• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony could do with some more non-realistic, gameplay focused games like pre-2013

Generic

The PS3 had 6 Ratchet & Clank games (4 main games and 2 spin-offs). Now we have 1 game per generation.

Sly Cooper? RIP.

What happened with Little Big Planet? The last main game was released 10 years ago and then they made a spin-off. With the PS5 hardware you would expect Sony to release a new one, but no.

The last Everybody's Golf was released in 2017.

interactive movies
tenor.gif

It's fine not to like Sony's gameplay but there's no need to downplay it either.

Puppeteer, rain, Gravity Rush, etc all bombed though, they even released Gravity Rush multiple times and it still bombed.
All of those were relegated as lesser offerings, for some unfathomable reason, which gave them much less exposure than e.g. Uncharted and TLOU. None of those received nearly as much of a push in the spotlight and into the public awareness like the aforementioned.

Puppeteer oozes personality. I went after the platinum trophy and it was a great experience.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They should probably just moneyhat stuff that's not their cinematic style or Gran Turismo. Time for their first party devs is better spent on what they're good at.

T4keD0wN

That stuff sells and its well received by the majority. Feels like they are making the right stuff for the right audience.
The slow walking and investigations could certainly use some trimming, but you could extend this to the whole industry.
FF7 R isn't a high quality game? Explain. And not 'I hate it because its not like the origional'.
Ill give you my perspective as someone who has never played the original or any other FF game before this one.

Narrative makes no sense and most characters arent explained, not even by the end of the game, the game just presumes you know all of that beforehand, its bad delivery unless youve played the original(s) and know who everyone and everything is supposed to be from outside of the actual game.
25% of dialogue is moaning sounds, slow crawl loading screens are everywhere. Graphics are okish (i dont hold that against the game) Rest is pretty good. Looking at it from outside it just feels like people liked it primarily because of nostalgia, but it offers very little if you remove that one factor. Is it really high quality when compared to sonys first party games which tend to be good or better in vast majority of their aspects?

TLDR: FF7R is a nostalgia bait

Last edited:

Jesb

I prefer the franchises Sony had before to what they have now. Killzone, Motorstorm, resistance, infamous, the list goes on. Even stuff that we had before than. Ps2-ps3 era was great.

Last edited:

Fbh

While I agree with the core of the idea, I just never really liked most of their less cinematic games.
Never really liked anything by Media Molecule, and stuff like Ratchet or Jak are just ok, The only one of those types of games I really enjoyed was Gravity Rush and I still found the sequel rather disappointing.

I'm all for Sony making more gameplay focused games if it means we get stuff like Ori, Titanfall 2, Armored Core, DMC, Monster Hunter, Bayonetta, Bloodborne, Doom 2016, Hades, etc.

But if it just means more Ratchet, Sackboy and Knack I'd rather they stick to their current style.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Puppeteer oozes personality. I went after the platinum trophy and it was a great experience.
Sony literally send that game to die...which is too bad because I fucking LOVED that game......Sony first party games used much more interesting had fun.....I hate current Sony.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If Sony doesn't do the narrative games, who will? I think what they have in terms of more light hearted games is fine. But there would absolutely be a void if they stopped doing what they have been the past generation. Maybe it's not as financially viable...but I'm speaking from a selfish consumer's perspective. Need them to give us the ultra quality games

hinch7

That stuff sells and its well received by the majority. Feels like they are making the right stuff for the right audience.
The slow walking and investigations could certainly use some trimming, but you could extend this to the whole industry.

Ill give you my perspective as someone who has never played the original or any other FF game before this one.

Narrative makes no sense and most characters arent explained, not even by the end of the game, the game just presumes you know all of that beforehand, its bad delivery unless youve played the original(s) and know who everyone and everything is supposed to be from outside of the actual game.
25% of dialogue is moaning sounds, slow crawl loading screens are everywhere. Graphics are okish (i dont hold that against the game) Rest is pretty good. Looking at it from outside it just feels like people liked it primarily because of nostalgia, but it offers very little if you remove that one factor. Is it really high quality when compared to sonys first party games which tend to be good or better in vast majority of their aspects?

That's not a proper explanation why the game isn't of good quality. You didn't like the characters and some VO, fair enough.. but how about the rest of the game. Hows the production; music, visuals, art? Gameplay, mechanics story etc. When you have a mix of everything that's mostly produced to a high standard and is received well.. its a good quality product for a lot of people. Maybe not for you but for 7 million who bought the game with positive feedback all round (Steam, PSN etc).

Last edited:

TheTony316

fun looking non-cinematic games like Sunset Overdrive, Hi-Fi Rush, Killer Instinct and the newly released Palworld. For the first time, i'm tempted to grab an Xbox since their exclusives look vastly superior in 2024.

Why mention KI and Sunset? Those games launched a decade ago. In that timeframe Sony has launched TLG, Gravity Rush 2, Medievil, Little big planet 3, SotC remake, Concrete Genie and many more.

Palworld is entirely third party. If we count those, Sony has games like Humanity, Baby steps, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Foamstars etc.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

The Last of Us is one of my all-time favorite games and love a lot of Sony's realistic cinematic games, but I think Sony needs to diversify its library some. I don't even think it is necessarily their games being narrative focused that is the problem, but they all seem to be tonally similar and have very similar over the shoulder, action-adventure presentation. I'm playing Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth right now and even that feels a lot different than the usual Sony game despite being very cinematic.

They can still at least diversify the genres the games are in. I'm not much of an online or GaaS gamer but at least Helldivers 2 is a bit different. Even they changed it from a unique top-down perspective to a usual 3rd person perspective. Stellar Blade and Pragmata also look interesting.

I mostly just miss how older Sony and how they mixed more niche games in with their blockbusters. They had a lot wackier ideas. I also don't think this is just a Sony thing either. I see a heavy push for hyperrealism across the industry. Everyone seems to want game worlds to be a 1:1 version of the real world and I find that more limiting.

Crayon

I could go on for a long time about the battle system lol, but I will keep it short: It's EXCELLENT but unfortunately only fully comes out in the hard mode. There are parts in the normal run where it shines but I didn't fully appreciate it till I played on hard and had to struggle for wins over and over. For an action w/ pause hybrid system though, it's got to be up there with the best.

I don't disagree with your sentiment OP. I really like some of the heavy narrative games out there but I wouldn't be happy if everything became a version of that.

ProtoByte

Why mention KI and Sunset? Those games launched a decade ago. In that timeframe Sony has launched TLG, Gravity Rush 2, Medievil, Little big planet 3, SotC remake, Concrete Genie and many more.
To justify the Sony Template rhetoric.

Here's the thing; I definitely want to see more IP with more powerful characters (not that Spider-Man or GoW are weak by any means), but I don't want to go back to cartoony physics and consequences en masse.

Blow up the scale for the next GoW, and hopefully ND does something in sci-fi or some shit with characters that aren't limited by real human potential.

If you can bridge the gap between realism and supernatural, you've got a great design template going.

Killjoy-NL

My personal taste would say, yes. But I don't know if the PS audience still feels that way honestly. Things change all the time and it's been 10 years since that was their focus. Those games might not sell as well now for all we know.

I'm curious to see how Concorde sells. Feels like it's focused on gameplay, and it's a new IP, and a new genre for first party we haven't seen in a while. We don't yet know how the game is just yet, but if it blows up it'll show that PS gamers are hungry for more variety. TLOU2 remastered sales show they are definitely still hungry for the trademark cinematic stuff Sony has mastered.
I don't always agree with you, but when I do, I do agree.

T4keD0wN

That's not a proper reason why the game isn't of good quality. You didn't like the characters, fair enough.. but how about the rest of the game. Hows the production; music, visuals, art? Gameplay, mechanics story etc. When you have a mix of everything that's produced to a high standard and is received well.. its a good quality product for a lot of people. Maybe not for you but for 7 million who bought the game with positive customer reviews all round (Steam, PSN etc).
Ok, ill have to say that the music was perfect, art was great, visuals were average, had to use a 100gb+ texture mod because the textures were lacking, not to mention multiple other mods to fix the frame pacing, but it did run at mostly stable 170fps and thats a huge plus in my book, not sure i can count that since its not a vanilla experience.

Cant really tell much about the story since it wasnt well delivered and felt unfinished, although i guess that alone is a negative (ive liked some of the messaging behind it, i think? got no clue on how it goes forward)

Not a fan of the combat even though its praised my the majority, it felt a bit too weightless and "rock/paper/scissors", some enemies posed 0 threat, died in 1 or 2 hits and some were straight up massive bullet sponges with 1 weakness, i wish it was a bit more balanced on that front (if it was that way for the lore reasons, i am sorry), although it was very pretty to look at and had great production values, cant really say ive enjoyed controlling it, the movement was a bit too monotone and limited. I fully admit that the switching and slow motion were genius features.

As i am typing this it sounds like youve actually persuaded me into liking it, ive really tried to like it back then and i now realize ive liked many parts of it, but i also remember ive almost wrote off the entire genre because of it. Its a bit of a mixed bag for me (mainly because of the narrative which is priority #1 for me), but i can see why others would like it, especially if theyre not newcomers.

I will cut Square some slack and give the sequal a go in the future.

Last edited:

Fabieter

The first 7R suffered from the aforementioned cinematic virus that plagues most modern sony titles. It's on rails, everywhere you go there is some slow walking, squeezing through rubble for 15 seconds or hold X button and wait sequence. Then half of the cutscenes are padding to bloat out what was originally 10 hours into the size of a full 40 hour JRPG. The original is better.

Most sonys "cinematic" games are open world. I would in fact love some more linear games from sony. The too cinematic crowded is completely bullshit.

CamHostage

Any game maker who's not making a game with a double-jump should really take a good, long look in the mirror and make sure they like what's looking back at them...

bender

What time is it?
Puppeteer was amazing. It felt like a concept that Nintendo would come up with.

Sony's first party offering is largely dead me these days but I can't really blame them with the direction they are going as they are having success.

Last edited:

gerth666

Neo Member
Bruh fucking wat. Uncharted and TLOU are one thing but Horizon and GOW? You're on crack
I swear to god these fucking helmets have never played a Sony game to say they have no gameplay. They are clearly on a wind up. I'm playing the last of us 2 at the moment, some of the best shooting, combat, and survival mechanics I've ever played. Oh but it has pretty cut scene's, so it is clearly a walking simulator."/s" fucker numpteys

bitbydeath

Sony are already well known at achieving best in gameplay in a number of genres:

Open World - Days Gone (GTAVI will likely overtake it next year)
Third person - TLOU2
Racing Sim - GT7
Souls - Bloodborne

There may be others as well.

Looking indie doesn’t mean games will play better by default.

hinch7

Ok, ill have to say that the music was perfect, art was great, visuals were average, had to use a 100gb+ texture mod because the textures were lacking, not to mention multiple other mods to fix the frame pacing, but it did run at mostly stable 170fps and thats a huge plus in my book, not sure i can count that since its not a vanilla experience.

Cant really tell much about the story since it wasnt well delivered and felt unfinished, although i guess that alone is a negative (ive liked some of the messaging behind it, i think? got no clue on how it goes forward)

Not a fan of the combat even though its praised my the majority, it felt a bit too weightless and "rock/paper/scissors", some enemies posed 0 threat, died in 1 or 2 hits and some were straight up massive bullet sponges with 1 weakness, i wish it was a bit more balanced on that front (if it was that way for the lore reasons, i am sorry), although it was very pretty to look at and had great production values, cant really say ive enjoyed controlling it, the movement was a bit too monotone and limited. I fully admit that the switching and slow motion were genius features.

As i am typing this it sounds like youve actually persuaded me into liking it, ive really tried to like it back then and i now realize ive liked many parts of it, but i also remember ive almost wrote off the entire genre because of it. Its a bit of a mixed bag for me (mainly because of the narrative which is priority #1 for me), but i can see why others would like it, especially if theyre not newcomers.

I will cut Square some slack and give the sequal a go in the future.
The rock paper scissors mechanic(s) has been the staple for the FF franchise for a long, long time. You've been given the tools to analyse weaknesses through materia or trial and error. Most enemies you can and should at least try stagger, for max damage and time your big attacks with maxed ATB during that time. Or you can just play braindead using a combination of physical attacks via abilities. They've been doing this mechanic since FFXIII, as mainline series go.

But yeah, not everyone's cup of tea. And I'm not trying to persuade anyone or change anyones opinions. I was just responding to the post that put out a blanket statement; saying, that just because something is popular doesn't mean its good quality. Which can be a true in a lot of things, but in this case I'm going to hard disagree.

their games are gameplay focused.
They just have a lot of cinematic cutscenes on top of hours and hours of gameplay
No. Unfortunately people don't know what gameplay focused really means. It means Nintendo games or a few Sony games like Sackboy or Astro. In Sony games the most important factor of a game is the script, so they basically direct their game like a movie with actors and such, gameplay will have to be in second. In most Nintendo games, the most important is the gameplay / level design and the game is made around that.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No. Unfortunately people don't know what gameplay focused really means. It means Nintendo games or a few Sony games like Sackboy or Astro. In Sony games the most important factor of a game is the script, so they basically direct their game like a movie with actors and such, gameplay will have to be in second. In most Nintendo games, the most important is the gameplay / level design and the game is made around that.
You realize if you skip uncharted 4, gow or tlou2 "movies", there is 15,30 and 25 hours of gameplay left?

And they all bombed. But you're right.

We just don't know if they bombed due to system availability, or changing taste.

What? Returnal did pretty well for a new IP. Rift Apart ended up doing 4+ million copies vast majority on PS5. Kena (technically 3P, but still console exclusive, prob a 2P type of deal) did pretty well for itself, again as a new IP. Stray is another example, as is Fall Guys (although that one's a GaaS).

Especially in light of some sales splits for games like Sonic on PS & Nintendo platforms, I think the idea more non-realistic, non-mature heavy story-driven games don't do well on PlayStation is just simply false. If you make it a good enough game and it gets the attention it needs, it'll do very well.

We need to stop pretending Sony didn't spend an entire generation shilling Uncharted and Infamous (all which I really like :messenger_grinning:).

They did push those games hard for sure, but in totality their 1P offerings were ridiculously varied across the board during PS3 days. To an extent tho, it had to be: they were trying to find their footing and both 360 and Wii siphoned away a lot of the defacto exclusives systems like PS2 got. Not only that, but PS3 actually missed out on a ton of those games, in some cases permanently.

Sony had to fill the void, so to speak, and I guess that's a big reason we saw all that variety. I do wish we could continue to see it in current-day without them needing to be threatened with an existential crisis however.

The vast majority of Sony's catalogue during the 2010s and onwards like TLOU, Uncharted, HZD/FW, Death Stranding, etc are too story-heavy and realistic for a lot of peoples tastes. They used to have plenty of "fun" games like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter and inFAMOUS but now they rarely pump out those type of games anymore and even the ones they do(like Spiderman) still have the narrative gimmicks present like slow walking, investigation scenes, forced stealth scenes that bog down the game. There isn't much in Sony's library(or pretty much modern gaming in general besides indies) to scratch that simple fun game vibe anymore. That's all a lot of gamers want, we don't want just interactive movies when we could just watch an actual movie. And real life is depressing, why would we want games to be like that, gaming is supposed to be an escape from all of that.

On the other hand, Nintendo's exclusives have always been "gameplay first" and Xbox has plenty of fun looking non-cinematic games like Sunset Overdrive, Hi-Fi Rush, Killer Instinct and the newly released Palworld. For the first time, i'm tempted to grab an Xbox since their exclusives look vastly superior in 2024.

I was mostly with you up until the bolded (well, actually also saying Sony's games are just interactive movies; try auto-piloting HFW like it's a movie on Normal and see how far you get. That game has a LOT of depth to combat and exploration, not to mention challenge). Nah, that's a no from me, dawg.

I'm not saying MS's exclusives for 2024 look terrible, but they either look janky as hell (Avowed) or underwhelming compared to expectations (Hellblade 2). From what they've shown, Indiana Jones looks like the one rock-solid game they've got coming this year 1P-wise and there are still questions about how Indy will feel like playing in first-person. I guess Ara 2 also looks more or less solid, but it's a 4x strategy sim and PC exclusive at that.

On the one hand I do like the variety of Microsoft's offerings in concept, but the games still have to actually deliver. And that's always the question with Microsoft: will they deliver on expectations and hype? Because Halo Infinite didn't, RedFall definitely didn't, Starfield didn't and Forza Motorsport didn't. So why expect Hellblade 2 or Avowed to do so? Maybe them being smaller AA-type games can inoculate them from disappointing expectations, because it seems MS have had better luck with games like HiFi Rush and Pentiment (partly because there were little no expectations for either of them).

You can't honestly tell me that a PS5 2024 lineup with Grandblue Fantasy: Relink, FF VII Rebirth, Death Stranding 2, Helldivers 2, Silent Hill 2 Remake, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Pacific Drive and others, is worst than an Xbox 2024 lineup with Hellblade 2, Avowed, and Indiana Jones (remember Ara 2 is PC exclusive). Maybe I'm forgetting some games console-exclusive for Xbox (same with PlayStation), but even if you prefer unabashed variety, PS5's 2024 looks a lot stronger with even just what's known so far.

Puppeteer, rain, Gravity Rush, etc all bombed though, they even released Gravity Rush multiple times and it still bombed.

Bad timing and potentially little to no real advertising effort. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised those games bombed, either.

It doesn't mean they weren't worth iterating on and IMO as a platform holder, every single game needing to be a megaton sales success should NOT be the only justification for making a game in the first place. Platform holders are in a unique position where they can afford to have a few niche "expression-heavy" games that add variety to the platform lineup and have other contributions to the brand (prestige, variety) and industry (setting new design and gameplay or artistic standards, for example).

Not to mention, they are a great breeding ground for experimental ideas that could be too risky in the bigger AAA megahits; using the smaller games to test out said ideas and refine them in a way where they can potentially be successfully adapted to one of the tentpole AAA blockbusters later down the line is another direct benefit of having your Puppeteers, Gravity Rushes etc., preferably in-house.

You realize if you skip uncharted 4, gow or tlou2 "movies", there is 15,30 and 25 hours of gameplay left?
It doesn't matter. There is also hours of text ('story') to skip in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, it doesn't mean it is a story game.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It doesn't matter. There is also hours of text ('story') to skip in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, it doesn't mean it is a story game.
Good story being there, doesn't mean there is no gameplay.
Death Stranding got a good 10 hours of cutscenes and it got some of best gameplay in last few years.
It's a 10 hours of cutscenes + 40 hours of gameplay game.

yurinka

The vast majority of Sony's catalogue during the 2010s and onwards like TLOU, Uncharted, HZD/FW, Death Stranding, etc are too story-heavy and realistic for a lot of peoples tastes.
You're wrong, Sony released a ton of games since 2010 that don't even have story or aren't realistic at all.

They used to have plenty of "fun" games like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter and inFAMOUS but now they rarely pump out those type of games anymore and even the ones they do(like Spiderman) still have the narrative gimmicks present like slow walking, investigation scenes, forced stealth scenes that bog down the game.
Sony games have great gameplay and are fun. Having great -or realistic- visuals and some of them story doesn't mean they don't take care about their gameplay or that their gameplay is bad. They are also fun, and this is why they sell better than ever and get more awards and nominations than ever.

There isn't much in Sony's library(or pretty much modern gaming in general besides indies) to scratch that simple fun game vibe anymore. That's all a lot of gamers want, we don't want just interactive movies when we could just watch an actual movie. And real life is depressing, why would we want games to be like that, gaming is supposed to be an escape from all of that.

On the other hand, Nintendo's exclusives have always been "gameplay first" and Xbox has plenty of fun looking non-cinematic games like Sunset Overdrive, Hi-Fi Rush, Killer Instinct and the newly released Palworld. For the first time, i'm tempted to grab an Xbox since their exclusives look vastly superior in 2024.
Sony has many of them, you simply have no idea of the games they published, forgot them or are just lying trolling with console wars fanboy stuff. If you want to learn the games that Sony published, google "List of Sony Interactive Entertainment video games" and read the related wikipedia page.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Easy to say those games don't exist when you ignore them. Returnal, Astrobot, Sackboy, Demons Souls, Ratchet, GT7

Throw in pure gameplay expansions like Ragnarok Valhalla, TLOU2 No Return, Ghost of Tsushima Legends

Helldivers 2 out in a few weeks btw. Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade not long after

Nah it's more like you have an issue with the incredible success that narrative games can have. Guess what? The majority of the audience absolutely love those experiences

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The vast majority of Sony's catalogue during the 2010s and onwards like TLOU, Uncharted, HZD/FW, Death Stranding, etc are too story-heavy and realistic for a lot of peoples tastes. They used to have plenty of "fun" games like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter and inFAMOUS but now they rarely pump out those type of games anymore and even the ones they do(like Spiderman) still have the narrative gimmicks present like slow walking, investigation scenes, forced stealth scenes that bog down the game. There isn't much in Sony's library(or pretty much modern gaming in general besides indies) to scratch that simple fun game vibe anymore. That's all a lot of gamers want, we don't want just interactive movies when we could just watch an actual movie. And real life is depressing, why would we want games to be like that, gaming is supposed to be an escape from all of that.

Not enough chance to check boxes in those unrealistic games ... western sony studios are all about checkin boxes these days ... and they axed most of their japanese branch.... so fat chance

Top Bottom