• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novel ‘Shanghai Summer’ Gets February Release Date in New Trailer

Astrolabe Games announced that the FUTU Studio-developed visual novel Shanghai Summer will be released on PC via Steam on February 8, 2024, Noisy Pixel reports. The publisher revealed that the game offers a short but immersive nostalgic journey back to the city of Shanghai at the turn of the millennium.

ABOUT THIS GAME​

Title_Screen_EN.gif

The Story

Shanghai, 2003

Suddenly, Baichuan senses something is not right with his life - sometimes, he feels he can see his memories, so real yet so unfamiliar. This all seems to begin with an unexpected invitation from Baichuan's ex-girlfriend, Qiuyu, who has been away for many years.

Twelve summer days, just like twelve lucid dreams...

"The time seems to be working anomalously on you."

Hospital_EN.gif

The Characters

Dream-chasing, freelancer artist - Fengyi;
Troubled and misguided high school student - Xiaobo;
A university student who is burdened by her family's issue - Jingxian.

Even though their lives are a total mess, they still manage to carry on, embrace and accept their "regrets", and live to the fullest.

Inqury_EN.gif

The Gameplay

Through the 'Topics' and 'Clues' gathered from everyday life, dive deep into the hearts and minds of your dearest friends.

To be comforted by them; To be inspired by them; To turn all the little things that happened in your life into your own strength, and eventually, at the finale of the twelfth night –

To " fix" the shattered dream.

Street_EN.gif

The Stages

Classrooms, Bookstore "What-If", Neighbourhood Cafe...

Much of every boy and girl's life revolves around such a mundane city scene. And it is precisely within the mundanity that some new possibilities exist. The key to turning one's fate around may very much be held in the hand of someone passing by among the crowds on the streets...

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I could be wrong I think they got their influence from 13 Sentinels…..but background needs work, its too static and flat….especially compare to 13 Sentinel’s background art.
13sentinels-yuki-takamiya.gif

you see cars moving and there is whole crowed of people moving around which makes the scene feel alive.

and that night lighting is just…..
perfection-perfect.gif

Last edited:
I could be wrong I think they got their influence from 13 Sentinels…..but background needs work, its too static and flat….especially compare to 13 Sentinel’s background art.
13sentinels-yuki-takamiya.gif

you see cars moving and there is whole crowed of people moving around which makes the scene feel alive.

and that night lighting is just…..
perfection-perfect.gif
Yeah, there's a bit of inspiration there, but it's somewhat unfair to compare this rather new studio which only put out one game so far (Souls of Chronos) with Vanillaware who had ~15 years to hone their craft before releasing 13 Sentinels...

Anyway, I've added it to my wishlist since it looks fine to me, and will probably pick it up on Switch. :p

Last edited:
modern Shanghai feels kinda too similar with any other big cities like NYC or Tokyo for me. I rather wish there is a game that has the setting around old Shanghai, maybe around the 1930s (maybe all the way to 1950s). during all the infightings in the country, the city divided by all the different gangs, and war just around the corner. that would require a very confident writer to weave a good story but it would be a really good one for sure. too bad it would most likely not pass the CCP's guidelines, so won't be expecting it from a mainland China company.

Top Bottom