• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony could soon automatically play portions of games for you (the feature is often already used in many MMORPG games)

Source - Exputer

Sony often introduces convenient gameplay features into its games. While many of them tend to be quite innovative, a patent published by the company now wants to add an option already utilized in many titles. The publisher wants to secure an auto-play feature to play portions of gameplay in your place. It can auto-play grindy game sequences until you take back control.

The patent dubbed “METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR AUTO-PLAYING PORTIONS OF A VIDEO GAME” wants to add an option to handle the “anticipated grinding content (AGC).” Sony mentions that it would simulate the gameplay style of users to grind through tedious portions of a game. This is already used in many MMORPG mobile and PC titles, where you can leave it up to the game to do the combat and walking to quests part for you.

The auto-play mode uses data from the user play model to automatically play the AGC for the user using a gameplay style that simulates a gameplay style of the user. […] When gameplay of the AGC in auto-play mode is complete, a resume notification is presented to the display screen of the user device used by the user during the gameplay,” reads the patent.
The image shows a user playing a game and attempting to use the auto-play feature | Image Source: Patentscope

The image shows a user playing a game and attempting to use the auto-play feature | Image Source: Patentscope

Sony clarifies that the auto-play feature would use AI and trained models to decide what to do in place of users. When the game is done grinding for players, they can continue auto-playing or take control at any point. The patent argues that gamers may find some portions of the game quite repetitive, which can kill interest. By using the discussed option, players could easily skip to the fun parts of gameplay and save time for more activities.

By using auto-play mode, users can avoid the need to play parts of a game that they do not like playing and reduce the amount of time it takes to complete the game because the AI player can play the grinding portions of the game at a faster speed.”
The flow diagram shows details about the auto-play notification process | Image Source: Patentscope

The flow diagram shows details about the auto-play notification process | Image Source: Patentscope

The patent mentions how other players will not be disappointed when one member has to go AFK since the auto-play feature would play for them until they return.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is so dumb that my head hurts.

How about they design games better so you don't need this bullshit? The auto feature already exists in gachas as well as the speed-up mode in turn-based games. This adds nothing but justifying bad game designs.

This exactly, let's build ai to play for you because our game is boring and has bad design. Lame.

Embearded

I dont think its good for me, its kinda weird, we buy games to play games and the games play our games themselves? Then why i buy games then.

You forget the step where you also buy the service that plays the game for you:

1. Buy game
2. Play game for X hours
3. Realize you need 100 more hours of grinding to get Y equipment.
4. Auto play add pops in
5. Buy Auto Play service
6. Watch game play by itself
7. Character gets stuck every 15 minutes
8. Realize you need to check it every 10 minutes.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I would love games to have some "skip to the next part" option, I'm currently stuck on a section in RE4 PSVR and I just can't for the life of me get past it and it's beyond infuriating, I've essentially had to park/quit the game which I was enjoying the shit out of right up until that point and no matter how many times I've tried I just can't get through it, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I just keep getting overwhelmed with bad guys in this barn section with another NPC and I eventually run out of ammo and then a bull head miniboss appears and I'm like wtf am I meant to do now, ive no ammo FFS!?! Yeah Sony play this section for me please so I can continue enjoying the rest of the game

twinspectre

Maybe this feature is made to solve the problem with the "I don't want to grind", "I don't want a longer game"?
Which is really sad, that theres people that want to ruin this hobby for their "I don't have time to play games" mentality.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

How about they design games better so you don't need this bullshit? The auto feature already exists in gachas as well as the speed-up mode in turn-based games. This adds nothing but justifying bad game designs.
beyond this if feels like some way to collect even more user data from people. you opt in and they have permission to log / record everything. personally, i'd sell that data to AI / robotics companies. lol

mdkirby

Sounds ridiculous, but it kinda makes sense in an adhd fuelled, phone addicted world, where our devices are constantly seeming our attention. I can see it working quite well for some games.

This seems to be aimed squarely at people like my sister, who enjoys playing games for their stories/experiences, but are not good enough to actually beat the game.

DaGwaphics

Sticker Pain GIF by Kiszkiloszki

LOL. I'd put more research into games that users wanted to play themselves. I wonder how much extra they will charge per hour for the AI.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I see no downside here, would be a pretty cool accessibility feature honestly. No one that buys a game should be unable to at least watch the content if they want. Could help with poor difficulty balancing, or just straight boring sections of games.

yurinka

As I remember Sony already patented this a while ago, this must be an update of the patent.

