• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | July 8, 2021 - Deathloop, Indies, and Third-party games.

tmlDan

Even when Sony say's what they're gonna show people still get mad? are ya'll off your meds? lol

Honestly i thought it was good, the indies looked great and DS looked fantastic. No qualms here, when we get a larger showcase I'll have higher expectations - considering Kena wasn't here i expect it to be before August 24th.

Aside from seeing nothing interesting, Deathloop actually looked kind of boring to me.

I'm sure most of us, like myself, saw that info from Sony and can still be disappointed. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
Why would you be disappointed? DeathLoop was going to be the focus, we already knew what that game was going in. They didn't even mention any other games by name so clearly they weren't going to be showing anything substantial.

Phase

bored christopher walken GIF

I'm glad at least you guys are entertaining to read.

Raonak

Banned
Pretty good state of play, the indies looked real neat.

Moss 2, Jett and Sifi looked very promising.

That Lost Judgement trailer just convinced me to jump into judgement.

Last edited:
Sifu, Fist, Jett and Lost Judgment all looked interesting to me.

Deathloop is not my kind of game, but if the game gets glowing reviews it might change my opinion.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No Little Devil Inside broke my heart.

end of school crying GIF

But other than that, a pretty good State of Play that delivered on what was promised. Death Stranding was a nice surprise.

Jett, Sifu, and Tribes of Midgard continue to look very impressive. I wish we had the release date for Jett. Seems like a missed opportunity if it is still coming in 2021. It was also nice to finally see F.I.S.T. again after a relatively long time.

Now, for the August* event ...

bHe1x3J.gif

I think there were no news at all, only updates on some smaller projects.
I a pretty sure that the next big Sony event is not far away since they mentioned at the end „they will be back before you know it“. Also with Kojima productions writing that they have a lot more in a few weeks, I think that all points to a bigger Sony event.

HawarMiran

Banned
mannnn i need some fucking conference from Sony with new announcements. Best would be with people attending, just for the hype reactions, but i would take an online event aswell. DEATHLOOP looks sick but i don't need you to show me more of it goddammit!!!

Venom Snake

Indie games must also have their few minutes of coverage, especially those that we can expect in the nearest future.
This is definitely more of a reminder than the usual on-stage flexing, with a wave of heavy-hitters and mankind-saving services in the background.

There is a suitable time and place for everything.

Last edited:
Because as I wrote in my post, nothing interested me.
I think it was a pretty safe bet that we all were going to come out of this feeling like that or close to it. The good thing is if and when Sony does a bigger show this year these games won't need to take up any time

John Wick

What it was and meant to be? We went from E3 to this and you are calling this OK? Not even Sony is convinced by saying soon soon for like a million time. It was lame.
Clearly your stupid. You obviously have no idea what a State of Play is? Sony never claimed this to be an E3 style showcase.

sol_bad

Preeeetty disappointing State of Play, these events don't generally do big announcements unfortunately.

FranXico

Are people seriously concern trolling (or even worse, really triggered) over the "Playstation Studios" logo used on a Playstation Studios published game?

Wow.

reksveks

Are people seriously concern trolling (or even worse, really triggered) over the "Playstation Studios" logo used on a Playstation Studios published game?

Wow.
It also confused me when there was a similar discussion about Microsoft Flight Simulator. It just seems so unimportant.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
With all the rumors circulating that the Sony event got delayed for whatever reason, my guess is that this was indeed a filler state of play, where things got put in, where Sony is has promoting obligations and these are coming really soon so they couldn’t wait anymore.

THis makes a lot of sense. Some of these games, Deathloop etc are coming out in a little over two months. Sony probably has/had agreements in place to show these off around this time and had to just throw something together.

I hope we dont have to wait long for some more news for 2021 releases because Q4 is looking LIGHT for the ps5 right now.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So you pay to upgrade it either way?
Well DLC is payed the upgrade of Gears 5 is not and based on things listed, so if Directors Cut have some additional content, it's fine to have it payed, but the PS5 features would be nice to have even for the base version.

DavidGzz

Even when Sony say's what they're gonna show people still get mad? are ya'll off your meds? lol

Honestly i thought it was good, the indies looked great and DS looked fantastic. No qualms here, when we get a larger showcase I'll have higher expectations - considering Kena wasn't here i expect it to be before August 24th.

Did you visit E3 threads? MS's show was 10x better and was still given a D by many users on here. Not sure how you're surprised when this show was terrible in comparison.

arvfab

Banned
With all the rumors circulating that the Sony event got delayed for whatever reason, my guess is that this was indeed a filler state of play, where things got put in, where Sony is has promoting obligations and these are coming really soon so they couldn’t wait anymore.

Makes sense. They clearly thought that a shorter MS E3 styled SoP would be sufficient to get these obligations out of the way

LMJ

Did you visit E3 threads? MS's show was 10x better and was still given a D by many users on here. Not sure how you're surprised when this show was terrible in comparison.

Show? it was a State of Play...not an E3 show

And as others have said when it comes to SOP's Sony almost ALWAYS says what they will have in them and people STILL find a reason to whine lol

Honestly I enjoyed it, F.I.S.T, Moss 2 and freaking Death Stranding DC all look awesome (glad I waited) and heck even Death Loop looks good to me (but seriously those weapon sounds are really weak)

This is the same level of worry people had back after MS Xbox (Sony are teh doomeds, nutting to show etc) next gen showcase, and then Sony showed their PS5 showcase and it blew up...

Relax Sony has a big presentation in the works, I guarantee you

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned

10x better? It was practically the same (indies+timed-exclusives+additional content to existing games). I rated the MS show D and would have rated this one the same, maybe D+ for being shorter, knowing upfront how disappointing it is and not being a 90 minutes long Gamepass AD.

DavidGzz

10x better? It was practically the same (indies+timed-exclusives+additional content to existing games). I rated the MS show D and would have rated this one the same, maybe D+ for being shorter, knowing upfront how disappointing it is and not being a 90 minutes long Gamepass AD.

Yeah, Deathloop is a game Xbox will get later and Sony won't see it's sequels if it gets any. Pretty terrible. Compared to Forza 5, Halo Inifinite, and 27/30 games being on Game Pass day one? Fuck ya it was.

DonJorginho

Banned
That was bad. Moss Book 2 is exciting, but that's literally the only thing I cared about.

DonJorginho DonJorginho was this Sony "going big" that you promised?
Not at all bud, this was simply a smaller showcase to get rid of all the filler they needed to show off that they wouldn't have time for at a big event, if you didn't read the PS Blog post for the SoP itself, it did say this.

This showcase will not include updates on the next God of War, Horizon Forbidden West or the next generation of PlayStation VR. Stay tuned throughout the summer though, as we’ll have more updates soon.

And for the record, I didn't promise anything, so please don't put words in my mouth. That being said, I'm very confident we get something big this summer in the form of an online showcase, as we know Sony have a LOT more to show. And the comment in the PS Blog post basically confirms this at this point does it not?

FranXico

This was not intended to be an E3-like show. The scope was clearly communicated when they announced it.

Please stop the disingenuous comparisons.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
10x better is very subjective, because apart from Forza Horizon 5, none of the games had a proper show. Many of their biggest games that were already announced -- Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Everwild -- didn't even show up or share any update. Instead, there were more CGI trailers, such as Redfall, The Outer Worlds 2, and Contraband -- most of which we won't be seeing for a long time.

Anyway, there is no comparison, and it is disingenuous to compare the two shows, because E3 was the biggest Xbox show for the year. This State of Play was not the biggest Sony show for the year. You are comparing apples with oranges and then complaining why they aren't the same.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
This was not intended to be an E3-like show. The scope was clearly communicated when they announced it.

Funny thing is, it was practically equal (but shorter) to MS E3 show, minus the constant Gamepass AD and the fact that we already knew how "disappointing" it would be, while MS surprised us with how disappointing their show was 😂

Gotta love all this concern trolling!

Last edited:
Deathloop looks great to me. It also looks like they could expand it quite easily.
PS5 launch would have been boosted hugely if it had come out day one but it's better finished.
Two questions I have are: Can you play with friends and will it be on pc gamepass? Hmmmm

ZywyPL

Banned
Well, imho, F.I.S.T. is better value for my money than Deathloop...

Deathloop's gameplay looks to me like something you want to be done with as soon as possible and move onto something else/better, not something you'd want to repeat over and over again, especially the shooting is underwhelming as hell.

DavidGzz

Just because it wasn't supposed to be as big as an E3 presentation doesn't mean it didn't suck. You'd be tearing into MS if this were their first show after E3. It's going to be seen as a response whether you like it or not.

Come on guys, I wanted to see a good show, why are we defending this one? I want more reasons to dust off the PS5.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just because it wasn't supposed to be as big as an E3 presentation doesn't mean it didn't suck. You'd be tearing into MS if this were their first show after E3. It's going to be seen as a response whether you like it or not.

Come on guys, I wanted to see a good show, why are we defending this one? I want more reasons to dust off the PS5.
Because it didn't suck. And it was a pretty good show for what was promised.

Ellery

Much better than I expected it to be. Pretty decent small show that was better than most big E3 shows and this was only to get the small stuff out of the way so the good games get all the spotlight in the upcoming event.

Death Stranding seemingly has change a lot. Very big upgrade kind of

Top Bottom