• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
huh really? even I liked fate/zero I thought everything on ann got a 10/10 "Oscar worthy it saved my life, if it wasn't for this anime helping me through a dark time in my life I would probably be died on some streetcorner"review.

Review of episodes 1-6.

And part of his defense of said review in the talkback forum:

Upon further examination of my conscience, I think my incredibly averse reaction to early Fate/Zero is not just the excessive exposition and dialogue, but that it combines elements like magic, battle, complex interwoven plots, and emo self-introspection ... in other words, Pretentious Weeaboo Things that wannabe fantasy authors and OEL manga artists do.

Another ANN review did give it a better review, though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Dont worry, Im about 30 miles north of the coast area where you see the blue/pink line.
It will get a bit rough, but I'm in a safe area.

Good good!

Hmm, I guess now that Jinrui has three good episodes its on the same level as Sankarea.

Your words seem so hateful beneath that gentlemanly exterior.

It's hard not to be disappointed in anime sometimes, I can see where he's coming from.

Wait, so ANN says that about Fate Zero, and they critically acclaimed BLACK ROCK SHOOTER?
WTFITS?

Wat? I'm not the biggest F/Z fan but that's just fuckin' bonkers!

jbug617

Banned
As long as you're not talking about Sawa...

tumblr_m97d7qv1Sd1qzd219o1_500.gif

Jex

Review of episodes 1-6.

And part of his defense of said review in the talkback forum:

Another ANN review did give it a better review, though.
I don't think it really matters, to me at least, whether they 'like' a work or not. That's not something I am concerned about.

I am far more concerned about the actual argument that they construct to back up their position. From my, admittedly limited, experience with the site they tend to be poorly thought-out and filled to the brim with fallacies, both formal and informal. Many of them struggle to rise above the level of a forum post.

I don't think it really matters, to me at least, whether they 'like' a work or not. That's not something I am concerned about.

I am far more concerned about the actual argument that they construct to back up their position. From my, admittedly limited, experience with the site they tend to be poorly thought-out and filled to the brim with fallacies, both formal and informal. Many of them struggle to rise above the level of a forum post.
I have to wonder how many people take them seriously. It's my understanding that ANN is a very popular website, but that could just be from the database side of it.

Mandoric

Banned
In Dezaki Watch, a trademark technique of his made an appearance: the three-fold pan. This is when you pan three times over a static image, the first two times quickly and the last time slowly, in order to invest a dynamic moment with visual energy without actually animating anything. He often used this when depicting an athletic event, such as basketball or tennis, and its usage in this episode, for the principal's volleyball serve, falls into that pattern.

Just going to chip in here. This technique likely crosspollenated into Hidamari via SZS, where it's a several-times-an-episode cliche used to introduce major characters; during the later parts of X365 and episode EX especially, there was a lot of stylistic interplay within SHAFT between the two series. If I wave a chance to rewatch, I'll point out other scenes where this happened.

Yuru Yuri 9

Despite several great moments, particularly the scene with Akane, this was a pretty mediocre episode. Once again, so much time was wasted on the dreadful Chinatsu.

Next episode should be much, much better, since Ayano, Kyouko, and Yui seem far more prevalent.

BluWacky

I have to wonder how many people take them seriously. It's my understanding that ANN is a very popular website, but that could just be from the database side of it.

ANN has been around for years. Although it's not as old as, say, Anipike (which is now long irrelevant), ANN's pretty much the granddaddy of anime news sites in the English world, and now that they actually have people translating Yaraon articles etc. it's also pretty up to date.

There aren't many sites that offer a similar portal-esque experience for anime out there, and they have a good breadth of coverage of both manga and anime as well as the database. While I don't necessarily agree with their opinions on things, I can't begrudge the site's success.

As for Zac Bertschy, to be perfectly honest I agree with the kernel of what he says about a lot of things, but could really do without the inflammatory way he presents his opinions as it just causes drama both on the site and in threads like this.

cajunator

Banned
For good reviews I used to refer to a site called animeondvd. Some guy with an awful lot of expendable income named Chris Beveridge bought up almost every DVD and reviewed it quite professionally, and I felt his scores were pretty fair. I think it was sold or absorbed into another site, because his reviews show up here.

This is an example of his reviews.

DiGiKerot

For good reviews I used to refer to a site called animeondvd. Some guy with an awful lot of expendable income named Chris Beveridge bought up almost every DVD and reviewed it quite professionally, and I felt his scores were pretty fair. I think it was sold or absorbed into another site, because his reviews show up here.

Yeah, he sold his site a while back and worked for them for a while. These days he runs/writes the still-covers-anime-but-less-anime-specific Fandom Post.

BluWacky

Chris Beveridge sold AnimeOnDVD to Mania. While presumably a sound business move, it was a terrible artistic one - no-one had ever heard of Mania, no-one could actually read the reviews as the front end is so terrible, and eventually even he gave up and set up Fandom Post instead.

EDIT: beaten! We had some good times on those old forums... DiGi are you still active on either Mania or Fandom Post's boards? I kind of fell off them after I couldn't afford to buy DVDs for a couple of years and never really went back.

ANN has been around for years. Although it's not as old as, say, Anipike (which is now long irrelevant), ANN's pretty much the granddaddy of anime news sites in the English world, and now that they actually have people translating Yaraon articles etc. it's also pretty up to date.

There aren't many sites that offer a similar portal-esque experience for anime out there, and they have a good breadth of coverage of both manga and anime as well as the database. While I don't necessarily agree with their opinions on things, I can't begrudge the site's success.

As for Zac Bertschy, to be perfectly honest I agree with the kernel of what he says about a lot of things, but could really do without the inflammatory way he presents his opinions as it just causes drama both on the site and in threads like this.
Ah, I didn't mean to dump on ANN as a whole as my experiences with it are limited to the database(good stuff) and whatever gets posted or discussed here on GAF.

And his questionable delivery is getting him free publicity here and likely elsewhere, so there's that.

Narag

I used to lurk that site too. Even submitted an easter egg! It sold me on some weird stuff and introduced me to other things like Blue Submarine No. 6 and was my first exposure to Princess Nine.

Narag

Ah, I didn't mean to dump on ANN as a whole as my experiences with it are limited to the database(good stuff) and whatever gets posted or discussed here on GAF.

And his questionable delivery is getting him free publicity here and likely elsewhere, so there's that.

Unfortunately, even the db is sadly suspect from what I've read on here.

I'll certainly agree to your point that the content is what matters in writing reviews; I probably should have said a more favorable scoring towards Fate/Zero rather than a better review. What gets me about ANN is the (at least at times) condescending and pretentious tone they take, which extends to Zac and the ANNCast (though they were better about it in the most recent episode).

cajunator

Banned
I used to lurk that site too. Even submitted an easter egg! It sold me on some weird stuff and introduced me to other things like Blue Submarine No. 6 and was my first exposure to Princess Nine.

Yeah I think his review (plus the fact that it was really fucking cute) is what sold me on Popotan initially. He really loved that series.

DiGiKerot

EDIT: beaten! We had some good times on those old forums... DiGi are you still active on either Mania or Fandom Post's boards? I kind of fell off them after I couldn't afford to buy DVDs for a couple of years and never really went back.

I still visit occasionally, though more to talk about iM@S news than anime. I'll sporadically post about shows I'm particularly interested in, but there's a handful of strong personalities who tend to dominate discussion a little too much these days whom I don't always agree with but don't really want to get into an argument with either. I'm not really into anime for that kind of stress ^^;

Narag

Yeah I think his review (plus the fact that it was really fucking cute) is what sold me on Popotan initially. He really loved that series.

I ended up buying a particular dvd player that was recommended on that site so often due to how well it handled interlaced stuff. Strange times.

cajunator

Banned
I think ANN is at least as reliable for info as Wikipedia. Which is to say for basic information its pretty reliable, but for specific details they tend to get some things wrong.

cajunator

Banned
It was some modestly priced Pioneer model with a particular chipset or something. I used to get compliments all the time on how nice stuff looked. Wanted to gouge my eyes out when it died and I was left with a PS2 for dvd needs.

I used to rely on a built in DVD player in my old TV. It always skipped and crashed on those pathetically poorly manufactured early anime discs and generally drove me crazy.

Mandoric

Banned
I'm not really sure how to spot flaws in ANN database though. Is it with staff or what?
what do they get incorrect?

They don't always get names right
They don't always get all the credits
Sometimes they add extra ones by mistake
At some point, they merged all entries for a name down to one entry, so for particular common names there can be three or four people who all share a single entry

For shows, all the impacts on shows that the above causes, plus they're very bad with show and episode titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom