• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Review copies go out this week according to Tom Henderson

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Vacation time booked.

Space Travel Controls GIF by Xbox
Me too! Holiday weekend had me use one less day.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm playing the shit out of BG3 (still in act 1 yes because I explore and read everything, sometimes reloading a save to try different options etc)

image.png

and yet I can't wait to put my hands on Starfield. You know people can appreciate many games right? Not to mention they have nothing in common.

Between BG3 and Starfield, I'm really not sure I'll have time for anything else the rest of the year. These games seem massive and I'm like you in that I like to explore and take it all in.

Stafford

After playing baldur's gate 3 I'm looking to starfield even more now, despite bg3 being my goty so far, I really want some real time battle rpgs, much better city reaction AI and a game that is much more moddable. The release dates of bg3 and starfield is in perfect timing, as long as the starfield main game isn't broken and hit its promises, both games would help out each other in terms of sales. Players that finished either game will likely be tired of the formula a bit and need some change by playing the other.

I am hoping they have improved the AI of city folk much better than their previous games, because playing the older games now is rough. Especially while my current game is RDR2 where the NPCs have extremely believeable reactions. I don't expect that kind of detail from BGS though.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I am hoping they have improved the AI of city folk much better than their previous games, because playing the older games now is rough. Especially while my current game is RDR2 where the NPCs have extremely believeable reactions. I don't expect that kind of detail from BGS though.
I wouldn’t expect more, not when the scope of this game is so big. I don’t mean size game size, just all the mechanics in place.

This game really feels like the Jack of all trades for space stuff. And that usually means king of none. But that’s not a bad thing.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

I wouldn’t expect more, not when the scope of this game is so big. I don’t mean size game size, just all the mechanics in place.

This game really feels like the Jack of all trades for space stuff. And that usually means king of none. But that’s not a bad thing.

Agree. That's a tough ask when you have to weave several hundred hours of BGS storylines and quests across star systems, planets, and galaxies.

AI in Skyrim feels fine.

They respond appropriately to wide variety of situations.

From life threatening situations like dragon attack to all out civil war to you duping them etc.

Haven't played RDR2 yet but isn't it limited to responding to a few actions that you can take? That too simpler actions.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Agree. That's a tough ask when you have to weave several hundred hours of BGS storylines and quests across star systems, planets, and galaxies.
They’ve gone on record stating this game has the most lines of speech ever in their games. Scope is insane.

damidu

while im totally ready to be dissapointed in multiple ways, especially at launch.
ma hype is intensifyng for this

Stafford

It would be a bummer if they are the same as Fallout 4. Let them at least have some believeable chats with each other. They should at least have some realistic behaviour, adding to the immersion.

gow3isben

Metacritic 86 on Series X marred by being a technical mess, but otherwise very ambitious game with mid-tier shooting mechanics

Borderline unplayable on Series S

Will get dominated in sales by timed PS5 exclusive Baldurs Gate 3

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Metacritic 86 on Series X marred by being a technical mess, but otherwise very ambitious game with mid-tier shooting mechanics

What a take

Probably will age like milk.
Like I love BG3 and its success, but Starfield will be a monster in sales.

Quality will be up to debate, sales aren’t.

Tg89

Hoping it turns out good, recent Bethesda output doesn’t give me much hope. Feeling an 85 metacritic, lots of bugs, copy paste planets. Hopefully the base is good enough for modders to come in and save it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It would be a bummer if they are the same as Fallout 4. Let them at least have some believeable chats with each other. They should at least have some realistic behaviour, adding to the immersion.
I remember quite a few random conversations in Skyrim.

tmlDan

I want it to be great, i expect a high 80's score given how high expectations are based on the releases this year (ToTk, BG3 etc.)

I am just surprised at how little hype there is currently, maybe because the year is so packed with games but i expect it to ramp up soon. We complain about Sony marketing games late but it feels like MS is ignoring Starfield atm.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I want it to be great, i expect a high 80's score given how high expectations are based on the releases this year (ToTk, BG3 etc.)