You have no idea what you are talking about. It has nothing to do with bad designs, has more to do with accesibility to allow disabled or unskilled players pass some difficult (for them) portion of the game, or for players who may keep playing while they go to the bathroom or something like that, or for players who want a more cinematic/storytelling experience.

The autobattle feature of some gatchas is different because this one takes into consideration via AI the playstyle of the player and other players to perform way more complex actions than to choose between 3 or 4 buttons in a menu.

People getting angry at patents again I see (another to the pile of 'will probably never come to anything')
Yep. But I bet this one, which as I remember it's an old one, will be implemented during the PS6 generation.

beyond this if feels like some way to collect even more user data from people. you opt in and they have permission to log / record everything. personally, i'd sell that data to AI / robotics companies. lol
The illuminati and annunaki won't collect any personal data of you. The game just get that the user number 2394829 likes to kill orcs with a long sword while rushing and elves with a crossbow behind a cover, and approach enemy camps using stealth. And will use that to create an average and different player behaviour types etc.

Last edited:

Aenima

What MMOs have this feature? I havent heard of a single one
Pretty much almost all mobile games have an auto play feauture. Very commom in RPGs, MMORPGs, and many other genres. For example Black Desert Online has an auto play feauture on mobile, not sure if also has it in the console/PC version.

Last edited:

calistan

I would love games to have some "skip to the next part" option, I'm currently stuck on a section in RE4 PSVR and I just can't for the life of me get past it and it's beyond infuriating, I've essentially had to park/quit the game which I was enjoying the shit out of right up until that point and no matter how many times I've tried I just can't get through it, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I just keep getting overwhelmed with bad guys in this barn section with another NPC and I eventually run out of ammo and then a bull head miniboss appears and I'm like wtf am I meant to do now, ive no ammo FFS!?! Yeah Sony play this section for me please so I can continue enjoying the rest of the game
Nintendo already did something like that called 'super guide', which they also patented. Fail a particular section enough times and you'll get the option to let the computer take over.

Hey, it depends on the use. If it can help folks not used to gaming or to assist disabled people, more power to it. As long as it is not something intrusive I'm all for it.

IAmRei

You forget the step where you also buy the service that plays the game for you:

1. Buy game
2. Play game for X hours
3. Realize you need 100 more hours of grinding to get Y equipment.
4. Auto play add pops in
5. Buy Auto Play service
6. Watch game play by itself
7. Character gets stuck every 15 minutes
8. Realize you need to check it every 10 minutes.
... I cannot comment these ... : ))

Hohenheim

Next Sony will promote a magic pill that puts you in a coma, and life flies by without having worry and struggle with anything. Then they wake you up right before the end, so you can feel the sweet embrace of death, with a great feeling of getting there without any grinding or struggle.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Hey, it depends on the use. If it can help folks not used to gaming or to assist disabled people, more power to it. As long as it is not something intrusive I'm all for it.
More accessibility would be the official reason, just like surveilling people is done to protect the children / fight terrorism. ;)

Auto skip feature is already out there and we should leave it at that.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

As I remember Sony already patented this a while ago, this must be an update of the patent.
I remember that too.

You have no idea what you are talking about. It has nothing to do with bad designs, has more to do with accesibility to allow disabled or unskilled players pass some difficult (for them) portion of the game, or for players who may keep playing while they go to the bathroom or something like that, or for players who want a more cinematic/storytelling experience.
I agree with what you're saying, this could be a good feature for unskilled scrubs like me, BUT the language in the patent itself refers to "grind" in games and that is the main point of contention. That Sony will intentionally make their games more grindy & tedious, and then present Auto Play as a "feature" probably locked behind a pay wall. It is no different than any other micro-transaction. That is the problem here.

More accessibility would be the official reason, just like surveilling people is done to protect the children / fight terrorism.
Right, under the guise of accessibility, they've just created another pay-to-win feature (or, in this case, pay-to-not-play)

Last edited:

Bilu

Pretty much almost all mobile games have an auto play feauture. Very commom in RPGs, MMORPGs, and many other genres. For example Black Desert Online has an auto play feauture on mobile, not sure if also has it in the console/PC version.

There isn't. They're different games.

Top Bottom