• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Review copies go out this week according to Tom Henderson

I haven’t played BG3 but how are the environmental interactions? Can you cut down a tree? Go into someone’s house and interact with all the furniture, fruit etc. (pretty much anything)?

That stuff is also something BGS tend to excel at from what I can tell. But I guess that could fit your ‘lived in’ analogy as it does ad some weight to the actual world/environment.
To the extent you can rummage through inventory. The environment has slot of elemental interaction but there’s no real NPC routines or anything like that.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I can't imagine playing Skyrim on release day without mods, this is one of those game that I willing to wait for a year or two so I will have a much better experience with well developed mods.

Little Mac

Gold Member
11/11/22 Original Release date. 10 extra months of bug squashing, spit and polish.

It will still be buggy af. Any BGS game where you can pick up practically anything, take it, store it, or drop it and it still be where you left it months later will be a mess at launch. Doesn’t mean the game won’t be absolutely amazing but everyone needs to be realistic when it comes to the bugs. Expect numerous player meltdowns online in regards to corrupted save files, vanishing items in inventory, ect

I’m anticipating a 85-90 score at launch with the game improving considerably after an handful of updates (or content expansions). Starfield will provide dedicated gamers years of enjoyment. I think it will sell ALOT of GP subscriptions and be amongst the top 5 game releases this year but I don’t think it will be GOTY.

From what I’ve seen (which isn’t much) that’s my best guess atleast.

Lokaum D+

By artistic decision they simply mean they chose graphically fidelity over FR and that at 60 fps on console, they couldn't achieve a level of fidelity they were happy with.
yeah, i just dont understand why dont give us the option, u know, it not like every PC ll run this game at the "fidelity they were happy with", a lot of PC ll run this game at Series S level of detail or even lower, but at 60fps or even higher, said that i doubt Series S can mantain this "level of fidelity they were happy with" if compared with Series X.

at the end of the day i have no faith in Bethesda anymore, i think this game ll be bug as hell and poorly optimized, even powerfull PC ll have to brute force the 60fps mode, hopefully i ll be wrong.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This game?
Yup. A true RPG that’s huge and has so many new systems to the team. The combat is all new with tons of new weapons and ammo that they’ve never done before. New flight system with ship customization, which is something they’ve never done before, base building, which looks much improved from Fallout 4. More dialog than ever before. And more.

That shit takes time.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
This game?

Lol you think the team has been working on Starfield for 8 years?

Man you funny. They entered production mid 2018.

Most of the team would’ve been workin on other games, like Fallout online probably. A small group would’ve been working on the concept of Starfield sure.

Still think people have unrealistic expectations about the actual scope of the content in this game but we will see.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Most of the team would’ve been workin on other games, like Fallout online probably.

Still think people have unrealistic expectations about the actual scope of the content in this game but we will see.
Amd a couple of year at least in pre so that makes 7-8 years minimum?

Thats a long cook by any standards.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Amd a couple of year at least in pre so that makes 7-8 years minimum?

Thats a long cook by any standards.

But we never count incubation period for other productions, why now? There’s a reason for that too because production is when content is actually produced.

"cooking" is now an overused phrase on social media based on that kingdom hearts meme. It means the game is fully baked, finished, etc.

18a.jpg

nqPENWl.png

clarky

Gold Member
But we never count incubation period for other productions, why now? There’s a reason for that too because production is when content is actually produced.
Do we not?

Why do we have people crying over a 5 year dev time(so far) of Fable or Perfect dark for example.

Stafford

I just hope what we saw at the Direct was representative of XSX and I really hope they have proper HDR, but I have my doubts. It wasn't good in Fallout 76. I wish devs would just let auto HDR do its thing in those cases.

Proper HDR can make such a difference, and with a space game like this it could really shine. But I am prepared for the real possibility that I might need to turn HDR off in the Xbox settings.

simpatico

Most of the team would’ve been workin on other games, like Fallout online probably. A small group would’ve been working on the concept of Starfield sure.

What would the curvature of a plantet the size of a GTA map be? We talking Mario Galaxy levels of roundness?

Last edited:

Fabieter

It was either 30FPS or start cutting features. They chose the former not to compromise on their creative vision. You’re working with hardware with finite amount of resources, you can’t have everything.

It’s actually very easy to understand for someone who developed anything in their lifetime.

I’m sure I’ll get 😂 responses to this post from armchair developers.

You know they could do modes and do both but they didnt.

StereoVsn

11/11/22 Original Release date. 10 extra months of bug squashing, spit and polish.
Skyrim and Fallout 4 still have a ton of bugs and it's been years and multiple re-releases, lol.

It's certainly going to be interesting. I am beary busy with BG3 😉 though so will get it a bit post launch, maybe wait till BF or something.

StereoVsn

To the extent you can rummage through inventory. The environment has slot of elemental interaction but there’s no real NPC routines or anything like that.
Well, there are some scripted routines, but nothing "spontaneous".

Still, the game is amazing, just very different from Bethesda's approach. It's definitely worth playing.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Honest question, Why MS and Bethesda says that 30fps on consoles is a artistic/creative direction when PC ll run the game above 30fps ? if it is a artistic/creative direction the game shouldnt be locket at 30fps even on PC ?

The decision is about whether to lower the graphics or remove features OR target 60FPS.

That's what that means. You could choose framerate over other things, they chose the other things.

Lokaum D+

The decision is about whether to lower the graphics or remove features OR target 60FPS.

That's what that means. You could choose framerate over other things, they chose the other things.
that dosnt make sense, since i ll be able to run the game at 60fps on a PC if i choose, i can turn down "features" if i want in order to run the game on a higher FPS or i can choose to run the game on 30fps with this "features" ON, u see, "they choose high features over performance" is bs imo, if that was the case, they should have locked the fps and "features" on Pc as well in order to everyone apriciate this world that they are building the same way.

imo the game is badly optimized and they are out of time in order to make a performance mode, this "locked at 30fps" due creative choices is justa bs that i ll never bought.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
that dosnt make sense, since i ll be able to run the game at 60fps on a PC if i choose, i can turn down "features" if i want in order to run the game on a higher FPS or i can choose to run the game on 30fps with this "features" ON, u see, "they choose high features over performance" is bs imo, if that was the case, they should have locked the fps and "features" on Pc as well in order to everyone apriciate this world that they are building the same way.

imo the game is badly optimized and they are out of time in order to make a performance mode, this "locked at 30fps" due creative choices is justa bs that i ll never bought.

It does make sense, and it doesn't matter how "optimized" the code is. Like literally at all.

Any codebase, will always have a certain set of features to meet 60FPS vs. one to meet 30FPS on fixed hardware. That's true of the most optimized code in the world, and the least optimized code.

They have decided the game looks like garbage to try to get it to 60FPS on XSX, that's their decision.

The decision is about Xbox, not PC... so not even sure why PC is brought up.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

It does make sense, and it doesn't matter how "optimized" the code is. Like literally at all.

Any codebase, will always have a certain set of features to meet 60FPS vs. one to meet 30FPS on fixed hardware. That's true of the most optimized code in the world, and the least optimized code.

They have decided the game looks like garbage to try to get it to 60FPS on XSX, that's their decision.

The decision is about Xbox, not PC... so not even sure why PC is brought up.
afkgaming%2F2021-08%2F79649079-d0e7-4acd-853b-6a2b92797da3%2Fcopium_png.png

Ozriel

M$FT

Actually, it’s your post that doesn’t make sense.
The Xbox specs are locked, so they know what they’re working with, and the limitations of the hardware.
No sense in capping framerate on PC since there are PCs more powerful than the Xbox consoles and capable of achieving the blend of visuals, high framerate and resolution.

You’ll be making that choice yourself, since it’s unlikely you’ll be hitting 60fps on your PC anyway.

Freudian Slip?

Salz01

Guessing: Official mods will be on both platforms, the modding tools will be on PC, Nexus mods will only work on PC, mods that are dabbling with exe files will only work on Steam.
Thanks. Looking like I’m going to dabble on Xbox console. Then full purchase on steam.

Stafford

Wish they’d worked on a 40fps mode for folks with a VRR display. At least that’s an acceptable middle ground.

It's amazing. I saw it the other day with A Plague Tale 2, I went from 30 to 40fps and the difference was very, very noticeable. I'd like to believe BGS tried, but couldn't get it smooth? No idea.

I would have loved ah optional mode where they just unlock the framerate. But alas.

Fabieter

Ah yes, lower the resolution and call it a 60FPS mode. Genius, I wonder why they didn’t thought of that!

Yea its not like 90% of games offer a 60 fps mode this gen. I dont know why you are so passive about it. With enough sacrifices it would have been possible.

I also wonder if they support 40 fps modes for people with 120 hz tvs.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yea its not like 90% of games offer a 60 fps mode this gen. I dont know why you are so passive about it. With enough sacrifices it would have been possible.

I also wonder if they support 40 fps modes for people with 120 hz tvs.
Stop crying and buy a pc.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've been fully hit with the hype bug....2 weeks until I can play...I can almost taste it!

In for my space adventure and the gifs of bugs....

8 years since fallout 4...I'm ready Bethesda. Can't wait to make my own ship!

I'm watching the expanse and playing outer worlds to tide me over and its onky making me more hyped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom