• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | April 29, 2021 - 15 Mins of Ratchet and Clank + Two Indies

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I didn't find it impressive either, considering the gameplay they themselves showed last year had better graphics quality.

Current gameplay looks... I don't know... "blurry"? It has downgrade.

I don't doubt the game will be awesome to play and fun af though.

Mate, I think your eyes have been downgraded since last gameplay, with all due respect. I'll be posting some proper 4K screenies after watching it. This is fucking playable cutscenes I'm seeing! Nothing comes close to this in the gaming industry!

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't think youtube is doing Ratchet & Clank proper justice. It's sure to look much better when you're playing it.

Not a whole lotta new stuff, but that's fine. Save it for E3. Wait is Sony doing E3?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Sid Meier: "A game is a series of interesting choices."

NeoGAF: "A game is ultra short loading times, shiny pretty things, and eye vomit."

Cam annnnnn, you can have both games that are more tactical and employ thinking and cinematic fun times where you react in real time. I think you know this though.

Why you such a troll?

We'll be internet friends with you if you don't act like a nobber.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Man i really don’t buy a playstation 5 for these kids games.

i fucking love my switch. But the last thing i want to play on my ps5 is this mario ripoff..
It just lacks something and i can’t put my finger on it

there is srsly only one platformer i would instantly buy on ps5 and that is the one from team asobi (astro bot) i always thought ratchet was a boring good looking platformer.

i tried it AGAIN. When it was free recently..
but i just do not care about this IP period.

i am glad for the fans of this IP.
but would you srsly pick ratchet over mario?
tenor.gif

What is this.....

DrAspirino

Banned
Mate, I think your eyes have been downgraded since last gameplay, with all due respect. I'll posting some proper 4K screenies after watching it. This is fucking playable cutscenes I'm seeing! Nothing comes close to this in the gaming industry!
I don't know. My eyeglasses are fine. Maybe last year gameplay demo looks better on my TV, since I only have a 1080p Panasonic LED TV. =/

For what I have seen, comparing year-over-year I THINK it looks better last year's version and this year's has downgrade. Now, if we compare it to whatever else is on the industry right now... it literally blows away everything. THIS is proper next-gen.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I don't think youtube is doing Ratchet & Clank proper justice. It's sure to look much better when you're playing it.

Not a whole lotta new stuff, but that's fine. Save it for E3. Wait is Sony doing E3?

I was a bit disappointed with parts of the stream but I thought this showed it off much better:

I wish could go back to the days of having ultra quality encodes on sites like gamersyde but its no more, its all pootube now.

Kuranghi

I don't know. My eyeglasses are fine. Maybe last year gameplay demo looks better on my TV, since I only have a 1080p Panasonic LED TV. =/

Its definitely hard to appreciate some of the micro detail at 1080p, how big is the TV and what exact model is it? The sticker on the back will tell you if you aren't sture.

When can you upgrade to 4K?

DrAspirino

Banned
Its definitely hard to appreciate some of the micro detail at 1080p, how big is the TV and what exact model is it? The sticker on the back will tell you if you aren't sture.

When can you upgrade to 4K?
It's a 40-inch 1080p Panasonic TC-40D400. Not planning on getting a 4K though, since all of them are "smart tv" here in my country and most content I consume (live concerts, youtube jazz videos, and stuff like that) is on 1080p at most.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

For what I have seen, comparing year-over-year I THINK it looks better last year's version and this year's has downgrade. Now, if we compare it to whatever else is on the industry right now... it literally blows away everything. THIS is proper next-gen.

I think you watched the stream, it's 1080p and usually blurry. Watch the 4K video that is 16min. Here is a teaser: (Downloaded the WEBM file from youtube, PNG screenshot using VLC)

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h04m09s791.png

Last edited:

SSfox

I didn't expected to see a game in that level before 2022 tbh, super impressive, GG Insomniac looking forward for it.

PS: I will be really pissed if Dragon Quest 12 will be Nintendo only and won't be on PS5, imagine how amazing DQ12 would be and look on PS5, DQ11 vanilla (not the other shitty downgraded version) already looks super awesome on PS4.

Kuranghi

It's a 40-inch 1080p Panasonic TC-40D400. Not planning on getting a 4K though, since all of them are "smart tv" here in my country and most content I consume (live concerts, youtube jazz videos, and stuff like that) is on 1080p at most.

Ah fair enough then, do you have a next gen console or decent for gaming PC?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Cam annnnnn, you can have both games that are more tactical and employ thinking and cinematic fun times where you react in real time. I think you know this though.

Why you such a troll?

We'll be internet friends with you if you don't act like a nobber.

I guess what's strange to me isn't that Sony / Insomniac is making Ratchet and Clank 12. There's obviously a market strategy being employed here that cares about keeping the lights on. No shame in that.

It's that there's a population of male, adult gamers who've been playing games since the 90s, who find this to be anything but formulaic garbage.

There's no soul here. No risk. This is market researched paint by numbers drivel targeted at kids.

This isn't Toy Story. This is Toy Story 12.

Hunnybun

I didn't find it impressive either, considering the gameplay they themselves showed last year had better graphics quality.

Current gameplay looks... I don't know... "blurry"? It has downgrade.

I don't doubt the game will be awesome to play and fun af though.

Honestly man you have to be fucking kidding.

Not only did this look absolutely stupendously beautiful, it's also a significant upgrade on the already spectacular demo they showed last year.

Hands down the best looking game ever. Hands down.

I usually avoid the stream as they drop the 4K, sharp video just after it. Here, use this and put it at 4K to be downsampled to 1080p:

To be fair - the games looks insanly detailed and high textured and sharp yet I have seen at least 2 cases of weird popins/texture changes in the beginning of the gameplay stuff. Theres probably more of it but I wasn't watching all of it.

Which is kinda weird. The stuff I saw was related to some kind of ventilation shafts/ducts it was in close proximity and quite visible.
Obviously stuff like that will be even more visible now that everything else is so good and smooth looking.

2 minutes and 10 seconds into this vid. First the left side ventilation suddenly getting brighter and about a second later the smoke kinda popping up on the shafts to the right side.

Last edited:
I guess what's strange to me isn't that Sony / Insomniac is making Ratchet and Clank 12. There's obviously a market strategy being employed here that cares about keeping the lights on. No shame in that.

It's that there's a population of male, adult gamers who've been playing games since the 90s, who find this to be anything but formulaic garbage.

There's no soul here. No risk. This is market researched paint by numbers drivel targeted at kids.

This isn't Toy Story. This is Toy Story 12.

You need to tone the preaching down box before mods decide you need a time out

Well a real man_in_boxes needs hardcore brutal action games with sexualised woman to feel like a real man. Don't you dare having fun with other games, otherwise you ain't worthy of his appreciation.

I can absolutely emphasise with the desire to have big anime tiddies in my games. Mix a little bit of milf and barely legal in there and you've got a real alpha male product in your hands

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
To be fair - the games looks insanly detailed and high textured and sharp yet I have seen at least 2 cases of weird popins/texture changes in the beginning of the gameplay stuff. Theres probably more of it but I wasn't watching all of it.

Which is kinda weird. The stuff I saw was related to some kind of ventilation shafts/ducts it was in close proximity and quite visible.
Obviously stuff like that will be even more visible now that everything else is so good and smooth looking.

2 minutes and 10 seconds into this vid. First the left side ventilation suddenly getting brighter and about a second later the smoke kinda popping up on the shafts to the right side.

Watched it frame by frame now, that's not pop in. The flash because he broke them, smoke sneaked out after he broke them. Frame by frame, zero pop ins.

Anyway, I'll send the first batch of screenshots shortly.

Ixion

Looks breathtaking to be honest. I’ve played all the mainline R&C games, and that city at the beginning really felt like how you always dreamt a R&C city should look and feel like.

Also, Rivet seems like a solid character. Jennifer Hale doing a good job as always.

Yeah, the original R&C trilogy definitely had a little extra edge and cooler music, whereas lately the series does feel a bit more “polished”. But overall I’ve yet to be disappointed so far, and this one looks like a trip.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
The amount of unique NPC's, traffic, lighting, particles and explosions..... and it looks very sharp, on the video version I watched anyway.

The world changes are crazy fast too and I love the variety of stuff, seems like there is amassive amount of content. The armor looks amazing, can't wait to collect it all.

I need this game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
First batch of screenshots, more coming! 4K screenshots made from the WebM file downloaded from YouTube, then made PNG screenshots out of it via VLC:

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h14m28s852.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h15m10s058.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h18m00s151.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h19m29s794.png

Cutscene

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h24m42s308.png

Gameplay, yes, you play what you see in cutscenes, same quality

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h27m06s884.png

Gameplay as well, with all the crazy traffic, sticking it to CP2077 2D traffic

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h31m09s913.png

They've made Ratchet pretty hairy, an upgrade I think since last time. Now he looks more "male" and mature to distinguish him from Rivet

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h32m09s051.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h37m27s655.png

Previous screenshots:

More to come! This is literally Sony Pictures animation level!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
First batch of screenshots, more coming! 4K screenshots made from the WebM file downloaded from YouTube, then made PNG screenshots out of it via VLC:

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h14m28s852.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h15m10s058.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h18m00s151.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h19m29s794.png

Cutscene

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h24m42s308.png

Gameplay, yes, you play what you see in cutscenes, same quality

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h27m06s884.png

Gameplay as well, with all the crazy traffic, sticking it to CP2077 2D traffic

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h31m09s913.png

They've made Ratchet pretty hairy, an upgrade I think since last time. Now he looks more "male" and mature to distinguish him from Rivet

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h32m09s051.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h37m27s655.png

Previous screenshots:

More to come! This is literally Sony Pictures animation level!
Perfection Chefs Kiss GIF by Rose McGowan

Kuranghi

I wish we had a better trailer, the bright parts aren't too bad but the shadows really look crappy and the colour suffers in general, this will look much better natively imo, like RE8. TO BE CLEAR I think the gfx look amazing already, just IQ sucks.

I'm getting annoyed by not being able to see close to what a game looks like natively before release, gamersyde used to get all the good stuff but they said marketing channels just dont bother now because its all direct to youtube. Its a nice surprise sometimes but other times it just makes a game look disappointing in the run up to release.

Now the only option is waiting until after release and then check out specific 4K HDR channels who do really high quality 4K recording, like this one:

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Our Play at Home copies of Subnautica are getting upgraded for free? Might have to buy Below Zero just to support the dev.

I've gone on a media black for R&C but boy am I tempted to watch this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom