• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbucks Will Close 8,000 US Stores May 29 for Racial-Bias Training

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I mean it kinda goes without saying you shouldn't really go out of your way to use rules to make another persons life shitty. It's pretty bizarre they couldn't bend the rules in this case and just leave them alone, they felt the need to get them out so bad they phoned the police. Crazy.

This is the number 1 thing that so disappointing about this Starbucks situation. The fact that she was soooooo eagered to kick them out of the store when they literally were doing nothing wrong at all. Especially when you consider that so many people use Starbucks this way (as a meeting up spot). Starbucks would be out of their mind if they wanted to publically acknowledge that they don't want people to meet up in their stores unless you bought something first.

Heck, I can go to McDonald's right now and wait for 10 minutes to meet up with someone and nobody in there would be trying to kick me out. No store manager will be telling me to buy something or get lost.

Dunki

This is the number 1 thing that so disappointing about this Starbucks situation. The fact that she was soooooo eagered to kick them out of the store when they literally were doing nothing wrong at all. Especially when you consider that so many people use Starbucks this way (as a meeting up spot). Starbucks would be out of their mind if they wanted to publically acknowledge that they don't want people to meet up in their stores unless you bought something first.

Heck, I can go to McDonald's right now and wait for 10 minutes to meet up with someone and nobody in there would be trying to kick me out. No store manager will be telling me to buy something or get lost.
I think it would be depend how busy it is. If there are spaces left yeah mostly not if there are not its getting complicated IMO.

pramod

Banned
Didn't the police chief claim that the 2 black dudes said something like "go ahead and call the police, we don't care?" And also that they were rude to the police? So was he lying?

Shiki_

Banned
Being assholes let you lose all rights you have here. If they acted like that after being asked to leave I would also have called the cops. Not because they are black but because they are assholes.

Fuck with cops, you go to jail here. That applies to all races. From the sounds of it they were hoping for this to happen after it was obvious things were escalating

So you are still want to think the two men are to fault, eh? Even if the conversation about call the police happened, it doesn't matter at all, because the fault is still at the manager who really wanted to throw those men of the Starbucks. It's was fucking nothing to matter if they said "call the police" after being told to leave the Starbuck without reasons, because it would only show how racist the manager is.

So you are still want to think the two men are to fault, eh? Even if the conversation about call the police happened, it doesn't matter at all, because the fault is still at the manager who really wanted to throw those men of the Starbucks. It's was fucking nothing to matter if they said "call the police" after being told to leave the Starbuck without reasons, because it would only show how racist the manager is.
I don't think people know what racism is anymore

Dunki

You do not even need reasons to throw people out of your OWN building. Again it is the decision of the manager. What you can do HOWEVER is leaving and then fill a complain. But the moment you say "we do not care call the cops" and act as assholes it is all on you.

And no this has nothing to do with being racist. Do I know the real intentions of the manager? NO I do not but the moment they went dickmode I see reason for her to call the cops.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Could you please define "dickmode" all I seen where two guys calmly having a conversation about how they where being treated.

Dunki

Could you please define "dickmode" all I seen where two guys calmly having a conversation about how they where being treated.
acting high and mighty telling her to call the cops. There is still a house right going on. Again if you think it is unfair fill out a complain after you leave. Make it a higher up case and then if she was not right she gets punished.

Dunki

Cool, good too know I can get high and mighty customers arrested on the spot.

Plenty of people going to jail now!
It is their right to make you leave again house right. When you act like you do not care and laugh about it it is your fault. Normally people leave when they are asked to leave at least in my country. If not they call the police as well. AGain if you feel its unjustified leave and fill a complain but do stay in there. It also called trespassing.

You do not even need reasons to throw people out of your OWN building. Again it is the decision of the manager. What you can do HOWEVER is leaving and then fill a complain. But the moment you say "we do not care call the cops" and act as assholes it is all on you.

It is not the manager's "own" Starbucks - they do not own it. They are an employee that has been hired to manage the Starbucks.

The manager has a right to call the cops and have the people removed. Starbucks has the right to terminate the manager for poor judgment and causing a PR fiasco.

This isn't complicated.

Dunki

It is not the manager's "own" Starbucks - they do not own it. They are an employee that has been hired to manage the Starbucks.

The manager has a right to call the cops and have the people removed. Starbucks has the right to terminate the manager for poor judgment and causing a PR fiasco.

This isn't complicated.
I never said that Starbucks can not do this. I am just saying that the arrest was on them not on the manager.

Again, it's interesting how this concept comes up over and over in political discussions.

The freedom to make a decision does not protect you from the consequences of that decision. Welcome to the real world: where ultimately no one gives a shit about your left or right-wing excuse for why you did something stupid.

Blood Borne

I'm still baffled by the indignation and hysteria this incident attracted. Seems like some people are recklessly determined on pushing this "America is evil" narrative".

Dunki

And thankfully society seems to have frowned upon this managers action and she paid the price.
The question here is was it worth it? If she was not racist and acted like she normally would have than she will become more biased and gather some hatred. And so did people who did not agree with Starbucks forced diversity training. Starbucks was being made fun of of and also created a lot of hostility when black people trolled them and demanded a free coffee. I do not know if this was worth the money they now have to spend but again it is not my call to waste money like that.

All I know that this was another incident to divide the US even more in terms of race. And the Kayne west event right now is another one.

Dad.

It is a private business. If they want to spend time extra time training their employees to be better, then great!

TheMikado

Banned
The question here is was it worth it? If she was not racist and acted like she normally would have than she will become more biased and gather some hatred. And so did people who did not agree with Starbucks forced diversity training. Starbucks was being made fun of of and also created a lot of hostility when black people trolled them and demanded a free coffee. I do not know if this was worth the money they now have to spend but again it is not my call to waste money like that.

All I know that this was another incident to divide the US even more in terms of race. And the Kayne west event right now is another one.

Starbucks is a business and has particular traction in liberal circles.

Because of how corporations act in the US they will do everything possible to appeal to their shareholders. Their shareholders care about the dollars and cents.
If Starbucks makes their liberal patrons unhappy they can basically kiss their business goodbye. It was a calculated call and well worth it for Starbucks bottom-line regardless of whether you agree with the politics or not.

Politics-of-Place-Image.jpg

mckmas8808

Kanye West is straight up acting like a clown. I've listened to his music for about 15 years. There's a lot of conservatives that feel like Kanye is finally learning how they feel. Little do they know, they will end up disappointed when they find out this is more about Kanye getting attention. Him being mad at the so-called "thought police" is laughable.

Dunki

Kanye West is straight up acting like a clown. I've listened to his music for about 15 years. There's a lot of conservatives that feel like Kanye is finally learning how they feel. Little do they know, they will end up disappointed when they find out this is more about Kanye getting attention. Him being mad at the so-called "thought police" is laughable.
I think it is more about free speech than about politics IMO. But it is funny how they now put him in some alt right red pilling corner like these alt left people always do^^

mckmas8808

I think it is more about free speech than about politics IMO. But it is funny how they now put him in some alt right red pilling corner like these alt left people always do^^

Yeah but Dunki look at what Alex Jones just said......

I mean come on bro! Alex Jones? Really?..... Nobody is looking to take free speech away.

Last edited:

Dunki

Yeah but Dunki look at what Alex Jones just said......

I mean come on bro! Alex Jones? Really?..... Nobody is looking to take free speech away.
Just because someone endorses you does not mean you are on his/her side. Kanye said something people like Alex Jones will use or agree with but you can not put Kanye into some alt right corner because of it. And Yes I do think that people want to take away free speech especially on campuses which is really scary to me if I am honest.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned

Just came and read this from the Scott Adams thread... the fact that people thinking Kanye supporting a conservative viewpoint is controversial have to be some of the most closed minded people I’ve ever met. They probably have no idea ow many rappers or black icons have expressed some support or agreement with Trump. This extreme partisanship nonsense is absurd.

Yeah, no. That's a bit uncalled don't you think?

Usually the people most vocal on things (i.e. trying to label someone or their behavior as racist) usually turn out to be the racist themselves as they only see things in such narrow view on race. Rather than judging the character / content of the person they react to an incident based on someone’s skin color.

mckmas8808

Just came and read this from the Scott Adams thread... the fact that people thinking Kanye supporting a conservative viewpoint is controversial have to be some of the most closed minded people I’ve ever met. They probably have no idea ow many rappers or black icons have expressed some support or agreement with Trump. This extreme partisanship nonsense is absurd.

It's bigger than that and I can clearly see that most here just don't/can't understand. If you know Kanye "the artist" then you'd understand why his full support of Candace Owens is confusing and sorta ridiculous. Candance Owens is the same lady that said that "Police brutality is not an issue that is facing the black community whatsoever." And she's 100% against the Black Lives Matter movement. Candance has called the Black Lives Matter movement a "bunch of whiners".

So know Kanye wants people to read him write that he approves of this lady after what he said about President Bush? After all the things that he's said in his albums that go hand in hand, almost word for word with what most people in the Black Lives Matter movement feel? And he wants us to be cool with him saying these things with no response or commentary at all? So we can't have opinions on his crazy Twitter post? God forbid we also have opinions on his flip flopping of beliefs because that would mean we want to strip him of his freedom and thought lol. Get outta here with that noise. After he married Kim Kardashian, it seems like he's changing.

Shiki_

Banned
Usually the people most vocal on things (i.e. trying to label someone or their behavior as racist) usually turn out to be the racist themselves as they only see things in such narrow view on race. Rather than judging the character / content of the person they react to an incident based on someone’s skin color.

Sure, until I start to write racist commentary you can call me one. Like the ones from the close thread, which at least comes to ban two racist users.

TheMikado

Banned
It's bigger than that and I can clearly see that most here just don't/can't understand. If you know Kanye "the artist" then you'd understand why his full support of Candace Owens is confusing and sorta ridiculous. Candance Owens is the same lady that said that "Police brutality is not an issue that is facing the black community whatsoever." And she's 100% against the Black Lives Matter movement. Candance has called the Black Lives Matter movement a "bunch of whiners".

So know Kanye wants people to read him write that he approves of this lady after what he said about President Bush? After all the things that he's said in his albums that go hand in hand, almost word for word with what most people in the Black Lives Matter movement feel? And he wants us to be cool with him saying these things with no response or commentary at all? So we can't have opinions on his crazy Twitter post? God forbid we also have opinions on his flip flopping of beliefs because that would mean we want to strip him of his freedom and thought lol. Get outta here with that noise. After he married Kim Kardashian, it seems like he's changing.

No, I disagree, the only way you would think that they could not have something in common is that if you know neither of them and only take hyperpartisanship at it's inherit value without understanding either individuals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Owens

Candace Owens
Owens in 2018
Born 1990 (age 27–28)
Stamford, Connecticut, U.S.Residence New York City, New York, U.S.Nationality AmericanEducation B.A. University of Rhode IslandOccupation Journalist
Public speaker
Blogger

Candace Owens (born 1990) is an American writer, producer, and conservative commentator.[1][2][3]

Biography[edit]
Born to an African American family and raised in Stamford, Connecticut,[4] she is a graduate of Stamford High School.[1] In 2007, while a senior in high school, she received hurtful and threatening racist phone calls that were traced to a car in which the son of Governor Dannel Malloy was present.[1] Owens' family sued the Stamford Board of Education in federal court alleging that the city did not protect her rights, resulting in a $37,500 settlement.[1][5]

Owens graduated with a B.A. in journalism from the University of Rhode Island.[4] Afterwards, she worked for Vogue magazine.[1] In 2012, she took a job as an administrative assistant for a private equity firm.[1] In 2015, she quit her job to found the website Degree180, which creates Internet content targeted at millennials.[1] In one article she wrote that the antics of the Tea Party Movement were "bat-shit-crazy".[6]

Having experienced online cruelty first hand, Owens launched SocialAutopsy.com in 2016, a website she said would expose bullies on the Internet.[1] The site would have solicited users to take screenshots of offensive posts and send them to the website where they would be categorized by the user's name.[1] It was being crowdfunded on Kickstarter. The proposal was immediately controversial, drawing criticism and comment from a variety of sources on the propriety of de-anonymizing (doxing) Internet users.[7] According to The Daily Dot, "People from all sides of the anti-harassment debate were quick to criticize the database, calling it a public-shaming list that would encourage doxing and retaliatory harassment."[8] Zoe Quinn, founder of the Crash Override Network and an online bullying victim (see Gamergate controversy), called her to request that she stop her project.[7] Randi Lee Harper of the Online Abuse Prevention Initiative also requested that she desist, suggesting that she did not fully understand cyber-bullying (due to Owens having referred to Quinn as a leader of Gamergate).[7] Owens responded that Social Autopsy was not meant to be a doxing platform and that no one making abusive posts anonymously would be "outed" by name or place of employment. Kickstarter suspended her funding campaign, and the website was never created, despite having created profiles on over 22,000 individuals (per their assertion).[7] The site has since been closed.

In 2017, Owens launched Red Pill Black, a website and YouTube channel that promotes conservatism to a black American audience.[2][9]
On November 21, 2017, at the MAGA Rally and Expo in Rockford, Illinois, Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk announced her appointment as their director of urban engagement.[10]

Again, the only way you would think that these two individuals could never agree on something is to have the majority of your news come from social media and false information rather than the content of their work. You are painting Candance Owens as some hyper anti-black conservative. Candance Owens has done more than many of us in fighting for rights. Taking individual incidents or life choices as some greater example of these people'e ideology is exact what the problem is in the US. Candance and Kanye apparently "cannot" have anything in common is absurdist extremism and the same mindset as crusaders and jihadist.

Not supporting black lives matter DOES NOT make you anti-black.

TheMikado

Banned
Its worth noting that Candace Owens got "famous" off of basically shitting on black liberals.

But she's a black conservative. It doesn't mean she's suddenly not black or that racism doesn't exist.

It's not a zero sum game. She doesn't like nor agree with BLM, that doesn't suddenly make her an enemy of black people, nor does agreeing with an opinion of her's suddenly make Kanye West an enemy.
She cr*pped on the tea party movement too, does that suddenly may her a liberal activist?

This is kind of the problem. Having one opinion defines your entire ideology.
In the US apparently you can't be:

Pro-gun & Support BLM
For gay right & pro-choice
Or pro-military law enforcement & against capital punishment

The fact is making these gated platforms where purity tests are required to even have a conversation are part of the problem, they aren't solving anything.
There are legitimate conversations to be had, but right now the ones doing all the talking are the icons. That fact the more political debate happens on twitter and Facebook than in newspaper editorials is frightening of our current environment.

How would you politically qualify a person who bashes both the Tea Party Movement and BLM? Two movements which are supposedly opposite sides and platforms. Being against TPM didn't suddenly morph her into a liberal.

Last edited:
But she's a black conservative. It doesn't mean she's suddenly not black or that racism doesn't exist.

It's not a zero sum game. She doesn't like nor agree with BLM, that doesn't suddenly make her an enemy of black people, nor does agreeing with an opinion of her's suddenly make Kanye West an enemy.
She cr*pped on the tea party movement too, does that suddenly may her a liberal activist?

This is kind of the problem. Having one opinion defines your entire ideology.
In the US apparently you can't be:

Pro-gun & Support BLM
For gay right & pro-choice
Or pro-military law enforcement & against capital punishment

The fact is making these gated platforms where purity tests are required to even have a conversation are part of the problem, they aren't solving anything.
There are legitimate conversations to be had, but right now the ones doing all the talking are the icons. That fact the more political debate happens on twitter and Facebook than in newspaper editorials is frightening of our current environment.

How would you politically qualify a person who bashes both the Tea Party Movement and BLM? Two movements which are supposedly opposite sides and platforms. Being against TPM didn't suddenly morph her into a liberal.

She peddles victim or victor narratives, which is squarely a "shut up about racism" tactic. Whom her audience is I don't know, but it's probably not black people. Her animosity against BLM appeals to only a teeny tiny amount of black people, but is very popular with like-minded groups.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMikado

Banned
She peddles victim or victor narratives, which is squarely a "shut up about racism" tactic. Whom her audience is I don't know, but it's probably not black people. Her animosity against BLM appeals to only a teeny tiny amount of black people, but is very popular with like-minded groups.

Have you ever read any of her actual pieces? Personally I can barely read it but that's a separate issue...
https://web.archive.org/web/2017082...can-tea-party-is-being-led-by-the-mad-hatter/

BY CANDACE OWENS
"Degree180 launched a full-scale investigation into the bat-shit-crazy antics of the Republican Tea Party and the results are not-so-shocking to say the least:
Yes, we can officially confirm that our beloved Republican Tea Party is being led by the Mad Hatter and us millennials have been thrust into their wonderland.
The good news is, they will eventually die off (peacefully in their sleep, we hope), and then we can get right on with the OBVIOUS social change that needs to happen, IMMEDIATELY.
So what are the three things we can expect to happen when that last tea-party coffin is sealed?

1.THE GAY-TRANSGENDERED-BI-STRAIGHT-ANYTHING-ELSE CONVERSATION WILL BE INSTANTLY OVER, DELETED, DONE.

Because us millennials literally never even gave a shit about this. I actually remember being in 3rd grade and piecing together in my head that one of my guy friends was homosexual. I didn’t give a shit then, I don’t give a shit now, and the fact that he actually had to give a shit until this year about being himself is the most ridiculously pathetic and stupid thing that our government has inflicted upon a group of people for being themselves, since slavery. IT IS NOT MY BUSINESS WHO SOMEBODY ELSE WANTS TO HAVE SEX WITH OR LOVE. NOT YOURS EITHER, TEA-PARTY PEEPS. I ACTUALLY FIND IT CREEPY THAT YOU HAVE CARED SO MUCH AND FOR SO LONG ABOUT SOMEBODY ELSE’S SEX LIFE.

2. PEOPLE WILL INSTANTLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE PRESIDENT’S PENIS SHOULD NEVER BE A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION. LIKE, EVER.

Or any other political office-holder for that matter. Frankly, me and my millennial peers did not exactly understand why it was such a big deal that Bill Clinton got a blow job in his office. I don’t care who my doctor, banker, grocery-bagger, or any other person that I may come across in my daily life is having sex with– AS LONG AS THEY DO THEIR FUCKING JOBS. All of that talk about “but his morals” gets you nothing but a mandatory STFU from me. Unless you are Hilary Clinton, it was not and will never be your business, and if a person I worked for ever asked me about my sex life, I’d probably LIE to them too. When he does something ILLEGAL (See definition: contrary to, or forbidden by law), then please, give us a call. In the meantime– let’s talk about REAL issues. Ones that affect the world, not one man’s marriage. I can think of about a thousand we can choose from.

3. WOMEN’S REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS AND ISSUES WILL NO LONGER BE A TOPIC OF PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE.

Call me weird but personally, when it comes to my ovaries, I prefer to speak to my gynecologist. I don’t think the LEADERS OF THE FREE WORLD, should have to be an expert on the issue, nor should they ever publicly voice their opinions. Yes, I understand that it was recently confirmed that the republicans are actually stuck in the 1950’s, and the leading scientists of the world are doing everything in their power to correct the time warp, but like, COME ON!! Also, when I consider the hot button topic of abortion, I’d like to do so with, I don’t know– maybe my fucking partner–the one who impregnates me? Maybe even my best friend? My mother? Certainly NOT my god damn president so STOP asking that redundant, inappropriate question during presidential debates.

CLEARLY the Mad Hatter has been aggressively pushing an agenda of genitals over the last few decades, for which, we salute you tea-partiers for fighting the good fight, but really... we are DONE with this, and demanding an end to this ridiculousness, NOW. "

You can clearly see she has what would be considered liberal positions and platforms, yet somehow gets lumped into the almost alt-right basket. What I'm trying to explain is how silly and absurd this partisanship categorizing is without people knowing anything about a person beyond what someone else told they was offensive about them, then taking that small amount of information and extrapolating on what their other positions must be.

mckmas8808

No, I disagree, the only way you would think that they could not have something in common is that if you know neither of them and only take hyperpartisanship at it's inherit value without understanding either individuals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Owens

Candace Owens
Owens in 2018
Born 1990 (age 27–28)
Stamford, Connecticut, U.S.Residence New York City, New York, U.S.Nationality AmericanEducation B.A. University of Rhode IslandOccupation Journalist
Public speaker
Blogger

Candace Owens (born 1990) is an American writer, producer, and conservative commentator.[1][2][3]

Biography[edit]
Born to an African American family and raised in Stamford, Connecticut,[4] she is a graduate of Stamford High School.[1] In 2007, while a senior in high school, she received hurtful and threatening racist phone calls that were traced to a car in which the son of Governor Dannel Malloy was present.[1] Owens' family sued the Stamford Board of Education in federal court alleging that the city did not protect her rights, resulting in a $37,500 settlement.[1][5]

