• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents a Smarter Download Mechanism That Will Allow You to Play Games in Chunks As They Download

Don Carlo

New Sony patent talks about "accelerating the start time of a game" by sorting the game's download in chunks, so users can start playing accordingly.

From Source:
Today, we discovered a newly released patent by Sony Interactive Entertainment titled “ACCELERATED APPLICATION START USING ESTIMATED PLAY DURATION,” filed in August. The patent, published last week, outlines a technique to enhance the speed of video game startup by enabling players to engage with portions of the video game while it is being downloaded.
“A method for accelerating the start time of an application is described herein, comprising receiving application chunk information from a user, wherein playtime information is associated with the application chunk information, wherein the application chunk is a discrete portion of the application and the playtime information is an estimated time for one or more similar users to reach a chosen state or landmark in the application; predicting a download duration from the application chunk information and network information; comparing predicted download duration to stored playtime information associated with a previously received application chunk and the playtime information associated with the application chunk information; and installing the previously received application chunk when the predicted download duration is less than the stored playtime information,” reads the patent’s abstract.
In the recent past, numerous video games introduced a functionality known as “preloading,” enabling players to experience specific segments of the game before its full download completion. Nevertheless, this approach mandated a partial download for playability and resulted in predominantly unfavourable gameplay experiences.

Recognising this challenge, the patent introduces a method that fundamentally redefines the process of application download and installation. The key innovation lies in the concept of “application chunks” — discrete portions of an application that can be downloaded independently.

What sets this method apart is the integration of playtime information associated with each application chunk. When a player initiates the installation of an application, the system receives information about application chunks from the player.

Each application chunk comes with associated playtime information, representing the estimated time it takes for similar players to reach a chosen state or landmark within that part of the application.

Sony

Schematic diagram of a system implementing the method for accelerated game start using estimated play duration according to aspects of the present disclosure. | Source: Patent Public Search

Utilising both the application chunk information and network details, the system predicts the duration required to download the next application chunk. This is where the magic happens. The predicted download duration is compared to the stored playtime information associated with previously received application chunks.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They already do that and like Crayon Crayon said, you hit the brick wall and have to wait for the rest to download, even worse if you've already played the game and continuing from where you left off

Killer8

I'm struggling to understand how this is different than what they already do. Do they want to segment the game further so you download it in chapters?

Sony already did that 15 years ago in Siren: Blood Curse:

4QAZR9H.jpg

LncgfSv.jpg

The problem is that multiple parts of a game can share assets across the whole game, necessitating downloading a huge amount of data just for that initial chunk to start.

I'm guessing this system might be able to download a copy of an asset for each chunk, so it can be played then and there, and then delete the duplicates at the end when the whole game is downloaded.

simpatico

Seems like a waste of effort in the age of ever expanding fiber connections. UbiSoft has been doing it on UPlay for a while and I can't think of a time when it was useful.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Isn't this the way it already works, you're able to start playing most games when they reach a certain threshold while the rest downloads / copies in the background.

Between this and the dynamic difficulty patent, it's weird to see them trying to patent things which are already commonly used.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
We can't even do this with discs consistently. Nice idea not realised, however preloading, app initiated downloads or cloud streaming are all viable options.

Forsete

Gold Member
I thought they already did this? Works pretty well as it is right now IMO.

But it was more useful when I had a slower internet connection.

consoul

Not much different from current methods.

This one just seems to differ in that it estimates both how long the player will take to play through to particular chunks and how long the download of the chunks would take to that player's system. It would thereby allow the player to begin playing at the earliest optimal time, rather than a one size fits all predetermined time like the current methods.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It might be more interesting if you could download parts of the game an undownload parts of it as you play, so it never really takes up unneeded space once you pass through certain stages.

Killjoy-NL

This never really works as games use a lot of the same data no matter what stage / area you are at.
Didn't either Cerny or Epic adress this when discussing the effects of SSDs for game design?
The 'paradigm shift' and different way of loading in assets?

This is essentially the answer to the issue with GaaS games getting frequent updates that the game install continually inflates over time.

Destiny 2 is a most famous example of how they tried to address the issue, by essentially taking a sledgehammer to the base game and removing content gamers had already paid for, from the game install. This had the impact of making the game virtually impossible to penetrate as a new player many years down the line, as the original D2 campaign story was all but eviscerated from the game. So new players being less able to follow the narrative means they're less engaged and so more ready to put the game down if they're not feeling the gameplay.

This tech would solve the issue by instead putting all the legacy content in the cloud and new players' console's would dynamically download the portions of data in chunks as needed as the players progress through the base game campaign, seasonal campaign and expansions until they reach the current live game.

Both GaaS and MMOs would benefit from this greatly. It's basically a game-changer for those types of games.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Didn't either Cerny or Epic adress this when discussing the effects of SSDs for game design?
The 'paradigm shift' and different way of loading in assets?
SSD performance has nothing to do with downloading assets. Cannnot load in whats not there.

Killjoy-NL

SSD performance has nothing to do with downloading assets. Cannnot load in whats not there.
Yes, you're right.
I misread your post.

Not sure if it's really going to be an issue though, depending on the game.
Downloadspeeds on PS5 are rather fast.

