• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | April 29, 2021 - 15 Mins of Ratchet and Clank + Two Indies

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Gameplay, yes, you play what you see in cutscenes, same quality
And this is an example of what they meant when they said it was real time. Maybe some folks will understand this now.

Amazing, amazing stuff.

And yes, 1080P does this no kinds of justice.

I'm gonna watch it again in 4K after I finish working. The stream was so so.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
677gPcA.jpg

Traxtech

Man i really don’t buy a playstation 5 for these kids games.

i fucking love my switch. But the last thing i want to play on my ps5 is this mario ripoff..
It just lacks something and i can’t put my finger on it

there is srsly only one platformer i would instantly buy on ps5 and that is the one from team asobi (astro bot) i always thought ratchet was a boring good looking platformer.

i tried it AGAIN. When it was free recently..
but i just do not care about this IP period.

i am glad for the fans of this IP.
but would you srsly pick ratchet over mario?
Just means it isn't for you.

Meanwhile this 32 year old can't fucking wait for this game. My body is ready.

Last edited:

yurinka

Not a whole lotta new stuff, but that's fine. Save it for E3. Wait is Sony doing E3?
This game gets released the day before E3, so it's normal to show it now and save future big games for E3.

Pretty likely Sony won't be oficially at E3, but they will have a E3-like event in summer. Maybe during E3 days (June) or during EVO (August).

But yes, make sure they will have a big summer event to showcase at least their big H2 2021 + early 2022 games: Horizon 2, Kena, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Little Devil Inside, Stray, GoW, Project Athia/Forspoken, GT7...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's a 40-inch 1080p Panasonic TC-40D400. Not planning on getting a 4K though, since all of them are "smart tv" here in my country and most content I consume (live concerts, youtube jazz videos, and stuff like that) is on 1080p at most.

1080p looks much better on a 4K TV. If you can spare some buck, I highly recommend it. It's a massive jump you'll understand when you get it.

Kuranghi

I saw some interesting menus and options from the ultra fast montage at the end, so I went through frame by frame.

The Haptics section will please people who thought footsteps giving haptic feedback in Control was awful, as you can just have "functional" haptics:

F4F9D4Z.jpg
aEg5ANx.jpg

The Toggles & Assists and Video & Contrast Options pages, I'm glad you can turn off CA and lower or turn off film grain & motion blur if you dislike those effects. You can even turn off Depth of Field, which is nice to have for people with vision problems:

kBJf0h5.jpg
YG958Mc.jpg

Extra notes: I didn't get a pictures but the Fire Mode can be set to Toggle so it just keeps firing until you press it again, unless its a grenade or other very slow firing weapon.

Aim Assist is crosshair magnetism, it says the Strong setting applies even more assists. Auto-Aim is that thing in Red Read Redemption where when you ADS it whips the crosshair to the nearest baddies chest but I assume you still track them after that if you have Aim Assist off. Auto Aim is a literal GTA 3 style hard lock-on, I feel like a much older Ratchet had this option too, the first one maybe?

Seems like a pretty customisable experience.

Great Job Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I was hoping that female Ratchet played differently than OG Ratchet. Didn't think I was being too unreasonable. But I forgot that she's an alt.

Banned
I saw some interesting menus and options from the ultra fast montage at the end, so I went through frame by frame.

The Haptics section will please people who thought footsteps giving haptic feedback in Control was awful, as you can just have "functional" haptics:

F4F9D4Z.jpg
aEg5ANx.jpg

The Toggles & Assists and Video & Contrast Options pages, I'm glad you can turn off (terrible) CA, lower film grain and motion blur if you dislike those effects. You can even turn off Depth of Field, which is nice to have:

kBJf0h5.jpg
YG958Mc.jpg

Extra notes: I didn't get a pictures but the Fire Mode can be set to Toggle so it just keeps firing until you press it again, unless its a grenade or other very slow firing weapon.

Aim Assist is crosshair magnetism, it says the Strong setting applies even more assists. Auto-Aim is that thing in Red Read Redemption where when you ADS it whips the crosshair to the nearest baddies chest but I assume you still track them after that if you have Aim Assist off. Auto Aim is a literal GTA 3 style hard lock-on, I feel like a much older Ratchet had this option too, the first one maybe?

