snake Pass
FAST RMX
Snipper Clips
Golf Story (need to see this first)
Wargroove (AW clone)
Bloodstained

There's probably a couple more. Indie games occupy most of my time this days, and they are so damn cheap, it's awesome. And the Switch is just great for this games, portable, low power and multiplayer on the go.

ARMS desperately needs some sort of sequel-worthy infusion of content. It may be the worst value on the console next to 1-2-Switch despite a thoroughly decent underpinning. Splatoon 2 is the game I've had the most fun with on the system.

I only just played ARMS for the first time at the weekend, really enjoyed it and clicked on the store button to buy it then almost fell off my chair when I saw it was £49.99.

Wadiwasi

Banned
I'm basically waiting for NDS levels of RPG's for this thing. Have Zelda and MK8. Haven't played this thing in months.

Currently looking forward to The Octopath Traveler. Would like to play I am Setsuna but waiting for a discount.

lol Yeah.That's probably the only time I read stuff because when I'm at home, I'm watching movies or playing video games. Playing video games away from home when they already consume most of my life seems like overkill. I have to broaden my horizons. Although the Switch is a useful thing to have around to get my niece and nephew to sit still when I'm visiting.

I have not even 48 hours with mine, so can't give a proper opinion. Will say, tho, that I don't like the fact that you can't turn off the damn thing from the main menu.

I've not played with the switch as much as I want but the time I have spent with it has been a blessing.

BotW was my first real zelda game I owned and I enjoyed all 65+ hours of it and plan to start a new save at some point and use the pro hud.

MK8D, Splatoon 2 and FAST RMX have all served me well so far and I still get urges to play all 3 games now and again, currently playing Sonic Mania in portable mode and it's so lovely.

I really like the simple and fast OS, never had a Wii U to compare it to but after spending years with an xbox one and 2DS the switch is lightning in a bottle for how quick it is and I hope they don't ruin it too much by adding in tons of services and apps.

Really happy with my launch purchase and it's my main console for now and at least next gen also, if there is a game I want to play which is not on the switch i'll run it at medium settings on my pc.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I have not even 48 hours with mine, so can't give a proper opinion. Will say, tho, that I don't like the fact that you can't turn off the damn thing from the main menu.
I feel we already had this discussion, but there is no point for turning it off... You couldn't turn it on again from the controller, talk about uncomfortable.

Preble

I love it. already so many games I want to try out (with no money to buy them). The portable aspect just makes me want to play all types of games on Switch.

Still would like to see an Internet Browser and Virtual Console games, but for the most part I'm satified.

CTLance

Mario Kart 8 DX is great, auto accelerate and maintaining my kids on the track solved all my issues with previous Mario Karts. Is there some way to disable motion controls for me though?
Yeah, there is. Either in the pause menu (+ during racing), or on the Kart part selection screen before the race after choosing a driver. During the latter you can press + or - to access the stats of the currently chosen item, and on that same popup there are three buttons for auto-steering, gyro steering and auto acceleration. Press L, Y or R to toggle them respectively (or via touch).

tkalamba

Haven't really touched it since BoTW. Bought MK8D hoping to have something else to play, but that was short lived as I already had MK8 for a while on the WiiU. None of the other exclusives appealed to me yet, as most look really shallow and don't offer the types of experiences I want. It's basically been collecting dust for about 2 months now and taken a back seat to my Xbox and PC.

I'll be buying Mario+Rabbids as that at least seems entertaining and I've been looking for something else to play besides PUBG on PC, or Battlefield 1.

Unfortunately, the games released thus far don't suit my tastes, as I generally perfer games with deep systems, or strong multiplayer. I'm hoping for some more games with the scale of BOTW and looking forward to the new Mario game in October.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Yeah, there is. Either in the pause menu (+ during racing), or on the Kart part selection screen before the race after choosing a driver. During the latter you can press + or - to access the stats of the currently chosen item, and on that same popup there are three buttons for auto-steering, gyro steering and auto acceleration. Press L, Y or R to toggle them respectively (or via touch).
Woa! Thanks!

Top Bottom