• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animation Appreciation - Feature Lengths Only

What do you think of the other 2?
Haven't watched them so therefore I have no opinion on the matter.
Chicken run. Really?
oblivious-ignore.gif

2. Fire & Ice (1983)
L8N4bVE.gif
Look at the definition and form of a woman's body, it's something breath-taking and divine. Bakshi is known for the animated LOTR movie, but I hear this is probably his best work, for obvious reasons ;)
That first Netlfix anthology ("Love, Sex and Robots"?) was pretty damned good as well.
Akira
Wicked city
Ninja Scroll
VampireHunter D 85'
Golgo13 83'
Fist of the North Star 86'
Ghost in the Shell
Fire and Ice
Cowboy Beebop film
The last 3 episodes of Samurai Champloo is basicly a 90min send off film.

Dead Leaves
Redline

Also a shout out to American Tale which is the best western animation of all time IMO.
nQSC17L.png

Three maximum? Aw gee :lollipop_wink_tongue:
The topic of the thread involves feature length animated movies and there's a three submission limit for each member.
the-rules-are-simple-saturday-night-live.gif
you-will-bow-down-before-me-general-zod.gif

True Grit Remake is fantastic, loved that ending especially
7c2ba2c8-5d03-4a35-b229-286e82a944e8_text.gif

Funny enough I hated The Shining movie by Kubrick
shining4.gif

Spirited away, because of the reasons OP mentioned. It’s so easy to get lost in this film, like being a person trapped inside this wonderland as well. It’s in so many places unpredictable, so totally different than normal films. Every set piece and new character hits you with imagination, enough for one Disney movie alone.
I'm pleased you were happy about my reasons, but I honestly don't remember much about the movie aside from the scenery. I should probably watch it fully and appreciate it for the artistry.
Ok, as always me coming to rescue the thread with the best selection.

3. Suzume
2. Weathering with you
1. Your name

No need to thank me. It was my pleasure
Wow, talk about an absolute prisoner of the moment. All of these movies are only a couple years old. I watched Weathering With You at the cinema and thought it was entertaining on the whole, I planned to watch Suzume as well though I missed the screening.

CGNoire

Look at the definition and form of a woman's body, it's something breath-taking and divine. Bakshi is known for the animated LOTR movie, but I hear this is probably his best work, for obvious reasons ;)

There is a doc about Frazetta that covers some of the story behind the making of Fire n Ice called "Playing with Fire". In it him and Bakeshi talk about how they auditioned a plethora of hot models for this film and because of the fact that the characters would be required no cloths on to get the rototscoping right the models all had to audition nude. They said it was the best day of the entire production. Kind of sleazy but also makes ya a little jelly.

Frazetta really knows his voluptuous Female form and they nailed it.

Also James Gurney painted the backgrounds.

Last edited:
There is a doc about Frazetta that covers some of the story behind the making of Fire n Ice called "Playing with Fire". In it him and Bakeshi talk about how they auditioned a plethora of hot models for this film and because of the fact that the characters would be required no cloths on to get the rototscoping right the models all had to audition nude. They said it was the best day of the entire production. Kind of sleazy but also makes ya a little jelly.

Frezetta really knows his voluptuous Female form and they nailed it.

You broke the rules of my thread by exceeding the submission limit, but with this newfound evidence,
200w.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member

Frezetta really knows his voluptuous Female form and they nailed it.

Eh, in the 70's I doubt the girls cared much. The puritanical streak from the 50's had long since faded and the "new puritan" streak we have now was far off. Those girls were hot, knew they were hot, and maximized their value using their hotness.

Anyone seen Wizards? I know I MUST have but damned if I have any recollection of it.
JWqyPVk.jpg

Same with Fritz the Cat

hj7X86h.gif

Damn, I miss guys on drugs making stuff :p

Seth Rogan doesn't cut it :p

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Haven't watched them so therefore I have no opinion on the matter.

oblivious-ignore.gif

The topic of the thread involves feature length animated movies and there's a three submission limit for each member.
the-rules-are-simple-saturday-night-live.gif
you-will-bow-down-before-me-general-zod.gif

7c2ba2c8-5d03-4a35-b229-286e82a944e8_text.gif

shining4.gif

I'm pleased you were happy about my reasons, but I honestly don't remember much about the movie aside from the scenery. I should probably watch it fully and appreciate it for the artistry.

Wow, talk about an absolute prisoner of the moment. All of these movies are only a couple years old. I watched Weathering With You at the cinema and thought it was entertaining on the whole, I planned to watch Suzume as well though I missed the screening.
Bakshi was actually better known for Wizards, Fire & Ice and Fritz the Cat. He was given a lot of credit for how his team work on LotR. However, they goofed on some of the rotoscoping and you have a few scenes of live action as a result. He's denied that but my guess is they rushed at that stage in production and just figured no one would notice.

I would have used a better Fire & Ice GIF but they were all too big for default. Unfortunately, the GIF posted is choppy and low res.

You forgot to highlight 'feature length films.' A lot of TV shows here ;)

Top Bottom