Owens graduated with a B.A. in journalism from the University of Rhode Island.[4] Afterwards, she worked for Vogue magazine.[1] In 2012, she took a job as an administrative assistant for a private equity firm.[1] In 2015, she quit her job to found the website Degree180, which creates Internet content targeted at millennials.[1] In one article she wrote that the antics of the Tea Party Movement were "bat-shit-crazy".[6]

Having experienced online cruelty first hand, Owens launched SocialAutopsy.com in 2016, a website she said would expose bullies on the Internet.[1] The site would have solicited users to take screenshots of offensive posts and send them to the website where they would be categorized by the user's name.[1] It was being crowdfunded on Kickstarter. The proposal was immediately controversial, drawing criticism and comment from a variety of sources on the propriety of de-anonymizing (doxing) Internet users.[7] According to The Daily Dot, "People from all sides of the anti-harassment debate were quick to criticize the database, calling it a public-shaming list that would encourage doxing and retaliatory harassment."[8] Zoe Quinn, founder of the Crash Override Network and an online bullying victim (see Gamergate controversy), called her to request that she stop her project.[7] Randi Lee Harper of the Online Abuse Prevention Initiative also requested that she desist, suggesting that she did not fully understand cyber-bullying (due to Owens having referred to Quinn as a leader of Gamergate).[7] Owens responded that Social Autopsy was not meant to be a doxing platform and that no one making abusive posts anonymously would be "outed" by name or place of employment. Kickstarter suspended her funding campaign, and the website was never created, despite having created profiles on over 22,000 individuals (per their assertion).[7] The site has since been closed.

In 2017, Owens launched Red Pill Black, a website and YouTube channel that promotes conservatism to a black American audience.[2][9]
On November 21, 2017, at the MAGA Rally and Expo in Rockford, Illinois, Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk announced her appointment as their director of urban engagement.[10]

Again, the only way you would think that these two individuals could never agree on something is to have the majority of your news come from social media and false information rather than the content of their work. You are painting Candance Owens as some hyper anti-black conservative. Candance Owens has done more than many of us in fighting for rights. Taking individual incidents or life choices as some greater example of these people'e ideology is exact what the problem is in the US. Candance and Kanye apparently "cannot" have anything in common is absurdist extremism and the same mindset as crusaders and jihadist.

Not supporting black lives matter DOES NOT make you anti-black.

You still aren't getting it. You are making this about Kanye agreeing with something that Candace has said. Every human on planet Earth can agree with a few things that anybody says. I'm 100% sure I'd agree with somethings Hitler believes too. It's not about that. It's bigger than that and you clearly don't get it. And this is why the divide in this country (and many others to be honest) will always exist. Something so clear is being seen completely differently by two able-bodied individuals.

For instance, Kanye West in the last few days has said this too......“Constantly bringing up the past keeps you stuck there”, “Get past the past”, “We have freedom of speech but not freedom of thought”, etc. Then he endorses the thinking of a person that says Black Lives Matter groups have a victim mentality. And that they play the so-called "victim card" too much. And Kanye has told the Hot 97 DJ "Ebro" that he wants people to challenge conventional "Black" thought more and that we are mentally trapped. That last part alone is troubling because it makes it seem as if he thinks all black people think alike.

And I never said Kanye West or Candace were anti-black.

TheMikado

Banned
Her animosity against BLM appeals to only a teeny tiny amount of black people, but is very popular with like-minded groups.

I also want to address this narrative because the number isn't insignificant and more black people oppose BLM than Hispanics. Obviously a very large portion of whites oppose it as well, but to act as if BLM support among black people is unified and opposition is rare would be misleading. In either case opinions are not homogeneous.

ST_2016.06.27_race-inequality-ch4-06.png

TheMikado

Banned
You still aren't getting it. You are making this about Kanye agreeing with something that Candace has said. Every human on planet Earth can agree with a few things that anybody says. I'm 100% sure I'd agree with somethings Hitler believes too. It's not about that. It's bigger than that and you clearly don't get it. And this is why the divide in this country (and many others to be honest) will always exist. Something so clear is being seen completely differently by two able-bodied individuals.

For instance, Kanye West in the last few days has said this too......“Constantly bringing up the past keeps you stuck there”, “Get past the past”, “We have freedom of speech but not freedom of thought”, etc. Then he endorses the thinking of a person that says Black Lives Matter groups have a victim mentality. And that they play the so-called "victim card" too much. And Kanye has told the Hot 97 DJ "Ebro" that he wants people to challenge conventional "Black" thought more and that we are mentally trapped. That last part alone is troubling because it makes it seem as if he thinks all black people think alike.

And I never said Kanye West or Candace were anti-black.

I am missing your point because it's not making sense at all. Everything you said illustrates that think similarly. What is the issue? I am not viewing this as whether they are right or not. I'm trying to understand why Kanye agreeing with Candace is controversial when Kanye and Candance seem to have similar thinking all along. Kanye's entire hook is about unconventional means and taking different paths than the norm. I'm failing to see what your point is. There's nothing confusing about Kanye talking about thinking "differently" when he's built his artistic persona around that premise.

mckmas8808

I also want to address this narrative because the number isn't insignificant and more black people oppose BLM than Hispanics. Obviously a very large portion of whites oppose it as well, but to act as if BLM support among black people is unified and opposition is rare would be misleading. In either case opinions are not homogeneous.

Come one Mikado you are smarter than this. The difference between opposing BLM among black and Hispanic people is a statistical tie. It's Black people 12% to Brown people's 11%. And it'll probably be a better question for Candace and Kanye to ask, "why do you think so many Black support BLM?"

Last edited:

I'm not actually surprised that she would have those positions, but it is nice that she has them. The support for BLM is really high, good enough for me, but more on point I wonder if the way candace preaches about BLM would even resonate with those in the disapprove group.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMikado

Banned
Come one Mikado you are smarter than this. The difference between opposing BLM among black and Hispanic people is a statistical tie. It's Black people 12% to Brown people's 11%. And it'll probably be a better question for Candace and Kanye to ask, "why do you think so many Black support BLM?"

Whether its a statistical tie or not is irrelevant, the point I was making your premise is that the number of black people is minuscule, I merely used it to show that black support is not as overwhelming as you stated and actually (according to this statistic) has more detractors from black people than other racial groups. The point was never about the Hispanic rate but the remove the idea that black support of BLM was homogeneous even when compared to other racial groups.

As to the question of "Why do you think so many black people support BLM?" That's a question that should be asked and discussed, but I'm not arguing the validity of BLM, that for those two to figure out.

TheMikado

Banned
I'm not actually surprised that she would have those positions, but it is nice that she has them. The support for BLM is really high, good enough for me, but more on point I wonder if the way candace preaches about BLM would even resonate with those in the disapprove group.

I would think so, but I also find that that is simply her style of "writing". Personally I am not a fan, but she's definitely a Rushlimbaugh type figure. I also don't know her audience, there are enough of those individuals who agree with her for her to have an audience.

As for her positions, they seem in-line with something Kanye would say as well so that's why this isn't baffling at all. She's been this way for years.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I am missing your point because it's not making sense at all. Everything you said illustrates that think similarly. What is the issue? I am not viewing this as whether they are right or not. I'm trying to understand why Kanye agreeing with Candace is controversial when Kanye and Candance seem to have similar thinking all along. Kanye's entire hook is about unconventional means and taking different paths than the norm. I'm failing to see what your point is. There's nothing confusing about Kanye talking about thinking "differently" when he's built his artistic persona around that premise.

No you don't get it because you don't know Kanye's music or the interviews that he's done in the past. I'm actually a HUGE Kanye fan and have been for about 15 years. What he's saying now goes against many of the things that he's rapped, sung, and talked about in years past. Thinking differently just for the sake of thinking differently is the weakest approach any human can take. It's the most non-critical thinking thing a person can do. That person has no ideas or convictions, except to buck the trend or to be contrarian just for the sake of it.

What Candace talks about doesn't align with the Kanye of 2003-2016. Personally, I think Kanye is faking it all because he has an album coming out 6 weeks or he really is mentally unstable and still needs more help.

Whether its a statistical tie or not is irrelevant, the point I was making your premise is that the number of black people is minuscule, I merely used it to show that black support is not as overwhelming as you stated and actually (according to this statistic) has more detractors from black people than other racial groups. The point was never about the Hispanic rate but the remove the idea that black support of BLM was homogeneous even when compared to other racial groups.

As to the question of "Why do you think so many black people support BLM?" That's a question that should be asked and discussed, but I'm not arguing the validity of BLM, that for those two to figure out.

Black support is VERY overwhelming for BLM. Your poll from Pew shows that. 65% approve to 12% disapprove. That's a clear and huge difference. But I never said or thought all black people liked BLM. I never said that. As a matter of fact you should show this to Candace as she is the one making that point. I already know that black people already have many different beliefs. It's Kanye that doesn't seem to know or understand that.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
No you don't get it because you don't know Kanye's music or the interviews that he's done in the past. I'm actually a HUGE Kanye fan and have been for about 15 years. What he's saying now goes against many of the things that he's rapped, sung, and talked about in years past. Thinking differently just for the sake of thinking differently is the weakest approach any human can take. It's the most non-critical thinking thing a person can do. That person has no ideas or convictions, except to buck the trend or to be contrarian just for the sake of it.

What Candace talks about doesn't align with the Kanye of 2003-2016. Personally, I think Kanye is faking it all because he has an album coming out 6 weeks or he really is mentally unstable and still needs more help.
Black support is VERY overwhelming for BLM. Your poll from Pew shows that. 65% approve to 12% disapprove. That's a clear and huge difference.

Ok since we are talking about Kanye as a person and an artist now, Kanye's early albums were certainly a critique of social norms and standards. It was simultaneously empowering but also criticized the "fake-ness" of society, hip-hop culture, etc.
Kanye as a person has grown and matured substantially over 15 years. Not necessarily all for the better, but his mindset has always been about taking a critical eye to how "true" any given norm was. It's not that his method of thinking has shifted, its that his targets have shifted and they've landed on something you feel he shouldn't be critical of. The fact is Kanye's critical eye for "truth" has always been via perspective. I'm not saying he's wrong or right, what I'm saying is he's doing the same thing he's always done. Look at the same thing everyone else sees and tries to look at it differently from another angle. As for him needed mental help, I agree and would like his old music back. I'm not feeling his new stuff, but I can see you're letting your love for him as an artists dictate your perception of him. I can understand that, but this isn't abnormal for Kanye, he doesn't have mental issues for agreeing with Candace Owens. His erratic behavior and hyper-narcissistic behavior are a different story.

As for black support of BLM. 12% of a population isn't insignificant. Like 65% of the US is white and 12% black, but you wouldn't black people don't matter. That's still an important portion of the population.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Ok since we are talking about Kanye as a person and an artist now, Kanye's early albums were certainly a critique of social norms and standards. It was simultaneously empowering but also criticized the "fake-ness" of society, hip-hop culture, etc.
Kanye as a person has grown and matured substantially over 15 years. Not necessarily all for the better, but his mindset has always been about taking a critical eye to how "true" any given norm was. It's not that his method of thinking has shifted, its that his targets have shifted and they've landed on something you feel he shouldn't be critical of. The fact is Kanye's critical eye for "truth" has always been via perspective. I'm not saying he's wrong or right, what I'm saying is he's doing the same thing he's always done. Look at the same thing everyone else sees and tries to look at it differently from another angle. As for him needed mental help, I agree and would like his old music back. I'm not feeling his new stuff, but I can see you're letting your love for him as an artists dictate your perception of him. I can understand that, but this isn't abnormal for Kanye, he doesn't have mental issues for agreeing with Candace Owens. His erratic behavior and hyper-narcissistic behavior are a different story.

As for black support of BLM. 12% of a population isn't insignificant. Like 65% of the US is white and 12% black, but you wouldn't black people don't matter. That's still an important portion of the population.

No I'm 100% okay with being critical of any and everything. Just be honest about it and don't do it just to be contrarian. I do at times allow the artist dictate my perception of him and he's one of the most confusing artists of our time when it comes to separating the person from the music. It's so tough to look at the same person and realize that, as a fan, you have to have two minds when it comes to having an opinion about this person.

What I'm criticizing about Kanye is his belief that you can't have different opinions in this country. This fake belief that everyone thinks the same thing and that we are all trapped mentally and brainwashed. You are right that he had his finger on the pulse when it came to rapping about this on his first album, but now it feels like he's cranked up those believes 500%.

Everyone doesn't think the same. College campuses, debate shows, TED talks, and even Twitter will show that many people have different opinions and we are all surviving well. Like you said 12% of black people disagree with BLM. Am I to believe they are all not allowed to go to the family cookout? Do they lose their jobs for liking Trump? Do those black people still get to have a platform? Candace is an example that you can be a black conservative and disagree with BLM and still make it in this country.

Top Bottom