Besides, don't they have this system in place already, where you can download and play a first chapter while the rest downloads in the background?
If they do it in chunks, it's only expanding on an already existing system.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It must just be a continuation or improvement on what they introduced with the PS4.

I dont really see games using it now tho.

They touted this on Playstation. I don't think I've partially download any game on playstation and got beyond the title screen before being told to wait for the rest of the game.
One of the first games it worked well for was Watch Dogs 1. Granted, after you got to a certain point you had to wait for the rest to download. I think it was right after the first hide from police in your car part.

Drake

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Guild Wars 2 had this implemented years ago. You could literally download like 15% of the game and it would continue to download and install while you were in the starting area. It was a little more complicated if you had a preexisting character in an end game area. Basically it would still download that initial 15% and the when you tried to load into that end game area it had to download the area map and assets while it was loading which increased the initial load time a bit. Still a cool feature though.

Krieger

I don't really see the point of this.Nowadays a 1GB internet connection is the standard. It takes me longer to copy a 40GB game from the disk to the SSD than it takes me to download a 100GB game.

This will be an hyperbole but, this reminded me that Sony is a gaming company, for how long do we only read news about them only for this political topics instead of actual gaming related innovation?

Kuranghi

There is limited functionality for that now and it's pretty neat. It would be a lot better if they can continually download the game. In most I've tried, I hit a wall early on where I have to wait for the download to finish.

Yeah in fact I feel like every game ever I've done that with has at best blocked me early or at worst just main menu blocked.

I take my time in games and don't rush, in fact I'd say I'd be near the highest counts for playtime, for example just finished RE4 Remake first run not that long ago and it was insane like 40+ hours but I did do and read everything

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
didn't read the whole thing but how is this different than what I do on Ubisoft connect when it let me play while the game is being downloaded.
They already do that and like Crayon Crayon said, you hit the brick wall and have to wait for the rest to download, even worse if you've already played the game and continuing from where you left off
A patent? Companies already do this.
Isn't this the way it already works, you're able to start playing most games when they reach a certain threshold while the rest downloads / copies in the background.

Between this and the dynamic difficulty patent, it's weird to see them trying to patent things which are already commonly used.
Microsoft has done this for years and it doesn’t make much difference.
I thought they already did this? Works pretty well as it is right now IMO.

But it was more useful when I had a slower internet connection.

Every post about patents bring on the same questions. "Why is this being patented?", "Doesn't this company already do this?"

They're not patenting the idea. They are patenting their specific methodology to making this work. It could be a feature they already have, but if they find a better more efficient way of doing it that is different enough from how it is currently being done, they can file a patent for it.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

'wait?! but i don't wanna wait! i want it now!'...

Every few days I must deal with a grown man who MUST have a 75 or 85" TV that day at that moment and when I explain it must be delivered I tell him to go to Costco. Then he'll say "but I have a van!" 🤦🏻

It's pretty funny though when they never specified that at the start of the conversation and then Costco doesn't stock that particular model and they start asking about best alternatives and I'm like "uhhh sorry I have to help someone else who is going to buy a TV here, sozbro. I'm sure the costco guys will be well versed in the intricacies of television technology 🤖"

Perrott

Gold Member
I remember starting to play The Last Of Us Part II as it was being downloaded and having a great experience making use of the pre-load feature.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How is this new? Not sure what it's like on PS, but on Xbox you download the game and most of the time you can start playing the game before it's fully installed.

The system even tells you the game is ready early by saying "Ready to Start" while the downloading bar keeps going.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
People play games while they're getting downloaded? Did humanity lose its patience? Is good internet speed a rarity? I've had 1000Mbps speeds at 10 euros for like an eternity.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don’t need that. I am happy to wait 30 minutes until disc installs. Maybe some tea, go to the bathroom and it’s done

Megatron

Sony should patent motion controls and VR headsets next. Patents are really easy when you can just patent stuff we already have.

dottme

Mobile games are doing this like crazy. But they are also cut in smaller area so it's easier to split the download.
Edit: I read a little and my understanding is the big innovation is to split the download in a more dynamic way. It can be splitted in different size based on the playtime and the download speed.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Mobile games are doing this like crazy. But they are also cut in smaller area so it's easier to split the download.
Edit: I read a little and my understanding is the big innovation is to split the download in a more dynamic way. It can be splitted in different size based on the playtime and the download speed.
S-Sacrebleu!

Waifu mignon!

341531.jpg

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Let's break it down

playtime information is associated with the application chunk information,

playtime information is an estimated time for one or more similar users to reach a chosen state or landmark in the application

predicting a download duration from the application chunk information and network information

comparing predicted download duration to stored playtime information

installing the previously received application chunk when the predicted download duration is less than the stored playtime information

Could be wrong, but I think it's a method to install chunks of a game once the predicted download duration is less than the estimated time for a player to reach a specific part in the game.

I think it means it will install the downloaded chunk on the fly if the player is still a little far from the "specific part" in the game, otherwise it won't install because the player will reach that part before the download has completed.

Apparently it's based on the player's network info (how fast/stable it is) and the type of player (hardcore, casual?)

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
They already do that and like
Well, no, 'they' don't(if you mean Sony). Currently the method is entirely hand driven by developers, which is also why its so limited.

The whole problem space here isn't really about prediction (that's the easiest part by far) its how to generalize data dependency trees and subdivision into functional blocks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom