• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop making me put the controller down...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you don't want to play a game like death stranding then don't play it. It's that simple really. There are plenty of games out there that are balls to the wall all out gameplay, play those instead.
will smith no GIF

Swift_Star

Banned
If you don't want to play a game like death stranding then don't play it. It's that simple really. There are plenty of games out there that are balls to the wall all out gameplay, play those instead.
This is what I don’t understand. OP wants the game to be how he thinks they should be… but… what about other people like me and lots of others that like the game exactly the way they are? The devs made what they thought they should make. What op needs to do here is chose better the game he wants to play, not bitching because a game doesn’t fit what he feels a game “should” be.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
These reductive arguments are funny. " You don't like this aspect of a game? throw the whole game away" scroll up to see my response tho this kind of all or nothing comment.

GHG

These reductive arguments are funny. " You don't like this aspect of a game? throw the whole game away" scroll up to see my response tho this kind of all or nothing comment.

You're asking the games creator to strip away an element of the game that is integral to the overall experience. That makes no sense.

There is a thing called artistic freedom, there is no set rule for what can and can't be part of the medium, and you certainly don't get to decide that.

Don't like it, don't play it, simple as that. It's not reductive, it's logical.

This is what I don’t understand. OP wants the game to be how he thinks they should be… but… what about other people like me and lots of others that like the game exactly the way they are? The devs made what they thought they should make. What op needs to do here is chose better the game he wants to play, not bitching because a game doesn’t fit what he feels a game “should” be.
I'm just a small boy from brooklyn ny...I have no power over the direction of a game like death stranding. I'm expressing my thoughts and criticism of a game I love more than most. I welcome criticisms of my criticism. But lets not straw man or be reductive, I'm saying that this aspect of a game like death stranding in my opinion takes away from what it, and most video games do the best...gameplay. In my little brooklyn opinion DS could have been an even better game if it told the story in a way that was included in the SUPERB gameplay. Making a delivery while both avoiding BTs and conquering the terrain was some of the best fun I ever had in a game. In my opinion having to stop that fun to watch 30 minutes of exposition when the same exposition could have been told/done in gameplay segments only could improve the game...now thats just my opinion. I welcome any push back but the " just play other games" is the laziest form of a rebuttal. Especially when 90% of the game I love.

You're asking the games creator to strip away an element of the game that is integral to the overall experience. That makes no sense.

There is a thing called artistic freedom, there is no set rule for what can and can't be part of the medium, and you certainly don't get to decide that.

Don't like it, don't play it, simple as that. It's not reductive, it's logical.
I'm not asking the creator to do anything. i'm talking to other video game enthusiast about aspects of games I may like and others may. So dramatic, think im sending kojima threats "change this or else". Artistic freedom also doesn't mean you cant discuss aspects you may or may not like. It means creators don't have to listen to it, but find me one creator who doesn't want people discussing the games they make.

arvfab

Banned
Bloodborne is a cinematic game to me

What? Elden Ring, too, because it has some cutscenes?

Nope, nope, nope, nope. You leave my properly directed with beautiful camera angles cutscenes alone. It's a reward for a gameplay section that you just completed, you can play Pacman or something if that bothers you.

This. I remember when reaching a FMV in Final Fantasy was a way to track and compare progress with friends.

GHG

I'm not asking the creator to do anything. i'm talking to other video game enthusiast about aspects of games I may like and others may. So dramatic, think im sending kojima threats "change this or else". Artistic freedom also doesn't mean you cant discuss aspects you may or may not like. It means creators don't have to listen to it, but find me one creator who doesn't want people discussing the games they make.

The problem is there's no logical discussion to be had here. The cutscenes in the games you discuss are an important and critical part of the experience. You also have the option to skip them.

So what exactly are you asking for?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have bigger problem with games like RDR2 that have long over played animation just for simple looting for sake of “immersion” to me that just waste of time.

At least well made cutscenes are fun to watch.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Like I said: the games are what they are. Play what you like better.

Kokoloko85

You play a Kojima game you should expect this. All his games are like this. 90% of JRPG’s Too including Final Fantasy especially 4 onwards.

Zelda too. Halo had cinematics too. And Gears. And Max Payne. And Sonic Adventure. Shen mue. And so many games

People need to stop acting like this is a new thing for AAA games. Dialogue and cinematics have been in games way before PS4 and Sony’s 1st party games…..…

But haters will try to Hate and attempt to make it a thing

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You play a Kojima game you should expect this. All his games are like this. 90% of JRPG’s Too including Final Fantasy especially 4 onwards.

Zelda too. Halo had cinematics too. And Gears. And Max Payne. And Sonic Adventure. Shen mue. And so many games

People need to stop acting like this is a new thing for AAA games. Dialogue and cinematics have been in games way before PS4 and Sony’s 1st party games…..…

But haters will try to Hate and attempt to make it a thing
It's only bad when Sony does it though. Please understand.

The problem is there's no logical discussion to be had here. The cutscenes in the games you discuss are an important and critical part of the experience. You also have the option to skip them.

So what exactly are you asking for?
It's not a discussion on logic but art. I said in my OP that I would like games to more implement story in the gameplay not just gameplay , exposition dump, gameplay, exposition dump. I'm not a game designer so I can't give exact examples, I know some games do it well...fromsoft, playdead, edith finch etc....edith finch is a great example because most of the story was told during the game. But this is one aspect of what makes a game great. I never said the games that dont are automatically bad, but I'd personally like to see it. But no game is perfect, I never played a game where I love every single last element of the game. Well just inside.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's not a discussion on logic but art. I said in my OP that I would like games to more implement story in the gameplay not just gameplay , exposition dump, gameplay, exposition dump. I'm not a game designer so I can't give exact examples, I know some games do it well...fromsoft, playdead, edith finch etc....edith finch is a great example because most of the story was told during the game. But this is one aspect of what makes a game great. I never said the games that dont are automatically bad, but I'd personally like to see it. But no game is perfect, I never played a game where I love every single last element of the game. Well just inside.

The issue is that it requires risk and innovation to do anything storytelling related outside of the two opposite poles, those being exclusively in cutscenes, or exposition banter/walking segments. Which honestly serves no one, because people like you will have their eyes glaze over during a long scene, and people like me will miss everything in gameplay banter because I'm trying to win a gunfight against seven people while my CO is talking about philosophy and the history of the 500 year war.

Indie games are basically the test bed for this shit, because the cost to produce versus the loss when something isn't popular isn't into the 9 digit figures. Gaming is sort of at an evolutionary dead end, so to speak, until some mad lad takes serious risks again.

GHG

That's my original point though. You're asking for all games to be made a certain way to suit your tastes. There are billions of people who play videogames, some people have eclectic tastes and have the ability to enjoy a wide range games, and there will even be others who only enjoy the type of game you want to get rid of.

You're essentially asking for homogeneity in a medium that best thrives on variety and artistic freedom. Doesn't make any sense. Take things as they are, appreciate them for what they are and play what you want to play. That's all there is to it really.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Sounds like your typical Kojima chicanery. Were you expecting anything different?
He's one of the biggest reasons cinematic games plague the industry to this day.

Wohc

Banned
If you don't like tons of talking, why do you play a cinematic? I don't know any cinematic that it's worth playing it just for the gameplay. It's like playing football with a flat ball. You can play it, but there is no fun left.

That's my original point though. You're asking for all games to be made a certain way to suit your tastes. There are billions of people who play videogames, some people have eclectic tastes and have the ability to enjoy a wide range games, and there will even be others who only enjoy the type of game you want to get rid of.

You're essentially asking for homogeneity in a medium that best thrives on variety and artistic freedom. Doesn't make any sense. Take things as they are, appreciate them for what they are and play what you want to play. That's all there is to it really.
I disagree. I'm not asking for third person action games to be iso metric rpgs, or platformers to be racers. Variety still exist, and theres a space for passivity in gaming. But the issue is that most AAA games rely on very narrow pool of design philosophy to make their games. It's not a new idea that games of a certain ilk (financially) all feel similar. My point to this very specific thing is that when it comes to cutscenes at the end of the day these are video games and theres a way we can keep gameplay as the primary focus. If you dialed down on the cutscenes in both death stranding and Gears of War the games are still very different at their core. Saying that variety disappears if you change that aspect is simply wrong.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
you ignored the other two games i posted.
Because I didn't play those games and my point still stands, there are variety of games and they all have their own way to tell their story.

I personally LOVE how 13 Sentinels told its story but it doesn't mean every game should be try be like that.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I disagree. I'm not asking for third person action games to be iso metric rpgs, or platformers to be racers. Variety still exist, and theres a space for passivity in gaming. But the issue is that most AAA games rely on very narrow pool of design philosophy to make their games. It's not a new idea that games of a certain ilk (financially) all feel similar. My point to this very specific thing is that when it comes to cutscenes at the end of the day these are video games and theres a way we can keep gameplay as the primary focus. If you dialed down on the cutscenes in both death stranding and Gears of War the games are still very different at their core. Saying that variety disappears if you change that aspect is simply wrong.
And that’s your opinion, but other people like the way they are now. I like cutscene heavy games. Why should they be toned down just because you think they should?

Topher

Gold Member

No, it isn't. Some people like those cutscenes. Dialing down cutscenes to suit your personal preferences means those people don't get to have them simply because you don't like them. That is less variety.

Bottom line is not all games are for everyone. Stay away from games with long cutscenes and stick to games you like. Everybody will be better off, I think.

And that’s your opinion, but other people like the way they are now. I like cutscene heavy games. Why should they be toned down just because you think they should?
I respect all opinions. I never said anyone is wrong. I keep saying "I think" since its a subjective topic.

And, as you were told multiple times already, a lot of us like the games the way they are. There’s really no point to this discussion.
Some people will agree, some will disagree...is there a point to any discussion?

Edit: dont take it too seriously...if its pointless you can always skip the discussion.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Yeah Kojima. Finished mgs4 at 4 am and then had to watch like an hour of cut scenes. Fuck that.

Side note, you said Essential. Is that the base tier. I have Extra and I thought it only came with the 2nd tier

RCU005

I love cutscenes because Iove story games. People complained a lot about MGS4 but my jaw dropped when the final fight was actually playable and I thought it was a cutscene until they stopped moving and I was "oh shit! I can control this?!"

So it's a mixture of both gameplay and cutscenes that these games work the best. Uncharted 2 huge set pieces wouldn't have worked if you didn't have these great cutscenes to make you confused and surprised that you could actually play them and not watch them.

Then, there's the other side of the coin. MGS V didn't have many cutscenes and many people complained too. Nobody wanted to hear the story via recordings.

I think a AAA game needs those cutscenes. If the story is the focus, then you should expect a lot of cutscenes. Even Mario Galaxy very basic story made the gamplay feel more epic joined with the outstanding music.

I guess that people need to accept that there are story-focused games, like there are gameplay-focused ones, and both are great depending on what you want to play at the time.

The issue is that not all games balance their gameplay and cutscenes flow, so they feel off. It's not much about the amount but more about the implementation and direction of them.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
This was the thought of every developer in he mid 2000s, which is why everything moved to forced walk/limp/chat gameplay "experiences", with "squeeze slowly through a small space" sections thrown in to spice it up.

Just give me skippable cutscenes and nuke that cinematic in-game stuff from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

tmlDan

This is still a dumb response, not all games are made for you, i love them. grow up.

Wear a modded power glove. You'll never have to set down a controller again.

Love me some long cutscenes in games. My only limit is if the controller shuts off. Even then, not a big deal. All that gameplay is still right there waiting for when it's over.

Top Bottom