I am just surprised at how little hype there is currently, maybe because the year is so packed with games but i expect it to ramp up soon. We complain about Sony marketing games late but it feels like MS is ignoring Starfield atm.
Personally, I don't think most MS games really even fit in a trailer with a sizzle reel or flashy elements. It's why I don't think they fit in with the Game Awards at all. Most of their stuff thrives with a deep dive and then just word of mouth enhanced with Gamepass making it easily available. I'm sure they still market, but it's just not the same as a flashy Marvel trailer, and no one under 50 years old watches cable anyway.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Baulder's Gate 3 had almost zero hype the week leading to its release. When it came out it was a phenomenon. Expect similar for starfield. Xbox will market it hard the week or 2 before.

tmlDan

Baulder's Gate 3 had almost zero hype the week leading to its release. When it came out it was a phenomenon. Expect similar for starfield. Xbox will market it hard the week or 2 before.
Larian isn't a massive publisher with billions of dollars of marketing power but i hope you're right

There was a lot of internet hype from Larian and they did a lot more community focused events than Bethesda has

Last edited:

gow3isben

Delusional.

Which part? That the game that isn’t on Gamepass and has a far larger install base and is breaking sales and critical records will beat it in sales? Or that it will likely be a technical mess being a Bethesda game that is incredible in scope and had to accommodate very weak hardware as well?

MarkMe2525

This game seems like the type where the more you put into it, the more you get out. Considering that, I think it will get hit with a large spattering of mid 70 scores. My prediction is 87.

MMaRsu

Banned
Rdr2 is like the best in gaming tho. Cant hold em to that standard. No other games are on that level.

After playing baldur's gate 3 I'm looking to starfield even more now, despite bg3 being my goty so far, I really want some real time battle rpgs, much better city reaction AI and a game that is much more moddable. The release dates of bg3 and starfield is in perfect timing, as long as the starfield main game isn't broken and hit its promises, both games would help out each other in terms of sales. Players that finished either game will likely be tired of the formula a bit and need some change by playing the other.
BG3 is superb but what BGS does better is enviornmental world building and making areas fell lived in. BG3 is like an amazing play where everyone knows their role and you can have an impact on the story, but the actual world doesn't feel lived in. If Starfield can hit the same nots as skyrim it will feel more like a lived in world which scratches a different itch.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This is a great take.

What happens if you fancy a space game right now and not a fantasy game? Or do sales make that fantasy game a space game?

FeastYoEyes

My biggest hope is that it is easy to get engrossed in like Skyrim and Fallout, and there's enough to do in the planets to make it feel meaningful. Very hype.

Interfectum

Between BG3 and Starfield, I'm really not sure I'll have time for anything else the rest of the year. These games seem massive and I'm like you in that I like to explore and take it all in.
Yup, got my 4080 almost ready for the fall. Looks like BG3 + Starfield + MK1 across Steam Deck and Gaming PC for the rest of the year.

Fredrik

I’m torn between getting it on PC or Console. Really want to know about performance on console and if mod support wil be one to one as PC. Outside of graphical mods.
Guessing: Official mods will be on both platforms, the modding tools will be on PC, Nexus mods will only work on PC, mods that are dabbling with exe files will only work on Steam.

Robb

Gold Member
BG3 is like an amazing play where everyone knows their role and you can have an impact on the story, but the actual world doesn't feel lived in.
I haven’t played BG3 but how are the environmental interactions? Can you cut down a tree? Go into someone’s house and interact with all the furniture, fruit etc. (pretty much anything)?

That stuff is also something BGS tend to excel at from what I can tell. But I guess that could fit your ‘lived in’ analogy as it does ad some weight to the actual world/environment.

Last edited:

Luipadre

I haven’t played BG3 but how are the environmental interactions? Can you cut down a tree? Go into someone’s house and interact with all the furniture, fruit etc. (pretty much anything)?

That stuff is also something BGS tend to excel at from what I can tell. But I guess that could fit your ‘lived in’ analogy as it does ad some weight to the actual world/environment.

The interactivity in BG3 is god tier that even translates into combat

Gobjuduck

Banned
There's a Q&A tomorrow, hopefully we will have some details (and an answer to DLSS support or not).
They have an AMD partnership, so no nvidia DLSS. It will likely only support FSR.

I’m playing it on console and pc, but I’m guessing it’s going to be pretty demanding on a lot of rigs for at least the end of the year.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Honest question, Why MS and Bethesda says that 30fps on consoles is a artistic/creative direction when PC ll run the game above 30fps ? if it is a artistic/creative direction the game shouldnt be locket at 30fps even on PC ?

By artistic decision they simply mean they chose graphically fidelity over FR and that at 60 fps on console, they couldn't achieve a level of fidelity they were happy with.

Top Bottom