• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

I love the denpa Onna OP. But I don't have to tell you guys that I'm sure.

Cajun, I read through Faster Than A Kiss in my absence from AnimeGAF and all I could think of is how you'd be all over the anime (if it existed) for one reason: Teppei

Check out the manga if you haven't. As far as slowjo goes, it's not nearly as rage-inducing as it could have been (I guess the short serialization helped).

Theonik

So I finally managed to gather the willpower to finish Fujiko.
LUPIN III MINE FUJIKO XIII FINOWLE
iyl8ITMZqupvd.png

Saving the wacky face budget for the last episode, this actually looks Lupinish!
No no no, that's not the way it happened. Shall I start again? It's impressive how the series in its last 2 episodes manages to basically retcon the rest of the series almost in their entirety. Like they had a certain ending in mind but realised half way that they were drifting in an entirely different direction and decided to put the show back "on track" in one fell swoop. Only that that path is what dragged the show back in the first place although, now, at least after the retconning the show actually begun to make a lick of sense. Though it felt forced as fuck. They need to be congratulated too since they managed to keep with the owl shtick until almost the very end. Of course I said almost making sense because really they didn't even conclude everything properly.
ibp0IvKym0mahL.png

Lupin keeping his priorities straight
This whole anime is an example of something that could have been so great and started on a high note but then quickly descended on a pile of hot steamy poo, But I tend to finish what I start so here we are. It was actually fun at parts to watch for the rare random parts where one could say "that was decent animation there!".
TL:DR

cajunator

Banned
Need new anime to watch.Hmmmm. Probably more HC, or some Utena.

Good choice.

Cajun, I read through Faster Than A Kiss in my absence from AnimeGAF and all I could think of is how you'd be all over the anime (if it existed) for one reason: Teppei

Check out the manga if you haven't. As far as slowjo goes, it's not nearly as rage-inducing as it could have been (I guess the short serialization helped).

You have piqued my interest.
*checks

Yes its definitely piqued.

We are doing the annual top ten list now? I want in!

The only one that is in any order is #1.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Shiki
Cowboy Bebop
Digimon Tamers
Moribito
Princess Jellyfish
Devilman Lady
Madoka
Wandering Son
Dragon Ball (gateway anime)

Have we ever had a gateway anime discussion/thread on GAF? That would be interesting.

Mine was definitely Sailor Moon.

Mine was Naruto...if that Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm demo never hit PS3, and I wasnt bored enough to just download that demo that day, and then get so enthralled by our favorite ninja that I immediately bought it all on iTunes swiftly, then I think I wouldnt be here now. I think it serves as a testament to the quality of naruto when it served as the conduit to get me into more anime and manga.Angel beats was the first anime that got me into following each anime season or whatever.

Jex

You can't get more annoying than simply throwing images out there, that's for certain!

It has a certain 'well, if you don't know what these shows are then you're obviously not informed enough' tone to it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You can't get more annoying than simply throwing images out there, that's for certain!

It has a certain 'well, if you don't know what these shows are then you're obviously not informed enough' tone to it.
It definitely shows you want to show off more than inform.

NewFresh

Have we ever had a gateway anime discussion/thread on GAF? That would be interesting.

Mine was definitely Sailor Moon.

Sailor Moon was my first anime and my "Anime before I knew what anime was" show.

It's why I decried myself a jerk for doing it.

7Th

Don't forget the "I only use quality official art by the character designer" part; only noobs use fanart, screencaps or vectors.

Jex

[Jinrui] 1 - 2 Rewatch

These episodes are still, unsurprisingly, very good. If I still find something amusing the third time round that must mean that it's pretty good. The liveliness in the direction, scenario and characters here is much stronger than in following two episodes. The pacing is pretty snappy as well, barring a segment that runs slightly too long in the second episode.

It really gives me hope that, at some point, the show will return to this kind of form.

cajunator

Banned
[Jinrui] 1 - 2 Rewatch

These episodes are still, unsurprisingly, very good. If I still find something amusing the third time round that must mean that it's pretty good. The liveliness in the direction, scenario and characters here is much stronger than in following two episodes. The pacing is pretty snappy as well, barring a segment that runs slightly too long in the second episode.

It really gives me hope that, at some point, the show will return to this kind of form.

Watashi is a goddess, alongside Sawa from Tari Tari.

Jex

[Gankustsuou] 9 - 12 (Rewatch)

I still don't know how this show came about, or why it works at all, but I am always surprised how well it holds together. This is my third time watching this material and it still holds up.

Dynedom

Just to clarify: I may have seen glimpses of other anime when I was younger but Sailor Moon was the first anime I actively watched.

My world was turned upside down when I eventually learned Zoisite was a man. Boo, American censors! (Yeah, I only found about this through wikipedia and a few years ago...)

I think I should rewatch Sailor Moon.

cajunator

Banned
I think some of the first anime I watched when I was old enough to know what it is was OVA's such as Burn Up W, Gunsmith Cats, Plastic Little, Iczelion, ad Iria:Zeiram the Animation off of the Scifi channel.

Dynedom

you have good taste. It was mine too!

I think the order of major broadcasted anime when I started watching was Sailor Moon followed by Dragonball. Those 2 shows were pretty big. Then Dragonball Z and the pokemon anime came along after I left Toronto for Dubai and boom. Huge anime craze.

I was a huge Digimon mark back in the day.

Pokemon, Digimon, Sailor Moon

The trifecta of major 90's anime in Canada, by my reckoning. Although like I mentioned, you'd have to toss in Dragonball.

Mature

I think some of the first anime I watched when I was old enough to know what it is was OVA's such as Burn Up W, Gunsmith Cats, Plastic Little, Iczelion, ad Iria:Zeiram the Animation off of the Scifi channel.
I'm not sure I would consider it "gateway", but this is the same for me. I watched Akira and Beautiful Dreamer on Sci-Fi and my little head nearly exploded, naturally.

NewFresh

I think the order of major broadcasted anime when I started watching was Sailor Moon followed by Dragonball. Those 2 shows were pretty big. Then Dragonball Z and the pokemon anime came along after I left Toronto for Dubai and boom. Huge anime craze.

I was a huge Digimon mark back in the day.

I didn't "boom" until a few years ago (Maybe 5 or so).

The trifecta of major 90's anime in Canada, by my reckoning. Although like I mentioned, you'd have to toss in Dragonball

Major Mexican anime: Dragonball & Z, Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya

Jex

[Tari Tari] - 2

I've decided to pick this show up again after reading a number of positive episode impressions. Or was that just funny .gifs? I can't really remember.

Anyway, the show itself seems to be rather standard and inoffensive, which may count as a small miracle in this day and age. There are two stand out elements to the work, as far as I am concerned. One of them is good, the other is bad.

Firstly, the characters all seem fairly distinct and interesting. They are certainly a step above the usual terrible clichés, however they're still completely inferior to a really great cast, such as the one found in Wondering Son.

Secondly, the character designs in this show are kind of...wut. There are two girls with literally the same face and hairstyle. How does this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom