• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop making me put the controller down...

DOS has immense dialogues, they’re just not cinematic directed. Lol
The dialogue system is interactive and has an impact on both the gameplay and story. Thats kind of my point. Theres ways to keep a story moving while also remembering its a video game first and foremost and keeping the controller in the players hands. Red Dead 2 has some really good moments where they tell the story while you are still playing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Then dont play story focus game? games like Bloodborne is much more "lore" base story telling meanwhile games like Sekiro has proper cutscene and characters.

People seem to love complain for sake of complaining

Last edited:
But when applying cinematic to a game I think designers to find a way to keep the experience interactive. Supermassive games are cinematic but you know to keep the controller in your hand.
You don't realize how truly annoying your suggested concept can be until you start a second playthrough and frustratingly have to do things like forced walking and you can't skip a cutscenes because you have to press a button prompt to open a door or turn a lever. Also, think of those moments when you're just trying to watch something cool happen on screen but the game is forcing you to concentrate so hard to catch a quick qte button prompt(so that you don't miss it), that you end up missing almost the entire cutscene itself(example: Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series).

Most devs don't know how to do what you've suggested correctly for either situation, so no thank you.

Swift_Star

Banned
Imagine playing Ace Attorney and complaining the game is text-heavy? The only suggestion I can give you here is to not play these types of games. Because it’s pretty clear lots of people enjoy the cutscenes and set pieces. These games don’t need to change, you, actually, has to chose better what to play.

Then dont play story focus game? games like Bloodborne is much more "lore" base story telling mean while games like Sekiro has proper cutscene and characters.

People seem to love complain for sake of complaining
Disliking a particular element of a game means you hate the whole genre? Yall got some real all or nothing mindsets. I love the games listed...both TLOU2 and DS are two of my top 10 ever games, which is why I feel free to criticizes them as art forms. Also its a video game discussion board...lets talk about video games. lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My dude, wait till you get to the end.

It's *literally* a movie length ending.

It truly is Kojima unleashed without any guiding hands making him edit the content down.

Swift_Star

Banned
You don't realize how truly annoying your suggested concept can be until you start a second playthrough and frustratingly have to do things like forced walking and you can't skip a cutscenes because you have to press a button prompt to open a door or turn a lever. Also, think of those moments when you're just trying to watch something cool happen on screen but the game is forcing you to concentrate so hard to catch a quick qte button prompt(so that you don't miss it), that you end up missing almost the entire cutscene itself(example: Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series).

Most devs don't know how to do what you've suggested correctly for either situation, so no thank you.
RE5 has this and it sucks at lot while playing coop. Interactive QTE filled cutscenes are trash.
Cutscenes are really good to cool off after a stressful section.

Danjin44

Disliking a particular element of a game means you hate the whole genre? Yall got some real all or nothing mindsets. I love the games listed...both TLOU2 and DS are two of my top 10 ever games, which is why I feel free to criticizes them as art forms. Also its a video game discussion board...lets talk about video games. lol
You are playing a Kojima game that has celebrity as characters and you complain why it has too much story!? What exactly did you expect here?

Its like playing Monster Hunter game and complain why it doesn't have deep story.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A mod just stealth edited my post because of how I was describing Cloud. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

GJ, but please, next time try not leaving any typos there, thanks.

Fuz

Banned
Haven't played that game, but my guess is that the game is loading something while the twink with the spike hair is pulling the lever. God of War was a good example of this too.
resident.gif

RE5 has this and it sucks at lot while playing coop. Interactive QTE filled cutscenes are trash.
Cutscenes are really good to cool off after a stressful section.
If any more recent game deserves a full clean remake/do-over, it's Resident Evil 5. So many annoying things could be changed about the game for quality of life reasons including the short length of each level and what you've mentioned.

GymWolf

Cinematic doesn't inherently mean passive. Bloodborne is a cinematic game to me. When you get into a good flow its as cinematic as some of the best action movies. But when applying cinematic to a game I think designers to find a way to keep the experience interactive. Supermassive games are cinematic but you know to keep the controller in your hand.
The most cinematic thing in bloodborne are the boss cutscenes and you still have to put down the controller during those...

There is a reason why the most cinamatic and famous pic of BB is this one (spoiler, it's from a cutscene)

Moon_presence.gif

Fbh

I don't mind.
I don't just like games for the gameplay, I enjoy a variety of games for a variety of reasons. I'd hate it if every game had lengthy cutscenes but that's hardly the case, so I enjoy lenghty cutscenes when they are done well and assuming I'm into the story or characters. If anything it was the world and story which kept me playing Death Stranding until the end, not the gameplay.

I've also never agreed with the idea that cutscenes are the worst and everything should be in game. Having scenes with fixed framing and directing can really enhance the storytelling. Many of the more memorable moments in Death Stranding would be lost if you were just walking around in a room as the characters stand there talking to the air.

Three

The console warring schizos have arrived. Next time try using multiplatform games as an example OP.
Yeah right like he would have done that:

These Hellblade threads are filled with people who obviously didn’t play the first. I think they assume it’s more like GOW and less 75% visualization puzzles that it actually is. It’s a cinematic experience that uses sound and atmosphere to tell a story. It’s more akin to a plagues tale than GOW. Slow walking from beat to beat is what the game is…and it was an amazing experience for it.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Not trying to be that guy... but you knew what you were getting into before starting. You knew Death Stranding would have cutscenes, and long cutscenes at that, but you still wanted to play it.

You essentially ordered Mac & Cheese knowing good and well it would contain cheese... but you are complaining that it has cheese.

Well majority games focus on story will have long cutscene, especially Kojima made games, you should be expecting this when you bought the game.
I'm not complaining about the story itself...but the methods used to convey the story. Again it's a thought, but in video games I'd like the medium to utilize the aspects of what it does best, game play, to deliver that story. You don't see movies trying to implement gameplay elements to make it more interactive lol. I think gaming in general needs to continue to separate itself from film making as a medium. When the medium started it did because it literally could not recreate whats on screen, but too many game directors are filmmakers who fell into gaming so I get why they do it. As a filmmaker myself I understand the allure, but I think games that are able to tell a story while also keeping the player playing utilize the elements that make the medium unique.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's expected in Death Stranding and cutscenes are awesome. I keep the controller on me to take screenshots.
you can skip them too and it's a 50 hours game with 10 hours of cutscenes probably. Still a lot of game there and more.

But man, the worst offender was Max Payne 3... omg... the cutscenes to ratio was terrible. I felt it was 3 hours long game in 10 hours container. Every corridor, you watch UNSKIPPABLE cutscene and it ruins 2nd playthroughs

Not trying to be that guy... but you knew what you were getting into before starting. You knew Death Stranding would have cutscenes, and long cutscenes at that, but you still wanted to play it.

You essentially ordered Mac & Cheese knowing good and well it would contain cheese... but you are complaining that it has cheese.
You don't criticize games you like? I keep having to say it but DS is a top 10 game of all time for me...I'm criticizing a medium I love. Just because you enjoy it doesn't mean you have to love every element of it.

I ordered a mac and cheese and complaining about it having too much salt. I still love the mac and cheese but a little less salt might make it better.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You are not better than him. Comments like those don't help the thread or the discussion at all imo. If it makes you seethe that much, I think it's easier to put him and his threads on ignore.

I mean atrocious in length not quality compared to a game like TLOU. Yukuza had some long ass scenes. I love Yakuza though.
All is forgiven.

But hey at least in Yakuza you can choose when you want to dive into the cinematic stuff, since you can do that or go on sidequests and minigames. I think that's cool and helps the pacing of the game a lot.

Danjin44

I'm not complaining about the story itself...but the methods used to convey the story. Again it's a thought, but in video games I'd like the medium to utilize the aspects of what it does best, game play, to deliver that story. You don't see movies trying to implement gameplay elements to make it more interactive lol. I think gaming in general needs to continue to separate itself from film making as a medium. When the medium started it did because it literally could not recreate whats on screen, but too many game directors are filmmakers who fell into gaming so I get why they do it. As a filmmaker myself I understand the allure, but I think games that are able to tell a story while also keeping the player playing utilize the elements that make the medium unique.
Each Dev like to tell their story different way, some using long cutscene like Kojima and some like rely on "lore" like Miyazaki, variety is good thing for game industry.

GymWolf

I mean atrocious in length (where you put your controller down) not quality compared to a game like TLOU, Yukuza had some long ass scenes. I love Yakuza though.
Just to be clear, i wasn't really mad at you :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Me proving my own point...10 points for consistency. Yes, Hellblade is a game that utilizes aspects of the medium to tell a story...and in this regard it could have told the whole story with the sections of slow walking and atmospheric story telling. It's not perfect either and applying it to this mindset it had sections where I had to put the controller down. But the cutscene length in hellblade, a game that isnt in my top 30, is much shorter and concise than death stranding, a game thats in my top 10...nice attempt at a gotcha tho.

bender

What time is it?
Worst offender in this category is Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

I don't need a 3 second "cutscene" of the character pulling the lever, just pull it ffs...

Outriders is even worse with this shit. Want to jump a chasm? Cutscene. Want to climb a wall? Cutscene.

I wasn't a fan either. Think there is a big difference between, however, between not thinking the cutscenes or dialogue is very good and complaining that they exist. Might as well complain about having to jump too much in a platformer.
There's a big difference between cutscenes "existing", and the marathon slog of cutscenes that Death Stranding devolves into, especially near the end. DS is one of the worst offenders of having an excessive level of cutscenes. I mean ffs, the game needs like 8 cutscenes just to take the elevator down into your room.

TonyK

In Cyberpunk you can move the character or the camera during dialogs because if not you will notice there is no gameplay apart from that. It's a 50 hours bad movie with some shooting areas.

Deerock71

It's almost as if you've never played a Hideo Kojima game before...but you said it...was one of your all time favorites...[PROCESSING]..
first time GIF

[ERROR]
GIF by Giphy QA

Topher

Gold Member
There's a big difference between cutscenes "existing", and the marathon slog of cutscenes that Death Stranding devolves into, especially near the end. DS is one of the worst offenders of having an excessive level of cutscenes. I mean ffs, the game needs like 8 cutscenes just to take the elevator down into your room.

Kojima game. Shocker.

Salmon

Well, you bought a Kojima game, so what did you expect? It's been like this for years. That's why I don't even care for his games. I want to play my games, not watch them.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
You don't criticize games you like? I keep having to say it but DS is a top 10 game of all time for me...I'm criticizing a medium I love. Just because you enjoy it doesn't mean you have to love every element of it.

I ordered a mac and cheese and complaining about it having too much salt. I still love the mac and cheese but a little less salt might make it better.
To answer your question, yes I do.

I understand what you're saying in the OP, that you would rather be playing the game than watching a non-interactive cutscene, and I get that. Again I will counter that by saying... don't expect Death Stranding to be something that it isn't... and don't try to make it into something it isn't. It is meant to be a slow burn. It has a specific story it is trying to tell. Something that would not be possible through any other medium of story-telling other than cinematic cutscenes.

Not every game can have Half-Life 2 type of storytelling. And not every game should. This is a big problem in the industry nowadays. Too many people copying what other people are doing. Kojima and his team 100% do not copy what anyone else is doing... which is great. They actually try to do things that are new, to push the medium forward and not follow the status quo.

I relished every cutscene in this game, and I was frequently bummed when they ended and I had to play another 30 minutes to an hour for another one. They are all masterfully created, beautifully shot, directed, and acted. With that said, the beginning of the game contains a lot of cutscenes. The middle portion of the game is a little slow with not very many cutscenes. More like 1.5 to 2 hours between each one. This happens around the 15hr mark and is actually my only negative with this game. So if you prefer the gameplay more, this part of the game will probably be a highlight for you.

Death Stranding is top 10 for me also, and I would compare it to Interstellar. It has a story that encourages you to think... but it doesn't tell you how to think. This type of story that Kojima wanted to tell just would not be possible with Half-Life 2 type of storytelling.

Last edited:

Generic

If any more recent game deserves a full clean remake/do-over, it's Resident Evil 5. So many annoying things could be changed about the game for quality of life reasons including the short length of each level and what you've mentioned.
I think the levels are short because the weapons have a lot of upgrades. There's no merchant in the game after all.

Top Bottom