Great Job Reaction GIF

that Motion Blur slider will go AAAAAAALLLLL the way down immediately lol...

Kuranghi

that Motion Blur slider will go AAAAAAALLLLL the way down immediately lol...

I think the first ever gameplay had it set a bit higher, from pausing the two videos while he's flipping its looks stronger in the older one. Actually, when he's just running forward in this one its really clear.

F4F9D4Z.jpg
aEg5ANx.jpg

The Toggles & Assists and Video & Contrast Options pages, I'm glad you can turn off CA and lower or turn off film grain & motion blur if you dislike those effects. You can even turn off Depth of Field, which is nice to have for people with vision problems:

kBJf0h5.jpg
YG958Mc.jpg

Great Job Reaction GIF

I'll be nuking film grain and motion blur.

• Strength
Reactions: RNG

Hunnybun

I tell you what, it's hardly surprising that developers generally show games running on powerful PCs early on when you see JUST how much better this and Returnal look than in June last year.

The improvement is incredible. They look like different games.

Those graphics and loadings
season 2 showtime GIF by Shameless

And for the random guy who is trolling with the Mario topic, please do yourself a favor play both
games and stop acting like a little fanboy.

If you cannot afford it get a better job instead waste time in an internet forum.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
Fuckin finally an actual fully next gen game. I wasn’t loving the last ratchet and clank but it looks like they improved the gameplay in all the right ways as well. And I bet the dual sense implementation is way better in this than in the other games that have been released so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
First batch of screenshots, more coming! 4K screenshots made from the WebM file downloaded from YouTube, then made PNG screenshots out of it via VLC:

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h04m09s791.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h14m28s852.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h15m10s058.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h18m00s151.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h19m29s794.png

Cutscene

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h24m42s308.png

Gameplay, yes, you play what you see in cutscenes, same quality

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h27m06s884.png

Gameplay as well, with all the crazy traffic, sticking it to CP2077 2D traffic

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h31m09s913.png

They've made Ratchet pretty hairy, an upgrade I think since last time. Now he looks more "male" and mature to distinguish him from Rivet

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h32m09s051.png

happy jeff bridges GIF

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Forgive me if someone already answered this, but do I qualify for the free Subnautica PS5 upgrade if I own the free Play at Home 2021 PS4 version?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Damn, Rivet also has cute little earrings I never noticed before! (Bo's screenshot #2).

And she is well designed. Such a pretty character. Honestly, saying it in a non-creepy way, but Insomniac really made her look Disney-esque gorgeous! (screenshot #4)

Ozzie666

I see a lot of Sunset over drive in there, or maybe it's the other way around. These guys are so good, The Factor 5 of their generation. I love how Sony first party studios help each other out, getting stronger and stronger.

SEGA should give these guys Sonic for a spin...

Kuranghi

Damn, Rivet also has cute little earrings I never noticed before! (Bo's screenshot #2).

And she is well designed. Such a pretty character. Honestly, saying it in a non-creepy way, but Insomniac really made her look Disney-esque gorgeous! (screenshot #4)

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h18m00s151.png
Linus_Sebastian_Screenshot_From_Youtube_August_5_2013.png

The inspiration ^^^^

How about we do a voice chat and I describe the trailer to you in real time?

I see a lot of Sunset over drive in there, or maybe it's the other way around. These guys are so good, The Factor 5 of their generation. I love how Sony first party studios help each other out, getting stronger and stronger.

SEGA should give these guys Sonic for a spin...

Sunset Overdrive's grinding is directly inspired from the previous Ratchet games I'm sure, the dash is new to the series afaik though.

SNG32

Man i really don’t buy a playstation 5 for these kids games.

i fucking love my switch. But the last thing i want to play on my ps5 is this mario ripoff..
It just lacks something and i can’t put my finger on it

there is srsly only one platformer i would instantly buy on ps5 and that is the one from team asobi (astro bot) i always thought ratchet was a boring good looking platformer.

i tried it AGAIN. When it was free recently..
but i just do not care about this IP period.

i am glad for the fans of this IP.
but would you srsly pick ratchet over mario?

You can enjoy both. I've been playing Ratchet since they PS2 days and it's one of my favorite platformers next to Mario. I get it's not your cup of tea but being on it's 12th game i'm pretty sure it's established it's self as more than a Mario rip off.

Top Bottom