• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | July 8, 2021 - Deathloop, Indies, and Third-party games.

Yoboman

What it was and meant to be? We went from E3 to this and you are calling this OK? Not even Sony is convinced by saying soon soon for like a million time. It was lame.
They are doing multiple shows over the summer including Horizon, this and something in August

yurinka

Ok so this is a 100% stand-alone product, not an expansion of Death Stranding, for a replay for scratch.

That's not what I was expecting, and I'm not sure if I wanna re-play the whole campaign that took me almost 150 hours to plat.
If you have the PS4 game and a PS5, you can upgrade for $10 bucks and import the PS4 save to continue it on PS5 with the extra stuff.

You don't need to buy the full game again. You don't need to start from scratch.

a deal is getting it for like $20 and then paying the $10 upgrade fee, not paying $60 lol
Death Stranding looks great, but I'll wait to see what upgrade path is available, as I'm not chunking down $70.
To upgrade from any Death Stranding PS4 edition to Death Stranding Director's Cut Digital Deluxe Edition PS5 costs $10. It's a great deal.

A joke compared to smart delivery on xbox consoles.
You're the joke.

No game gives you for free with Smart Delivery more weapons, equipment and vehicles, a variety of new modes, new missions and areas to explore, expanded storylines, enhancements to the UI, new online features including Friend Play and Leaderboards, a racing mode, haptic feedback and adaptative triggers support, 3D audio, random stuff from the PC version (Half Life and Cyberpunk 2077 content), near-instant loading times, 4K, 60fps, ultra wide support and the Digital Deluxe Edition content (OST, digital artbook, PSN avatars and several in-game customization items) and more to be announced.

Digital Deluxe Edition content detailed:

51299807934_035c739687_h.jpg

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I know it's not always easy to do but I think Deathloop would have benefited from a shorter reveal to release time frame.
Of course, but the game was planned to be released earlier.
If I remember correctly, they originally planned to do it for the PS5 launch, then postponed to April (?), then to September.
With all the delays of course that full trailer thing got mixed up and they had to show the same stuff (oh, you are in a time loop) again and again from different angels. I guess if the current release date would have been known earlier, they would have done it differently

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

CamHostage

The difference is that sony used to show awesome indies mixed with huge megaton announcements. They complimented eachother, now they either lean all the way in either direction these days
When?

You're imagining a State of Play that did not exist. Or, you are conflating these video shows with E3 and other trade show-type events.

State of Play isn't about megaton announcements. They tell you generally what will be in each State of Play before the show even starts. When Sony has multiple big surprises, they do a different type of show for that, like PS5: The Future of Gaming.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
If you have the PS4 game and a PS5, you can upgrade for $10 bucks and import the PS4 save to continue it on PS5 with the extra stuff.
This is amazing news, yea I just watched the Q&A, all HL and Cyberpunk content from PC is also there! 10 bucks? Wow.

bender

What time is it?
Lost Judgement pre-ordered. For $9.99, I'll upgrade Death Stranding. Not much of interest in this State of Play. Moss is good news for VR owners. Nothing else look all that interesting to me besides Sifu (I really don't love how Absolver feels) and Demon Slayer.

ksdixon

Confused messaging. Why's there a PS Studios logo right next to KojiPro logo, if Kojima is also allowed to negociate with Stadia/MS?

''PS Studios'' should mean ''A studio that is under PS's umbella'' and nothing more. How do you fuck-up something like that?

It's almost like having a TV Streaming Service and not calling it PSTV.... Oh wait...

Last edited:
Confused messaging. Why's there a PS Studios logo right next to KojiPro logo, if Kojima is also allowed to negociate with Stadia/MS?

''PS Studios'' should mean ''A studio that is under PS's umbella'' and nothing more. How do you fuck-up something like that?

It's almost like having a TV Streaming Service and not calling it PSTV.... Oh wait...

All first party games fall under the PS Studio umbrella

This isn't new

Last edited:

Sony funded the games development, published the game and own the IP, it was made on the DECIMA engine and about 70 GG employees worked directly on the game so it's totally appropriate for it to have a PS Studios logo.

But that's not a PS Studio, it's a PS... Game only on PS Consoles and PC.

PS Studio branding should be for only studios that PS owns.

Its branding they use for the games, not the studios. That's why the logo is plastered onto Death Stranding and not KP

Last edited:
Not the biggest fan of Death Stranding(Still completed it lol) so im not interested in a Directors Cut. But I have been super excited for DeathLoop so that trailer was great to me, and I damn near want all the indies except for the multiplayer focused stuff.

Did they say anything about LIttle Devil Inside(I left for a few mins at one point)? I donated to that game years ago when the Dev was still claiming they were doing a Wii U port LOL. The release date keeps being reported as "July 2021" and we're almost a third of the way through.

Bartski

Gold Member
Did they say anything about LIttle Devil Inside(I left for a few mins at one point)? I donated to that game years ago when the Dev was still claiming they were doing a Wii U port LOL. The release date keeps being reported as "July 2021" and we're almost a third of the way through.
no and despite the recent "leak" from Playstation_LA that the game is still coming out in July, at this point I don't think it is as that sure would have been the news today.

CamHostage

But that's not a PS Studio, it's a PS... Game only on PS Consoles and PC.

PS Studio branding should be for only studios that PS owns.
That's like saying none of the Pokemon games, none of the Mario & Luigi games, none of the Zelda remasters, nothing like Pokémon Conquest or Pokken Tournament or New Pokemon Snap can be labeled "Nintendo" games because they're all made for Nintendo by external studios.

Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios is the entity that produces PlayStation games in-house. That's different from a PlayStation Studio production, which is produced by PlayStation but may or may not have directed/developed in-house. And SIE WWS doesn't get a logo on the box.

I get that it would be handier if all the logos helped make it clear in the Console War which titles count the highest because the internal studios earn bonus points (and I'm only kind of making fun of you...in my heart, I agree, PS Studio should mean what would be easiest for it to mean,) but that's just not the legal branding of a studio logo is technically there for.

Last edited:
no and despite the recent "leak" from Playstation_LA that the game is still coming out in July, at this point I don't think it is as that sure would have been the news today.
Damn. I was hoping they would have announced a concrete date since today was supposed to be mostly about indies or w/e. I was so hyped about that game a few years ago, I hope it all comes together and it delivers

'Enhanced for PS' or something would be more appropriate then. All of what you said is true, but KojiPro isn't a '''PS Studio''
Kojima wasn't the only studio that worked on it though, his studio has it's name on it but GG contributed as well.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Sony published the game, thus the PS Studios logo. That doesn't mean they own KojiPro.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hmmm. I didn't have high expectations...was still disappointed. Death Loop particularly looked really slow.

The title and previous showcases made me think it was going to be action packed. This game is more methodical kinda like Dishonored.

There's a LOT of Dishonored in this game honestly.

Sony has too much up their sleeve. Need to let some of that out.

yurinka

Death Stranding and Death Stranding Director's Cut are PlayStation Studios games, which means they are games published by Sony.

Some of the Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo 1st party games (so, published by them) are developed by 3rd party, external studios like Kojima Productions. In this case these 1st party games are known as 2nd party games.

Google officially debunked the Stadia rumor, they said that never had anything from Kojipro. And the guy who said the Kojima+MS deal has a long history of posting lies as supposed insider info, so very likely this one is fake too and Kojima has nothing with MS.

Specially when recently Kojima said that in addition to games (he mentioned he wants to make smaller ones too), Kojipro wants to make a mecha anime, a movie or a manga. Sony can help them to do all this, and MS not. So very likely they will continue with Sony (who gave him a blank check to make a super weird and niche new IP AAA game and gave him an engine for free, and since it turned it to be profitable and well reviewed they are doing the same with 3 new studios led by other super top AAA creators and pretty likely will greenlight Kojima whatever game he wants to make next) after the recently announced Death Stranding Director's Cut.

Last edited:

ksdixon

That's like saying none of the Pokemon games, none of the Mario & Luigi games, none of the Zelda remasters, nothing like Pokémon Conquest or Pokken Tournament or New Pokemon Snap can be labeled "Nintendo" games because they're all made for Nintendo by external studios.

Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios is the entity that produces PlayStation games in-house. That's different from a PlayStation Studio production, which is produced by PlayStation but not necessarily directed/developed in-house. And SIE WWS doesn't get a logo on the box.

I get that it would be handier if all the logos helped make it clear in the Console War which titles count the highest because the internal studios count for bonus points (and I'm only kind of making fun of you...in my heart, I agree, PS Studio should mean what would be easiest for it to mean,) but that's just not the legal branding of a studio logo is technically there for.
I think the Nintendo comparison is a bit duplicitous, but then again that's more on Sony than your comparison.

PS are literally deliberately confusing the usage of the word, and I think that's clear as day. Ryan's PS fucking lives in the grey areas, the slimey business man that he is... Look at the whole 'We believe in Generations' thing. The 'intent' of what he was saying was clear, despite how much people want to argue he never said 'x'. That's why games were still advertised as PS5 only for ages, and then recently we got told 'nah fam, it's coming to PC and/or PS4 too, so suck it'.

Here's an image welcoming Housemarquee to the PS 'family', and there's a big ole PS STUDIOS logo sat there. Nothing about Returnal, the game, itself. So they want to tell us that PS STUDIOS logo means you joined the family, yet when it suits them like with Death Stranding, and Kojima still out there negociating with Stadia/MS, they wanna say 'oh no, it's to do with the game itself'. Sure, Sony, that's why the logo says Studios, right? The fucking idiots.

Welcome-Housemarque-210628-scaled.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So is that Volcano High School dinosaur game just a shared delusion at this point? A fever dream?

saintjules

On my list based on SoP today

Death Stranding DC
F.I.S.T.
Lost Judgment (Once I finish the original)
Sifu

Deathloop - I was initially intrigued at the reveal, but this latest deep dive makes it a pass for me or a wait for it to drop it's exclusivity and maybe play it on Gamepass.
Demon Slayer - Looks interesting enough, but never followed the show.
Hunter's Arena - I'll try out since it will be PS+.

Was hoping to see Little Devil Inside in today's showcase - it's the one I'm really waiting for.

Last edited:
I think the Nintendo comparison is a bit duplicitous, but then again that's more on Sony than your comparison.

PS are literally deliberately confusing the usage of the word, and I think that's clear as day. Ryan's PS fucking lives in the grey areas, the slimey business man that he is... Look at the whole 'We believe in Generations' thing. The 'intent' of what he was saying was clear, despite how much people want to argue he never said 'x'. That's why games were still advertised as PS5 only for ages, and then recently we got told 'nah fam, it's coming to PC and/or PS4 too, so suck it'.

Here's an image welcoming Housemarquee to the PS 'family', and there's a big ole PS STUDIOS logo sat there. Nothing about Returnal, the game, itself. So they want to tell us that PS STUDIOS logo means you joined the family, yet when it suits them like with Death Stranding, and Kojima still out there negociating with Stadia/MS, they wanna say 'oh no, it's to do with the game itself'. Sure, Sony, that's why the logo says Studios, right? The fucking idiots.

You do realise Microsoft also does this?

You're making a big deal over something you have no clue about

Last edited:

Markio128

I thought it was a relatively entertaining SOP. Those disappointed with the show obviously missed the part when Sony said that they would be showing 9 mins of Deathloop, alongside some indie/third party games. You need to keep your expectations in check people. No doubt the big guns will get their own show soon.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Aside from seeing nothing interesting, Deathloop actually looked kind of boring to me.

I thought it was a relatively entertaining SOP. Those disappointed with the show obviously missed the part when Sony said that they would be showing 9 mins of Deathloop, alongside some indie/third party games. You need to keep your expectations in check people. No doubt the big guns will get their own show soon.

I'm sure most of us, like myself, saw that info from Sony and can still be disappointed. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Shows cgi: damn I wish they would show gameplay

Shows gameplay: yawn, who asked for this? Give me 3 or 4 snippets of other games FFS

And the hate on what Arkane is doing is so obvious it's delicious ;)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

While I love your post and as much as hearing Jim Ryan get called Slimy turns me on, I think this is one thing they were honest and up front about when they first revealed the logo.

This is from Erik Lampell, PS's main marketing guy, and the source of all our anxiety.
Alongside games developed by Sony's first-party studios -- such as Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Santa Monica Studio, Media Molecule and Guerrilla Games -- the PlayStation Studios brand will also apply to games made by work-for-hire developers under Sony's direction.

"If our studios are managing the production of these games and working with an external developer, it will still come out under the PlayStation Studios brand," Lempel details. "It doesn't mean that we outright own the developer, but it just means we brought it up as a first-party. In a lot of cases we don't own the developer."

ksdixon

While I love your post and as much as hearing Jim Ryan get called Slimy turns me on, I think this is one thing they were honest and up front about when they first revealed the logo.

This is from Erik Lampell, PS's main marketing guy, and the source of all our anxiety.

fair play to them. but i refer back to my earlier comment. it's like having a tv streaming service and not calling it pstv. needlessly ambiguous and confusing unless someone went and read the blog post/games article. i think seeing that logo on a box, and the logo saying 'studios'... they know exactly what they're doing, and it's the type of shit shady business men live for, the "implication" of x, when it's actually y.

Erik needs putting on the fast train out of town along with Jim and Herman, then.

nordique

My hype was pretty high for this

but i think my expectations were too high. Nothing of interest shown for me but good to see a variety of software shown

for myself, a below average showcase

Last edited:

CamHostage

You're putting a lot into your rage over Sony's use of a logo...

Corporate use of the term studios doesn't just mean only the studios they own. Look at television or film: Universal Studios produces titles by Blumhouse Productions, Apatow Productions, Original Film and others; ABC Television Studios produces shows by Shondaland, Entertainment One, even copros with CBS Studios (because TV is not completely vertically integrated.) And then they go shoot those studio projects often on the backlots of totally different "studios" (sometimes at rented competitor's studio,) and those studios are real places with 12K HMIs and NYC backdrops. Or, look back at Sony's history: "Japan Studios" only made a fraction of the games it actually produced (Bloodborne and recently the Bluepoint projects fall into that category,) and "989 Studios" barely made any games in a 989 Studios office, they went out to Eidtec and Idol Minds and Red Zone Interactive (some of which Sony did eventually bring in house, but not all, and many of the studios we think of as PlayStation Studios only got acquired after producing several marque franchises.) "Sony Santa Monica Studio" for a while became an incubation/publisher company for indies, but nobody came into their studio space to make Journey or Sound Shapes.

It's generally called PlayStation Studios because it's the place where the producers work out of (although gets complicated after COVID, but whatever with that...) The extended version of that corporate studio structure can also can have an office or multiple offices of game developers, but a studio isn't about the place so much as it is the corporate structure.

Them welcoming Housemarque into the PlayStation Studios family has meaning, but it doesn't mean that everything by PlayStation Studios is made by only the family. Some of those games are by brothers and sisters, others are by distant cousins who come for a stay, and when you're here, you're family at Olive Garden. Also, all of those products, even internal productions, will employ a large number of other companies which use the term "studio", such as the sound studios and mocap studios and CGI/asset generating studios and contracted partner studios and all kinds of other studios (some in a big warehouse studio, some in small little office studios, some probably in studio apartments somewhere on the globe) that get listed in the credits of your games, and Sony owns almost none of them buy pays them out of the PlayStation Studios budget.

Sony's not trying to tell you any of this, because telling you the gamer what the corporate definition of a "studio" is is, as you can tell, frustratingly fruitless. It's not needlessly ambiguous or confusing, it's pretty specific: PS Studios games are paid for and published by PlayStation Studios. They're using the PlayStation Studios brand (partly because the standard PlayStation logo has different stipulations of usage) to tell the audience, This is a game we backed and feel is indicative of the PlayStation experience we've set out to provide. If you're a deeper fan who is into which studios a console manufacturer does and doesn't own, that's cool knowledge, but then, of course, you're already somebody who doesn't need to check the logo to tell you who owns the company that made the game. General gamers aren't aware of all the business behind the products, and it's not an advantage for Sony to put a lot of effort into telling them. As long as people see PS Studios products as a mark of quality and interest, that's job done.

Erik needs putting on the fast train out of town along with Jim and Herman, then.

Eric Lempel has been with Sony since 2000. If you think Sony did anything right with PlayStation 2, with PlayStation 3, with PlayStation 4, with PSP and Vita, I'm not sure why you're saying he needs to be ejected now because you don't like how the company is using its newest logo.

Last edited:

John Wick

Indies they showed look like something out of the app store. Death Stranding is an upgrade and Deathloop is something they already showed before. What a waste of 30 minutes. No wonder they kept insisting that “more is coming soon”. Even they know it is an embarrassment of a show.
It was a state of play. I don't understand why people like you watch them and then chat shit? They explained what was gonna be shown beforehand. State of Plays are for games that are about to release like Deathloop(deep dive).
Those games were not something out of the app store. Sifu, Fist and Arcadegeddon were promising. It's your expectations which are an embarrassment.

ksdixon

You're putting a lot into your rage over Sony's use of a logo...

Corporate use of the term studios doesn't just mean only the studios they own. Look at television or film: Universal Studios produces titles by Blumhouse Productions, Apatow Productions, Original Film and others; ABC Television Studios produces shows by Shondaland, Entertainment One, even copros with CBS Studios (because TV is not completely vertically integrated.) And then they go shoot those studio projects often on the backlots of totally different "studios" (sometimes at rented competitor's studio,) and those studios are real places with 12K HMIs and NYC backdrops. Or, look back at Sony's history: "Japan Studios" only made a fraction of the games it actually produced (Bloodborne and recently the Bluepoint projects fall into that category,) and "989 Studios" barely made any games in a 989 Studios office, they went out to Eidtec and Idol Minds and Red Zone Interactive (some of which Sony did eventually bring in house, but not all, and many of the studios we think of as PlayStation Studios only got acquired after producing several marque franchises.)

It's generally called PlayStation Studios because it's the place where the producers work out of (although gets complicated after COVID, but whatever with that...) The extended version of that corporate studio structure can also can have an office or multiple offices of game developers, but a studio isn't about the place so much as it is the corporate structure.

Them welcoming Housemarque into the PlayStation Studios family has meaning, but it doesn't mean that everything by PlayStation Studios is made by only the family. Some of those games are by brothers and sisters, others are by distant cousins who come for a stay, and when you're here, you're family at Olive Garden. Also, all of those products, even internal productions, will employ a large number of other companies which use the term "studio", such as the sound studios and mocap studios and CGI/asset generating studios and contracted partner studios and all kinds of other studios (some in a big warehouse studio, some in small little office studios, some probably in studio apartments somewhere on the globe) that get listed in the credits of your games, and Sony owns almost none of them buy pays them out of the PlayStation Studios budget.

Sony's not trying to tell you any of this, because telling you the gamer what the corporate definition of a "studio" is is, as you can tell, frustratingly fruitless. It's not needlessly ambiguous or confusing, it's pretty specific: PS Studios games are paid for and published by PlayStation Studios. They're using the PlayStation Studios brand (partly because the standard PlayStation logo has different stipulations of usage) to tell the audience, This is a game we backed and feel is indicative of the PlayStation experience we've set out to provide. If you're a deeper fan who is into which studios Sony does and doesn't own, that's cool knowledge, but then you don't need to check the logo to tell you who owns the company that made the game. As long as people see PS Studios products as a mark of quality and interest, that's the job done right.

Eric Lempel has been with Sony since 2000. If you think Sony did anything right with PlayStation 2, with PlayStation 3, with PlayStation 4, with PSP and Vita, I'm not sure why you're saying he needs to be ejected now because you don't like how the company is using its newest logo.
Thank you for the background information, always nice to have wider explanation behind something, even if I still find it stupid, or what-have-you. By god, that's confusing. Still dislike the specific usage of that term in the logo though, and what it implies vs what it means. Something else could convery the message better. 'Enhanced for PS', 'PS Console Exclusive', 'PS+PC Only'?

I just think they're going to look mighty foolish if, say, Kojima does do a horror game on XB, and most people down at GameStop will look at a KojiPro boxart and say ''Huh? I thought KojiPro was a ''PS STUDIO''? I guess Sony weren't good enough to keep him...'' or something along those lines.

The Erik comment was tounge in cheek, though, not serious. Though for the record, Sony did the VITA dirty.

Boss Mog

That Deathloop framerate was absolutely disgusting. A game with those graphics should be a locked 60fps on PS5.

Top Bottom